Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
I'm having an anger meltdown at a friend and I don't want to create a new thread about it.

My stupid friend let her unspayed cat run around and get pregnant. She said she was going to spay the cat, but for whatever reason, didn't. She was still letting the cat run around outside and it got pregnant again and crapped out babies on her porch this afternoon.

She says it's a "long and convoluted story" and it doesn't involve her being ignorant or negligent. :what: :fuckoff:

Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
I'm running out of options so I figured I'd post here (in an attempt to not blatantly break the rules, though I don't think this quite qualifies). I've come into a scenario where I need to give up my cat, but I've as of yet not had much success finding a home for him, apart from shelters that aren't no-kill. The only resource listed in the faq is petfiner, but I've as of yet had no luck via that. I've had 3 near misses with friends on facebook/IM/internet, but that's as close as I've gotten. So: Anyone know any other resources I can try to find my poor cat a nice home? If location matters, I'm in SoCal.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So uhh... any recommendations for someone with a cat with extra-stinky poop? She's about a year and a half old. I feed her Blue Buffalo indoor recipe, and I've switched around through the various flavors BB offers but no change in her poop stench. It's loving eye-watering and some people around here are starting to demand the litter box be put outside for good. My other cat (about five months old) hasn't had this problem and I pray she doesn't start. Food recommendations (switch to soft for some reason maybe??) or anything would be welcomed.

Aelia
May 13, 2008

Splat posted:

I'm running out of options so I figured I'd post here (in an attempt to not blatantly break the rules, though I don't think this quite qualifies). I've come into a scenario where I need to give up my cat, but I've as of yet not had much success finding a home for him, apart from shelters that aren't no-kill. The only resource listed in the faq is petfiner, but I've as of yet had no luck via that. I've had 3 near misses with friends on facebook/IM/internet, but that's as close as I've gotten. So: Anyone know any other resources I can try to find my poor cat a nice home? If location matters, I'm in SoCal.

Have you tried actual ads on bulletin boards in pet-stores? You'd probably need to screen people, but that might be an option.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aelia posted:

Have you tried actual ads on bulletin boards in pet-stores? You'd probably need to screen people, but that might be an option.

Craigslist, too, but with these options you want to make REAL sure about the people you wind up going with. There are a lot of people out there that see ads like that and just want a cheap, quick, impulse-buy pet that shouldn't have them at all. Make sure you include an adoption fee (although you may decide to waive it if the people turn out to be awesome) to help weed out the people that want something for nothing. Also, come up with a list of questions and you probably want to do a home visit to make sure they check out. Of course, have them sign a contract stating if anything doesn't work out, they have to return the cat to you (although really, you have no way of enforcing this, unfortunately).

Another option would be to contact the kill shelters in your area, explain your situation, and ask if they would be willing to list your pet as a foster for you. They may ask for a fee for this, but they would be the ones that would screen potential owners for you, and your cat would get more exposure. It's worth a shot to contact them, I think.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

bobula posted:

So uhh... any recommendations for someone with a cat with extra-stinky poop? She's about a year and a half old. I feed her Blue Buffalo indoor recipe, and I've switched around through the various flavors BB offers but no change in her poop stench. It's loving eye-watering and some people around here are starting to demand the litter box be put outside for good. My other cat (about five months old) hasn't had this problem and I pray she doesn't start. Food recommendations (switch to soft for some reason maybe??) or anything would be welcomed.

Maybe try a different litter? What are you currently using? Feline Pine covers smells really well. World's Best Cat Litter is good as long as you get an enzyme to mix in with it (we use Arm & Hammer Pet Litter Odor Control).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

WolfensteinBag posted:

Craigslist, too, but with these options you want to make REAL sure about the people you wind up going with. There are a lot of people out there that see ads like that and just want a cheap, quick, impulse-buy pet that shouldn't have them at all. Make sure you include an adoption fee (although you may decide to waive it if the people turn out to be awesome) to help weed out the people that want something for nothing. Also, come up with a list of questions and you probably want to do a home visit to make sure they check out. Of course, have them sign a contract stating if anything doesn't work out, they have to return the cat to you (although really, you have no way of enforcing this, unfortunately).

