Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vqw
Aug 8, 2008
Why did my ex-girlfriend get high blood pressure after she gave birth? It doesn't make sense. She's a runner and eats very healthy. I feel bad that she has to take meds to keep her blood pressure down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
Since going off the pill, my skin has gone back to being really bad.

Plus, I got a clear LH surge on the OPK test, but no temp rise, no cervical fluid, nothing. It's the first month I've ever charted, so I'm not sure if it's happened before.

It has been a very stressful month, so that may be why. I'm really hoping it's not an ongoing issue. The lack of ovulation plus the teenager skin is making me crazy.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
How long have you been off the Pill? According to to TCOYF, it can take a few months for cervical fluid to go back to normal after stopping taking birth control.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006
For about six or seven months. Maybe it is normal, but I am getting rather impatient. I'm sure it's at least partially due to stress though, I have had a really stressful month. I guess it is the body's way of saying "you've got too much going on right now, I hereby ban you from doing any more". Or something.

Also, I must throw in my approval of TCOYF. It was very informative.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I went off birth control in January and last month was the first time I ovulated. I had also been stressed out before then so who knows if that was a factor. It looks like I'll be ovulating in a day or two. I'll be in Disney World then. Maybe I'll have to name our first kid Donald.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

vqw posted:

Why did my ex-girlfriend get high blood pressure after she gave birth? It doesn't make sense. She's a runner and eats very healthy. I feel bad that she has to take meds to keep her blood pressure down.

That's post-partum high blood pressure. They don't know for sure what causes it. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesn't. A friend of mine had it and had to be rehospitalized a few days after having her son. Luckily it went away with treatment.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Miss Shell posted:

Also, I must throw in my approval of TCOYF. It was very informative.

Yeah, I'm reading it right now, and I am learning more than I ever imagined. I'm super irregular in cycle length, so learning how to chart my fertility is about the only way I'm going to be able to get pregnant naturally (we'll see if I can!)

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

qentiox posted:

Good luck, Longpig. I got pregnant with my daughter 2 months after a miscarriage, so hopefully you won't have to wait long if you don't want to.
Indeed. My wife is pregnant right now and she got pregnant again before even having a period after her miscarriage.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Thanks (to you and others)... I am really hoping we can get pregnant again soon - ideally this month. How far along is your wife now? I wish you guys a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
My sister in law also got pregnant before her first period after a miscarriage. I should be getting a niece in about 3 weeks!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Miss Shell posted:

Since going off the pill, my skin has gone back to being really bad.

My skin got REALLY terrible about 5 months after I got off the pill. I had been on it from 16 to 23, so I didn't know what my skin would be like off of it. I didn't come off to TTC though. It was because the hormones were doing some really bad things to me mentally and I have too many risk factors for clotting. My doctor had been asking me to come off for a few months, so I finally did. Unfortunately the only thing that really helped me was Accutane. It made a tremendous difference, but you absolutely cannot use it if planning on TCC, when pregnant or breastfeeding. The only other thing that helped at all was changing my skin care products to organic and using a moisturizer after each wash. I hope it gets better for you.

Longpig, good luck. I hope it happens quickly for you guys!

SKeefe, how's your wife doing? Everything going well?

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I have managed to keep my breakouts under control with Tea Tree Oil, which is effective and pregnancy safe.

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006

Lannie posted:

SKeefe, how's your wife doing? Everything going well?
She is doing fine I guess, although she has been pretty sick as far as nausea/vomiting goes.

I've actually got a number of questions I've been wanting to post, but we actually have our first visit with the doctor tomorrow, so I figured I could just ask him. Since she is around 10 weeks now, they will be attempting to hear the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler(?) tomorrow.

edit - I guess I'll go ahead and post a few questions since I'm here.

As far as the nausea goes, like I said she has been pretty sick. She basically is very very hungry and has to eat every hour or two or else she starts to feel sick (although she still ends up being sick when she does eat regularly). She has only thrown up a few times, but she feels sick quite a bit. She doesn't really throw up a whole lot, just a lot of gagging, etc. Really it seems like her gag reflex has gotten really bad, where she almost throws up when brushing her teeth, etc. Is this normal? This happens in the morning, afternoon, even in the middle of the night.

She has gotten a couple of really bad headaches, one to the point where she threw up and didn't really know if she threw up because she was nauseated from being pregnant or because she had such a bad headache. Is that normal?

Also, and this is weird, but she has told me that when she has been feeling nauseated a lot, it actually makes her feel sick to look at her ultrasound picture, or to look at the baby development pictures online, or once even when she saw a really pregnant woman out somewhere. I told her I guess it is just her mind correlating her being pregnant with being sick, but it seems sort of worrisome. When she has been feeling fine, none of this occurs.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, that's all pretty normal I think. I had pretty severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (NVP) my first pregnancy. My gag reflex got worse, swallowing those giant prenatals could be trouble.

