Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Fiancee's father is looking to install two speakers in his living room. He recently acquired a decent stereo, although it looks like it's from the mid-90s, but in good condition. Mostly plans on playing stuff from his record collection (vinyl, not cd). The kicker is that he wants the speakers to be fairly small -- really pretty much unnoticeable. They have this whole "log cabin" theme going on and try to hide the "technology" in the house as much as possible. He doesn't know jack poo poo about A/V stuff and he asked me if I had any speaker recommendations.

I really doubt that he cares much about sound quality -- I just don't want him to get ripped off or to buy a set of speakers that is total poo poo.

EDIT: forgot to add -- what he's really looking for is something thin -- 3.5" (or less) in depth maximum would probably be ideal. I've never looked for anything like that, so I have no idea what is good.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Fiancee's father is looking to install two speakers in his living room. He recently acquired a decent stereo, although it looks like it's from the mid-90s, but in good condition. Mostly plans on playing stuff from his record collection (vinyl, not cd). The kicker is that he wants the speakers to be fairly small -- really pretty much unnoticeable. They have this whole "log cabin" theme going on and try to hide the "technology" in the house as much as possible. He doesn't know jack poo poo about A/V stuff and he asked me if I had any speaker recommendations.

I really doubt that he cares much about sound quality -- I just don't want him to get ripped off or to buy a set of speakers that is total poo poo.

EDIT: forgot to add -- what he's really looking for is something thin -- 3.5" (or less) in depth maximum would probably be ideal. I've never looked for anything like that, so I have no idea what is good.

what hes asking for is almost impossible without it being an inwall or wall mounted speaker. If they can do inwall then get these
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/store/Speakers/33/144908/9_3_-1_84__0_0_0_-1/
or
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/store/Speakers/33/144907/9_3_-1_84__0_0_0_-1/

on wall theres these:
http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/flat-panel-speakers/flat-panel-speaker

half in wall/half on wall:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakerw22_main.html

(video of install: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/architectural/axiom-w3-install-video )

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I have three different listening devices at my computer--speakers and two sets of headphones, one with a microphone--none of which require amplification and all of which use 3.5mm jacks. What solutions are out there for switching between these without having to get under my desk and switch out cables?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TheQat posted:

I have three different listening devices at my computer--speakers and two sets of headphones, one with a microphone--none of which require amplification and all of which use 3.5mm jacks. What solutions are out there for switching between these without having to get under my desk and switch out cables?

I've been meaning to ask this too, but I'm actually looking for a 2-in 2-out... input devices being ipod dock and computer, output being speakers and headphones.

domn
Nov 22, 2003

the multitude, in its will to be-against and its desire for liberation, must push through Empire to come out the other side
I'm looking to get a receiver and speakers of sufficient quality to match my project turntable, with an eye for possible hdtv setup down the road.

I've kind of decided on klipsch rf-82s and a pioneer vsx-1019ah-k. The question is, the speakers are rated at 150w RMS, but the receiver is only rated at 120w per channel. How much is this going to hinder the sound? is it just going to lower the max volume?

edit: WELP I thought I had read the entire faq but got distracted before the bottom! My question was answered I suppose. 98dB efficiency means those things will probably destroy my ear drums at 120W

domn fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 16, 2009

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

domn posted:

I'm looking to get a receiver and speakers of sufficient quality to match my project turntable, with an eye for possible hdtv setup down the road.

I've kind of decided on klipsch rf-82s and a pioneer vsx-1019ah-k. The question is, the speakers are rated at 150w RMS, but the receiver is only rated at 120w per channel. How much is this going to hinder the sound? is it just going to lower the max volume?

edit: WELP I thought I had read the entire faq but got distracted before the bottom! My question was answered I suppose. 98dB efficiency means those things will probably destroy my ear drums at 120W

Theres no doubt that klipsch are efficient and the pioneer will do just fine the only problem here is i dont think the pioneer will sound all that great either. You might want to look at getting a refurb HK receiver for cheap on ebay. Theyre really really cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-H...id=p3286.c0.m14

Also have you listened to the klipsch? Theyre a very bright speaker... and IMO not that great of a value for their fit and finish. I would get these but maybe thats just me
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/store/Speakers/33/144225/9_1_-1_34__0_0_0_-1/

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
edit: nevermind

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 21, 2009

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Perhaps I'm just overthinking this one, but I'm looking for a 1-in 2-out audio switch. I'd like to be able to toggle between a bookshelf stereo system and my PC speakers. Would a simple 2-in 1-out A/B switch work (just backwards) or is there a better option?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

chrix posted:

Perhaps I'm just overthinking this one, but I'm looking for a 1-in 2-out audio switch. I'd like to be able to toggle between a bookshelf stereo system and my PC speakers. Would a simple 2-in 1-out A/B switch work (just backwards) or is there a better option?