Another option would be to contact the kill shelters in your area, explain your situation, and ask if they would be willing to list your pet as a foster for you. They may ask for a fee for this, but they would be the ones that would screen potential owners for you, and your cat would get more exposure. It's worth a shot to contact them, I think.

Regarding the adoption fee . . . one cool thing I've seen is that instead of asking for an adoption fee, people ask for a check written out to a local shelter. At least dumb people won't think you are selling your cat that way.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I've got a 2 year old Husky/Greyhound mix who's recently developed the habit of putting her paw in her water dish whenever she drinks. I originally thought she was trying to hold the dish down so it wouldn't move while she was drinking, but then I caught her trying to drink from our swimming pool and she had the same paw in there as well. I thought maybe she had hurt her paw or had something stuck in it and she was putting it in the water to sooth it, but I've looked at it and saw nothing and she hasn't shown any other signs of pain or hampering in her movement. I've more or less come to the conclusion that my dog is just weird, but I'd still like to stop this so I don't have to chase after her with a towel to dry her paw every time she's thirsty. Any suggestions?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

bamzilla posted:

Maybe try a different litter? What are you currently using? Feline Pine covers smells really well. World's Best Cat Litter is good as long as you get an enzyme to mix in with it (we use Arm & Hammer Pet Litter Odor Control).

I just switched to pine litter to try it out. Anyway, it's not the poop after it's gotten into the litter. It's the smell she makes while she's pooping. :(

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD
My backyard is *loaded* with mosquitos. My little pup hasn't taken heartworm pills yet (he also hasn't had his shots yet, hence he's restricted to inside and our backyard). I know the vet said the pills are retroactive as opposed to proactive, but is there anything I can/should be spraying on the ground or on myself/my dog?

I'd imagine your garden variety area mosquito spray is bad for little creatures low to the ground, but maybe I'm wrong... And I don't exactly think spraying him with Off sounds like a good idea either :clint:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I suppose I just want to share...

I took Nyanko-chan to the vet because she's been overgrooming. The vet gave her a cortisone shot, as well as a chem 12 w/CBC & lytes, and a thyroid test. All her bloodwork came back normal. The vet is concerned about her weight loss (not so much about the hair loss / overgrooming). She's lost a pound in the last 8 months, and is 2 pounds less than her heaviest weight of 9.2lbs a few years ago.

The vet now wants to do a urinalysis, she said something about how it can tell her more than the blood panel can... I love my vet, but I also don't want to pay for more and more tests, especially since I don't personally find her low weight to be particularly alarming. She's always either bulking up, or slimming down for whatever reasons.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Meow Cadet posted:

I suppose I just want to share...

I took Nyanko-chan to the vet because she's been overgrooming. The vet gave her a cortisone shot, as well as a chem 12 w/CBC & lytes, and a thyroid test. All her bloodwork came back normal. The vet is concerned about her weight loss (not so much about the hair loss / overgrooming). She's lost a pound in the last 8 months, and is 2 pounds less than her heaviest weight of 9.2lbs a few years ago.

The vet now wants to do a urinalysis, she said something about how it can tell her more than the blood panel can... I love my vet, but I also don't want to pay for more and more tests, especially since I don't personally find her low weight to be particularly alarming. She's always either bulking up, or slimming down for whatever reasons.

Eowyn is currently overgrooming as well. We're taking a bit slower of an approach to it with my vet, since Eowyn is not grooming to the point of making areas raw or anything like that, just removing the hair.

We did a two week course of steroids which she did not respond to (the areas missing hair got a bit larger in that time), thereby ruling out allergies as a likely cause. The vet doesn't suspect thyroid at this point because Eowyn hasn't lost weight, so right now we are leaning towards stress as the most likely cause.

We haven't done a urinalysis on Eowyn because she hasn't been having any bathroom problems (no peeing outside the box, etc) but we've talked about it a little bit. One of the reasons for overgrooming, especially on the belly, is pain associated with urinary problems. So it's definitely not unreasonable for your vet to want to run the test.