With the headache, the throwing up could be NVP triggered by her headache or just due to the headache. Some people throw up from severe headaches even when not pregnant. She should probably mention the headaches at her doctor's visit tomorrow, they like to keep track of symptoms like that, and they may have some useful suggestions.

I would agree with your guess that the NVP caused by pregnancy things is psychological. Severe NVP can cause you to develop all kinds of weird nausea triggers. I couldn't watch those baby shows on TLC without getting nauseous. That's also true for Jon and Kate plus 8, but that may have been caused by Kate Gosselin being such a harpy.

NVP usually subsides by the 12 week mark, tell your wife to hang in there, she'll be through it soon. And you should consider renting a Doppler for the rest of the pregnancy - they are safe to use at home several times a week, when I was feeling sick it sometimes helped to hear my son's heartbeat.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Well, we're taking a break. I'm just sort of over the emotional bullshit that comes along with infertility. Need to take some time to get my sanity back.

Good luck everyone!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
well, we are pregnant. really trying for 2 months, wife didn't think she was at all but went ahead and used a test and there ya go, big ole + sign.

good luck everyone

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Congrats!!!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Crap, I'm out this month. That means IUI with injectibles this month, which would be fine if it didn't also mean canceling my vacation plans!

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

SKeefe posted:

Nausea, yaking..
I will swear by 1/2 a Unisom (doxylamine succinate) tablet mixed with B6. It's a remedy that lots of midwifes and ob's tell their patients to take. It's worked wonders for me (for both my REALLY bad insomnia and meh nausea). Though assuming that her nausea was worse than mine, her doc might recommend a full Unisom tablet (though it will make her fall asleep and feel like a zombie. 1/2 a dose makes you sleep well and feel WONDERFUL the next morning). You should come visit us in the pregnancy thread. :) I hope the doctor appointment went well!

Pixi, good luck and try to relax. Taking a break is definitely a good idea if it was stressing you out. I hope that when you guys are ready again that it comes quickly for you!

Don Lapre, congrats!

Azulita, what's in the injectables? Just a fertility booster?

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Menopur and Bravelle starting CD2, Ganirelix starting CD6, and Novarel as a trigger shot around CD10. A lot of people do IUI without any meds, but my doctor has had a lot of success with this combination. In fact, IUI with these meds are the reason I have younger brothers! That's actually an added bonus - even though my mom had fertility issues for different reasons (advanced maternal age) it is definitely a plus that another woman in my family responded to this regimen!

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I'm really glad a thread like this exists on SA. My husband and I will have been married for 5 years in October (and have been together a total of 12 years), and I think we've both finally reached the point where we are both emotionally and mentally ready to think about starting a family. Financially and physically we aren't yet prepared (husband is unemployed and is looking for work and I'm needing to lose weight before we start trying), but I'm excited at the prospect of trying within the next year or so. My biological clock has been ticking for a little while but it's reached a fever pitch in recent months.

I guess my question is in regards to age. He is 31 and I just turned 29 in June. Have any of you started trying to get pregnant around the age of thirty? A lot of what I read online says that women 30 and up are less fertile, but that it really drops off after 35. I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with this. I was also wondering if anyone in this thread just tried having sex a lot and didn't mess with the ovulation monitors and all that and still got pregnant easily (not that I have anything against it; I'd just rather not start playing with a chemistry set right off the bat).

For the record, I've been off the pill for a couple years (I was going through school and couldn't afford it, so we switched to condoms), and my cycles are quite regular. We had a pregnancy scare a couple months ago where we thought I could possibly be pregnant for a day (I was having a lot of nausea and my breasts were really sore, but it turned out to be wicked PMS), and by the time I took a (negative) test, we'd both kind of come to the conclusion that we're ready for it. I was honestly just a little disappointed, even knowing that our financial and physical circumstances weren't the best at that time.

Before I forget, congrats to all of you who are pregnant, and good luck to those of you trying!

Buddleia
May 22, 2007
I like butterflies; butterflies like Buddleia.

Ma_NiC posted:

I guess my question is in regards to age. He is 31 and I just turned 29 in June. Have any of you started trying to get pregnant around the age of thirty? A lot of what I read online says that women 30 and up are less fertile, but that it really drops off after 35. I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with this. I was also wondering if anyone in this thread just tried having sex a lot and didn't mess with the ovulation monitors and all that and still got pregnant easily (not that I have anything against it; I'd just rather not start playing with a chemistry set right off the bat).

Coming over here from the pregnancy/childcare thread for a moment.

