Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziekke
Aug 15, 2006

The very first bike I rode. 1983 RM125. This is not my picture, since I can't seem to find any of the ones I've taken of it. I still have it in my garage but it needs to be fixed up.

My second bike, KD175. I got it for $200 with some awesome boots and a helmet. Lasted me a while, but right now the engine is sitting siezed up, also in my garage.

My first road bike. A 2008 Honda Rebel 250. Had a lot of fun on this bike but I rode a buddy's Saber 1100 and had to get my own.

Current bike. 2001 Shadow Spirit 1100. I got it for a steal of a deal and it's in fantastic shape/running condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Took some new pics of the bike when I was working on it yesterday.

Getting better. Still sorting out some low speed chatter issues, I have new EBC x-disc rotors, just waiting on new pads then I'm going to go through the front brakes again.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Here is my current sweet ride:

And me on my future baby:

The current owner is a very cool guy who is nice enough to help me learn how to ride this beast.
It certainly is very different from the scoot!

e: Oh yeah, and I'm going to get my rear end signed up for the MSF right away too.

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 20, 2009

zmikel
Sep 11, 2001
Stone Throwing
Just got my second bike, a GSXR600K7. Before this I'd been riding an EX500, however the ignition circuit went on the fritz and I decided to part it out. The bike had been crashed by the previous owner (hit tail-light doing wheelie and fell over on left side) and looked a bit rough on the left hand side.

Here's a picture of it as I got it.

So to ebay I went. This is how it looks now, all that's left to replace is the taillight now and order some missing fasteners and it'll be pretty much sorted out.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Took the B1250 out camping last weekend to McIntosh Woods State Park in Clear Lake Iowa for a PGI meet (go see one next year in Appleton Wi. if you're into fireworks.)

For those looking at the cortech sport bags for your ride, have a look.

I did over 430 miles on the stock saddle in one day and a total of 871 miles for the weekend. I'm pretty sure my rear end can only take 500 miles in the stock saddle....

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Probably the most irrational purchase I've ever made:

I wish I'd done a bit more research on 'em, though - turns out they overheat pretty easily in stop-and-go traffic, so getting stuck in traffic can be a little worrying.

There's a guy I work with that has an old Indian, from the 40s, I think. Great looking bike; I'll have to see if I can get a photo of it.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Probably the most irrational purchase I've ever made:

I wish I'd done a bit more research on 'em, though - turns out they overheat pretty easily in stop-and-go traffic, so getting stuck in traffic can be a little worrying.

There's a guy I work with that has an old Indian, from the 40s, I think. Great looking bike; I'll have to see if I can get a photo of it.

Ride around the traffic! One particularly hot day, I was worried about my air cooled bike, and did just that.....aaaand got pulled over. The cop could obviously tell I was sweating profusely in work clothes, and I explained to him that I really didn't want it to die, only to have to let everyone pass me and then just wait in traffic again once I could get it started. He was understanding, and then when he let me go without a formal warning, and of course the bike didn't want to start up! He was VERY friendly at that point and hung around and directed traffic for a bit until I got going.

I'm not sure how much sympathy you'll get on a Ducati, though, my 27 year old Suzuki really doesn't get me any prejudicial treatment.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nice Duc! I wasn't a fan of the headlight before, but now I like the robot look it has going. My monster's due for a valve check and possibly new cam belts, I can't imagine how hard that's gonna hit my wallet. :sweatdrop:

I also wonder why Ducati continues to stick with desmodromic valves when other bikes have almost twice the redline with spring valves. Tradition?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

UserNotFound posted:

Ride around the traffic! One particularly hot day, I was worried about my air cooled bike, and did just that.....aaaand got pulled over.
True. The only time traffic is really an issue for me is when I venture into San Fran... and I'm sure the cops there have worse offenders to deal with than me.

Slim Pickens posted:

Nice Duc! I wasn't a fan of the headlight before, but now I like the robot look it has going. My monster's due for a valve check and possibly new cam belts, I can't imagine how hard that's gonna hit my wallet. :sweatdrop:
Thanks! The 749/999 are definitely polarizing bikes - people usually love 'em or hate 'em. I do worry about what maintenance costs will be, but most of my other hobbies are pretty cheap. I figure it'll put enough of a dent in my wallet that I won't get the bright idea of trying to rally out my Subaru.

