Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I'm so sick of loving planning.

Wedding Shower
Buck and Doe (Most gigantic pain in the rear end ever)
Rehearsal Dinner
Wedding

Sigh. Should have just gone to city hall.

My problem with our Buck and Doe is we don't really know how many people are actually going to come. It's a month away and our Facebook event thing has 23 confirmed guests, we've maybe only sold 15 tickets apart from that and it's all my fiance and I selling tickets. My groomsmen and her bridesmaids haven't sold a single one yet.

Kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
From the "things that no one thinks about" department:

My brother got engaged last November and he and his fiance are getting married on Aug. 29th in Pittsburgh. When they booked their location, a very nice place on the North Side, parking was $8/ car.

Then the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Then the Steelers schedule came out and it so happened that they have a preseason game against the Bills on the day of the wedding.

Parking is now $30/ car.

Fortunately, they're both laid back enough to accept that there were simply going to be some things out of their control. But still, what a kick in the rear end.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

MarshallX posted:

Buck and Doe (Most gigantic pain in the rear end ever)

What is this?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Kiri koli posted:

What is this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_and_doe

Stag and Doe
Jack and Jill
Buck and Doe

Basically a big party about a month before the wedding which is used to raise money. You have games and booze all primarily geared to raise money to pay for the wedding. Tickets are usually 15$ and include a pork roast + other fixings.

A few examples
Guess the Combination - a game with a combination lock and a board with 50-60 possible combinations. 2$ per guess or 3 guesses for 5$ and you write your name next to a possible combination. Before the end of the night the actual combination is revealed and the winner gets a bottle of booze.

Hammer and Nail - Elimination tournament, 5$ entry. You battle another player with a log and a nail, taking turns hitting the nail into the log. First one to get the nail flush with the log moves on. Winner of the tournament wins a bottle of booze.

Guess the empty - 2$ per guess. Bridesmaid walks around with a case of beer with one beer missing. you put your 2$ and guess which which beer on the grid is missing. Whoever guesses right gets the case of beer to take home.

There are tons more, you want to have around 7 games.

The problem is planning everything is a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Wedding favors have been like the hardest thing for me to decide on so far. Gonna get some little candies for everyone cause everyone likes food, but I want to get a more gifty gift too and everything either seems totally lame or really expensive. What do you all think of soaps as wedding favors? I found these the other night and think they're really cute: http://tinyurl.com/pusnoy

I don't know if it's the sort of gift that generally gets left behind or not though. Any other cute and cheap ideas people have are more than appreciated :)

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I'm just being overly paranoid if i'm worried about the jeweler switching out my diamond and mounting a different one, right?

For whatever reason, in my head i'm convinced that since I didn't buy the stone from them, they are going to try to screw me somehow.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Kitten Kisses posted:

Wedding favors have been like the hardest thing for me to decide on so far. Gonna get some little candies for everyone cause everyone likes food, but I want to get a more gifty gift too and everything either seems totally lame or really expensive. What do you all think of soaps as wedding favors? I found these the other night and think they're really cute: http://tinyurl.com/pusnoy

I don't know if it's the sort of gift that generally gets left behind or not though. Any other cute and cheap ideas people have are more than appreciated :)

Those are cute, but I never use soaps like that. They end up sitting in a dish somewhere collecting dust.

If you're already doing candy as a favor, I really don't think you need to add anything else. Just save your money :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Kitten Kisses posted:

We did personalized M&M's, about a dozen per little bag. We then put the little bags and some Dove chocolates in little Chinese takeout boxes, and put a sticker with our names and wedding date on the side of the boxes. Everyone dug our favors. There weren't many, if any, boxes left sitting around; most people either ate the candy there or took it home. Both of our parents still have little personalized M&M bags in their fridges. :3:

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Kitten Kisses posted:

We are doing a single tulip bulb wrapped in a cheese cloth bag with a tag that says our names and the date of our wedding.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!
re: favors, we're doing two small pastries in a gift box -- one from each of our ethnicities. Polvoron (filipino, a shortbread) and schnecken (Jewish/eastern european, like rugelach.)

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

MarshallX posted:

We are doing a single tulip bulb wrapped in a cheese cloth bag with a tag that says our names and the date of our wedding.

I don't think we're going to have the budget for favors, but if we do I'd like to do this, or maybe a small custom packet of wildflower seeds.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
A geek friend of mine gave out a little sack of home-made LED throwies at his wedding. Instead of throwing rice at the bride and groom on their way out, people tossed throwies at the nearby bridge and pretty much anything that a magnet would stick to. A week later I biked through the area and saw a few still lit up.

It was pretty sweet.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

I wasn't going to do favors, but since we're having an outdoor ceremony and it will look cool in the photography, I might do personalized red paper fans. We also have an Italian theme going and I found a site that sells bulk olive oil dispensers, but they weren't personalised.

