Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daspied
Jul 2, 2009

Urban Renewal posted:

I'm not sure he meant an invasion at the 1-2 point, I read it as 1 to 2 stones invading.

Yeah it was meant as 1 to 2 stones invaded behind my wall, sorry for the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
That's it, I quit Go. Can't even do this right.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Peantoo posted:

That's it, I quit Go. Can't even do this right.

You have to quit Go 100 times before you can begin to understand the game.

cashmerelc
Aug 18, 2009
I'm going to give it a shot. Looks fun. The tutorial posted on the first page is very helpful (at least it seems to be, I'll find out soon enough)

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

cashmerelc posted:

I'm going to give it a shot. Looks fun. The tutorial posted on the first page is very helpful (at least it seems to be, I'll find out soon enough)

My god have mercy on your soul for sailing the seas of go :yarr:

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
To the beginners, you literally just have to play a shitload of games, so that you get a sense of what local shapes work, and how the stones tend to "flow" across the board. I didn't believe this myself, and tried applying all sorts of analysis to my early games - as a result, my moves ended up taking forever, and each game was incredibly mentally strenuous. When you're actually experienced, most moves you make because you've seen them before, as the obvious strategic follow-up.

Another important lesson is to learn not to take losses personally. If you're too afraid to lose, you'll never want to play. Even now, I find myself having to gather my courage before starting my first game of the day.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

helopticor posted:

ITGO regulars can attest that I have probably done this

in other news, welcome new players. It is always good to see new blood in the water!

in other news I made a new Go promotional poster. The blank space at the bottom is to insert information about your local club.

Click here for the full 600x1104 image.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Soon I'll surpass that Dr. Hutchinkiss in rank. I just need to suck slightly less.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Urban Renewal posted:

in other news I made a new Go promotional poster. The blank space at the bottom is to insert information about your local club.

Click here for the full 600x1104 image.

Hahahha, genius. I mighty actually use this.

cashmerelc
Aug 18, 2009
lol. That's a great poster. I might actually just print it out and hang it in my apt.

Going to try to hop on tomorrow and play a couple games. See you guys there

Gunuin
Aug 8, 2009

This is a cool thread. My brother had been bugging me to play a game. We played yesterday and we both had a good time.

I have extensive experience with chess, which I know isn't going to help me a whole lot with go. One question though: are there sets of opening moves or at least ideas (as there are in chess)? The opening was a bit strange for us as we both basically made some big double eyes in our own territory then we started attacking.

I just registered on KGS. Looking forward to loosing!

Gunuin
Aug 8, 2009

Well I played a few games online right now and lost all of them.

Someone gave me this website to go to: http://playgo.to/interactive/ Pretty cool website. Definitely for beginners as it starts with very simple puzzles and increases in difficulty. All of the puzzles so far are very simple but informative at the same time. I like this site because it is interactive - keeps my attention better than simply reading.

Seems like it's going to take some time to recognize the patterns that are necessary to actually be competitive.

Gunuin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 21, 2009

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Yes, there are definite patterns that arise in most openings, and some principles to help guide you. Watch some games with more experienced players and you'll see the same sorts of moves for the first ~10 moves or so.

Gunuin
Aug 8, 2009

Cool, thank you!

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
http://senseis.xmp.net/?Joseki
http://senseis.xmp.net/?Fuseki
http://kgs.fuseki.info/

Here's a page about the 4-4 point, which is the most common opening move:
http://www.chaosophy.net/go/hoshi.html

Stolen from that page, the first joseki sequences most people learn I think:

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Urban Renewal posted:

ITGO regulars can attest that I have probably done this

You've got a long way to go nub. OG's in ITGO can attest I have quit more than most of them combined.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Peantoo posted:

You've got a long way to go nub. OG's in ITGO can attest I have quit more than most of them combined.

peantoo is the only person in itgo I don't have on my fan list because I am safe in the knowledge that he will never play a game of go again

and if he does it will be so loving bad I won't want to watch it

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Under 15 posted:

peantoo is the only person in itgo I don't have on my fan list because I am safe in the knowledge that he will never play a game of go again

and if he does it will be so loving bad I won't want to watch it

My new rank says otherwise. Also, how do you know I'm not on some other server playing 10 games a day and have read every book and have studied 1000 pro games? COME ON HELS.

edit: No, you know what, gently caress that poo poo, I'm starting Go again. I'm gonna gently caress you over on the goban son.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Peantoo posted:

edit: No, you know what, gently caress that poo poo, I'm starting Go again. I'm gonna gently caress you over on the goban son.

You've fallen into his trap!

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
xau, what were the ranks of your opponents in your 4 games? Do tournaments do handicaps like kgs?

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
Their self-stated entry ranks were 7k, 8k, 8k, and 9k. The 9k won all his games, so the pairing software thing was treating him as 7-8k by the time I played him.

All the games I played were even; I think all the games in the tournament were. Handicaps were required in the self-paired tournament, but I think they are rare in ordinary tournaments.

There is info about the tournament I played in and the other events at the congress here: http://www.gocongress.org/events.php#diehard

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Alright, you guys pulled me in. Registered on KGS as KyleHyde.

I went through that interactive tutorial but that is my only Go experience, ever.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
Ugh, I feel like I've sort of fallen off the train. It's been like a week and a half since my last game, and I know my reentry will be rough. Maybe tomorrow...