Slim Pickens posted:

I also wonder why Ducati continues to stick with desmodromic valves when other bikes have almost twice the redline with spring valves. Tradition?
It seems like tradition is a pretty strong motivator for a lot of european car / bike manufacturers. It keeps them a known quantity with reliable "quirks"... unlike those fancy japanese bikes with their cutting edge technology and ABS and poo poo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slim Pickens posted:

I also wonder why Ducati continues to stick with desmodromic valves when other bikes have almost twice the redline with spring valves.
since when? don't ducati v2s have a redline near that of i4 engines?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

since when? don't ducati v2s have a redline near that of i4 engines?

Quick Googling shows the 2009 1198 redlining at 10,500rpm, the 2009 R1 at 13,750rpm, and the RSV4 (for fun) at 13,700rpm. I imagine it's got more to do with the mass of the pistons than the valves.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

Desmodromic valves allow very aggressive ramp rates. The real reason in probably branding.
And no comparable engine revs anywhere near twice as high as a Ducati.
Buell 1125R 10500
Aprilia RSV Factory 12000
Ducati 1198 10500

Zool fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 20, 2009

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought I read that the 1098 redlined at 9,500, but I think that was actually what it makes peak horsepower at. The 4-cylinder 600's rev pretty high(GSX-R 750 @ 14,500), as well as the liter bikes, but yeah, those aren't even comparable to a twin. Like gay nudist dad said, I guess it's more to do with piston mass. I blew it on the numbers, but hte point I was trying to make is desmo valves don't hold an advantage anymore and seem to cost more to produce and maintain.

Their bikes keep winning races, so I'm nobody to tell them how to build them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Quick Googling shows the 2009 1198 redlining at 10,500rpm,
that sounds pretty goddamn awesome for two ~600cc pistons. smaller (i4) pistons always rev higher.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

True. The only time traffic is really an issue for me is when I venture into San Fran... and I'm sure the cops there have worse offenders to deal with than me.

You can legally lane split in San Fran assuming its like the rest of California. Why are you worried about cops?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

sklnd posted:

You can legally lane split in San Fran assuming its like the rest of California. Why are you worried about cops?

He does all his lanesplitting on one wheel, and it may not be the rear.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Wish I had pictures of all the bikes I've owned. This is my newest one. 09 Deluxe.

Added a few things.

Sorry it's a bit blurry. I'd have more but deploying tomorrow and the bike is 300 miles away in a garage.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

PenisMonkey posted:

Wish I had pictures of all the bikes I've owned. This is my newest one. 09 Deluxe.

"It's not an oil leak, it's a continuous oil renewal system."

I know I know...

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone
Here's me sitting in stopped traffic on I-87 somewhere in NY a couple weeks ago. 18 wheeler rolled or something and really hosed up traffic. Luckily it was like 95 degrees and there was no shade around and 90% humidity for the hour and a half of us sitting there. I had a lot of fun though, it was my first long trip on a bike (Norfolk, VA to Albany area, NY).

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

And another from that same trip. That's my buddy's Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 or something.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Mine's a '97 H-D XL883H WTFBBQ Sportster. The H is for Hugger, which means the suspension is ludicrously short, which is my only complaint, since the roads and highways around Norfolk make the frost heaves and potholes of the North look like a manicured racetrack. Also, the Harley 883 makes about 12 horsepower, but that's OK because it's plenty fast for my newbie rear end (been riding about a year).

Edit: Two Harleys in a row? In my CA? Well to balance it out I've also got a '77 Suzuki GS750 that I posted some time ago. I don't ride it nowadays because it tried to kill me on the interstate. When I get some cash I'll fix it up and put some miles on it, like it deserves. It's only got 17,000 on the clock!

Beefington fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 20, 2009

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Beefington posted:

Well to balance it out I've also got a '77 Suzuki GS750 that I posted some time ago. I don't ride it nowadays because it tried to kill me on the interstate. When I get some cash I'll fix it up and put some miles on it, like it deserves. It's only got 17,000 on the clock!

