Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Too Fresh posted:

Latest update is fantastic, http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-wondrous-items.php

A steam train? A cola machine? Did people actually use these in their games!!

I had this book. I remember there being a few cool things in it - mostly clockwork-esque monsters of some sort - and the rest of it was totally retarded, unusable crap that I'm glad is now being lampooned.

What's funny though is that looking back on it now, The Book of Wondrous Inventions set the tone for the much more enjoyable Spelljammer setting.

Meanwhile, FATAL is so notorious that I think it would be great to give it the WTF treatment. Also, Talislanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The Book of Wondrous Inventions really was the best update in a while. Though I'm surprised you didn't mention that Black Puddings dissolve metal with their acid, thereby rendering the dishwasher incapable of washing silverware.

I know that 1st edition was pretty bad, but are you guys ever going to make fun of 3.5 of 4e? There's still plenty of hilarious monsters, like said black pudding, which leaves you naked after a successful slam attack.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

I know that 1st edition was pretty bad, but are you guys ever going to make fun of 3.5 of 4e? There's still plenty of hilarious monsters, like said black pudding, which leaves you naked after a successful slam attack.

Wait, seriously? The closest I ever got to playing D&D are Black Isle games - but aren't people, y'know, usually clad in priceless magic whoosits painstakingly liberated from the bowels of various dungeons?

All I can say is, there must be a huge, huge difference between the paper & pen RPG people, and the on-line RPG people, because I've seen how crazy the On-line RPG people get about their gear. Someone'd probably get stabbed over that in person. Possibly with a "Dragon Fire" limited-edition fantasy knife.

Edit: I mean, I get that D&D has plenty of risks of permanent death - but I've actually heard of Black Puddings, so they're probably not even that uncommon.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 30, 2009

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
From the d20srd

Black Puddings posted:

Acid (Ex)

The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed on DC 21 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a black pudding also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 21 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

The pudding’s acidic touch deals 21 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

The Babau, a type of demon, has something even worse. You can avoid getting your poo poo wrecked by a black pudding by not getting hit or keeping your distance (they are pretty slow). The babau destroys your stuff when YOU hit IT.

Babau posted:

Protective Slime (Su)

A slimy red jelly coats the babau’s skin. Any weapon that touches it takes 1d8 points of acid damage from the corrosive goo, and the weapon’s hardness does not reduce this damage. A magic weapon may attempt a DC 18 Reflex save to avoid taking this damage. A creature who strikes the babau with an unarmed attack, unarmed strike, touch spell, or natural weapon takes this damage as well but can negate the damage with a DC 18 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 31, 2009

Mister Burke
Jan 29, 2009

by Ozma
Dark Sun owned, so do did this article. Noice jorb.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I just realized something about early D&D. It's totally loving ridiculous. If someone today come up with a goddamn magic dishwasher that A) looks exactly like a real dishwasher and B) operates via -albeit magical- manual labor, they'd probably have to publish their own game. But in early D&D, they'll take any flavor text they can get. The long and short of it is, I suppose, that had a particular zeitgeist come into being a fair bit sooner, those crazy-rear end anime maid games would be part of TSR canon.

But if there're three skeletons, why do they need four buckets?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
One for colors, one for whites, one for delicate fabrics, and one to rinse!

People Have Died
Aug 30, 2003

Never played D&D outside of Bioware games, but this is easily my favorite front page article. Best of all, there seems to be an endless supply of these wonderful supplemental books.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
These articles get better every time. I hope you never run out of material. :)

a dog
Mar 10, 2007

Futuristic Farts posted:

These articles get better every time. I hope you never run out of material. :)

Considering how many source books have been made, they won't any time soon.

Also yeah, this and Fashion Swat are my favorite articles.
The two-man team format works really well.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I need this book.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Hey Zack & Co., looks like there's a typo in the title of the latest installment.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/rifts-japan.php

"Rifts Wold Book"? Missing an r there? Just thought I should point that out. Hilarious as always!

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Haha, thanks, blame me for that one.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Is this where the contest is going to be posted? I am determined to win a free book.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Discospawn posted:

Is this where the contest is going to be posted? I am determined to win a free book.

It will be posted in GBS.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Great article again, guys!

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3182883

Clucking Bell
Oct 20, 2008
I was really hoping to see the beartillary robot in this article. I think it was supposed to be a bear. I haven't seen it in years, and it's all I remember of the book. There's enough crap in Rifts that you could split off and have a WTF Rifts and WTF D&D if you wanted. I don't know if you're masochistic enough to do it, but it's an option. Just sayin'.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Having recently been laid off from work, etc. I moved back into my mother's house and found the old box of my Rifts books. I've been reading through them, and they just piss me off more and more. That remark about "in Rifts, there is no limit to mediocrity" was right on the nose.

Every goddamn page has a total groaner on it. Whether you like lovely magic, poorly designed robots, spelling and grammar errors in mass volume, huge loaves of stuff reprinted from earlier books, hamhanded instructions about how people should play, awful drawings, or incoherent combat systems, Rifts has it for you.

On top of this, I've come to the inescapable conclusion that Kevin Siembieda is a massive rear end in a top hat. Granted, I might just be bitter because he's rich and I'm a total waste of oxygen.

Anyway, I love the Rifts stuff, and it's not like you'll run out of subject matter. Feel free to take a more critical tone.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

My favorite was that dragon. What the hell kind of enemey is a literal walking arsenal with everything from a triple particle cannon to emergency smokebombs that attacks by punching? Hell, it's claws are probably vibroblades, if it didn't open it's hand it could probably kill you that much more effectively.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-warhammer-40k.php

I never did get into 40K. I did invest in another money sink: Magic.

