Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Even though this is really short, it feels too finished to go in the sketches thread (although I'll probably go back and add a bassline)

Peculiar

Maybe I overdid the glitchiness :downs:
Samples are Simon & Garfunkel - A Most Peculiar Man amd The Honeydrippers - Impeach the President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Computer Jones posted:

Even though this is really short, it feels too finished to go in the sketches thread (although I'll probably go back and add a bassline)

Peculiar

Samples are Simon & Garfunkel - A Most Peculiar Man amd The Honeydrippers - Impeach the President.

why hello glitch program! i cant remember the brand but its the pc only with the step sequencer thing. i would cut back on that and go at it by hand, its just so easy to hear the automated chops.

but i like it, and i think it would improve significantly if you fixed some of the amateurness of it.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New track!

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Anyone know a good sample pack for realistic sounding snare drums? I'd especially like to do rolls sometimes and I've got no good samples for that kind of thing.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

oredun posted:

why hello glitch program! i cant remember the brand but its the pc only with the step sequencer thing. i would cut back on that and go at it by hand, its just so easy to hear the automated chops.

but i like it, and i think it would improve significantly if you fixed some of the amateurness of it.

It's not automated/random, I sequenced the whole thing B(
I totally see what you mean, though. Glitch is so easy to overuse.
Thanks for the criticism!

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New track!

I love the bloopy bit at the end!

Computer Jones fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 20, 2009

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Computer Jones posted:

It's not automated/random, I sequenced the whole thing B(
I totally see what you mean, though. Glitch is so easy to overuse.
Thanks for the criticism!

I love the bloopy bit at the end!
Thanks! Here's a better version.

I cleared up the bass a little bit.

I like your track, it's very Aphex Twin.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Now that I think about it, the line "these are/the last days of disco" doesn't really flow very well, like it's off the beat or the emphasis is on the wrong words. I'm not really sure how you would fix that, though.

quote:

Cheers. :)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Computer Jones posted:

Peculiar

I love this tune but Glitch ruins it. And by that I don't mean the glitchiness, I mean the VST effect you used. I wish that horrible VST would go die in a hole.

Ditch Glitch! :downs:

GOAT, CARRY ME
Feb 6, 2005

I don't know my way home.
the funny thing about Glitch is that the guy who made it is a Renoise user which means even he doesn't use the thing. if anybody's even sort of interested in glitchy breakbeat type stuff, you really should just learn to use a tracker.

not that it's a bad song at all! i think it would just be better if the effects were more deliberate.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
I haven't posted a song in ML in goddamn forever, and I've finally stopped making "give no gently caress" breakcore type stuff....

This is the first rock/electro/whateva sketch I've managed to turn in to a full song. I've got about 10,000 more sketches along the same lines that I'll be finishing in the next few weeks (I had to take the vacation hours i racked up in the kitchen I work in, god bless those corporate bastards...) I'm looking for feedback on the composition more than anything, but if anyone wants to comment on the mix, thats pretty ok too...

The second guitar part is just an "RSE" track from Guitar Pro, my MBox is freaking out on me, so I'm stuck with it for the time-being. Everything else was done in Reason and Guitar Rig 3. I'm pretty happy with the track, but I'd rather get some advice/criticism than leave it as is...

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 21, 2009

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Dicky B posted:

I love this tune but Glitch ruins it. And by that I don't mean the glitchiness, I mean the VST effect you used. I wish that horrible VST would go die in a hole.

Ditch Glitch! :downs:

Haha. I know- I don't generally use Glitch, this was just a bit of fun really. Maybe I'll post a version sans Glitch- maybe just some plain resequencing would sound better?

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

No love for hip-hop in this thread? :(

It's a mash up, but I made the drums myself.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I just released an ambient/drone album:

http://www.yfinder.de/driven/index.php/2009/08/21/new_album_pristine (full 320k mp3 download + online player)

Let me know what you think of it!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Tokit posted:

No love for hip-hop in this thread? :(

It's a mash up, but I made the drums myself.

Well, I love hip-hop. This is great :)

Did you pick that acapella for the line "Gamecube Nintendo"? You could always work some Biggie in there for the line "Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis" ;)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Computer Jones posted:

Haha. I know- I don't generally use Glitch, this was just a bit of fun really. Maybe I'll post a version sans Glitch- maybe just some plain resequencing would sound better?
Well I love glitchiness and I think in your song it really fits. It's just that the sounds that vst makes are pretty terrible in general, especially when you compare it to actual IDM/glitch stuff where the rhythms and effects are often very precise and interesting. If you're interested in spending some time manually creating some proper glitchiness then you should go for it because I think you have a good ear for rhythm and composition.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

the funny thing about Glitch is that the guy who made it is a Renoise user which means even he doesn't use the thing. if anybody's even sort of interested in glitchy breakbeat type stuff, you really should just learn to use a tracker.