Just use a Y: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=667&seq=1&format=2

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I agree with that sentiment. Also, a 2-1 RCA switch would work the same way backwards so you could go that route if you really want both output devices powered but only one sounding.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I agree with that sentiment. Also, a 2-1 RCA switch would work the same way backwards so you could go that route if you really want both output devices powered but only one sounding.

I figured the switch would work backwards, but wasn't sure. A Y-connector should do exactly what I want with a little work, anyway.

Thanks for the replies. :)

downthesun
Apr 19, 2006
A little over a week ago my pc broke, with this happening I have had to listen through music through my 360. The speakers I use are Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speakers ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120&Tpk=logitech%20speakers ) I have been using these speakers with my pc(audio cables) and 360/PS3(fiber optic) for over 2 years now. I like to blast my music really loudly and I would always blast music through my pc without any issues, with my pc being dead though I have been using the 360 to play music. I never turned the music up too loudly on the 360 until recently as I would just use them for gaming and movies. I noticed when turning the speakers up loud, the sound levels seem to be different compared to when I was using the PC. Anyway, out of no where static/hum started coming through my speakers, something I have never experienced with these speakers before.

It seems after about 2 songs the speakers start with this static and hum and it seems to get louder as songs continue to play. The speaker system is plugged into a different outlet then the TV and 360. I read that this may be a grounding loop issue and plugging them into the same source should fix the problem so I tried doing that and I still got the same results. I also tried using the PS3 to see if it was an issue with my 360 and it wasn't. The tv speakers are not disabled, I just mute them if I'm using the Logitech system.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with my system?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I have an old KLH KL2400 (http://www.shopping.com/xPF-KL2400) receiver but no speakers to go with it. Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers for around $125 to $150 that will work with that receiver?

edit: that site says 6 ohms impedance but for some reason the back of the receiver says 8 recommended.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 19, 2009

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

thehandtruck posted:

I have an old KLH KL2400 (http://www.shopping.com/xPF-KL2400) receiver but no speakers to go with it. Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers for around $125 to $150 that will work with that receiver?

edit: that site says 6 ohms impedance but for some reason the back of the receiver says 8 recommended.

Looking for bookshelf speakers I assume?

You could grab a pair of Infinity p152s from Vanns.com for about that or even cheaper from here.

ELT525M Mini Monitors from av123.com $175/pair (120 off)

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 at sto sound and vision $89/pair (160 off)

Infinity Beta 20s on sale at the 'new' circuit city for $129/pair (170 off)

Keep your eyes peeled on the Harmon Kardon ebay site, I've seen Infinty beta 20's go for $20 a pair on auction,, you can occasionally snag insane deals there.

Doc Spratley fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 20, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Isn't av123 teetering on the brink of insolvency? Even if not there's typically a 3-6 month wait for anything they sell.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Doc Spratley posted:

Looking for bookshelf speakers I assume?

You could grab a pair of Infinity p152s from Vanns.com for about that or even cheaper from here.

ELT525M Mini Monitors from av123.com $175/pair (120 off)

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 at sto sound and vision $89/pair (160 off)

Infinity Beta 20s on sale at the 'new' circuit city for $129/pair (170 off)

Keep your eyes peeled on the Harmon Kardon ebay site, I've seen Infinty beta 20's go for $20 a pair on auction,, you can somtimes snag insane deals there.

Wow thanks for the help. I think I'm going to go with the $129/pair Beta 20's even though the ELT25M mini monitors look REALLY nice. I'm assuming the Beta 20's have better sound quality than the p152s?

