Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Question: Is the version of In the Realm of the Senses on the Blu-Ray the original uncut version or is it the "Producer's Cut" that has a roughly five minutes of footage missing?

Also, stop looking at me like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'd really like to see Criterion start to branch out into niche genres instead of offering up an exhaustive collection of canonical directors' oeuvres.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Mike_V posted:

I'd really like to see Criterion start to branch out into niche genres instead of offering up an exhaustive collection of canonical directors' oeuvres.

After reading NE's post in What Movie Did You Last Watch? I was just thinking that The Street Fighter would be a great title for Criterion. On the one hand, they are probably the only DVD company that could get away with charging as much as they would have to in order to pay for the restoration. On the other, they don't have to pay for the rights, (and can secure the rights of their particular transfer,) so it wouldn't be too expensive either.

And just as to pre-empt people who might counter your post, I don't think the token sci-fi/action/horror movies count as "branching out", especially since most of those are early spine numbers (and some are out of print).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

And just as to pre-empt people who might counter your post, I don't think the token sci-fi/action/horror movies count as "branching out", especially since most of those are early spine numbers (and some are out of print).

I still think that Criterion has a pretty good mix of stuff, but you do have a point. I'd really like to see Criterion release more wild and interesting stuff like Robinson Crusoe on Mars and Equinox. Also, how many genuine action flicks are there still left in the Criterion? Outside of the Michael Bay stuff, I can't think of much really.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Macrame_God posted:

I still think that Criterion has a pretty good mix of stuff, but you do have a point. I'd really like to see Criterion release more wild and interesting stuff like Robinson Crusoe on Mars and Equinox. Also, how many genuine action flicks are there still left in the Criterion? Outside of the Michael Bay stuff, I can't think of much really.

They had Robocop and Hard Boiled and The Killer.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Cacator posted:

They had Robocop and Hard Boiled and The Killer.

Yeah...had.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Macrame_God posted:

Question: Is the version of In the Realm of the Senses on the Blu-Ray the original uncut version or is it the "Producer's Cut" that has a roughly five minutes of footage missing?

Also, stop looking at me like that.

I'm pretty sure it is the original uncut version.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion is screening a number of films at the "ATP" (All Tomorrow's Parties) event in New York. Among them are Hunger (Steve McQueen), House (Hausu), Mystery Train and Paris, Texas. All of these except Hunger have been rumored to enter the collection, but this would appear to be additional confirmation.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion is screening a number of films at the "ATP" (All Tomorrow's Parties) event in New York. Among them are Hunger (Steve McQueen), House (Hausu), Mystery Train and Paris, Texas. All of these except Hunger have been rumored to enter the collection, but this would appear to be additional confirmation.

Keeping in mind, of course, that last year they screened 1991: The Year Punk Broke and then did not release it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

FitFortDanga posted:

:sigh: The one film on the list I would most want to get a Criterion release is the one that doesn't have any rumors.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I'm just glad someone is bringing Hunger to America. I've been dying to see it.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Keeping in mind, of course, that last year they screened 1991: The Year Punk Broke and then did not release it.

Just because they didn't release it doesn't mean that they won't. At ATP I watched their hi-def transfers of a few movies that aren't on the current Blu-Ray schedule.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

chime_on posted:

Just because they didn't release it doesn't mean that they won't. At ATP I watched their hi-def transfers of a few movies that aren't on the current Blu-Ray schedule.

Admittedly 1991 may be a special case because of potentially prohibitively expensive music rights, but Dave Markey has basically indicated that, for the moment, it is not under consideration for a Criterion release.

I would be very, very happy to be wrong though!

e: typo

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 21, 2009

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

The Lucas posted:

I'm just glad someone is bringing Hunger to America. I've been dying to see it.

Hunger has been to America. It came to my mid-sized college town several months ago.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Mike_V posted:

Hunger has been to America. It came to my mid-sized college town several months ago.

On DVD. :)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got Playtime today... I'm watching the whole film tomorrow, but from a little skimming, this looks fantastic. Still not the big screen experience Tati intended, but it's like looking into a window.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Got Playtime today... I'm watching the whole film tomorrow, but from a little skimming, this looks fantastic. Still not the big screen experience Tati intended, but it's like looking into a window.