How long has it been since the steroid shot? Have you had time to see an improvement?

I find weights on cats to be frustratingly variable. I suspect a lot of it has to do with them refusing to stay still on the scale more than anything else. Eowyn weighed a pound more in July than she did in March...but 1/2 pound less two weeks later (in August) than she had at the July visit. Sometimes I feel like making them take three weights and use the average every visit (like we do when we weigh things for scientific reasons) because it swings so wildly from one visit to another that I don't think they are getting a reliable measure.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
We just got the cortisone shot yesterday, and Nyanko-chan sulked all afternoon, so I didn't really get to observe her.

We're not having any litterbox problems either, and her hair loss is on her belly, back, thighs and elbows. Her belly is bald up to the middle of her ribcage now, and growing. She's not raw either, although one of her nipples was kinda red and perhaps had a bit of a scab on it, but nothing panic inducing. We're due for routine shots in October, and vet said the urinalysis could wait until then if I like. I'm just not sure if it's overkill, or if I'm being a cheapskate for questioning it.

The vet also said that if the urinalysis turns up nothing, we could do an ultrasound/x-ray. I really don't want to see this snowball any further, for a problem I don't think we really even have.

Meow Cadet fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 18, 2009

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Do you have any reason to suspect it's behavioral?

If it's itching or pain related you should get a response out of the steroid shot. I'd personally be tempted to wait until you've given it some time to work before proceeding with more testing, especially given that cats tend to be very stressed by vet visits.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Ceridwen posted:

Do you have any reason to suspect it's behavioral?

If it's itching or pain related you should get a response out of the steroid shot. I'd personally be tempted to wait until you've given it some time to work before proceeding with more testing, especially given that cats tend to be very stressed by vet visits.

Well, we moved, added 2 kittens to our family, and changed food (from a chicken with grain, to a chicken w/o grain formula), all in a 3 month period or so. She also used to get free access to a second story balcony, and 30 minutes or so a week of outside time, which she has not had since March.

I suspect a food allergy, with her being neurotic a close second. So far today I haven't seen her lick herself too much. Although, she's been sleeping for most of it, so it's hard to tell.

Bonus Question: How long does a blood panel stay "current" for? Nyanko-chan would benefit from a teeth cleaning, and possible extraction. The vet said she would consider the panel to be current for a month or so, if I wait longer than that, she would want to do bloodwork again to make sure it is safe. Does that sound reasonable? Seems like the bloodwork should be valid for longer than a month, but I'm not a vet.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Sorry, have another random question!

Today someone at work said that we can't have linens in the cat cages that are in the room (only newspaper) that holds cats with illnesses like ringworm, because the "spores will multiply."

Is this just retarded or am I missing something?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Meow Cadet posted:

I suspect a food allergy, with her being neurotic a close second. So far today I haven't seen her lick herself too much. Although, she's been sleeping for most of it, so it's hard to tell.

With all those changes I would lean to neurotic.

Has she been throwing up or anything else that would indicate an allergy?

The steroid shot will give you a pretty good idea either way. If it's allergies it should get better fast with the steroid shot.

Not sure on the bloodwork.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
She's not throwing up more than usual. Maybe 2-3 times a month. She's always been a bit of a high strung pissy cat, but she seemed to adjust to the move in less than a week, and to the kittens in 2 weeks. The hair loss started maybe 6 weeks after the kittens arrived, 2 weeks after a gradual food switch, and 4 months after the move.

In anycase, I think it's just a wait and see situation. I just wanted to talk about my cat I guess.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Carebear posted:

Today someone at work said that we can't have linens in the cat cages that are in the room (only newspaper) that holds cats with illnesses like ringworm, because the "spores will multiply."

Well, ringworm is a fungus. So, it might be safer to use paper that is disposable, instead of a towel that gets washed, and damp, and tossed in with other laundered items.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Carebear posted:

This is right, like Meow Cadet said, ringworm is actually fungus, and it can be spread through mediums like clothes and towels (or sweaty gym mats). So if you were to use [nice porous, moisture gathering] towels, you're more likely to spread it to all the other animals and people too.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.

nonanone posted:

This is right, like Meow Cadet said, ringworm is actually fungus, and it can be spread through mediums like clothes and towels (or sweaty gym mats). So if you were to use [nice porous, moisture gathering] towels, you're more likely to spread it to all the other animals and people too.