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

thehandtruck posted:

Wow thanks for the help. I think I'm going to go with the $129/pair Beta 20's even though the ELT25M mini monitors look REALLY nice. I'm assuming the Beta 20's have better sound quality than the p152s?

the first customer review on this audioreview.com page is from a fellow who owned the p152s and then compares directly to the beta 20s.

I believe the betas are discontinued now, so they are not listed on the Infinity site.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Here's my quick question:

Right now I'm running off of my mobo's onboard sound. I have a pair of HD595's and the little whining sounds are getting to me so I'm going to get a sound card. Are there any suggestions for a pretty good sound card that would work well with Windows 7? I'd like to avoid Creative since I haven't had good experiences with them in the past.

Also, if I got a USB audio device, would that, in essence, serve as an external sound card? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm rather confused about this.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

unpurposed posted:

Also, if I got a USB audio device, would that, in essence, serve as an external sound card? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm rather confused about this.
Yes. It would be seen by the system in the same wasy as a sound card.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

unpurposed posted:

Here's my quick question:

Right now I'm running off of my mobo's onboard sound. I have a pair of HD595's and the little whining sounds are getting to me so I'm going to get a sound card. Are there any suggestions for a pretty good sound card that would work well with Windows 7? I'd like to avoid Creative since I haven't had good experiences with them in the past.

I have an Asus Xonar DX that works fine in Windows 7 64, though I had to use the Vista 64 drivers. I think Asus has put out the Win7 drivers for their audio cards now--I'm trying to confirm that, but their site (as is often the case) is barely working. They do have an official Win7 64-bit beta driver out now.

Anyway, the Xonar DX has a great SNR and I never notice any interference from other devices in my computer.

Alternatively, for an even higher-quality solution, you could go with one of the headphone-oriented cards mentioned in this article: http://techreport.com/articles.x/17256 The Asus Xonar Essence STX actually has a 1/4" headphone jack on its backplate.

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 20, 2009

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
edit: nevermind, again!

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 21, 2009

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I have a vizio 32" lcd. I recently got a samsung htz310. The Samsung only has a fiber optic out, which I plug into the TV. In order to get 5.1 for my Xbox360, I have to pull the fiber cable out of the TV, and into the fiber port of the xbox360.

Any way I can have 5.1 sound for my Xbox without having to switch the cable every time?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

OH WORD SON posted:

I have a vizio 32" lcd. I recently got a samsung htz310. The Samsung only has a fiber optic out, which I plug into the TV. In order to get 5.1 for my Xbox360, I have to pull the fiber cable out of the TV, and into the fiber port of the xbox360.

Any way I can have 5.1 sound for my Xbox without having to switch the cable every time?

Yup.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Kind of an odd question, but... I wanted to know if there's a way to record audio from the Korg DS-10. I have a Nintendo DS (obviously) and the "game," such as it is, and I wanted to get somewhat high-quality audio recordings off of it. Is there a way to record off a headphone jack? I've heard such a thing exists, but Google only returns spam and those "pay for the answer" services.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

CloseFriend posted:

Kind of an odd question, but... I wanted to know if there's a way to record audio from the Korg DS-10. I have a Nintendo DS (obviously) and the "game," such as it is, and I wanted to get somewhat high-quality audio recordings off of it. Is there a way to record off a headphone jack? I've heard such a thing exists, but Google only returns spam and those "pay for the answer" services.

Yeah, just get a 3.5mm male->male cable and run it from the headphone jack to the computer running Audacity. I've never actually done this before, but I think it could work.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with the YAMAHA NS-M225P bookshelf speakers?

They're for sale on newegg today for $70 a pair. Everywhere else I look has them $150-200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115041

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

TheQat posted:

Yeah, just get a 3.5mm male->male cable and run it from the headphone jack to the computer running Audacity. I've never actually done this before, but I think it could work.
It worked! I actually ran down to Radio Shack as soon as I typed that to get a male-to-male cable, then I did everything here, and then I read this post. But it worked so it's all good. Thanks!

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Schpyder posted:

Yup.

thanks!

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

TomEmanski posted:

They're for sale on newegg today for $70 a pair. Everywhere else I look has them $150-200.

I'm curious about this as well, it looks like a better deal than the Polk Monitor 50/60s they have on sale too...

