Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They don't sell 9 volts where you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

royalejest posted:

I really dig the BD-2 as well, I bought it for just a bit of rhythm crunch, but I quickly wound up using it as much or more than my Tube Screamer. Mine is currently out getting the Keeley treatment at the moment though. Soon, I will have a little toggle switch. Looking forward to getting it back.

Nice! I have a Keeley'd DS-1. Itching for something a little more bluesy to go with a small tube amp of mine. That modded BD-2 might do the trick.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

There are a surprising number of folks who like the BD-2 pre-Keeley better than post Keeley. It is an extremely well designed circuit and the best stock Boss pedal currently in production in my opinion. Hopefully you'll find it magical and endearing upon its return (investing money in something tends to help that, frankly) but to anyone else considering it, don't think that it has to be modded to be useful like some Boss pedals.

Actually I could go on about that, too, there are a lot of great sounding Boss pedals that sort of get slagged because some high-profile boutiquers have made a practice of tweaking them. I grant that Keeley's shop does great work, it's hard to go wrong with his mods, but don't let your ears get too bogged down in thinking about what the pedal could be to the point that you can't appreciate what it is.

I'm not at all trying to be a wet blanket on you getting your BD-2 modded, by the way, I hope it doesn't come off like that. It's just strange to me that there's a whole secondary industry surrounding Boss products as though Boss is tragically unable to make great stuff, only decent stuff that has to be brought to life by a third party.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I can't compare because I bought my BD-2 with the mod already done, but whatever it sounded like before it certainly does sound awesome now. If it's nearly as good unmodded I might agree that it's the best Boss pedal in production, though my reflex choice is the DD-7.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I'm playing with a couple of bands lately so I think I'll need a pedal tuner. I know the Turbo-Tuner is the latest hot poo poo, but how does it compare to a Pitchblack or Pitchblack+, keeping in mind the Korgs would be cheaper and easier for me to get hold of?

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.

Agreed posted:

There are a surprising number of folks who like the BD-2 pre-Keeley better than post Keeley. It is an extremely well designed circuit and the best stock Boss pedal currently in production in my opinion. Hopefully you'll find it magical and endearing upon its return (investing money in something tends to help that, frankly) but to anyone else considering it, don't think that it has to be modded to be useful like some Boss pedals.

Totally true. BDs are hell of versatile and defniitely some of the Boss line's finer work. Never heard a modded one though.

It is worth saying that the keeley mod DS-1s sound great compared to the unmodded ones. I did one at home and it just totally brought the pedal to life, took it from use as just a volume boost plus a little crunch to a great tool, I think.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

It's just strange to me that there's a whole secondary industry surrounding Boss products as though Boss is tragically unable to make great stuff, only decent stuff that has to be brought to life by a third party.

I find this interesting too, especially after meeting people who place a lot of value in "non-stock" gear. There is definitely a lot of fetishization of modded/booteek/vintage gear (what's the most common mod to BOSS pedals? A super-bright LED to shout LOOK AT ME I'M MODIFIED), I don't think that industry could survive if we didn't have enabling post-your-pedalboard threads on the likes of TGP.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

the wizards beard posted:

I'm playing with a couple of bands lately so I think I'll need a pedal tuner. I know the Turbo-Tuner is the latest hot poo poo, but how does it compare to a Pitchblack or Pitchblack+, keeping in mind the Korgs would be cheaper and easier for me to get hold of?

If money and time are your priorities, go with the PB. It's not a bad tuner, just not nearly as good as the Turbo-Tuner.

Speaking of which, my mom is giving me exactly enough money to order one, so I'll probably be doing that today!

EDIT: here are two demos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bY9H7ec6_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW59T5U11-o

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 20, 2009

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I find this interesting too, especially after meeting people who place a lot of value in "non-stock" gear. There is definitely a lot of fetishization of modded/booteek/vintage gear (what's the most common mod to BOSS pedals? A super-bright LED to shout LOOK AT ME I'M MODIFIED), I don't think that industry could survive if we didn't have enabling post-your-pedalboard threads on the likes of TGP.

100% nail-on-the-head. People really like to listen with their eyes when it comes to pedals.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

To be fair tho, on stage those bright blue LEDs are a god-send. Especially if you're playing outside during the day.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Colin Ex Machina posted:

Totally true. BDs are hell of versatile and defniitely some of the Boss line's finer work. Never heard a modded one though.

It is worth saying that the keeley mod DS-1s sound great compared to the unmodded ones. I did one at home and it just totally brought the pedal to life, took it from use as just a volume boost plus a little crunch to a great tool, I think.

The Joe Satriani Satchurator sounds a lot like the Keeley DS-1, which sounds a lot like the original Japanese DS-1 though not identical. I'll give Keeley that his DS-1 mod is well worth the money, as you say it does turn it from a sort of limited little pedal that only really sounds GOOD adding a little crunch into an amp that already sounds awesome, into a pedal which can feasibly be used into a clean channel for your dirty tone.