Thanks for the information! :)

The whole "spores" thing weirded me out I guess. That's the only fungus that was down there though, not sure what the other cats have.

mumblingscrapwaver
Dec 13, 2007

unnecessary complication
I'm assuming I shouldn't let my cats catch and/or eat Southern Green Stink Bugs? From what I've googled, they appear to be harmless, but even so it sounds like a recipe for stinkbug-based puke on my carpet. :dance:

I seem to get at least one inside every day, and the cats go bananas watching / chasing them. But I always prevent the kill by catching them first and tossing them out the window. (The bugs, not the cats.) How vigilant do I need to be, here?

As a side note, for any squeamish types that would like to HTFU - I highly recommend buying a dollar store butterfly net, and learning how to use it. Let's face it, some bugs are undesirable to squish. And for most of those bugs, a big net on a stick is going to work a lot better than the traditional cup-and-cardboard method. (I used to freak over boring old moths, but with my net I can even handle wasps with confidence!)

mumblingscrapwaver fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 19, 2009

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Does anyone have any helpful tips/anecdotes about a cat getting bitten by a dog and being okay? :(
My cat went into the backyard earlier, got through the next door neighbor's fence and was promptly chewed on by their dog. She was walking really strangely, like a broken leg/hip and panting a lot so I took her to the vet and they took x-rays and then said that while there were no broken bones, she had a tooth puncture on her stomach and that cats are prone to abscesses and so they put her on an IV with a bunch of antibiotics and all that. She just got her first set of vaccines a few weeks ago when I had her spayed. Plus she's only five months so she's not that old/strong :(

So, I guess I'm just looking for advice from people who have had the same thing happen to their cats. I'm really worried, especially since if there does turn out to be anything more wrong, I can't afford to have any surgery done. I'm paying $500 at this point for x-rays, bloodwork and an IV with antibiotics but I had to borrow money to cover part of that and I can't handle any more. Reassure me, guys :'(

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
Someone posted awhile back about a method to get your dog to stop pulling on the leash. I think it involved wrapping the leash under its hind legs or something. Does anyone have a link to that, or can describe it better? I'm clearly just not plugging the right search terms into google.

Or any other advice on how to get a dog to not pull on the leash during walks would be great, as my parents' standard poodle seems to love to walk on her hind legs while trying to choke herself on the leash during her walks.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

bobula posted:

Does anyone have any helpful tips/anecdotes about a cat getting bitten by a dog and being okay? :(
My cat went into the backyard earlier, got through the next door neighbor's fence and was promptly chewed on by their dog. She was walking really strangely, like a broken leg/hip and panting a lot so I took her to the vet and they took x-rays and then said that while there were no broken bones, she had a tooth puncture on her stomach and that cats are prone to abscesses and so they put her on an IV with a bunch of antibiotics and all that. She just got her first set of vaccines a few weeks ago when I had her spayed. Plus she's only five months so she's not that old/strong :(

So, I guess I'm just looking for advice from people who have had the same thing happen to their cats. I'm really worried, especially since if there does turn out to be anything more wrong, I can't afford to have any surgery done. I'm paying $500 at this point for x-rays, bloodwork and an IV with antibiotics but I had to borrow money to cover part of that and I can't handle any more. Reassure me, guys :'(

My grandma's cat got out last spring, went into the neighbor's yard, and one of their dogs got him. Abner had a broken jaw, minor puncture wounds, and bruised lungs. He was put on a pain patch for about a week and sat around completely dopey. The bite abscessed and he ended up with a drain in it, but he recovered completely. They shaved most of him to make sure he didn't have bites elsewhere. Here are a couple pics!

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.