I picked this up today as well. I'm watching it projected through a Sony 4k at a local theatre on Wednesday night, I'm super excited. I'm really curious to see how blu-ray holds up on a screen that big.

I skimmed a bit as well and was equally impressed, although I do have to say that I wish they had made the transfer from 65mm elements instead of 35mm though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My Play Time (and Kagemusha) arrived yesterday, gonna dig into it now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zeroordie posted:

I picked this up today as well. I'm watching it projected through a Sony 4k at a local theatre on Wednesday night, I'm super excited. I'm really curious to see how blu-ray holds up on a screen that big.

I skimmed a bit as well and was equally impressed, although I do have to say that I wish they had made the transfer from 65mm elements instead of 35mm though.

At 1080p, it would barely make any difference. That's why WB opted the same for 2001 since a proper 35mm reduction will retain the detail that will show up in a 1080p. It was specially made for transfer anyways.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I was in the mood for watching something fun so I blind bought The Thief of Bagdad and I don’t regret it. I’m shocked that there isn’t more fanfare for this movie in this thread. When it was first announced earlier in this thread it came and went without so much as a peep from anyone. Personally, I love these classic big production movies. I love everything about them. I love how they’re shot. I love how they’re scored. I love the sets. I love the costumes. I love the primitive visual effects. I especially love the vivid Technicolor which makes everything look like they’ve been colored in with crayons. It’s a delightful adventure picture. Also, it has a commentary track with both Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese. How could anyone say no?

On an unrelated topic, how come Criterion never issued a rerelease of Michael Bay’s Armageddon. We all know Armageddon pulls in mad bank for them so why not spruce it up with a release, especially now that Blu-Ray is the big thing?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Macrame_God posted:

I was in the mood for watching something fun so I blind bought The Thief of Bagdad and I don’t regret it. I’m shocked that there isn’t more fanfare for this movie in this thread. When it was first announced earlier in this thread it came and went without so much as a peep from anyone. Personally, I love these classic big production movies. I love everything about them. I love how they’re shot. I love how they’re scored. I love the sets. I love the costumes. I love the primitive visual effects. I especially love the vivid Technicolor which makes everything look like they’ve been colored in with crayons. It’s a delightful adventure picture. Also, it has a commentary track with both Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese. How could anyone say no?

It's a fun (and beautiful) film, but I think Conrad Veidt is rather weak in it.

Macrame_God posted:

On an unrelated topic, how come Criterion never issued a rerelease of Michael Bay’s Armageddon. We all know Armageddon pulls in mad bank for them so why not spruce it up with a release, especially now that Blu-Ray is the big thing?

They probably don't have the Blu-Ray rights.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

It's a fun (and beautiful) film, but I think Conrad Veidt is rather weak in it.

I think he does a wonderful job, but it's Sabu who steals the show.

FitFortDanga posted:

They probably don't have the Blu-Ray rights.

Point taken.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
As far as Armageddon goes, they didn't even get the rights to do a re-issue with an anamorphic transfer. I doubt we'll see a BluRay. However they did get a lot of bounce with "normal" or mainstream movie watchers: for a while FX's "DVD on TV" presentations for the movie used a liberal helping of the Criterion's features and deleted scenes (IIRC, anyway).

I'd actually like to see Criterion do a release of Bay's Transformers, but I know that's wishful thinking ;)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/08/exclusive-criterion-collection-unveils.html

The Playlist got a ton of information from Jonathan Turell concerning upcoming releases. Here's the short list:

- Stagecoach is coming in December and is sourced from the UCLA restoration
- The French Lieutenant's Woman coming in 2010 (licensed from MGM)
- Criterion is working on securing video rights for the Chaplin films
- Akira Kurosawa 25-film box set coming in 2010
- Revanche is an early 2010 release
- Von Sternberg silents "probably" in 2010
- No plans for Scorsese's short films
- IFCFilms has a 12-film deal with Criterion (with Che, A Christmas Tale, and Gomorrah included)
- Ang Lee's Ride with the Devil director's cut coming in May 2010

Now that Stagecoach is finally confirmed, I really hope they don't pull a Z and make it DVD-only.

edit: Also, Downhill Racer is Paramount, not Warner.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 26, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

quote:

Antichrist will probably not be one of them

Aww dammit.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Considering that Criterion has previously released (by my count) 21 Kurosawas, this means 4 will be new. If they don't release the new titles separately, or offer the entire box in Blu-Ray, I'm going to be loving annoyed as hell.