I was 28, turning 29 the year we started trying for our first. I bought one of those ovulation monitors that tests your saliva (Luna, I think it's called) but barely used it. Just went of the pill and started having unprotected sex a month or so later. It took four months of trying to get pregnant, so no problem at all. The second time I got pregnant the first month, and I was 31, turning 32. Most women in my circle of friends were around this age when they had kids and they had little to no trouble at all. I also have a few 35+ friends who got pregnant fairly easily. Hope this is encouraging.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Ma_NiC posted:

I guess my question is in regards to age. He is 31 and I just turned 29 in June. Have any of you started trying to get pregnant around the age of thirty? A lot of what I read online says that women 30 and up are less fertile, but that it really drops off after 35.

I'll be having my first any day and I'm going to be turning 30 in Oct. We had no problems conceiving. Hope this is encouraging, as well. :)

melodywise
Aug 1, 2002

Sweetness and light.

bamzilla posted:

I'll be having my first any day and I'm going to be turning 30 in Oct. We had no problems conceiving. Hope this is encouraging, as well. :)

30 here, will be 31 in 2 weeks, husband is 33, and had no problems conceiving. I'm just under 3 months along now. :)

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Ma_NiC posted:

I was also wondering if anyone in this thread just tried having sex a lot and didn't mess with the ovulation monitors and all that and still got pregnant easily (not that I have anything against it; I'd just rather not start playing with a chemistry set right off the bat).

I know I mention it all the time, but if you don't want to mess with monitors, learning how to chart your fertility using cervical mucus has been really really successful for us. We got pregnant twice in 3 months (first was a miscarriage), and I can't imagine we're THAT fertile.

Also, congrats to all the pregnant ladies, good luck to those trying.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

qentiox posted:

I know I mention it all the time, but if you don't want to mess with monitors, learning how to chart your fertility using cervical mucus has been really really successful for us. We got pregnant twice in 3 months (first was a miscarriage), and I can't imagine we're THAT fertile.

Also, congrats to all the pregnant ladies, good luck to those trying.

Yeah, I got pregnant at 33 and again at 34 by checking my mucous every day - I wasn't ready to bother with thermometers and meters and charts and stuff, I just checked my mucous for the right consistency. Both times I got knocked up the first month. There's absolutely no way I'm that fertile. We've been married 9 years, I went off the pill at 30 due to side effects and we've never had a pregnancy scare.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Thanks for the reassurances. I've known women who have gotten pregnant at 30 and beyond with no worries, but I also know women who had a hell of a time (although, the women who had problems had other issues, like PCOS).

I always know when I ovulate, and I've always noticed a difference in the consistency and amount of discharge (also, I'm always EXTREMELY horny), so it shouldn't be too hard to single out the best time to get to the baby-making. I'd rather just not use all the monitors and such and get myself all stressed out before I've given it a try. I have a couple friends who are trying to get pregnant and they are both using the monitors and kits, and they are both obsessed with getting pregnant RIGHT NOW. I'd rather not put myself through that if possible.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Because you're really aware of your ovulation, it should be easier for you, like you said. Monitoring cervical mucous, taking basal temperature, using fertility monitors and testing for LH surges are all excellent tools for women who are not as lucky as you are and do not have easy symptoms of ovulation, or a regular cycle they can use to help determine when they ovulate.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Yay! I ovulated again this month! 2 months in a row now. It happened while I was on vacation at disney world. I'm feeling a lot better knowing things are working downstairs.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I don't know what's going on with my chart this month... My temperatures are pretty high, but my other signs tell me I haven't ovulated yet. I suspect it has to do with the heat, which has been ridiculous even overnight the past couple of days. I'm also a bit worried it might be delayed due to stress... We just got a new puppy and it's a lot of work and loss of sleep. Bleah!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you're not getting the full uninterrupted hours of sleep it'll mess up your temp and make it seem higher too.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah, last night was pretty bad for disrupted sleep. I've dealt with insomnia before and it didn't seem to affect my temperatures as much as this, though! I hope that it's either the sleep or the temperature, because the alternative is that my hormones are still screwy and I might not ovulate this month...

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

Yeah, last night was pretty bad for disrupted sleep. I've dealt with insomnia before and it didn't seem to affect my temperatures as much as this, though! I hope that it's either the sleep or the temperature, because the alternative is that my hormones are still screwy and I might not ovulate this month...

Didn't you just move to another country? That could mess up your temping and cycle. Different climate, atmosphere, it could have a big effect. Changing geographical areas can completely change your cycle. Ever heard of women going to another country on vacation and all the sudden BOOM period? It sucks, but it should even itself out.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

It's been over a month since we moved though... Wouldn't it have settled by now? :(

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

It's been over a month since we moved though... Wouldn't it have settled by now? :(

By this point I would assume that it would be normalizing. At least if it's geographically related.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure I ovulated the very first cycle after my miscarriage. My next period was really wonky and they did an ultrasound to make sure nothing weird was happening, and 2 weeks later I got pregnant. It will happen again! Maybe your body just needs a month to work itself back out, as much as it may suck. :(

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I have a few more questions, for anyone who wants to answer.