I expect a future installment based on that. I don't play anymore but I did read a little about the latest core set. "Exile" and "the battlefield?" Lame.

Oh, and I enjoyed the article, of course. First one I read in this series and I'll be ready for future updates.

mewlink64
Apr 6, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/wtf-warhammer-40k.php

I never did get into 40K. I did invest in another money sink: Magic.

I expect a future installment based on that. I don't play anymore but I did read a little about the latest core set. "Exile" and "the battlefield?" Lame.

Oh, and I enjoyed the article, of course. First one I read in this series and I'll be ready for future updates.

I don't think a WTF Magic would work too well

Anyways, awesome job on 40k, I luckily have only spent 35 dollars on it just buying very basic Eldar pieces.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
This exchange in particular made me lose it completely

quote:

Zack: "Ha ha, this game is so much fun, I th- hey, your guys aren't in unit coherence."

Steve: What?

Zack: "Your guys, you can't move them like that, the top ones aren't in coherence with the bottom ones. You have to move them in closer."

Zack: "That means my blast template would have covered at least three more of your guys if you were obeying proper coherence. So on last turn they wouldn't have been able to rapid fire on my Berzerkers as they charged into hand-to-hand with your Force Commander."

Steve: I don't know what is going on!

Zack: "So basically more of my guys would have made it to your Force Commander in the assault phase and with the charge bonus I probably would have wiped out your entire retinue plus put at least two wounds on your commander. We need to redo the last turn."
because that sums up every game of 40k I have ever played. It didn't help that my friends would deliberately come up with the most obtuse and far-fetched interpretations of the rules, just so as to provoke a even bigger argument. One time it took us six loving hours just to play out a single turn.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
those toys could not possibly cost 5 million dollars, right?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think the first two pages might've been my favorite.

quote:

Zack: Steve, are you being a dick to me?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The whole article was great, but this one line is the capstone:

quote:

Steve: That sure sounds like a real fun game, Milton Bradley.

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

quote:

Steve: Waking up and your skin is clear and you can see all of your organs and stuff and then you look closer at your stomach and there is a little baby man inside it and he's smiling back at you.

Zack: Steve. What the hell?

Steve: You asked for a 10, I gave you a 10.

Zack: I was going to make some joke about how they stole these from Starcraft, but my heart just isn't in it anymore.

Steve: The little baby man with the smile would be in your heart and you'd be able to see it beating through the clear skin.

I really loved this exchange. Steve's unbridled enthusiasm is infectious.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

maxnmona posted:

nah he's off by a factor of 10 or so

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Please, please do a review of the sourcebook for a game called Wraeththu.

See it's an RPG system based in a world where the next step in human evolution is a boy george-esque androgyne with an acid-shooting sea anenome penis and they capture people and convert them by draining their blood or something in a warehouse and uh uh and then there's a really funny section where the author of the book provides strategies for goading your players into having phone sex with each other.

It might be one of those things that is so out there and bizarre that it's impossible to make fun of, but it's definitely worth looking into.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My favorite was this little bit

quote:

Zack: "Honey, how many points did you spend on business related wargear?"

Steve: That battle force looks pretty stoppable.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Anonymous Robot posted:

goading your players into having phone sex with each other.

C'mon Fred, don't be a little bitch, tell Phil how you feel. Or rather, how you want him to feel...:fap:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

maxnmona posted:

DoctorTristan posted:

One time it took us six loving hours just to play out a single turn.

In figurative money, I'd say absolutely yes.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Please, please do a review of the sourcebook for a game called Wraeththu.

See it's an RPG system based in a world where the next step in human evolution is a boy george-esque androgyne with an acid-shooting sea anenome penis and they capture people and convert them by draining their blood or something in a warehouse and uh uh and then there's a really funny section where the author of the book provides strategies for goading your players into having phone sex with each other.

It might be one of those things that is so out there and bizarre that it's impossible to make fun of, but it's definitely worth looking into.

Zack is really good at being mean, so this would be a walk in the park. It would be a great test of Steve's enthusiasm, though.

Also I'm reminded of a game I've heard about where you have to roleplay teenagers having sex in order to power up super robots and fight alien invaders. Was that a thing?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
its based on my life

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

davidspackage posted:

In figurative money, I'd say absolutely yes.

If, for instance, you could attach a monetary value to dignity.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Also I'm reminded of a game I've heard about where you have to roleplay teenagers having sex in order to power up super robots and fight alien invaders. Was that a thing?

That's called Bliss Stage. And if your lover doesn't put out, you might die! I think most of the power is just based on generally falling in love with someone so the aliens can't drive you insane.

It's geared towards creating horrible dysfunctional relationships, which then get RPed out, and then the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

I file it under "kind of cool, but, um, I could never play this, ever."

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Yeah, that sounds familiar. I'm glad there wasn't more than one game that fit my description.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Just wanted to say that this column is the best.

That part about unit coherence was hilarious and sums up the wargame experience nicely.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 26, 2009

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah. I realized that Warhammer was doing something horrible to me, when I found myself unreasonably irked that my friend's orks weren't in coherence. I decided to stop playing at that point, before I started acting like an aspergy moron.
The unit coherence bit cracked me up more than anything, as a result. Great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
As a nerd I can understand the appeal of Warhammer, but whenever I read about the various races I can't help but think, "God drat this is the most generic poo poo ever." I was really pleased to see it torn apart.

• Locked thread