Speaking of which, does anyone here use Renoise? Is it worth getting?

I make all kinds of insane electronic music, currently using mostly Ableton and a little bit of Reaktor, dunno if it's worth the effort to learn a new program.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Merkin Muffley posted:

and I've finally stopped making "give no gently caress" breakcore type stuff....
!!! yet another one :(

Merkin Muffley posted:

This is the first rock/electro/whateva sketch I've managed to turn in to a full song. I've got about 10,000 more sketches along the same lines that I'll be finishing in the next few weeks (I had to take the vacation hours i racked up in the kitchen I work in, god bless those corporate bastards...) I'm looking for feedback on the composition more than anything, but if anyone wants to comment on the mix, thats pretty ok too...

The second guitar part is just an "RSE" track from Guitar Pro, my MBox is freaking out on me, so I'm stuck with it for the time-being. Everything else was done in Reason and Guitar Rig 3. I'm pretty happy with the track, but I'd rather get some advice/criticism than leave it as is...
I really really REALLY am not down at all with this music. It sounds like it belongs on a Madden soundtrack and dudes with spiked hair would be in the band. It so completely unexciting.

I wanted to give substantive criticism, because even though I'm a hater, I'm a producer first and can always find something I enjoy about a track. But this was all such a thin, Reasony-preset sounding dull mess.

Maybe post another sketch. This on just totally didn't do it for me in any way. Vocals could only add to how ridiculous is.

BREAKCORE, BRO! FEEL IT INSIDE YOU! REDISCOVER THAT HATE AND DEEP SENSE OF IRONY!

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 21, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

duggimon posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone here use Renoise? Is it worth getting?

If you're a nerd, its TOTALLY worth it. Its the most polished tracker I've ever used. You'll be destroying amens in a matter of minutes.

GOAT, CARRY ME
Feb 6, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

If you're a nerd, its TOTALLY worth it. Its the most polished tracker I've ever used. You'll be destroying amens in a matter of minutes.

the "if you're a nerd" part is key, but yes, I wholly believe it is worth it, but get the demo and play with it. as far as I know, it's practically full-featured. even then, the whole program is only $70 US and it now has full Rewire functionality :fap:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

the "if you're a nerd" part is key, but yes, I wholly believe it is worth it, but get the demo and play with it. as far as I know, it's practically full-featured. even then, the whole program is only $70 US and it now has full Rewire functionality :fap:

Whoa, hold the phone, when did they get Rewire functionality? Renoise rewired into Ableton could make me a very happy boy indeed.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

The demo has no asio and rewire is dicey but I think I'll give it a go. Not really a nerd but good with computery type things so should be able to get somewhere with it.

The wiki article on trackers linked me to this video which is pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGK-EzEa45U

According to the wiki it was uploaded by the man himself.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

duggimon posted:

Not really a nerd but good with computery type things so should be able to get somewhere with it.
Ahah I was using it self deprecatingly, but I'm a computer programmer so I'm pretty comfortable with it. You can even switch between hex/dec numbers in renoise, it really is the easiest one you'll find. Its really about thinking about music in the way a computer programmer would. It's not about the ease of the interface, it's about this abstract, numbers based, bare bones representation of what's going on with all the instruments. That's what I mean to say it's great if you're a nerd. Once you're comfortable with the environment and it all clicks, the interface won't really be as much of an impediment. You'll start to understand the type of stuff trackers are good for, and what they're not good for, and you'll probably use it as a part of your arsenal, utilizing it when appropriate.

I never tried to rewire it in to ableton, i used to mainly just chop up breaks and do drums to bounce and then import to fl. i'll have to try that. i DID get two computers midi slaved to eachother once and me and my bro had a tracker battle thing, that was crazy.

And of COURSE I started using trackers cuz I thought snares was so sick.

GOAT, CARRY ME
Feb 6, 2005

squidgee posted:

Whoa, hold the phone, when did they get Rewire functionality? Renoise rewired into Ableton could make me a very happy boy indeed.

the most recent update! I have about 30gb of reason refills but I loving HATE sequencing in it so I'm just about the drat happiest boy in the world right now.

what the devil would you rewire ableton into renoise for? except for recording audio, I guess? renoise does vst and audio units now.

ManoliIsFat posted:

And of COURSE I started using trackers cuz I thought snares was so sick.

me too but just don't say that on the renoise forums :laugh:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Ive been using trackers since an Amiga in 1995 or so. Renoise is obviously and easily the most polished tracker ever released. That said, these days I just use it to actually compose patterns, then dump their individual tracks to wavs and do final arranging and sequencing in Reaper. Renoise could really use a pattern arranger window like Buzz had.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

ManoliIsFat posted:

!!! yet another one :(
I really really REALLY am not down at all with this music. It sounds like it belongs on a Madden soundtrack and dudes with spiked hair would be in the band. It so completely unexciting.

I wanted to give substantive criticism, because even though I'm a hater, I'm a producer first and can always find something I enjoy about a track. But this was all such a thin, Reasony-preset sounding dull mess.

Maybe post another sketch. This on just totally didn't do it for me in any way. Vocals could only add to how ridiculous is.

BREAKCORE, BRO! FEEL IT INSIDE YOU! REDISCOVER THAT HATE AND DEEP SENSE OF IRONY!

loving ouch, I thought we were cool crabhat.

It's not that I don't like breakcore, I loving love it, and I loving love making it, i just think its time for me to do somethin different. I blame most of it on the fact that I started collaborating with two loving near-gutter punk guys that thought chopping up an amen and doing lines of ketamine off of turntables was the only to to make music. That's probably just me lookin for a scapegoat, but my stuff was getting stale and boring. Sometimes a guy just has wants to play crappy rock songs on his guitar and start cleaning his room and actually worrying about his job and future and stuff, man.

Like I said, this is my first foray into (actually almost finishing) a more "traditional" song, so I'm not expecting to crap gold out of nowhere or anything. I did use some preset for the lead synth (and that CHUGCHUG CHUGCHUG CHUGGACHUGGACHUGGA guitar riff), but I built the bass and drums from the ground up, and I'm pretty fuckin happy with them. Other than "everything," what is so lovely about it? The Madden thing is scarily accurate, but I know there's somethin there that doesn't make you want to get through the press-start screen as fast as you can

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

what the devil would you rewire ableton into renoise for? except for recording audio, I guess? renoise does vst and audio units now.

I was thinking about using Renoise for drums/glitchy parts and Ableton for the more traditional sequencing (chords, etc). It'd mostly just save me bouncing poo poo from Renoise to bring into Ableton.

EDIT: Oh, Ableton INTO Renoise? No no, I want to rewire Renoise into Ableton.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 22, 2009

Jzf_K
Sep 1, 2002
JS

Merkin Muffley posted:

Like I said, this is my first foray into (actually almost finishing) a more "traditional" song, so I'm not expecting to crap gold out of nowhere or anything. I did use some preset for the lead synth (and that CHUGCHUG CHUGCHUG CHUGGACHUGGACHUGGA guitar riff), but I built the bass and drums from the ground up, and I'm pretty fuckin happy with them. Other than "everything," what is so lovely about it? The Madden thing is scarily accurate, but I know there's somethin there that doesn't make you want to get through the press-start screen as fast as you can

I think, for me, it's just the combo of weak reason presets + badly mixed guitar. Sure, the bass and drums might have been built from the ground up, but thats rhythm, and doesn't catch the spotlight or hold any texture. I guess, in today's world, where anyone can crank this kinda of stuff out, it's just pretty boring (not saying I'm any better, just trying to expand on the given feedback).

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/deft

New choon, work in progress, still exploring that 135 bpm 2step.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

GOAT, CARRY ME posted:

what the devil would you rewire ableton into renoise for? except for recording audio, I guess? renoise does vst and audio units now

I was thinking more the other way around with ableton as the host, I reckon I'd be using it for drums mostly and would still want ableton's functionality for the rest

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Merkin Muffley posted:

loving ouch, I thought we were cool crabhat.