Ceridwen posted:

It is almost certainly because she's overgrooming, even if you aren't seeing her do it. The causes range from stress to urinary tract issues. It would be prudent to take her to the vet and get her checked out before you start treating it as a funny quirk.

aunt moneybags posted:

My cat has this. The vet said it happens sometimes when they are shaved to get spayed, and the hair just doesn't grow back. You should still probably go to the vet and double check, but this is what I was told.

I love it, she's got a peach fuzz belly!

Thanks for the advice. I really don't think it's due to overgrooming since she's around me for most of the day and I never see her doing anything like that, but I will bring it up with my vet the next time I see him. That's pretty weird that it sometimes doesn't grow back, is there a real reason for it? :confused: But yeah, it's peach fuzz! She used to act annoyed when I tried to pet her tummy, but now I do it all the time and she doesn't care. It's all soft 'n fuzzy :3:

Anyway, I have another weird thing my cats do... they really, really like whistling. Every time I whistle a tune or something around the house, the cats will act all interested and follow me around, and get all meowy. It's really weird-- they kinda look confused, like they think the sound couldn't possibly be coming from me. Sometimes they'll even jump into my lap and get all up in my face. Does anyone else's cats do something like this?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

bobula posted:

One of my cats, who are being cared for by my sister while I get them shipped to the UK, was mauled by two german shepards back in April. They gave her several bad punctures and scraped her spine, and lots of muscle damage, but there was no organ damage. She could not use her back legs or tail, was deep into shock, and the vet felt like she was probably a lost cause. My sister pressed him to operate anyway, and he did so, sewing her up and putting in drainage tubes and so on. The main worry was that her organs would shut down from the trauma, or she would get an infection, or she would never walk again.

They kept her at the vet for two weeks, until she was eating on her own again (my sister visited every day for an hour to try and get her to eat tuna and baby food) and she was moving her tail around and crying to be petted. Then for another two weeks my sister took her to work and everywhere with her in a kennel and a box with a towel so she would always be monitored. Eventually she was trying to walk around with her front legs, and not too long after she was wobbling along with all four to use the litterbox. She still needed lots of carrying but was doing okay. :]

Now, apparently, she is 100% better, jumping up on the sofa, fur almost all grown back, fat and happy as ever. She is living inside now too. :] She's just worth about $1700 more.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Apparently our puppy (4 1/2 month old pit mix we've had for 3 weeks) urinated while sleeping today. I ran to the store for a bit and when I came home my girlfriend said she had been sitting on the couch with Eris sleeping next to her and she just started urinating. This had never happened before and so she checked the bed in Eris' crate and it was wet as well. I adjusted her bed this morning when I fed her and it was dry (she is housetrained and despite 2 accidents since moving into this house a week and a half ago, she has never had an accident in her crate) so I think it happened when she was in there napping at some point earlier in the afternoon. I'm assuming we should make a vet appt ASAP? I need to get her in for deworming in the next few days anyway, I just thought I should post here to get some opinions and suggestions on the matter.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

rivals posted:

Apparently our puppy (4 1/2 month old pit mix we've had for 3 weeks) urinated while sleeping today. I ran to the store for a bit and when I came home my girlfriend said she had been sitting on the couch with Eris sleeping next to her and she just started urinating. This had never happened before and so she checked the bed in Eris' crate and it was wet as well. I adjusted her bed this morning when I fed her and it was dry (she is housetrained and despite 2 accidents since moving into this house a week and a half ago, she has never had an accident in her crate) so I think it happened when she was in there napping at some point earlier in the afternoon. I'm assuming we should make a vet appt ASAP? I need to get her in for deworming in the next few days anyway, I just thought I should post here to get some opinions and suggestions on the matter.

Could be a urinary tract infection, or something of that sort. A vet needs to diagnose it, but I'd try to get an appointment for as soon as is possible. That poo poo is painful.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What's a good tankmate for a red eared slider turtle? Apparently this thing is going to need a 50 gal tank but it's only 1" right now, so I figured I would get the 50 gal and then give him a housemate of some sort. I'm partial to snakes, think there are any that could safely cohabitate with a red ear in that environment?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How common are olfactory problems in dogs? I've got an one year old Boston Terrier/Whippet rescue dog whose been showing some weird traits. She doesn't sniff other dogs, won't notice a smelly bacon treat even when it's right under her, and doesn't sniff or mark territory when she's on walks. She won't even pee when I take her on walks, although that may be a side effect of complete terror at going anywhere besides the back yard (it's more like taking her for a drag than a walk).