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cybermg posted:

Ugh, I feel like I've sort of fallen off the train. It's been like a week and a half since my last game, and I know my reentry will be rough. Maybe tomorrow...

helopticor posted:

I think I'm already up to 4 or 5. The key is to stop worrying about losing...again.

dirby fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 22, 2009

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
try swearing never to play again every time you lose, it's cathartic

Gunuin
Aug 8, 2009

lol I would be swearing a lot.

Edit: Okay played another game right now got thoroughly owned. This game is frustrating, I have no idea why I'm loosing, what I'm doing wrong, and I swear I will never play again! Until later today or maybe tomorrow.

Gunuin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 22, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Gunuin posted:

lol I would be swearing a lot.

Edit: Okay played another game right now got thoroughly owned. This game is frustrating, I have no idea why I'm loosing, what I'm doing wrong, and I swear I will never play again! Until later today or maybe tomorrow.

Thinking about picking up 1 or 2 of theses, give me some suggestions on which to get first:

http://www.ymimports.com/p-239-lee-chang-hos-life-and-death-set-volumes-1-6.aspx

http://www.ymimports.com/p-92-honinbo-shusaku-complete-game-collection-hardcover.aspx

http://www.kiseido.com/Begin3.htm#K10

http://www.kiseido.com/Game.htm#K01

https://www.yutopian.com/yutop/cat?product=PAH05&category=PAE

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I've heard mixed reviews of the basic joseki book and how it is a little outdated, but the rest of the kiseido books are awesome

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
Ok guys here is a real Go question: Why do I fear playing a game of Go more than walking alone at night through the ghetto? For reference, I am a white boy who doesn't belong in the ghetto.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Peantoo posted:

Ok guys here is a real Go question: Why do I fear playing a game of Go more than walking alone at night through the ghetto? For reference, I am a white boy who doesn't belong in the ghetto.

Because who cares if you die (that is why should anyone care about their own life, we'd all miss you if you died peantoo :ohdear: ) ? Go is the end all be all.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Peantoo posted:

Because if you're killed/mugged in the ghetto, almost no one will look down on you for it. But if you lose a game of Go, or win but play poorly, everyone will look down on you.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

you have lower expectations walking into the ghetto

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I like to lose a bunch of games on purpose so I can just relax and get easy wins back to my current rank. It is perhaps the worst way of improving go skills

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat that Phoenixville club in the article is only a half hour from my work. Unfortunately it's an hour from my house and I'd be leaving Norristown in the middle of rush hour. I might still check it out sometime.

Did they have anyone of dan level strength or would it be a waste of time?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Voting has started for the ITGO MEET UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHICAGO VS NYC

VOTE OR DIE

http://tiny.cc/dieorvote

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Gunuin posted:

I have extensive experience with chess, which I know isn't going to help me a whole lot with go. One question though: are there sets of opening moves or at least ideas (as there are in chess)? The opening was a bit strange for us as we both basically made some big double eyes in our own territory then we started attacking.
I actually found my chess experience very useful. Because a "move" in chess entails a piece disappearing AND reappearing instead of just appearing, and because the movement rules are so much more complex, I find that knowing how to read 4 moves ahead in chess makes it easy to read 10 or 12 moves ahead in Go. It's like how people sometimes exercise by running with weights on their ankles, then when the weights come off they're fast as hell.

The opening isn't as rigid as chess, or at least not like high-level chess, simply because there are so many more options. But there is certainly some theory behind it. Something to keep in mind is that you can roughly (in the endgame, precisely) estimate the point value of a move. In the endgame, if one move secures three points of territory (or takes them from the opponent) and another only two, you certainly want to make the more valuable move, right?

In the opening, a similar concept applies. If you watch good players, they spread their initial stones out. They don't put two stones right next to each other, let alone place all the stones required to make a structure with eyes. It's because if you spend that many moves claiming that small amount of territory, you're being very inefficient. If you play like that against a good opponent, by the time you've finished making those eyes he will control most of the board. He won't control it perfectly, not as strongly as you control your territory. But although you can take a little bit away from him, you won't be able to take nearly as much as required to recover.

Make big moves when you can. Of course if the opponent picks a fight, you may have to respond, and this entails placing stones near existing stones to strengthen them. That's fine. But even then, be wary: sometimes with beginners (like me) these fights go on too long. The way most fights end is you say "I could make another attacking move, but it's not as though I can actually kill his stones (most of the time you can't!). I'm just encroaching on his territory, forcing him to build his wall and make his territory one row smaller than it otherwise would be. That'll take two points away from him, and if things go well I'll have two points of extra territory on the other side. But if I quit it and play in some unrelated area of the board, the stone I place might be the beginning of a structure that wins me 20 points." The first one to recognize that it's time to end the fight will have a significant advantage. (Of course if you're wrong, failing to play an important move in the fight can be bad news!)

Anyway, a lot of this falls under "just play a lot of games." Eventually you'll recognize that two stones which are a few spaces apart can still support each other, because you'll realize what options you have if they're attacked.

edit: gently caress that's long.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 27, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Hahaha I just checked the results this morning. England has one whole vote!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

McNerd posted:

(Of course if you're wrong, failing to play an important move in the fight can be bad news!)

I just lost a game due to this.

I guess I need to practice reading tinies/minies.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

It looks like NYC is winning. Just seeing if anyone has a time they would want to do this. Also if it ends up being in Chicago people are welcome to stay at my house. I think we'd have to book a hostel if we go to NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mez
Jun 23, 2008
oh god KGS is down. My life in ruins