Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Overwined posted:

EDIT: He also tried to sink (sorry) Cinema Titanic. Obviously he can't stand seeing anyone from the show making any money without his own thumb in the pie.

That's why I'm glad Mike and company are doing so well.

In conclusion, gently caress Jim Mallon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was nearly in tears from laughing so hard last night. Amazing show. Although the parts at the beginning before much was happening, where we were just watching another audience were a bit creepy.

For the SA shorts, the first one was OK, but a bit stale. Berry Watch was absolutely hilarious, though.

I was at one of the many theaters in the Seattle area playing this (Bella Bottega).

Was there ever a movie that had Tor Johnson and Joe Don Baker in it? That's my dream movie cast mashup now.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Risky posted:

Sup dude, it's the guy who was talking with you and Nicole and the other goons after the showing in Tampa. :)

I vastly underestimated the amount of people that were going to show up. Alot of older people (older MST3K fans?),a nice mix of cute girls and many neckbeards. I did overhear some girl with her bf as they were walking out say they saw alot of SA goons so there was a decent goon showing.
I was there and no one recognized me (weeping). I shouldn't have been surprised by how many people looked like they might have been missing a WoW raid to be there, but I was.

Anyway this is pretty much the only way to watch a Rifftrax, having an audience there really makes it hard to stop laughing. I loved the shorts but could have done without the music, but now if you'll excuse me I have to go check on my berries.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Saw it in Jackson, Michigan with my older brother. Hilarious time had by all, about 2/3rds of the theater was filled, and I'd say that at least 3/4's of that crowd sang with the zombie song. Some favorite moments:

"Ptchew! Ptang! Gah!"
"Your berries are safe!"
"THE GRAIN AND FLOUR EXPO! *EXPLOSION!*"
"Vun, two, three, three Bela Lugosi!"
"I'll get in on the passenger side, like always!"
"Those crafty alien bastards! *ship is on fire*"

It was fantastic. Didn't look like the crowd had more than one or two goons, but I'm certain on two. One was a girl who sounded like Juno, and another was a guy almost exactly in the middle of the theater seating and had a booming laugh that was like "Ho ho ho ho ho ho ho!" Maybe Santa's a goon.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer

Cock Goblin posted:

Sterling Heights' showing was awesome.

I was there as well, and the crowd was packed in.

Other than the guy a couple rows behind me who was dying of SARS or the plague or something, and the rear end in a top hat who thought his commentary throughout the movie was necessary, it was a great experience. They could do 50 more of these, and I'd go to each and every one.

Also, did anyone else have to watch a Gloria Estefan concert before the event started?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

"And the officers hurry to the scene of the crime...and by hurry, I mean pull out carefully and merge with the flow of traffic."

I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout in San Antonio, although this city stayed true to its nature of fatness. I counted about 5 people (including myself and the missus) under 200 lbs. Still, the theater was packed, and I absolutely hope they do this again. And they picked a perfect movie, because when people talk about how awful Transformers 2 was, or even Leprechaun....they clearly haven't seen this movie. This movie was just AWFUL, and reminds people how horrible movie-making can go when in the hands of a man-child like Ed Wood.

Hear that Mike? DO MORE OF THESE!!!!

Quippy McWit
Aug 22, 2006
That's my wife!

CapnBry posted:

I shouldn't have been surprised by how many people looked like they might have been missing a WoW raid to be there, but I was.

Haha, this was my exact thinking when I walked into my theater (which was filling up at 7:00pm). Pretty packed showing. Sorry to the lonely Bronx goons. I had a feeling it'd be more fun elsewhere.

Still can't get to the site to retrieve my swag, though. Just a redirect to the registration page. Trying to be patient. :mad:

Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

I was there as well, and the crowd was packed in.

Other than the guy a couple rows behind me who was dying of SARS or the plague or something, and the rear end in a top hat who thought his commentary throughout the movie was necessary, it was a great experience. They could do 50 more of these, and I'd go to each and every one.