The rest of the list is either not really news or doesn't excite me. I liked Revanche but I wouldn't buy it.

BrandoButter
Mar 16, 2008
Does this mean that Ran will be coming back into print? If they come out with a new edition I'm going to feel like a real idiot for picking up the old version a few weeks ago during that sale.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

BrandoButter posted:

Does this mean that Ran will be coming back into print? If they come out with a new edition I'm going to feel like a real idiot for picking up the old version a few weeks ago during that sale.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say no Ran. Which leaves five open slots. That would probably be either:

Sugata Sanshiro
Sugata Sanshiro II
The Most Beautiful
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail
Those Who Make Tomorrow

or...

Dreams
The Quiet Duel
Rhapsody in August
Madadayo
Dersu Uzula

I know most people would prefer the latter, but I'd like it to be those first five. They're the only ones I've never seen, and they'd make a nice Eclipse set. I'm not terribly fond of any of those other five (and I already own them all except Dersu).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Now that Stagecoach is finally confirmed, I really hope they don't pull a Z and make it DVD-only.

It's Stagecoach. They'd be fools to do that.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

It's Stagecoach. They'd be fools to do that.

A better way to look at it would be to say that if they don't put out a Blu-Ray, that's a really strong indicator of how well classic film is doing on Blu-Ray.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beaver on The Human Condition

I can't wait to curl up with this and a jumbo-sized bottle of Prozac

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Egbert Souse posted:

I would be excited for this if they were all Blu-ray, which I don't see happening.

Also, wouldn't a 25-film box set from Criterion cost like $800?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Well, Japan is getting a lot of BluRays soon. All of Criterion's main line releases utilized HD transfers (with Seven Samurai being 2K). Plus, Rashomon now has a 4K restoration available.

ITV is releasing BluRays of The 39 Steps, Henry V, and Hamlet in October, so there's more possible remasters Criterion can release. I recall The 39 Steps not looking "great" at least in comparison to The Lady Vanishes.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

ITV is releasing BluRays of The 39 Steps, Henry V, and Hamlet in October, so there's more possible remasters Criterion can release. I recall The 39 Steps not looking "great" at least in comparison to The Lady Vanishes.

I doubt they'd do that so soon after putting The 39 Steps out as an Essential Arthouse title (Sep 9 or something).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I doubt they'd do that so soon after putting The 39 Steps out as an Essential Arthouse title (Sep 9 or something).

For BluRay. Although, it seems that all their BluRays so far are identical to the DVD editions.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I knew there was a reason I never bought any Kurosawa's. This 25 film set could be a really great deal for someone like me.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

McNutty posted:

I knew there was a reason I never bought any Kurosawa's. This 25 film set could be a really great deal for someone like me.

It's a slap in the face to the Kurosawa fans who have actually purchased the DVDs as they came out if they end up including something that is only in the set. I don't mind that I paid more... I can live with that, but if they include extra movies that they wont' release separate (I doubt it) or something else (like a book) I'd be pissed.

BrandoButter
Mar 16, 2008

zandert33 posted:

It's a slap in the face to the Kurosawa fans who have actually purchased the DVDs as they came out if they end up including something that is only in the set. I don't mind that I paid more... I can live with that, but if they include extra movies that they wont' release separate (I doubt it) or something else (like a book) I'd be pissed.

They might do what they did with the Cassavetes set, releasing some of the individual films at a future date.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

BrandoButter posted:

They might do what they did with the Cassavetes set, releasing some of the individual films at a future date.

That's still a slap in the face. This set is going to cost a pretty penny, nobody but the craziest Kurosawa freak is going to rebuy the movies they already own (especially if they own most of them) just to get a couple of unreleased movies.

Criterion better do right by us, and release any extra films the same time they release the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

A few Criterions I ordered came in the mail today. I can't believe I hadn't noticed yet, but neither of the Micahel Bay Criteirons (Armageddon and The Rock) feature the director's name on the cover. I wonder why. Also, I was pretty amused at the disclaimer on the cover for The Blob as well: The filmmakers disclaim any and all responsibility from heart attacks, fainting, or other damage to the nerves as a result of watching THE BLOB. :lol: