Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

the posted:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ - Pick a genre and listen

And then...

http://www.di.fm - Pick a channel and listen

too bad that chart is ENTIRELY full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Robotnik DDS posted:

Can anyone recommend me some cheesy, over the top, late 70's/early 80's sounding synth rock? Preferably instrumental. Something that sounds like John Carpenter or The Warriors?

I think Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream are just what you're looking for. However, there isn't as much guitar as the Carpenter/Warriors links.

Autobahn by Kraftwerk is a good album to start, although I don't consider it cheesy or over-the-top.

I'm not really an expert on Tangerine Dream, they have a lot of material. The first album of theirs I heard was Sorcerer, which is all synth and instrumental, maybe start there.

The Blade Running Soundtrack is also very synthy and very '80s. Done by a dude named Vangelis.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 18, 2009

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Threatis posted:

too bad that chart is ENTIRELY full of poo poo.

What, the guide? You have to admit it's a pretty extensive sampler of the varieties of electronic music. It hasn't been updated in a few years, but it's still a good introduction.

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Robotnik DDS posted:

Can anyone recommend me some cheesy, over the top, late 70's/early 80's sounding synth rock? Preferably instrumental. Something that sounds like John Carpenter or The Warriors?

Try Vangelis, who composed the Escape From New York stuff, and is probably most famous for this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJzcUvS_NU

breaks
May 12, 2001

The guide isn't a total lie, but it's both dated and tongue in cheek at best.

FalconGuy016 posted:

I know very very little about techno or electronica (?) music but I always enjoy it when I hear a really chill "techno" song. Maybe chill trance song? I don't know. I'd like to get into that world but I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend me anything?

This is very vague, so here's a variety of stuff, mostly at a lower tempo though.

Martin Buttrich - What's Your Name
Matthew Herbert - The Audience
Burial - Ghost Hardware
Deadbeat - Gimme a Little Dub
Tycho - Sunrise Projector
Manual - Nova
Fennesz - Black Sea
Medway & Sean Cusick - Columns of Clouds (last.fm)
Tipper - Adrift For Days
LTJ Bukem - Watercolours

If you like that Tipper track the album it's from kicks rear end, especially if you have a surround system and get hold of the surround version of it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FalconGuy016 posted:

I know very very little about techno or electronica (?) music but I always enjoy it when I hear a really chill "techno" song. Maybe chill trance song? I don't know. I'd like to get into that world but I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend me anything?
Give Chicane and Paul Oakenfold a listen.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

the posted:

What, the guide? You have to admit it's a pretty extensive sampler of the varieties of electronic music. It hasn't been updated in a few years, but it's still a good introduction.

i remember when he released this "updated" list about 5-6 years ago AND i remember the list before. it's incorrect on a ton of different points AND it's got genre's that down exist.

Realistically, go to the DJ Megathreads in NMD and PHIZ, listen to mixes, and then, when you find an artist you like, go out and find more artists like that.

edit: not to mention the guy who made it is an absolute tool.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Ishkur is a FOAF and he's a pretty cool guy in real life, he's kind of moving away from the scene though and focusing on his career like most ppl his age which is why his guide hasn't been updated in the last few years. I disagree with his taste and some of the way he's organized things, but honestly I still think his guide is a great way to get a general idea of the difference between the major genres and what influences and cross-influences they have, it's funny if not entirely accurate, and it has loving samples which puts it miles ahead of pretty much every other music guide (even Wikipedia isn't as easy and as quick to use). I would certainly reccomend someone click a few random bubbles in the 'house' section before they download a mix of house music not even knowing what it is that they might end up hating

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 18, 2009

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
I need new New Wave. I love the poo poo out of Talking Heads, early Gary Numan, B-52's, Santigold, Eurythmics, and Klaus loving Nomi (seriously I have listened to his self titled album at least 30 times in the past year), but I'd like some new artists along those lines (heavy reliance on synths, odd vocals).

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

I need new New Wave. I love the poo poo out of Talking Heads, early Gary Numan, B-52's, Santigold, Eurythmics, and Klaus loving Nomi (seriously I have listened to his self titled album at least 30 times in the past year), but I'd like some new artists along those lines (heavy reliance on synths, odd vocals).

I'm not sure if the vocals are odd, but XTC has some New Wave-ish albums ranging from Drums & Wires to Skylarking. And I'm pretty sure you've already heard Elvis Costello's early stuff which is a great New Wave/Punk hybrid. David Bowie also has a ton of proto-New Wave stuff like Scary Monsters and to an extent, Low, and Heroes. I hope those help even though they are pretty well known.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Some Alf DVDs posted:

I need punkish stuff (I guess you call it post-punk but that just sounds dumb), a la Fugazi. Something with good guitar work but an definite edge and punkish vibe to it.

I could probably recommend a couple of dozens of post hardcore/noise rock bands but these spring to mind right now:

Unsane. Living legends of the noise rock scene. Visqueen is my favourite album of theirs but their earlier stuff is more 'punkish'.
Cuttroaths 9. An unheralded band featuring two thirds of Unsane. They sound a lot like Unsane, but that's not a bad thing.
Hammerhead. Really good stuff from Amphetamine Reptile Records.
Halo of Flies. Yet another great Amrep band.
Refused, perhaps the finest band from Sweden. The Shape of Punk to Come is one of my favorite albums ever.
Deep Turtle, awesome weirdness from Finland.
And last but not least :nms:Cows:nms:, this video includes some gruesome monochromatic autopsy photos but the song is an absolute killer.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

If you've gone any distance into looking at New Wave and haven't yet listened to Devo then you should fix that immeadiately and get their first three albums to start with: Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!; Duty Now for the Future; Freedom of Choice.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pussybreathshotgun posted:

I could probably recommend a couple of dozens of post hardcore/noise rock bands but these spring to mind right now:

Unsane. Living legends of the noise rock scene. Visqueen is my favourite album of theirs but their earlier stuff is more 'punkish'.
Cuttroaths 9. An unheralded band featuring two thirds of Unsane. They sound a lot like Unsane, but that's not a bad thing.
Hammerhead. Really good stuff from Amphetamine Reptile Records.
Halo of Flies. Yet another great Amrep band.
Refused, perhaps the finest band from Sweden. The Shape of Punk to Come is one of my favorite albums ever.
Deep Turtle, awesome weirdness from Finland.
And last but not least :nms:Cows:nms:, this video includes some gruesome monochromatic autopsy photos but the song is an absolute killer.
These are some great bands, but a lot of them are more, well, AmRep than what I think he's looking for. As far as noise rock, Mclusky is probably closer.

In fact, I think I'll just start recommending Mclusky to every single person.

Edit: actually he liked Jesus Lizard so your recommendations are good ones! Nevermind!

DishonestDon
Aug 19, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

These are some great bands, but a lot of them are more, well, AmRep than what I think he's looking for. As far as noise rock, Mclusky is probably closer.

Edit: actually he liked Jesus Lizard so your recommendations are good ones! Nevermind!

I recommend Mclusky to everyone as well ,"run over your friends in stolen Volkswagens..... " beautiful. post-punk is an ugly term but if you like the awesomeness of Fugazi then....
Gang of four
minutemen
The Ex
Wire
Les Savy Fav ( like mclusky should be recommended to all )
Muder by Death
pretty girls make graves

You really don't have to be into punk or hardcore to listen to these bands . Most are classified as post-punk or straight punk or alternative-punk . Whatever, they have something to offer everyone .

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Ultravox, New Order, OMD, Peter Schilling

Also, A Flock of Seagulls. They've done a bunch more stuff than just "I Ran"

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

a lot of good ones have been listed but i'll add Pet Shop Boys, Yazoo, Kraftwerk, Human League, early INXS and Roxy Music

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.
So I recently got really into Minus the Bear, Keane, and Rebelution.

I'm looking for anything with a clean, kind of bass heavy sound, funky time signatures for bonus points, and good instrumentation. A smooth vocalist (s) also.

Anything similar to Keane, preferably a little groovier

Relating to Rebelution, I love the sound of Reggae with a modern twist. Try and keep horns out of it if possible, unless they're taking solos. I don't like ska too much.

Finally if anyone's into climbing, I'm looking for some tunes to put onto my shuffle while I'm on the wall. Minus the Bear has become a staple, but by no means does my music have to fit into that one genre. Recommendations?

Thanks.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kingcobweb posted:

McLusky are great (Nicotine stained on account of her crutch/And I'm aching from loving too much) and I don't know how I forgot about them. A shame they have disbanded, but Falkous and Egglestons new band Future of the Left is swell.

Speaking of The Jesus Lizard, Dave Yows earlier band Scratch Acid is mandatory listening. I would describe it as a more deranged Jesus Lizard. The Greatest Gift is a compilation of everything they ever did so start (and end) with that.

I would also like to recommend Drive Like Jehu. The 'emo' vocals might turn some people off, but it's not hard to get used to and the songwriting is top-notch. Yank Crime is their best record (one of my favorites of any band) but their self-titled debut is less progressive and a masterpiece in its own right.

EDIT: Just one more recommendation, I promise (because I sense that all this name-dropping is getting tiresome): STNNNG, the only great, active Twin-Cities post hardcore band I can think of, which is quite sad really, because the Minneapolis-St. Paul indie-rock scene was once one of the best in the USA.

MonkeeKong fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 20, 2009

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I've really been digging Lou Reed - Live: Take No Prisoners lately. Is there something out there that is like that but more coherent? It's a great album musically but Lou was out of his loving mind that night.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Sporadic posted:

I've really been digging Lou Reed - Live: Take No Prisoners lately. Is there something out there that is like that but more coherent? It's a great album musically but Lou was out of his loving mind that night.

