Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
And you thought you were hardcore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywg57u4H1o

Such amazing control of the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

That rider has loving balls to commit like that in the lovely conditions.

It's not really a surprise, really...but then again, most people can't/won't rider or drive like that, and considering you can pick up a used supersport for 5k that'd probably be drat close to the 1098S in terms of performance, if not a bit better...gotta love bikes for cheap performance and absurd acceleration.

These comparos are so dumb because they always take one of if not the fastest cars around, and put it up against a bike thats expensive and exotic, but not necessarily the fastest thing out there.

Lets do this one again, but this time on a dry track with a new ZX10.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Zool posted:

I don't believe for one second that you don't notice the headlight.
Agreed. For me, it's one of the main selling points on the looks of a bike. In my eyes, profiles for most sporsbikes are similar enough, and from the side, the BMW looks like most of the other SS's out there, but from the front.. :pwn:

It's the reason I dislike the aforementioned 2009 R1 (greatly preferring the 05-08 varieties), think the Ninja ZX-14 looks like a dang spider, and think the Duc 848 is probably the best looking bike on the market (and is preferrable to the 1098, which looks kinda neanderthal in comparison).

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

cmorrow001 posted:

:aaaaa:

Now I want a supermoto so bad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

cmorrow001 posted:

2:00 to 2:05 just makes me all :neckbeard:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

lostleaf posted:

:aaaaa:

Now I want a supermoto so bad.

That aint a supermoto thang fyi

I have the DVD from 07. One of the best extreme enduro vids out there. The Prologue is OK (from that youtube link), but its the mountains that are the best part by far.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

These comparos are so dumb because they always take one of if not the fastest cars around, and put it up against a bike thats expensive and exotic, but not necessarily the fastest thing out there.

You'd have to do the comparison on a pretty bike-optimized track for the bike to eat back the time it lost under braking and cornering. Bikes have power to weight in spades, but don't underestimate the contribution to speed of four fat contact patches.
I agree with the "dumb" statement though ;)

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

VTNewb posted:

That aint a supermoto thang fyi

I have the DVD from 07. One of the best extreme enduro vids out there. The Prologue is OK (from that youtube link), but its the mountains that are the best part by far.

What is the dvd called? Please let it be on netflix.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

lostleaf posted:

What is the dvd called? Please let it be on netflix.

It's not, It's just Romaniacs Hard Enduro

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Next month a DVD called Cafe Society is coming out, looks pretty interesting.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phat_Albert posted:

There's also the fact that due to the differing way bikes and cars take a track, they end up getting in each others way (see: 5th Gear Gallardo v 1098) and usually when they put a racer on the bike, they just show off.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Yeah, it would be better to do it with a dry track, a new litre supersport, and have the bike and car lap the track separately.

Then you could do a split screen or superimposed video showing them both doing their own thing, which is where the differences would really become apparent.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think they did something similar, except it was a supermoto vs. a subaru STi on a gravel and paved road. I think it was the same rider/driver for both, too.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 20, 2009

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

I think they did something similar, except it was a supermoto vs. a subaru STi on a gravel and paved road. I think it was the same rider/driver for both, too.

:france: Duel: Yamaha WR-F 450 vs Subaru Impreza WRX Group N :france:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That's the one. The bike beats the car by only a few seconds.

The two are hard to really compare, though since there's so much variety in racing.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

That's the one. The bike beats the car by only a few seconds.

The two are hard to really compare, though since there's so much variety in racing.

A few seconds in a 1:30ish lap is a pretty huge margin.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

blugu64 posted:

Good lord, fantastic!

I don't care what anyone says, I'm a huge fan of the Transalp and Africa Twin. I've owned two Transalps myself - one the same model as yours, and the more recent/more poo poo 2006 model is still in my garage)

I'm also the dunce that nobody hangs out with.

Good buy :)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Brake lockup out of loving nowhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkTkw0K-t0

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Retarded Pimp posted:

Brake lockup out of loving nowhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqkTkw0K-t0

Haha jesus. Handled it pretty well though. I like how at the end of the spin the left over force just sort of dumps the passenger out.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

the letter b posted:

Good lord, fantastic!