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

TomEmanski posted:

these are sealed 2.25" dual woofered bookshelves. Meaning they are basically satellite speakers if that. I dont think theyll play below 120hz, MAYBE 100hz, with any authority.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Do USB/DACs have a big impact on the listening experience? I listen to my iTunes collection through my Macbook and Grado SR80s. Browsing through head-fi and seeing them rave about USB/DACs, I wonder if I'm missing out on something.

What do you guys think? Are $200-500 USB/DACs worth the money?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

shrike82 posted:

Do USB/DACs have a big impact on the listening experience? I listen to my iTunes collection through my Macbook and Grado SR80s. Browsing through head-fi and seeing them rave about USB/DACs, I wonder if I'm missing out on something.

I would say no. I have owned two USB DACs. An apogee mini dac (app. $1k) and I currently use a bel canto USB DAC (app. $2.5k). The difference between going straight from my HP laptop, using itunes with apple lossless files to my Etymotics ER4Ps is not a huge difference from using them with the USB DACS. There certainly is a difference, and a discernable one, but I dont see the $200-500 jobs making a big difference in sound quality.

I notice more of a difference going from 128kb MP3 to apple lossless than from using internal to external DACs via headphones.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

shrike82 posted:

I noticed a difference immediately, but that might have something to do with all the headphone out ports on my laptops have been especially noisy. If you want something that will give you a taste of the USB DAC "experience" but won't break the bank, the EMU 0202 is supposed to be a real winner among the "anti-audiophile" sciencey types at head-fi from what I've read over there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

the "anti-audiophile" sciencey types at head-fi
:laffo:

Unless you're referring to some tiny subsection of that site far away from the "double-blind testing is banned" folks.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 25, 2009

domn
Nov 22, 2003

the multitude, in its will to be-against and its desire for liberation, must push through Empire to come out the other side
i'm in the search for stereo tower speakers, and my original plan was to get a local shop to come down to near internet price on some klipsch speakers. it turns out that i like some other brands that have similar retail prices but aren't sold on the internet or i can't find crazy internet deals like i could with the klipsch i was eyeballing.

Are there internet prices for B&W or Paradigm speakers that I just can't find? how much luck am I going to have getting a local shop to come down to a reasonable % above invoice?

Mr Bike
Dec 3, 2004

More tea Mr. Bike?
I currently have a 2.0 speaker setup and I want to add a subwoofer to it to round out the bottom end. My question is will I be short-changing myself by getting an 8" sub instead of a larger one? My room is not big and it's in for an apartment so I don't need bowel-moving bass. Do 8" subs roll off at noticably higher freqs than 10" or 12"?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

domn posted:

Are there internet prices for B&W or Paradigm speakers that I just can't find? how much luck am I going to have getting a local shop to come down to a reasonable % above invoice?

Not really. B&W especially has internet distribution pretty locked down and I think anywhere that sells their stuff online shows MSRP.

Fancy speakers are expensive.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

qirex posted:

Unless you're referring to some tiny subsection of that site far away from the "double-blind testing is banned" folks.
yeah basically. the sound science section is as close to reasonable/academic as you're going to get for hobbyist audio stuff

still can't believe DBT is banned in that one forum. wait yes I can.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mr Bike posted:

I currently have a 2.0 speaker setup and I want to add a subwoofer to it to round out the bottom end. My question is will I be short-changing myself by getting an 8" sub instead of a larger one? My room is not big and it's in for an apartment so I don't need bowel-moving bass. Do 8" subs roll off at noticably higher freqs than 10" or 12"?

Do you listen to music, or just watch movies? What kinds of music? This is important, since some music requires a lot more precision from your subwoofer than your regular "rumble tracks" in a movie.

Edit: Increased precision is generally the advantage of a larger / more expensive woofer, that's what I'm trying to say. Apart from larger ones giving you deeper frequencies.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Bike
Dec 3, 2004

More tea Mr. Bike?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Do you listen to music, or just watch movies? What kinds of music? This is important, since some music requires a lot more precision from your subwoofer than your regular "rumble tracks" in a movie.

Edit: Increased precision is generally the advantage of a larger / more expensive woofer, that's what I'm trying to say. Apart from larger ones giving you deeper frequencies.

I'll likely be watching movies, watching cable, and listening to rock/metal mostly with maybe some jazz from time to time.