TWB posted:

Well, I'm as guilty as a lot of TGPers of fetishizing boutique. I enjoy having a more personal relationship with the builder and supporting a domestic business. You can't call "Boss" up on the phone just to shoot the poo poo, not getting around to where you're at on the list for twenty minutes, but any time I call Paul Cochrane it's always a good conversation. And it's also true that small builders are doing some really neat stuff with pedals that the very biggest companies aren't; Boss has gone digital lately with all their new dirt pedals, and that's in my opinion interesting but not as good as analog dirt pedals. Digital dirt screws up on you, nothing you can do to fix it... And frankly while there are some good sounding small-format digital pedals, as a whole they tend to have a lot of the problems that we've mostly gotten over with real modelers, aliasing, etc. just because the components needed to overcome those issues are more expensive than could be easily justified for a small pedal.

I'm rambling... I definitely buy products from big manufacturers. And often I love them. I am particularly interested in the cottage industry of modding big-name pedals as a "value-add" or opportunity cost because it has also had the effect of suppressing prices for non-modified pedals in some parts of the forum world. It's like "Boss pedals? Yeah, they're awesome, once Keeley/Analogman/some guy on the forums gets ahold of them!" But usually they sound pretty damned awesome to begin with. Boss, Digitech, Ibanez, EHX - these guys all have really competent engineers working for them, and they put out well-designed products (honestly even the small-format digital ones are cool and well-designed, just suffering from some technical limitations). Some guy with a soldering iron isn't necessarily the key to tone out of them.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
A buddy of mine was getting rid of this for pretty darn cheap, so I jumped at it:

(the Acoustic Model 405 cabinet)

This thing lets my F-30 SCREAM. I plugged it in this morning and my head still hurts. Shame I wont have much use for it with this guitar amp, as the 1x12 open back combo is a little loud for what I do already. I think this weekend I will try using it with my bass amp, since now I'm using a 4x10 cabinet, and this is a nice 4x12, hopefully it sounds ok and gives me a little more low end. It is supposed to be a multi-purpose cabinet, so I assume it will work...

Whats pretty cool about this cabinet is that I can adjust the output level of the horns up top, and it makes a pretty big difference in the final sound. It was being played in a small room this morning, so who knows what it sounds like played outside or something.

Anyone know anything about these cabinets besides that John Paul Jones used to use Acoustic?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I ordered the Turbo-Tuner just now! It's backordered until August 31st, but it's my already late birthday gift from my mom :3:, so I'm fine. :)

I can't wait.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any idea what a good pedal board power supply is? I know of voodoo labs but I wonder if there are other, as you could say cheaper products that might nearly as good. I have to power about seven pedals if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The turbo tuner looks nice and is fast but that spinning thing is throwing me off. What is that for? I like that pitch black, anyone know how quickly it picks the notes?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 21, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Twlight posted:

Does anyone have any idea what a good pedal board power supply is? I know of voodoo labs but I wonder if there are other, as you could say cheaper products that might nearly as good. I have to power about seven pedals if that makes any difference. Thanks.
I use the Visual Sound 1Spot, and it powers 6 of my pedals. The only ones not on the 1Spot are the ones that need larger volages (my Deluxe Electric Mistress needs 40V :drat: )

Cojawfee posted:

The turbo tuner looks nice and is fast but that spinning thing is throwing me off. What is that for? I like that pitch black, anyone know how quickly it picks the notes?

The spinning ring is a strobe. It rotates in a direction determined by whether your flat or sharp, at a speed determined by HOW flat or sharp you are. It's basically telling you you're wrong and how to rectify the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD_U7YPFqKg

As for the Pitch Black, I couldn't find any youtube demos that show how fast it picks up individual notes, like the demo I posted earlier of the Turbo Tuner vs. the Strobo Stomp. This one seems to show how fast it works for normal usage. It's not a bad tuner, by any means. It was TGPs favorite until the Strobo Stomp came out, and that was the favorite until the Turbo-Tuner came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDSDpoeKLSM

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Awhile back I posted a picture of a bunch of parts from Stew-Mac.

I finally got around to putting some of it to use, the rest will be added after the body sits for 30 days for the paint to cure.

More pictures to come after I start putting it together.
Sneak preview

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

I finally got around to putting some of it to use, the rest will be added after the body sits for 30 days for the paint to cure.

Sneak preview

1. Those inlays are huge.
2. The body reminds me of something like an Epiphone Wilshire, were 60s-era Epiphones an inspiration for this?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The inlays are massive, I didn't originally plan it that way, but I wasn't happy with how they came out first and had to re-drill to fix them...

The body shape is a Telecaster mirrored down the middle, I took a template traced it then flipped it over and traced it on the other side.

This is a complete scratch build, a few months ago it was just a pile of lumber.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Thumposaurus posted:

The inlays are massive, I didn't originally plan it that way, but I wasn't happy with how they came out first and had to re-drill to fix them...

The body shape is a Telecaster mirrored down the middle, I took a template traced it then flipped it over and traced it on the other side.