I swear, that's the last time I take the shelter director's advise when picking a dog. She's a sweet dog, but between chewing shoes, toys, carpet, rocking chairs, landscaping, a power cable, AND peeing whenever I reach down to touch her I'm rapidly losing my patience. Emotional problems, she's got'em.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I have a cat that seem to get a twitch or something on the right side of his head like something is in his ear but near the temple area and almost next to the eye. If you rub it he will put him his foot in that getting ready to itch phase. It happens only occasionally and he will shake his head when it comes. I've done research an the best guess would be ear mites but it's only on one side and our other cat has no problems and they say that ear mites are highly contagious. Anyone have any ideas?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
skoolmunkee and Grey Mage, thanks so much for your stories. She's back from the vet now and the bite isn't infected so far. I'm giving her antibiotics for it. Unfortunately her rear legs are pretty messed up but I'm hoping that over time they'll heal.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Pooperscooper posted:

I have a cat that seem to get a twitch or something on the right side of his head like something is in his ear but near the temple area and almost next to the eye. If you rub it he will put him his foot in that getting ready to itch phase. It happens only occasionally and he will shake his head when it comes. I've done research an the best guess would be ear mites but it's only on one side and our other cat has no problems and they say that ear mites are highly contagious. Anyone have any ideas?

Does he only get the twitch when you rub or scratch him in a certain place? Sometimes that happens to cats - they have a certain spot that, when rubbed, makes them scratch. It's weird.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Does anyone know of any good suggestions for TOUGH dog toys. I actually mean toys, not kongs.

Leela looooves carrying around a doll of sorts. Stuffed Raccoon, stuffed duck, stuffed ANYTHING that squeaks.

They all get torn apart, then she looks at me all sad when they get destroyed.

They mostly get destroyed because of the occasional tugfest with Autumn, but she does chew off the hair/nose of most animals I get her. Then she pulls out the stuffing one day when I'm at work and I come home to fluff everywhere.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I have a question regarding crate training as far as long term and our puppy growing up. Is leaving her in her crate while we're gone something we should just plan to be a life long thing? We do it for now because she's 4 1/2 months old and we don't know how she is alone with the house to herself, though I don't expect her to be well behaved at this point. I'm really just wondering if there's any point at which we should try leaving her out and seeing how she does (I'm guessing this will be far in the future), and I'm often curious as to what full time working people/families do. My only previous major experience with dogs was that my ex and I adopted a large GSD mix who was incredibly calm for only being less than 2 years old and I would leave him home alone for a couple hours at a time when I had class or whatever and he never showed a sign of curious/destructive behavior or separation anxiety at all, so learning about these things and dealing with them is somewhat new to me and I'd like to get to the point where Eris could roam free around the house alone without worrying about her. I know that for now I could just try experimenting but I'd rath not lose bedding, couch cushions, blinds, etc to this if it's unnecessary. We leave her alone for no more than 2 hours at a time two-three times a week when our school schedules overlap (with an hour+ walk and some training time beforehand) and the first few times we'd come home to see her in the crate but it was very clear she had done some wrestling with her bed (although it hasn't been destroyed whatsoever). The last two times though her bed was exactly as it was when I left the house so it appears she is starting to do much better, though I expect it will take more time for her to be fully content to just lay down and sleep the entire time she's alone.

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
A big thing is exhausting them before leaving to ensure sleep, but have you tried Kongs to keep her occupied? Fill a Kong with peanut butter, toss it in the freezer overnight. Depending on her zeal and your Kong packing skills, it could take an hour+ to empty out a frozen Kong. It doesn't have to be all peanut butter, you could also put some wet food or PB + kibble, carrots, sliced apples, or other doggie-safe produce/snacks.

Do you have a spare bedroom you could experiment in? Puppy proof it and leave her in there for small increments of time to see what she does.