I hate to break it to you, but lou has been out of his mind every night since about 1965

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

--Pimpjammin Funklin
Thanks everyone.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Looking for some hard alt rock along the lines of Kinesis's Forever Reeling. A good place to start on Kinesis would be appreciated too, as I only got this off a 3 song sampler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JnDDtlc9uk

Some stuff along the lines of 3 Colours Red's Repeat to Fade would be appreciated too.

Thanks

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

That link kind of makes me think of a crunchier My Vitriol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_TLDOOTnM

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Recently I've been binging on European symphonic metal and was looking for some recommendations on some classical orchestral music. As I don't really listen to classical music at all I really don't know how to be less vague, but if someone could recommend some symphonies that would appeal to a metal head, that would be great.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

neckbeard posted:

Recently I've been binging on European symphonic metal and was looking for some recommendations on some classical orchestral music. As I don't really listen to classical music at all I really don't know how to be less vague, but if someone could recommend some symphonies that would appeal to a metal head, that would be great.

Try Verdi's Requiem, Tchaikofsky's 4th Symphony, Shostakovich's 5th Symphony, Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, and Wagner's Valkyrie, they all get very :black101: and canon examples people might call the most 'epic' orchestral works

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Have you listened to Berlin live at St. Ann's Warehouse? It's lovely.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

--Pimpjammin Funklin

neckbeard posted:

Igor Stravinsky - Rite of Spring. It's 20th century and a ballet, but you'd probably like it.

Jagbag
Oct 5, 2008

neckbeard posted:

Rites of Spring is a good rec, and Vivaldi's 4 Seasons (Winter, most of all) and Modest Mussorgsky's Night On Bald Mountain are also good entry points for metalheads into the classical scene.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Can anybody recommend me some modern jazz?
I have been listening to stuff like Martin, Medeski and Wood, Liquid soul and Bela Fleck.
It can be mixed with other genres.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Threatis posted:

I hate to break it to you, but lou has been out of his mind every night since about 1965

I figured. I just thought that Take No Prisoners was extra crazy considering the way fans talk about it.

But it doesn't have to be just Lou Reed. Anybody that has that sound would be great.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Have you listened to Berlin live at St. Ann's Warehouse? It's lovely.

I only have three of his albums so far (Transformer, Berlin and Live: Take No Prisoners) and was thinking about importing Berlin on Blu-Ray from the UK. I'll definitely check it out though, thanks

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?
Anyone know any good unconventional banjo stuff? I'm all over Le Loup, Sufjan Stevens, and Bela Fleck already. What else is out there?

I'm also in the market for acoustic stuff similar to The Mountain Goats and Andrew Jackson Jihad. Any suggestions?

Hackuma posted:

Can anybody recommend me some modern jazz?
I have been listening to stuff like Martin, Medeski and Wood, Liquid soul and Bela Fleck.
It can be mixed with other genres.

I'm a big fan of Weather Report personally, especially the CD Heavy Weather.

Pious Pete fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 23, 2009

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
Tobacco and Black Moth Super Rainbow. What else is there?

Jagbag
Oct 5, 2008

Team Stab posted:

Tobacco and Black Moth Super Rainbow. What else is there?
The Octopus Project. Their solos are great, but the album where Black Moth and the Octopus Project collaborated is just fantastic. Also: Brain Children, a side project of a guy from the Eddy Current Suppression Ring, just came out with a debut EP that is catchy and has some similar sounds.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pious Pete posted:

Anyone know any good unconventional banjo stuff? I'm all over Le Loup, Sufjan Stevens, and Bela Fleck already. What else is out there?

I'm also in the market for acoustic stuff similar to The Mountain Goats and Andrew Jackson Jihad. Any suggestions?

Awesome music with banjo = William Elliott Whitmore.

Similar to Andrew Jackson Jihad = This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb.

Captain Canada
Jan 16, 2004

Sexy
Can anyone recommend something along the lines of Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue? It's an amazing glitchy album with a lot of elements of different genres of music and I don't think I've heard anything quite like it before.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I don't know if you'd put them in the same genre (math rock maybe?), but I've been listening to a lot of indie rock with weird experimental guitar work like Mew, Deerhunter, and Battles.

What else has the same feel? (I already know about Hella)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
After playing GTAIV too much, I want to check out some more Russian Rap/Hip-Hop artists. It just sounds so delightfully angry, any ideas?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Captain Canada posted:

Can anyone recommend something along the lines of Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue? It's an amazing glitchy album with a lot of elements of different genres of music and I don't think I've heard anything quite like it before.
To me that album sounds like a mix of Boards of Canada, J Dilla, Flying Lotus, and Simon and Garfunkel. So yeah, listen to those artists if you haven't.

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Bonk posted:

I don't know if you'd put them in the same genre (math rock maybe?), but I've been listening to a lot of indie rock with weird experimental guitar work like Mew, Deerhunter, and Battles.

Don Caballero is a great place to start if you just like weird rhythms. If you're into more melodic stuff, try Faraquet and Medications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bonk posted:

Marnie Stern?