I don't care what anyone says, I'm a huge fan of the Transalp and Africa Twin. I've owned two Transalps myself - one the same model as yours, and the more recent/more poo poo 2006 model is still in my garage)

I'm also the dunce that nobody hangs out with.

Good buy :)

Thanks! I'm pretty excited, hopefully I'll be able to take delivery this weekend. Sadly they never brought the Africa Twin over to the states, I really wish I could find the import numbers for the 89 and 90 model years they bought it over here. I'm still kinda undecided if I want to get it up to spec and flip it for some sweet sweet cash, or find all the nearest offroad park/dirt roads and just ride the balls off of it. I almost feel guilty putting miles on something with that few miles, made to be ridden I suppose.

Side note: it's kinda weird owning a bike but only ever seen it in 3-4 photos of it.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

Z3n posted:

2:00 to 2:05 just makes me all :neckbeard:

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

gently caress me :byodood: That is pretty death defying.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The motorcycle scene in the new GI Joe movie made me want to get up and leave the theater. The rest of the movie made me regret not doing it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
one wheeled scooter, basically a Segway with a seat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAojeqJCzvo&feature=player_embedded

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

MrKatharsis posted:

The motorcycle scene in the new GI Joe movie made me want to get up and leave the theater. The rest of the movie made me regret not doing it.

Really? Because of the impossible sliding or because you don't like red heads?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudlM904mkg

I've ridden with a few of those guys, although many years later. :v: Also bonus hilarious 90s music.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cross-posted from the Craigslist Gold thread:

Translated:

1975 Ducati 500 Desmo Sport, customized (aluminum seat, Ducati 750 fork, aluminum rear arm, Conti exhaust, new wheels, fiberglass café-style tank). Price is for non-registered bike, registration+taxes will be between 5-8000kr. Original 500 Desmo sport (disassembled) also available, 12500kr (non-registered).

19900kr (~$3800)

http://www.motorcykelgalleri.dk/html/mar_vis.asp?MarID=60963

:swoon:

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Went to a car show last night with my CL350. Saw a couple cool bikes.

Turns out this CB160 was owned and worked on by the same Honda Guru guy who owned/rebuilt my CL350. Cool guy, cool new owner.

And hell there was cars too

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chill_Bebop posted:

2- and 4-wheeled things of beauty.

Beautiful shots! What kind of equipment did you shoot those with?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

KozmoNaut posted:

Beautiful shots! What kind of equipment did you shoot those with?

Just a canon 350D/XT with a 50mm f1.8

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Updated picture of my GS400 - waiting for the ferry at Needles, BC.

Click here for the full 1555x1166 image.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CRrAP7KHmM

Video I edited from a show last weekend :)

Also, some recent shots I took:

And myself from yesterday (lighting was pretty crappy and volatile):

inolen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 24, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
are those dents on your tanks deliberate? how do you do that without just cracking a hole in it?

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

are those dents on your tanks deliberate? how do you do that without just cracking a hole in it?

Yup, they're there to help you stay gripped in when sitting on it doing tricks.

The metal is pretty malleable, but sometimes you do crease/crack it. My tank actually had a pinhole in it when I got done with it that I had to have welded.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Hammer.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Hammer.

Haha, doh, forgot the most important part.

Yes, for the most part we just use a ball peen hammer. I also use a small circular aluminum plate that I place over the gas cap and beat with a cinder block to help get the dent started. Dropping the center of the tank first helps you avoid creases and gives you a nice lip in the back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

inolen posted:

Also, some recent shots I took:

And myself from yesterday (lighting was pretty crappy and volatile):

Awesome stuff, as always. Good to see more updates from you.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Really good to see someone smart and responsible about it. I always look forward to your posts. That video is stellar too. Great quality.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

inolen posted:

As someone who's fiancee tried golf for the first time a few weekends ago, I rather enjoyed the last 45 seconds. poo poo ain't easy. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

My hero.
http://vimeo.com/3862342