Personally I would wait a while before you attempt it though. Our dog is 8 months old right now, and he's been out of his crate before when we're not there (once when the dog walker forgot to latch the crate, and once because the back popped off of the crate from him leaning on it). It wasn't pretty. It would probably be safe to start thinking about it/testing her around a year-year and a half, maybe even 2 years. She could be incredibly well behaved, but you might want to wait until she's out of the teenager stage. ;)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

trigger posted:

A big thing is exhausting them before leaving to ensure sleep, but have you tried Kongs to keep her occupied? Fill a Kong with peanut butter, toss it in the freezer overnight. Depending on her zeal and your Kong packing skills, it could take an hour+ to empty out a frozen Kong. It doesn't have to be all peanut butter, you could also put some wet food or PB + kibble, carrots, sliced apples, or other doggie-safe produce/snacks.

Yeah, she goes at kongs and frozen kongs for long periods of time and we ONLY give those to her when she is in her crate (to keep the association) but as per advice from someone else here we haven't done that while we leave because we are aiming to keep her exhausted. It seems to be getting better as I said, but if she starts showing signs of crate rearrangement again we will probably try kongs to occupy her (since she will easily go at them for 30-45 minutes even when they aren't frozen or packed particularly well). Thank you very much for the advice though, and that's about what I expected. We live in a one bedroom house and the door to our room isn't really a door so it's easy for her to open. Not to mention puppy proofing it for her would involve removing all of our bedding because she likes to dig on occasion. Looks like we'll just keep this up until she's a good amount older. There are no pressing reasons for us to change it (our situation and availability will be pretty much the same at least until next August, if not December depending on when I graduate), it's just like I said where worrying about this is pretty new to me and with my last dog it was just slightly simpler.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Does anyone know of any good suggestions for TOUGH dog toys. I actually mean toys, not kongs.

Leela looooves carrying around a doll of sorts. Stuffed Raccoon, stuffed duck, stuffed ANYTHING that squeaks.

They all get torn apart, then she looks at me all sad when they get destroyed.

They mostly get destroyed because of the occasional tugfest with Autumn, but she does chew off the hair/nose of most animals I get her. Then she pulls out the stuffing one day when I'm at work and I come home to fluff everywhere.

There are quite a few options for heavy duty stuffed toys at most pet stores. But you really shouldn't leave any soft toy with your dog while you're gone. It's dangerous.

Most of our stuffed toys last 2-3 months now that we don't let Rusty have free access with them, and he thinks they are even more awesome than he did before.

Durable stuffed/soft toys:
Tuffies
Tug Toy
Kong Wubba (softish and squeaky)

You can also pick up rubber squeaky things. My dogs love their Cuz toy and for some reason don't like attempting to destroy it (even though they will destroy other things).

Rivals:
We crate both of our dogs when we are gone, even though they are adults. We rent and it makes things much easier when I need our landlord to be able to enter our property while we are gone. It also means they are safe, can't get into the garbage, and don't spend half the day barking at poo poo outside like a lot of the dogs in my neighborhood.

Both dogs like their crate and we have no compelling reason to leave them out. That they are accustomed to being crated makes it easier for us to travel as well. Our friends don't have to worry about the dogs messing up their house while they petsit (they just bring the crates), when we do bring the dogs we can crate them when we stay at someone's house, and it can reduce the stress on the dog if you need to leave them at a kennel or the vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's a good tankmate for a red eared slider turtle? Apparently this thing is going to need a 50 gal tank but it's only 1" right now, so I figured I would get the 50 gal and then give him a housemate of some sort. I'm partial to snakes, think there are any that could safely cohabitate with a red ear in that environment?

There are no snakes that could safely or happily live with a red-eared slider (or any other water turtle). If you want to give it a tankmate another turtle of a similar size is feasible, but keep in mind that having two turtles will mean that eventually you will want a tank larger than 50 gallons. Not for several years, but eventually. If either of them are female red-eared sliders (will be difficult to tell for a few more inches) they will need a much larger tank; even one large female could use at least 75 gallons.