You don't want it, I'll take it! My 82 GS550 only has 9,400 miles :D

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone

UserNotFound posted:

You don't want it, I'll take it! My 82 GS550 only has 9,400 miles :D

Oh no, I most definitely want it, it just needs some tinkering and cleaning so it doesn't randomly lose power while riding in 70mph traffic. I love that we can still find low mileage bikes that old. The PO did some stuff to it, like get the seat recovered and stuffed, and ...well that's about all he did I guess.

Man now I want to pull it out of the back of the garage and take it apart. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
For high performance applications the desmo valvetrain is actually pretty awesome. Just look how Ducati is still able to use it in MotoGP while everyone else has had to go to a pneumatic valvetrain.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009

sklnd posted:

Oh, I lane split when I need to. My post wasn't entirely clear - I'm not particularly worried about cops, I'm more concerned about aggressive drivers / unobservant tourists.

//edit: dude with the old indian bike didn't ride today, so no photo.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

zmikel posted:

Just got my second bike, a GSXR600K7. Before this I'd been riding an EX500, however the ignition circuit went on the fritz and I decided to part it out. The bike had been crashed by the previous owner (hit tail-light doing wheelie and fell over on left side) and looked a bit rough on the left hand side.

Get the frame checked, they're made of cheese.

Slim Pickens posted:

Several reasons:

1) Desmo eliminates valve float at high-rpm
2) Massively reduces friction losses in the valvetrain. I've heard that to turn over the valvetrain on pre-pneumatic valve GP bike you'll need a wrench and as big a breaker bar as you can find, you can turn over the D16 by hand.

Basically it removes the valve train as a limit to RPM. If you removed the limiter you could basically keep revving it faster and faster until the rods break.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
New road bike...

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img341/2644/hornet.jpg

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Get the frame checked, they're made of cheese.

I wouldn't say "made of cheese", but they have been known to crack at the welds near the headstock from abuse relating to wheelies and crashing.

But that's not too far out of the ordinary anyway. You can't toss a bike into a curb or the ground over and over and really expect things to not break eventually.

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

did you go to town with hot wheel tracks, Joan Quinn?

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't say "made of cheese", but they have been known to crack at the welds near the headstock from abuse relating to wheelies and crashing.

But that's not too far out of the ordinary anyway. You can't toss a bike into a curb or the ground over and over and really expect things to not break eventually.

I've been meaning to ask about this. I'm looking into maybe getting a GSXR 600 pretty soon as either a street or track bike, but was worried when I saw a few instances of the welds cracking. Is it safe to say a good condition, never wrecked street bike will be just fine but it would be better to avoid one as a track bike?

Edit: To elaborate, I'm planning on getting either a GSXR 600 '06 or later or CBR600RR '05, preferably '07 or later for the street and either a GSXR 600, CBR600RR, or R6 for the track. After sitting on or briefly riding all of them I actually like the Suzuki best for the street, but I've been a bit worried about those welds ever since I saw this thread on the NESBA forums: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=6700

Net Boners fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 21, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Blakeem bin Bustin posted:

I've been meaning to ask about this. I'm looking into maybe getting a GSXR 600 pretty soon as either a street or track bike, but was worried when I saw a few instances of the welds cracking. Is it safe to say a good condition, never wrecked street bike will be just fine but it would be better to avoid one as a track bike?

I'd just inspect the welds on the bike. That's the best way to tell. It's not just gonna be perfect and then suddenly shatter out of nowhere. Most of the time when people are bitching about this problem, they literally drove the bike head first into a wall or curb. More rarely, it's from a really bad track crash.

I've never seen a crashed GSX-R with split welds, even in bikes that were absolutely brutalized in track crashes.

I'd be aware of it, but if I had a crashed GSX-R and the frame and forks were straight and there wasn't any cracking, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Hell, my SV has a cracked and re-welded frame, and it's straight and fine. It took getting t-boned by a volvo at 30mph to do it.