It's not that I don't like breakcore, I loving love it, and I loving love making it, i just think its time for me to do somethin different. I blame most of it on the fact that I started collaborating with two loving near-gutter punk guys that thought chopping up an amen and doing lines of ketamine off of turntables was the only to to make music. That's probably just me lookin for a scapegoat, but my stuff was getting stale and boring. Sometimes a guy just has wants to play crappy rock songs on his guitar and start cleaning his room and actually worrying about his job and future and stuff, man.
I'm sorry about being so confrontational. I don't make breakcore anymore either :( I like can't do it. Every time I try, I just shut down FL in disugst like "uhhh, how did I used to have good ideas!?!"

quote:

Its hard to explain. Sometimes with a song, everything that's there is fine together, but it just never clicks. It such a standard, straight up broey song, its just no good. The drums are fine, the bass is fine. But the high synth lead is just so lame, I don't know what to say. Like this is the same reason I hated new Pendulum tracks, they're just such straight up rock songs with kinda roboty sounds going on, its sounds like its from the late 90s. Like there should be a turntabalist in your band. There's nothing really wrong with it, it just comes off as uninspired.

It could just be that its not my type of music and I got emotional problems that cause me to hate way to hard. But for me its just so mainstream broey, its like every dude I hated in Southern California's soundtrack.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IanTheM posted:

New choon, work in progress, still exploring that 135 bpm 2step.

Is your swing ever up even a little in these tracks? Something about them sounds just a LITTLE off. A lot cleaner then they've been in the past, but the hats don't really roll, they're a little stilted. I've got the EXACT same problem is why I notice it so often I think. Like I really think yo need to add one extra hat in there in every second measure. On the 4-and, the last upbeat. I think you'll it'll flow a little smoother.

(This is so hard to communicate over text if I was like in the room with you this would be so easy to explain.)

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

wayfinder posted:

I just released an ambient/drone album:

http://www.yfinder.de/driven/index.php/2009/08/21/new_album_pristine (full 320k mp3 download + online player)

Let me know what you think of it!

You're definitely going off the beaten path, but with tracks like "clouds" and "glacial" you seem to have lost your way. Throughout my journey beginning at "basic camp" to the last track "summit" I've to admit I could not distinguish between any of these tracks at all - while that may well be your intention based on your past work, it does get tiring after 11 songs. Overall I don't think ambient/drone is your genre and you should avoid pristine shits like this in the future - I'm sure you'll find not just any, but your own way to do so. Cheers.

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Wow, what an awesome song! I really like the syncopation of the clicky percussion, and I love love love the concept. Really smooth transition to the electro house side of the track.

Hmm, then I got to the last half of the song. I like the breakdown but the buildup was quite clunky and grating. Maybe that's something you could work on?

Great song anyways. Nice!

GOAT, CARRY ME
Feb 6, 2005

squidgee posted:

I was thinking about using Renoise for drums/glitchy parts and Ableton for the more traditional sequencing (chords, etc). It'd mostly just save me bouncing poo poo from Renoise to bring into Ableton.

EDIT: Oh, Ableton INTO Renoise? No no, I want to rewire Renoise into Ableton.

I think it's actually really easy to sequence chords in Renoise. I'm not arguing with you, I just think it's interesting how people's workflows can differ. It's really easy to humanize programmed chords in renoise, especially since they streamlined the note delay function.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

goatmouth posted:

Wow, what an awesome song! I really like the syncopation of the clicky percussion, and I love love love the concept. Really smooth transition to the electro house side of the track.

Hmm, then I got to the last half of the song. I like the breakdown but the buildup was quite clunky and grating. Maybe that's something you could work on?

Great song anyways. Nice!
Thanks! I've noticed that when I was listening to it in my car. There's a couple other things I need to fix, too. The bass is still messed up.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New track!

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

Is your swing ever up even a little in these tracks? Something about them sounds just a LITTLE off. A lot cleaner then they've been in the past, but the hats don't really roll, they're a little stilted. I've got the EXACT same problem is why I notice it so often I think. Like I really think yo need to add one extra hat in there in every second measure. On the 4-and, the last upbeat. I think you'll it'll flow a little smoother.

(This is so hard to communicate over text if I was like in the room with you this would be so easy to explain.)

Yea I can see what you mean I just keep thinking that I shouldn't steal known garage beats though and try to some up with my own and they come out real odd sometimes. I changed it a bit, toned the hats down.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Exactly dude I completely feel you. I think this mix works really nice, the hats sound tight and the breathy part is sick. Let's collabo

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

Exactly dude I completely feel you. I think this mix works really nice, the hats sound tight and the breathy part is sick. Let's collabo

hit me up on me aim bruv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOAT, CARRY ME
Feb 6, 2005

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New track!

this would be just fine if it wasn't for that awful buzzing sound that makes the whole track sound like you have a ripped speaker..

• Locked thread