Also, did anyone else have to watch a Gloria Estefan concert before the event started?
It took me a few minutes to realize it was her. I actually enjoyed that was well, love her voice. And am I the only person who liked Belmount as the hostess, I thought she came off sweet.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I don't think there was a high "goon count" at the theater I saw it at. The crowd was pretty great though; lots of applause. The Vampira/Ann Coulter crack got a HUGE response.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Fors Yard posted:

Oh, I didn't see a shot very close to the one on the EP cover, but the resemblance is quite uncanny to me. It makes me wonder if they did get it from Plan 9.

Tor Johnson has a posse

Nice they did the "time for go to bed" callback. They had to do something with Tor's MST3k roots.

And god drat, was there a thunderstorm over half the US at once last night?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Wife and I were at the nerdfest as well, Indianapolis version, in Castleton. Good turnout.

Lowtax's bits KILLED, although he seemed nervous as hell when he was up. What was the bit with him talking on the phone at the end?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Remulak posted:

Wife and I were at the nerdfest as well, Indianapolis version, in Castleton. Good turnout.

Lowtax's bits KILLED, although he seemed nervous as hell when he was up. What was the bit with him talking on the phone at the end?
it's biting social commentary about how people are too attached to their cellphones. (or it could be just a random gag)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

fenix down posted:

it's biting social commentary about how people are too attached to their cellphones. (or it could be just a random gag)
I thought it was that he's so whipped he couldn't stop talking to his wife even on stage.

Maybe that's projection.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I really hope they do another one of these this year. Preferably sometime in between Thanksgiving and Christmas so I can let off some the usual holiday steam by howling at horrible movies.

RE: Goony crowds. It's funny, I think that the forums spend so much time stereotyping goons that the description that has evolved is probably only applicable to a small minority. We're just regular folks, I guess.

That being said, whoever was wearing a yellow fedora at the Nashville theater should be ashamed of themselves. It isn't classy and even if it was, classy people don't wear their hats indoors.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Overwined posted:

RE: Goony crowds. It's funny, I think that the forums spend so much time stereotyping goons that the description that has evolved is probably only applicable to a small minority. We're just regular folks, I guess.
goons grow strong feeding on the tears of other goons.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Overwined posted:

I really hope they do another one of these this year. Preferably sometime in between Thanksgiving and Christmas so I can let off some the usual holiday steam by howling at horrible movies.

Santa Clause Conquers the Martians perhaps? That would be fun.

Dark-V
May 28, 2009

Ysa posted:

I have no idea who Jonathan Coulton is and I'm not sure anyone in the theater with me did either. The people intently singing along on the video got a lot of laughs though.

Jonathan Coulton created the ending song to Valve's game, Portal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxNmeMklFk8

He does some other nerdy songs as well, and used to be a programmer.

Still, I wanted more riffing, less singing. A fun night none the less.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

^^^ Two songs was just about right. He's totally not my thing, but I could stand two songs. Three and I would have started getting angry.

CannedMacabre posted:

That would be loving awesome. They could also do some of that crazy old stop animation stuff that still crops up during Christmas time.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Coulton didn't go over too well at my theater either. His geek folk doesn't really fit in with the zany and sarcastic humor of lowtax and rifftrax.

edit: didn't he do a rifftrax though? did anyone watch that one?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Coulton went alright in my theater (which had about eight people, haha), but everybody laughed at the people singing along. That was just a bit too much.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Crow_Robot posted:

Coulton went alright in my theater (which had about eight people, haha), but everybody laughed at the people singing along. That was just a bit too much.

Yeah and it seemed hammy and staged. It seems like they asked people to lipsync so they could film them for effect. The joke was probably on the lipsyncers, though.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Sitting near the top and looking down at the audience was like browsing through a catalog of terrible hats. Fedoras, porkpies, one poor guy had a beret.

The show was the best time I can remember having in a movie theater, though.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CannedMacabre posted:

It's one of my favorite MST3k episodes to this day, but I'd rather see them tackle movies they haven't done before.

Dark-V posted:

Jonathan Coulton created the ending song to Valve's game, Portal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxNmeMklFk8

He does some other nerdy songs as well, and used to be a programmer.