Edit:

Blakeem bin Bustin posted:

Edit: To elaborate, I'm planning on getting either a GSXR 600 '06 or later or CBR600RR '05, preferably '07 or later for the street and either a GSXR 600, CBR600RR, or R6 for the track. After sitting on or briefly riding all of them I actually like the Suzuki best for the street, but I've been a bit worried about those welds ever since I saw this thread on the NESBA forums: http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=6700

From that thread, it looks like either the welds were defective, or he was putting down excessive numbers of wheelies poorly. I'd personally lean towards the first, but again, it's hard to exactly say what happened.

Also, if I had a dollar for every time someone claimed the bike hosed up and flipped them off/crashed them, i'd be a rich man. I'm not saying that he's lying about the frame splitting, but I could easily see it being something else that caused that issue, and the crash destroyed the weakened welds. I doubt there was a single factor that caused a severe failure like that.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 21, 2009

zmikel
Sep 11, 2001
Stone Throwing
The frame didn't seem like it took any damage. The gas tank had a worryingly deep dent in the left hand side, but has since been replaced. Anyone know if there's anything to be concerned about running a 49state tank on a CA bike? The evaporative emission system intake from the tank is just kind of chilling. The bike runs fine with no error indications on the gauge so I assume it's fine. Only modification required was to switch two screws on the gas cap holder on top of the tank.

The local suzuki dealership service department managed to snap one of the front engine mounting bolts, so it only has the two that go through in the back and the front right. But the hosed up thing is the tech that did this didn't tell anyone and just epoxied the bolt head back in place to hide it. So I bring the bike home and go to put on some frame sliders and get a great surprise...yeah last time I trust that service department. :suicide:

Anyways I'm pleased with the bike overall, it's a great upgrade from the 500.

greginno
Jan 7, 2004
The Old:

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

The New :holy:

2009 Triumph Daytona 675

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Hirayama posted:

;)

nice bike

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

GLORIOUS NIPPON/Soichiro Honda IS GOD

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Transalps rule. Too bad we never got the Africa Twin in the States. :smith:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

rope kid posted:

Transalps rule. Too bad we never got the Africa Twin in the States. :smith:

Thanks! I'm really digging it. So much more power and room then the Ninja 250. I've read about some people with too much money that have bought Africa Twins overseas and shipped them in 2-3 shipments as 'parts' and then registered them as 'kits'. Till I've got more money then I know what to do with I'll stick with this :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
After three months of work, my unloved little '93 ex500 is finally back together. I'm still waiting on a new gascap and ignition in the mail though, so it's not exactly running yet.

It's painted with bedliner, and I don't plan on buying a new front fairing, but it's probably the most satisfying thing I've ever done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
After 10 years of having 4 stroke bikes, both off road and on road I thought it's time to try a 2 stroke. So much bloody fun...

Its 250cc and now has about 5 hours on it after a weekend away. I can't wait to get back on it again, I'm planning on getting some 17" supermotard wheels for it but sadly that will happen in the distant future. It's an absolute blast to ride and now I really want a 2 stroke track day bike!

Kanye East fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 25, 2009

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

I don't seem to have any photos of my old CBR600F2, but I do have a nice new 07' GSXR600. Purchased it at a dealer with warranties abound, and with only 601 miles on it. Picked it up for a few $$$'s less than kbb value. It is still in it's break-in period so I set my shift light to 7000. This thing is baby fresh...

armchair
May 19, 2005

creak... creak... creak...
I got my first bike a week ago. It is a 1981 Suzuki GS650E. Pretty decent condition, with 18.4k on the odometer. It's at my brother's house for now, so it's a little inconvenient for now, but I've taken it out twice and had a good time. The tach stopped working yesterday, but I imagine that it is just the cable that broke.

This is the picture the seller had because I haven't taken any of my own yet.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

lifenomad posted:

I don't seem to have any photos of my old CBR600F2, but I do have a nice new 07' GSXR600. Purchased it at a dealer with warranties abound, and with only 601 miles on it. Picked it up for a few $$$'s less than kbb value. It is still in it's break-in period so I set my shift light to 7000. This thing is baby fresh...

I've never been particularly attracted to Gixxers for whatever reason, but that's a hot color combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
My new baby.

2003 Yamaha FZ1. Only 13k miles.