Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I'm jealous coyo7e. I wish I could grow a larger shrub of rosemary, but I'm in Wisconsin, in an apartment. It dies if left out in winter in a container :( I think next year I'm planting some in my mothers garden before she has a chance to say no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Videodrome posted:

I've also had success with the idiot-proof AeroGarden I got for Christmas. Unfortunately the starter herbs (mint, basil, thyme, chives, parsley, and dill) are mostly useless for anything I would be cooking.

My mom also got one of these for Christmas - tried growing lettuce that never made it much beyond the sprouting stage. I thought this thing was idiot proof? What went wrong?

Every year we get a somewhat random grow surrounding the compost bin. Usually melons, zucchini or pumpkins. This year we thought we had a tremendous batch of pumpkins coming in, but sadly they turned out to be ever-useless decorative Goards. We have absolutely no idea where they came from - and in such supply - considering not a single goard has entered this house in the last 5 years.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

My garden has been doing great but I was wonder if any knew what this was:

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

And this:

I figured they're bug eggs. Anyone had some ideas or suggestions to take care of them?

Speaking of bugs check out this coolass one:

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009

Shazzner posted:

My garden has been doing great but I was wonder if any knew what this was:

And this:

I figured they're bug eggs. Anyone had some ideas or suggestions to take care of them?

Speaking of bugs check out this coolass one:

try a 50% solution of isopropyl alcohol in a spraybottle. Spraying the plant shouldn't hurt it and won't leave residue, but it kills bugs great, especially when there's too much to remove by hand.

edit: Also spraying grasshoppers with it means drunk grasshoppers before they eventually die. I'm not sure if this makes me a horrible person for enjoying watching them.

Banana Factory fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 19, 2009

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Perfect, I just bought a huge bottle of iso-alcohol too! Thanks. :)

Aust
Jan 27, 2009
Anyone know anything about aeroponic gardening? There are plenty of books on hydroponic, even if most are for growing weed. There appears to be little on aeroponics. I have found a few research papers that I could upload if anyone wants them, I just need a place to upload. However, the papers appear to be about results and not much about how to go around doing it. So far I have had to resort to sites about growing weed to find how-to's.

I have found http://www.biocontrols.com/secure/shop/category.asp?catid=11 which seems to be good for building your own. I plan on having an aeroponic set-up in my closet and putting some lights in there.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
BIG QUESTION HERE

Going to school for an AAS in horticulture - okay idea or horrible deadly mistake? y/n?

I'm looking to turn a distant hobby into a job, I'm just not sure how much of a "job" a hobby can be.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Fix my blossom end rot on my tomatoes!!

Please!!

What calcium/fertilizer stuff has worked for you??

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Oh god oh god oh god our tomatoes are all getting ripe and we don't know what to do with all of them now!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

NosmoKing posted:

Please!!

Less sporadic watering!

And a sprinkle of organic miracle grow plant food.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

NosmoKing posted:

Please!!

I mixed a cup of milk into a gallon of water and gave them that, and so far it seems to have helped. It's not going to fix the ones that already rotted but it doesn't look like any more of my green tomatoes are turning brown. This could be total bullshit though, I had mixed opinions when I looked it up. Interestingly enough, I've been feeding my tomatoes with Miracle Gro tomato food the entire time (though it's not the organic stuff) and they still developed blossom-end rot. Apparently Miracle Gro is also shacked up with Monsanto, so I'm going to ditch it anyway and try to make my own compost next year.

Chajara fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 20, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Found some lemon cucumber starts at wal-mart and said "why not?" since lemon cukes are one of my favorite vegetables (they aren't burpy and have skins that're easier to eat than normal cucumbers, with a better flavor) and stuck one in the ground in the northwest corner of my yard, along with a yellow squash. Nothing fancy but with a dash of miracle-gro and plenty of water I'm hoping to get some cukes before it starts freezing around here.

I didn't bother to turn the soil much or clear out all of the remaining crap in the bed where I put them, because they should both grow plenty fast, and I don't want to have a mudhole all winter since it rains a TON here.

fake-edit: also I learned from a local seed company catalog that I'm in zone 8b, not 6b or 7b like I'd previously assumed.

I've been razing the horribly overgrown English Garden in my yard though, and I'm quite pleased:

Note: In that last picture, that orangey thing on the stem in the middle, what the gently caress is that? I've got several of them in my yard, it's a stem 10"-16" with a ~4" bit at the end with berries covering it. The berries range from rgeen->yellow->orange at the end, and they're all scrunched together, almost geometrically. My parents own a nursery and have no clue what it is.. I forgot to take a pic of it up-close but I will later in case anybody has a clue.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 20, 2009

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Any idea why my cantaloupes are dropping off of the vine when they're still so little? They are half the size of regular cantaloupes, still very tasty, but little.