Still, I wanted more riffing, less singing. A fun night none the less.
They were trying to give us more content for our money. Even with the intro, songs, Lowtax commercials, and pre-movie short, the entire thing was right around two hours.

Edit: And seriously, why is everyone trashing the girls who were singing along? Have you never been to a concert? People tend to sing along with musicians they like. It looked like the girls were having a blast, and I got all :3: every time they were on camera.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 21, 2009

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Saw it at the Fort Wayne, Indiana Regal Coldwater Crossing 14. The theater was about 2/3rds full, pretty good mix of ages and gender. Everyone in the theater was laughing their asses off, the live broadcast was a really good format, it felt like you were there in Nashville with them. Other than a few glitches with the feed in the beginning it was smooth sailing throughout. I really hope they do these more often, I have a long list of people that I need to drag to them.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Before the show when they had the movie facts, I saw something like "Keanu Reeves was cast as the star in The Day the Earth Stood Still."

I was thinking, yes he was. I don't get it.

Then I read the title for that card "Movie Mistakes" :)

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Overwined posted:

Yeah and it seemed hammy and staged. It seems like they asked people to lipsync so they could film them for effect. The joke was probably on the lipsyncers, though.

Probably?

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
I took my fiance to this, along with my mom and step-dad (who loved MST3K), and met a friend to. We went to the AMC in Kennesaw, Ga and experienced what seemed to be buffering problems during flying stewardess three times, making several people uneasy that they were going to miss bits of the actual riffing.

By the way, where on the site are we supposed to go to get the free virtual swag?

CautionaryOstrich
Mar 20, 2009
Pillbug
Saw it in the Carbondale, IL theater, it was well over two thirds full. My favorite part was the scene where the wife is getting chased through the cemetery. It made absolutely no sense. Non stop cuts to random events that barely had anything to do with the other events, plus it kept changing from night to day every 30 seconds.

I could have done without the guy behind me that found it necessary to scream at the top of his lungs with laughter at every single joke that was cracked though....I think he drowned out about 25% of the movie.

"Can I eat it with grrravy?!"

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ReverendFaux posted:

I took my fiance to this, along with my mom and step-dad (who loved MST3K), and met a friend to. We went to the AMC in Kennesaw, Ga and experienced what seemed to be buffering problems during flying stewardess three times, making several people uneasy that they were going to miss bits of the actual riffing.

By the way, where on the site are we supposed to go to get the free virtual swag?

http://rifftrax.com/plan9live

You have to register for a Rifftrax account if you don't already have one, but it's free and you should be checking their stuff out if you are any kind of MST3k fan.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Overwined posted:

As the EP, Jim Mallon pretty much owns the MST3k franchise. It has been pretty clear that Jim refuses to give dime one to anyone formerly involved in the show from all the DVD re-releases. Also, it is rumored that Joel really left the show because of conflicts with Mallon.

To summarize, gently caress Jim Mallon.

EDIT: He also tried to sink (sorry) Cinema Titanic. Obviously he can't stand seeing anyone from the show making any money without his own thumb in the pie.

To be fair, I think most MST fans seem to hate him more than the actual MST crew does. They did the Comic-Con panel without any drama last year. And saying he refuses to give any money to everyone else is a little unfair I think. He owns the show. That's pretty much just how it works. Plus, Joel has said he gets money for the DVD's.

And it was the Film Crew DVD's that Mallon supposedly tried to stop, not Cinematic Titanic.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The end was really abrupt, it cut to the picture with the virtual swag info, and they did not turn up the lights in the theater so people could find their way out, and everyone just kind of sat there for a few minutes as people gradually got up.

We didn't have any buffering problems, but wasn't the west coast on a 2 hour tape delay from everyone else?

Also, apparently Mike does not have eyebrows anymore.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

Edit: And seriously, why is everyone trashing the girls who were singing along? Have you never been to a concert? People tend to sing along with musicians they like. It looked like the girls were having a blast, and I got all :3: every time they were on camera.

