Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Jagtpanther posted:

What was the tag-team that had Andre, Earthquake/Tugboat, Akeem (or some other big-man combination) wearing black singlets and lucha masks?

How did you get Earthquake, Tugboat, and Akeem? Those guys were a good 100lbs heavier than Blackjack Mulligan and Bill Eadie/Masked Superstar/Demolition Axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
What's a "go home show" ?

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Zanael posted:

A go home show is the show preceding a pay per view.

So this week's RAW, ECW and Smackdown are "Go Home" shows to Summerslam. They are supposed to be designed to get last minute buys into the PPV.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Zanael posted:

The last weekly show before a PPV. This weeks Raw, ECW and Smackdown are all go home shows for Summerslam.

Edit: Beaten like Rhaka

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WeaselWeaz posted:

How did you get Earthquake, Tugboat, and Akeem? Those guys were a good 100lbs heavier than Blackjack Mulligan and Bill Eadie/Masked Superstar/Demolition Axe

And don't forget the Hulk Machine, Piper Machine, and The Crusher Machine!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Are there any significant (that is a loose term, but i dont mean jobbers or anything like that) american wrestlers, who have stayed either Heel or Face for their entire career?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Oasx posted:

Are there any significant (that is a loose term, but i dont mean jobbers or anything like that) american wrestlers, who have stayed either Heel or Face for their entire career?

Ricky the Dragon Steamboat. From all I can remember has been face his whole career.

But lets wait and see how long it takes for me to be proven wrong.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I'm pretty sure that Ultimate Warrior was never a heel. At least under the Ultimate Warrior name.

Were Honky Tonk Man or Ted Debiase ever faces in the WWE?

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 20, 2009

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I'm pretty sure that Ultimate Warrior was never a heel. At least under the Ultimate Warrior name.

As far as I know Honky debuted as a face but the crod pretty quickly turned on him and he turned heel

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I seem to remember from DiBiase's book that he started as a face (pre-WWE), but he was turned heel when he split from his tag partner at the time. Not sure about his WWE career though

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

apsouthern posted:

I seem to remember from DiBiase's book that he started as a face (pre-WWE), but he was turned heel when he split from his tag partner at the time. Not sure about his WWE career though

Off the top of my head, DiBiase was a heel in Mid south, but turned face after being tossed head-first into a post by then tag team partner Dick Murdoch. It was some fantastic angle where DiBiase refused to give Murdoch his NWA WHC shot against Flair so Murdoch turned on him, busting him just brutally open, and DiBiase demanded the match against doctor's orders.

I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere.

And Steamboat I know was teased as going heel in TNA, but didn't end up turning by the time he left.

I was going to say Jeff Hardy was another guy who was always face, but I think he was a heel as a member of the new brood.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
What about Mysterio? Was he ever heel? Or RVD for that matter?

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

apsouthern posted:

He was a face in the WWF in 1979-80 and I think someone in the Hulk Hogan thread posted a heel Hogan vs. a face DiBiase match from that time period.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

apsouthern posted:

What about Mysterio? Was he ever heel? Or RVD for that matter?

Mysterio: 2000 in WCW with the Filthy Animals

RVD: Mr. Monday Night gimmick in 1996-7

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Someone might want to start a topic for this, it seems to come here (and the last thread) every few months (I might be mis-remembering).

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Was Tito Santana ever a heel? I can't recall him ever working as a heel.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Beeswax posted:

As far as I know Honky debuted as a face but the crod pretty quickly turned on him and he turned heel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2llIfgQ7v2Y

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Pneub posted:

Someone might want to start a topic for this, it seems to come here (and the last thread) every few months (I might be mis-remembering).
You're a giant baby about threads.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Yellowjacket Hawky posted:

You're a giant baby about threads.

...What? Whatever, figured it might make an ok thread.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Ricky the Dragon Steamboat. From all I can remember has been face his whole career.

But lets wait and see how long it takes for me to be proven wrong.

Steamboat was turning heel in TNA in 2002, but they stopped using him before he fully turned.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
So, is Tito the only other guy who never went heel?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DM Punk posted:

So, is Tito the only other guy who never went heel?

That's who I was thinking.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

DM Punk posted:

Was Tito Santana ever a heel? I can't recall him ever working as a heel.

Was Warrior ever a heel? (except in real life)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nyratk1 posted:

when he started out in texas i believe so

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

nyratk1 posted:

Yeah, he and Sting started out as heels.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

apsouthern posted:

RVD

Was a heel in ECW for a long while. But 'heel' and 'face' didn't mean all that much in ECW.

He turned on Dreamer, joined Jerry The King Lawler and started calling himself Mr. Monday Night. This was because he started appearing on WWF in 1997 while under contract with ECW, it was part of an angle where RVD started saying he was too good for ECW.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Can't ever recall Bruno Sammartino or Pedro Morales being heels.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Can't ever recall Bruno Sammartino or Pedro Morales being heels.

Bruno is a heel in Vince's heart.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Do you guys think the WWE might ever consider doing non-canonical, low-key shows to compete with Indy talent or to spread appeal overseas? It seems they're forever struggling to find places for some of their low and mid card talent. I can't imagine they couldn't turn a profit producing a more indy-style (ie more athletics, less talking), lower budget show under a different brand name. You know, so long as it wasn't HEY KIDS ITS THE NEW WWE INDY - just make their own little indy organisation and not ever talk about it on TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Strange posted:

Do you guys think the WWE might ever consider doing non-canonical, low-key shows to compete with Indy talent or to spread appeal overseas? It seems they're forever struggling to find places for some of their low and mid card talent. I can't imagine they couldn't turn a profit producing a more indy-style (ie more athletics, less talking), lower budget show under a different brand name. You know, so long as it wasn't HEY KIDS ITS THE NEW WWE INDY - just make their own little indy organisation and not ever talk about it on TV.

Honestly I think that with FCW operating as a feeder into ECW operating at a television level itself as a feeder to Smackdown and RAW (and with Superstars thrown into the mix as a kind of exhibition show) they're really at straining point already, and adding anything else into the mix would only have a detrimental effect.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Captain Strange posted:

Hell, just make FCW mobile.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Isn't that just a slightly different way of doing developmental?

They talked awhile back about splitting the brand extension even further into circuits that would run different markets, something like two for the US and Canada (at one point even considering breaking North America into regions), one for Mexico and other Latin America countries, one for Europe, one for Asia. Almost like the old school territorial system where you'd rotate guys around to keep them fresh and build local angles. But it didn't go anywhere.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The answer to dealing with low and midcard talent is not to make a smaller fed where they're main eventers. There would also be the constant awareness that no big names would be appearing.

I dunno, I just don't think it fits WWE's business style at all, there aren't enough beneifts for them to sink cash into it.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It basically sounds like Sunday Night Heat/Velocity.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

apsouthern posted:

In the late 70s, before he was the Million Dollar Man, he wrestled in the WWF in 1979. His highlights in that run were being North American champion, losing the title to Pat Patterson, and jobbing to The Incredible Hulk Hogan.

Captain Strange posted:

Do you guys think the WWE might ever consider doing non-canonical, low-key shows to compete with Indy talent or to spread appeal overseas? It seems they're forever struggling to find places for some of their low and mid card talent.

No, and the biggest issue there is that WWE doesn't think they're struggling to find places. They think having everyone in Florida is a good idea. The overseas promotion was considered for a while, to the point where I think they announced plans to have indies in Mexico, the UK, and Japan. It was expensive, though. As for competing with indy talent... Why bother? Indies aren't a threat and are currently the only place for talent to learn outside of FCW.

[quote[
I can't imagine they couldn't turn a profit producing a more indy-style (ie more athletics, less talking), lower budget show under a different brand name.
[/quote]

Uh, ECW was proof they couldn't. Although the biggest problem was Vince kind of wanted it to fail, it didn't bring in profits that justified running it that way.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
This might not be worth asking, but does anyone remember the Youtube poster, Billzerosion? He would post music videos of Japanese pro wrestling daily before he got banned a couple times. There was also RobViper13, who did the same thing with Lucha Libre. Did they move to another video site or just disappear?

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
Robviper's is still up and has tons of great lucha videos.

Champ Bay Leaf
Mar 12, 2004

by Fistgrrl

nyratk1 posted:

I once found an old heel Warrior promo (as the Dingo Warrior) on YouTube where he talks about making Rick Rude eat his own puke.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002

Acute Hepatitis posted:

Robviper's is still up and has tons of great lucha videos.

I spent an entire hour looking for them yesterday, couldn't find either of them, then found them both in the past 5 minutes. Here's Billzerosion's profile if anyone cares: http://www.youtube.com/user/billzeroism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
I was reading Big Show's entry in Kendo Nagasaki's Grapple Manual recently, and he mentions that when "The Giant" was introduced in WCW he has supposed to be Andre the Giant's son out for revenge. I'd never heard this before - is it true? And if so, how long did it last before it was dropped?