Also, I am almost sick of eating so many beans.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Note: In that last picture, that orangey thing on the stem in the middle, what the gently caress is that? I've got several of them in my yard, it's a stem 10"-16" with a ~4" bit at the end with berries covering it. The berries range from rgeen->yellow->orange at the end, and they're all scrunched together, almost geometrically. My parents own a nursery and have no clue what it is.. I forgot to take a pic of it up-close but I will later in case anybody has a clue.

Sounds like a "Lord and Ladies". I've also seen them called a "Candle Flower" before. They're actually quite invasive since they seed and make bulblets so readily.

moana posted:

Any idea why my cantaloupes are dropping off of the vine when they're still so little? They are half the size of regular cantaloupes, still very tasty, but little.

How small are we talking? It's possible that they weren't fertilized and the plant aborted them. Cantaloupes also need LOTS of water to reach the size you see in the grocery store.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 20, 2009

The Big One
Aug 22, 2007

climb aboard the murder train

coyo7e posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arum_maculatum

Looks like it might cause an allergic reaction too, so gloves would be a good idea just in case.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Big One posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arum_maculatum

Looks like it might cause an allergic reaction too, so gloves would be a good idea just in case.
Awesome this is exactly what it is - thanks to both of you! :D

moana posted:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dilly+bean

Dilly Beans are loving awesome (especially if you do a spicy variant on the recipe.) I recommend lots of garlic, because pickled spicy garlic cloves are awesome, too.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 21, 2009

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

kid sinister posted:

How small are we talking? It's possible that they weren't fertilized and the plant aborted them. Cantaloupes also need LOTS of water to reach the size you see in the grocery store.
Not that small - like 4 inches in diameter. Still tasty to eat, but just not
big like they're supposed to be! You're probably right about the water. We hit a heat wave in San Diego and I probably should have kept a better eye on the moisture levels. I was afraid of overwatering though.

coyo7e - I will have to try these!

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this pepper? I googled it and the only thing I can guess is maybe a bacterial infection. It was fine for the longest time, but I was waiting for it to turn red and suddenly the middle turned grey and wrinkly. I cut it open expecting mold or a big fat bug or something, but the inside looks okay. It was so pretty before. :( I've got a few more that are starting to grow now, I hope they don't do this too.

My cat doesn't seem to mind its unsightliness, though:

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Anyone thinking of planting for fall yet? I had a little accident with two big planters of leafy greens (drip irrigation went wonky, long weekend, flooded plants :() so I replanted them with lettuces and some carrots. But I vaguely remember from my childhood my mother saying carrots get sweeter when the weather gets colder. When would be the optimal time to start planting for a cooldown?

MarshallX posted:

Oh god oh god oh god our tomatoes are all getting ripe and we don't know what to do with all of them now!
Gazpacho, man! A delicious way to enjoy late summer and use a boatload of tomatoes.

hepscat fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 21, 2009

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009

hepscat posted:

Anyone thinking of planting for fall yet? I had a little accident with two big planters of leafy greens (drip irrigation went wonky, long weekend, flooded plants :() so I replanted them with lettuces and some carrots. But I vaguely remember from my childhood my mother saying carrots get sweeter when the weather gets colder. When would be the optimal time to start planting for a cooldown?

Probably as soon as you can put a seed down and it doesn't die. If you want to get a head start, just construct a semi-shade over the seeds and they should survive until it gets cool enough to grow on their own.

For the fall I'm planting Swiss Chard, collards, Kai-laan, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi and whatever other leafy green I can get ahold of that isn't iceberg lettuce. I am excited about the prospect of planting fractal broccoli this season.

What sort of cold can collard greens tolerate? I read somewhere it is the most cold-tolerant leafy green vegetable out there. Can I plant it during the winter when it goes to 0F every night?

Anyways right now in my garden, I noticed that on my bell pepper plant the only sad little bell it had filled with worms and fell off. It was the final straw for me.

I'm opting for the final solution to my bug problem. I went to the crafts section of wal-mart and I bought some nylon net with large-ish holes of the kind they use in fancy dresses. the holes are exactly too small for everything that is destroying my crops, but big enough that it doesn't block much light. Now I'm sewing the cloth together into bags that can fit over the plants. gently caress you grasshoppers. And gently caress you too, worms.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Banana Factory posted:

I am excited about the prospect of planting fractal broccoli this season.
Yeah I saw that stuff in a seed catalog and I was on it like fruit flies on compost. :btroll:

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Oh poo poo I am obsessed with broccoli and never thought about planting it. Hello new project.

I've never planted anything, though. I'm starting with tomatoes because they seem the easiest. If I can successfully grow tomatoes then I'll move on to bigger things. Man, I would love to plant cantaloupes. I can devour 3 of those suckers in one day. But I live in Southern California and it's very hot and dry. I don't know if I can do it. I'd love to grow watermelon, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Broccoli is awesome in cold weather - greens that are cold-hardy store extra glucose when the temps go down as a natural antifreeze - they're super yummy!

Here's some stuff to whet your broccoli appetite from my local seed store..