I went with my girlfriend and once she recognized who the singer was, she was singing along, too. I wasn't so much :3: as I was :ughh: but that's my problem, isn't it?

He wasn't that bad. It makes sense that they needed to fill more time, I was really surprised that the whole thing was only 2 hours long. It seemed much longer than that to me.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

I was at the Grand Rapids, MI show. Absolutely packed. We arrived like two minutes late and had to sit on the floor, but I stopped giving a poo poo about that immediately due to almost pisspantsing myself over the SA commercials. Great time overall. Lowtax got a smattering of applause so I wasn't the only goon there for sure.

Quippy McWit
Aug 22, 2006
That's my wife!

Chainclaw posted:

The end was really abrupt, it cut to the picture with the virtual swag info, and they did not turn up the lights in the theater so people could find their way out, and everyone just kind of sat there for a few minutes as people gradually got up.

I was hoping for an encore-type thing to finish off, but yeah. I didn't want it to all be over so quickly.

Chainclaw posted:

Also, apparently Mike does not have eyebrows anymore.

I couldn't help but notice how good Mike still looking after all these years. It's reassuring.

Also laughed at the girls singing along to the music, as did the rest of the theater. We weren't trying to trash, it was just funny. They looked so :allears:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

To the goon collective, a cute girl like the presenter is a bumbling moron and a girl who looks like your average goon is a horrible monstrosity.

Morten Harket
Apr 22, 2005

Saint Harket
I was at the Savannah viewing as well with the long delay. Ultimately I didn't care since they started it over from the beginning and we didn't miss anything AND we got two free passes each. I thought a lot of people there looked pretty goony but there wasn't much reaction when Lowtax came on. Maybe there are just a lot of fat and nerdy MST fans in town. (Or maybe that's just a played out stereotype.) The row in front of us organized a one row wave a few times. I think they were trying to get other rows involved, but as one guy in my row amusingly put it, "Hey, I'm not here to make friends!"

I don't know when I've ever laughed that hard at a movie theater and I'm pretty sure I've converted my husband to the joys of MST/Rifftrax.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

Professor Murda posted:

I was at Pacific Place in Seattle. I think I was the only one who laughed at Fragmaster. Also, lots of people around me were saying "Who's Jonathan Coulton?" My friends and I all sang extra loud just for them.

The Scarlet Hot Dog posted:

Seattle, WA AMC 11 showing went really well. Really full house and a good crowd. Couldn't stop laughing at that effeminate alien leader and the neverending Tor jokes. Grain expo and Berry watch were hilarious. A bit too much musical stuff I think, but the movie and Flight Stewardess short were hilarious.

Felt like there were a lot of goons at this showing. The music part was all right, but I enjoyed the "sponsors". I hope neither of you were that guy near the back who laughed like a braying donkey :v:

Nausicaa
Jun 2, 2005

NEED GAMS BADLY

Quippy McWit posted:

I was hoping for an encore-type thing to finish off, but yeah. I didn't want it to all be over so quickly.

I couldn't help but notice how good Mike still looking after all these years. It's reassuring.

That blew me away, too. It's been, what, ten years since MST3K ended and he HASN'T AGED! Mike looks pretty drat buff for someone who describes himself as a typical pasty midwesterner.
Living in CA must just work for him.

So how different was this Riff from the 3-Riffers Plan 9 DVD they've already released?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
It was pretty rainy and stormy in Columbia, SC last night, so the feed cut out and dropped to some kind of satellite receiver screen 3 separate times. Each outage lasted between 5-8 minutes, I'd say. The first time it dropped was pretty much right as Lowtax was about to open his mouth, and then it came back halfway through Coulton's first song. The other 2 times were during Plan 9. It sucks, but it's not like there's anything that could be done about it.

I'm excited to know there's a DVD release, since I missed the first Lowtax bit entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!
I was at one in North Dallas, we had three quick cut-outs near the start but once those were out of the way it was flawless. I haven't laughed so much in ages. A brilliant night from start to finish :)

• Locked thread