This is a complete scratch build, a few months ago it was just a pile of lumber.
Sounds like my dream guitar, man...keep us all posted!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Neat idea! Now I want one! Post a pic where the guitar strap isn't covering up the other cutout.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is right after I finished putting the binding on

Another from a different angle, just got done applying the metal flake here. It is blinding in the sun.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Thumposaurus posted:

I've always wanted a guitar shaped exactly like that. I even drew the same thing up ages ago. It looks even better than I thought it would. Excellent work!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot building it.
It is going to have a p-90 in the bridge and a lipstick tube single coil in the neck. It should sound way different than any other guitar I currently own(humbucker equipped shred machines).

I've already started stockpiling parts and pieces for the next one.
Picked up a cheap solid wood flying V body.
I'm going to build a baritone neck for it, not sure what scale exactly yet the body has no bridge holes drilled yet.
I have a large piece of maple to cut a neck blank from but it is slightly not wide enough so I am going to laminate in some bubinga strips and end up with a 5 piece neck.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My new acoustic. It's a Cort 850. Not top of the range by any means, but it sounds great and suits my playing style.

Risky
May 18, 2003

J. Scott posted:

Somebody gave me a free BD-2 a while back but I don't have a Boss adapter or else I'd be rockin' dat. I should probably get one already.

Does anyone know if monoprice has adapters that work with boss pedals for cheap?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The "One Spot" adapters (~$30 at guitar center, retail) work stunningly well, and comes with a 5 or 7 pedal adapter to start, and you can buy 3 and 5 pedal extension cables for only 2 or 3 dollars. I have one and it plugs into my Delta Labs, EHX, MXR, BBE, Boss, Morely and a offbrand tuner pedal with no noise or buzz. Probably the best value per buck in music.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Sneak preview

that would make for a really cool slide guitar

Colin Ex Machina
Oct 16, 2004
I adopted a highway.
Can someone recommend an SD-1 mod? I'm debating whether to do the keeley mod or a Ts-808 mod to the one I have around, although I'm open to doing something else to it too.

I play bass and homemade instruments, and prefer harsher distortions.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Ok, I'm probably not going to buy this but I'm sure as hell going to convince one of my guitarists to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mgcSEuaVdU

It's like a theremin-wah...

Edit:

They also have fuzz and tremolo versions.

Here's the fuzz: http://media1.zvex.com/fuzzprobe.mov

Scarf fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 24, 2009

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Huh, I always wondered what the giant metal plate on those is for. A# Music stocks those and I've never gotten around to trying one.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
A couple questions.

http://www.voicecapo.com/ Is this thing worth buying? Does it work on electric guitars at all?

I also bought the Digitech DL4 some months ago. I really love it, but I do have some major gripes. To get a specific sound, one has to turn the pedal on and turn each knob.

For instance, if you play around with the pedal and find a specific sound you like, you can't just flip the pedal off, then flip it back on to get the same sound. You have to actually flip the pedal on, then move every individual knob to get the same sound. This isn't bad for recording, but makes live performances with the pedal near impossible.

Is this a defect with my pedal or what?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

You should be able to save presets on the DL4. Did you read the manual?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Thumposaurus posted:

Sneak preview

:aaa:

I'm not really partial to metal flake finishes, but it just looks absolutely gorgeous on this guitar. I love the body styling too; I've always been a fan of the evenly sized double cutaway guitars like the Epiphone Wilshire. What wood is it made of, and where did you get the wood?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Body is poplar, I bought it at Lowes, if you dig through it you can fins some nice pieces of wood there, and Home Depot. You just have to not be afraid of having to glue up multiple pieces. The Home Depot near me has this really flamey piece of maple that is about 10-12 feet long, but only 3"-4" wide and 1/2"-3/4" thick I was thinkning about getting it anyways and making a bunch of 5 or 7 piece necks up.
It is a 4 piece body technically two pieces glued for top and back and then those two pieces glued together down the middle.
The neck is cut from a large piece of maple I've had for years it is big enough to make at least 10 more necks out of.
The fingerboard is cocobolo I picked up at a woodcraft store.

I just finished up the finish on the back of the neck today 8 coats of Tru-Oil(gun stock finish) hand rubbed, and steel wooled smoooooth.

Would there be any interest in a separate build thread for this? Either here or over in the DIY section.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Would there be any interest in a separate build thread for this? Either here or over in the DIY section.

Yes

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of buying

in Honeyburst. Thoughts? I was thinking a few pages back about getting a PRS, but I already have an dual humbucker guitar. Should I get the Commanche Tribute, or just go ahead and get a Legacy Tribute?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Legacies and Comanches manage to be very similar and very different at the same time. Comanches can cover a greater range of tones, overlapping about everything a Legacy can do and then some, but for traditional strat stuff, Legacies do it better. If you want a guitar that sounds like a strat, the Legacy should be your pick, but if you want something a little more versatile/unique, grab that Comanche.

Oh, and honeyburst is, in fact, the best color. Good choice.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yes

Alright made a post over in DIY, thought it fit better there.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3190983

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STACK OVERFLOW
Apr 17, 2007

... PWND!
Well, I moved to Tokyo for an internship and had the goal of coming home with an amazing Japanese guitar. Yesterday that goal was met (sorry about the poor photography):

An MIJ all rosewood Telecaster. I am still going :aaa: over it.