1) At what point did you decide that you definitely wanted to start trying to have a baby?

2) When you decided that you wanted to start trying (or had at least set a date for the future), who did you tell? Did you keep it just between yourself and your partner/husband, tell a trusted friend, or did you tell everyone about it? I definitely don't want to tell everyone (especially not my mom, who would probably get too excited to not tell everyone in the family), but there is a couple who my husband and I are very good friends with that we would trust to not tell everyone about it (they have two boys, 6 months and almost 2, and were pretty secretive about trying to have a baby until they reached 12 weeks with each pregnancy). Is it strange to keep it mostly to yourself? I just feel weird about telling everyone about it.

3) Is it natural to be both excited and scared to get pregnant? There's a pretty big part of me that feels ready for it (aside from financially and physically, since we need to pay some stuff off and I need to lose some weight), but there's another little part of me that's scared to death. My friends with the two young boys told me that when they found out they were pregnant with their first, there was an initial moment of "oh poo poo, it's real, we can't turn back now".

4) For those of you who set a date for the future, how hard was it for you to wait? Did you make it to the set date, or did you end up trying earlier? I would really like to hold out for after my 30th birthday next June (I know it probably sounds selfish, but I'm wanting to have a huge birthday party), but now that my husband and I have decided that we're ready, we've been talking about it a lot and it's been on my mind a lot (probably doesn't help that I've been checking out the pregnancy megathread lately). Rationally, I know we definitely should wait a while, but there's a part of me that is saying "baby baby baby must make baby now". Am I psycho or is that normal?

Sorry if this was too long or too many questions. I figured this was the right place to ask.

Edit for bad, bad grammar.

Ma_NiC fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 19, 2009

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ma_NiC posted:

I have a few more questions, for anyone who wants to answer.

1) At what point did you decide that you definitely wanted to start trying to have a baby?
We both just sort of talked about it and it seemed right since we are in a pretty good spot now

Ma_NiC posted:

2) When you decided that you wanted to start trying (or had at least set a date for the future), who did you tell?
Nobody knows we're trying. I don't want to deal with people asking me how its going. Its personal. My mom is also bothering me to have kids and if she knew I was trying, I think it would be way too stressful. She's pretty looney.

Ma_NiC posted:

4) For those of you who set a date for the future, how hard was it for you to wait?

Never really set a date so I can't really answer that!

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Alterian posted:

My mom is also bothering me to have kids and if she knew I was trying, I think it would be way too stressful. She's pretty looney.

Thanks for replying. This is the number one reason I'm going to keep it under wraps with my mom until it actually happens. For some reason or another, every time I post something on my facebook about feeling sick (especially mentioning the word "nauseous", which I've discovered is a big no no), a bunch of people assume that I'm pregnant (there have been a few "rumors" regarding that about me started up in recent months). My mom is also on there and probably sees that stuff. She made a comment to one of my Aunts on my Dad's side about "waiting to be a Grandma" and "it's not happening any time soon, at least according to my kids" :rolleyes: so that should tell you that my mother is probably just as anxious as yours to get grandbabies. My mom used to be pretty subtle about it, but she's getting more and more obvious. I told her a few months ago if she wants a baby in the family so bad she should just have another one herself :v: (which would be unlikely considering she's 51 now).

Why can't people just leave me alone and let me have one when we're ready? Anyone that knows myself and my husband well knows that he is out of a job right now and we can't really afford another mouth to feed at the moment. Has anyone else felt that pressured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ma_NiC posted:

Why can't people just leave me alone and let me have one when we're ready? Anyone that knows myself and my husband well knows that he is out of a job right now and we can't really afford another mouth to feed at the moment. Has anyone else felt that pressured?

I also get it a bit from my mother in law too! Not as bad though. Whenever we visit she always asks when she'll get grandbabies. I hate hate HATE being told to do anything, especially when it comes to life choices.

It got so bad with my own mom I told my husband that maybe we shouldn't have any kids to spite her. She was telling me a couple months ago she was having psychic visions I was going to have a kid next spring. I posted about it earlier in this thread about how I found out my younger cousin accidentally got pregnant and she's using that against me as well it feels. She feels the need to tell me every little bit about her pregnancy so far, even though I've never been close to this cousin. I haven't seen her in over 3 years and I probably haven't held a decent coversation with her in 4 or 5. Do you know how infuriating it is to be trying to get pregnant and have to have your crazy mom not only pressure you to have a kid but tell you all about your pregnant cousin who didn't even mean to get pregnant? Luckily they all live a good 15 - 18 hour drive away!

• Locked thread