Also, badass pics of fractal broccoli http://images.google.com/images?q=fractal+broccoli

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 24, 2009

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

"You're leading the innocent astray..."
I have a quick question about those peat pots people seem to use a lot... Can they stunt the growth of roots? I used these to grow peppers, and the plants never got very big. When I finally dug them up (the plants) the outer mesh of the pot was still in tact... like 4 months later. I'm about to use them to propagate okra.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah they can rootbind plants - I always score the outsides of them with a knife on four sides, about 1/4" to 1/2" deep and pull them apart just a bit to facilitate them spreading out. I do the same thing with plants that I pull from plastic pots since they tend to be a solid mass of roots if they've been in the pot long.

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I always score the outsides of them with a knife on four sides, about 1/4" to 1/2" deep and pull them apart just a bit to facilitate them spreading out.
Good advice, I'm going to do this with the veggies I'm growing now.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I'm now the proud owner of tomato, broccoli, and cantaloupe seeds. I think it might be too late in the season to grow cantaloupes (though I live in Southern California, if that makes a difference), but I'm gonna try. Any advice? I already planted the tomatoes in doors. Someone advised me to water them from the bottom up so the pots are sitting in a little plate of water.

I'm so excited about this. I wish there was a gardening thread.

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

Everything I grow ends up coming out miniature... I just pulled a beetroot up. The leaves look fine, but the beet itself is just tiny (it's been in the ground for a good 3 months!). To continue what I was saying about those peat pots stunting the size of my plants: I grew 3 chilli plants (hot thai), that only grew to about 10 inches tall...they've started flowering and everything. Should I dig them up and score the peat pot mesh now, or should I just start all over again and make sure that they have enough room to grow before I put them in the ground? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but the instructions on those peat pots tell you to put them directly in the ground!

Island Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 26, 2009

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
How much have you been watering your plants? Those peat pots work great... if you water the plants enough to make them soft.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Aust posted:

Anyone know anything about aeroponic gardening? There are plenty of books on hydroponic, even if most are for growing weed. There appears to be little on aeroponics. I have found a few research papers that I could upload if anyone wants them, I just need a place to upload. However, the papers appear to be about results and not much about how to go around doing it. So far I have had to resort to sites about growing weed to find how-to's.

I have found http://www.biocontrols.com/secure/shop/category.asp?catid=11 which seems to be good for building your own. I plan on having an aeroponic set-up in my closet and putting some lights in there.

Take a look at the book How-to-Hydroponics, they include instructions for a very easy to make aeroponic garden using micro-sprayers:
http://howtohydroponics.com/
They also have a store where you can buy every part in the book including an entire setup:
http://www.futuregarden.com/hydroponics/systems_aerospring.html

I build one recently but I've still working on my clonings before I start it up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

kid sinister posted:

How much have you been watering your plants? Those peat pots work great... if you water the plants enough to make them soft.
This. I don't even put a peat-pot into the ground until I've soaked it pretty well so I can pull it apart with my fingers - forgot to mention that earlier.

Many plants' roots will only grow as far as you "suggest" they grow, which is why my folks (who owned a nursery for a decade or two) taught me to pull the roots apart a bit before planting into dirt or a larger container.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Can someone ID my bush and the tons of berries I got off of it? For a little background, the house was prevously owned by an arabian dude and there is a loquat tree and mint everywhere. There's this bush about 8' tall with shiny leaves and fruit about 1-2 inches across. Here's some photos.

Click here for the full 507x676 image.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mr-Spain posted:

Can someone ID my bush and the tons of berries I got off of it? For a little background, the house was prevously owned by an arabian dude and there is a loquat tree and mint everywhere. There's this bush about 8' tall with shiny leaves and fruit about 1-2 inches across. Here's some photos.

That's weird, I've never seen anything like that before... Where do live? How many seeds are there per fruit? Is the fruit sectioned in any way?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

Those fruit look like crab apples.

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

kid sinister posted:

I live in a fairly dry climate (Australia), so I've been making sure they get enough water... maybe not enough though.

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

What do they look like on the inside? They look a bit like teeny, tiny pomegranates.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Mr-Spain posted:

Those look like Hawthorns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crataegus_monogyna

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I planted those broccoli seeds on Tuesday and then California decided to invite over the worst heat wave ever. It was 105 yesterday. I don't think my broccoli is gonna grow :(.

But I saw a tomato bulb today! So excited.

Klarre
Oct 28, 2005

I'm 20 deep in V.I.P. puffin' Mary Jane
So I got some cuttings or whatever it's called from a loving huge tomato plant I have on my balcony, now I really don't think they will get any tomatoes on them before winter so I was thinking about putting them inside my apartment. I have a 80watt CFL and a bunch of 20watt (2500k) to use if necessary, will this be enough for 2 plants or will it just die or produce the smallest tomatoes ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
I want to start an herb garden in my apartment, but all the windows are west-facing and are shaded by some old trees. They get mostly direct sun for about 6 hours. Is it light enough to grow stuff, or will I have to purchase a lamp? I really hope I don't have to.

Edit: grammar

Fame Throwa fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 29, 2009