I just talked to my photographers and I'm the last person to get their old rates. They're going to double after me. I was really excited to hear that because it makes me feel like I'm getting an awesome deal. :D Also, they said that they could bring a green screen in and I could have my guests pose in front of backgrounds they choose, like the pyramids or the moon. I thought that was a really cool way to get posed pictures of everyone without it looking like prom.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

ixo posted:

I don't think we're going to have the budget for favors, but if we do I'd like to do this, or maybe a small custom packet of wildflower seeds.

I think you can buy big jugs of wildflower seeds at somewhere like Sam's or Costco and little organza bags aren't super expensive. Add a personalized tag (making them yourself is time consuming, but saves a lot a lot of money) and voila! you have nice favors that I know I would really enjoy and I'm sure a lot of people would. I totally get not having the budget for it, but I think you could do the wildflower seeds thing for pretty cheap if you shop around some.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
One of the most useful things I've gotten as a favor is glassware. The water and champagne glass that was used for dinner could be taken home. They got them at the dollar store but are decent quality. The color matched her color scheme and I now have a set of four champagne glasses - you better believe I stole some off other tables!

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
Wedding on saturday wedding on saturday wedding on saturday! :aaa:

We're giving out little tins of candy, or candles with some cheesy sayings on them (I assigned favors to FMIL...)

The stomach butterflies are in full swing. I'm probably going to throw up from the excitement!

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

What is everyone planning to do (or did) about make-up? I'm completely incompetent when it comes to make-up, so I definitely need to have it done by someone. I don't think any of my family or friends know that much either. Is regular (decently cheap, everyday stuff) make-up fine if applied right or will it not hold up for pictures? What about that airbrushing stuff? If I ask the person doing my hair to do my make-up as well (her own make-up was nice) is that something I could resonably expect her to do or is it a lot harder to do it on someone else/good for pictures all day?

This is the first time I've wished I was more of a girly girl and knew how to do more than moisturize and apply crappy foundation. My mom keeps worrying that if I hire someone they won't do subtle because they can be accused of not doing much, even if I tell them what I want.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
With makeup, keep in mind that, to look good in your pictures, you probably will need to wear a lot more makeup than you normally would, even for an evening look. There's a reason why performers wear so much makeup on camera; the camera has a tendency to wash out coloring. You may want subtle, but if you go subtle, your pictures will come out looking like you're not wearing any makeup at all.

Your best bet is to hire someone. Typically wedding hair stylists either do makeup themselves or have someone who will do the makeup. I would ask for a test run-- have the proposed wedding makeup done, then have someone snap a few photos of you. You can ask for the makeup to be adjusted depending on what you see in the test photos.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
An illustration of the power of makeup! (hope it helps)

Typical dorkiness:

Did own eyeliner, chapstick, anti-shine serum:

At my cousin's wedding 2 years ago, makeup and hair done professionally:
(this was at the end of Christmas gosh so chubby from 5 days of eating)

There is a great W&W makeup thread. I would say that you would at least need a primer, foundation/concealer with a brush, good waterproof or those tube mascaras. There are a lot of product recommendations and also YouTube videos for application, and you could have a lot of fun with makeup and try out different looks even if you are planning to get a professional for the big day.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006
I didn't do much for makeup. I don't normally wear it, and I knew I would need some help. I ended up going to Sephora, having them show me how to do the makeup (and drawing it out on a sheet). Then I practiced once or twice, but on the day of my nerves were shot. I was freaking out because everyone showed up late, so I had no clue what was going on. My Maid of Honor sat me firmly down on a chair, took my bag of makeup and just started putting it on. I have to say it was the most relaxed I'd been all day. Also the shot my photographer got of that is one of my favorites.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I hired someone to come in and do hair and makeup - a pretty rad female goon! She used airbrushed makeup and that stuff rocked. My complexion looked great and it didn't slide or get shiny at all. I was worried because it was August and I didn't want my face to melt and get all over people when I hugged them. The airbrushing felt a little weird going on, but it was easy to wash off at the end of the day. I highly recommend it if someone has the option.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Okay, so it sounds like hiring someone who has decent stuff and knows what they're doing = good. It's a June wedding too, so I might melt and will look into the airbrushing thing.

I have been reading the W&W make-up thread and I ordered a sample from Everyday Minerals, but I won't have the time or energy to teach myself to be a pro. I saw Sephora at JCPenney the other day...is that the same thing or do they have their own stores?

My problem is I won't be able to do a test run until probably a week before my wedding (planning from out of state thing again) so could I go into a JCPenney and have them do a test run/show me how to do stuff? What do they expect you to buy for that? Then maybe I could ask to see examples from whoever I want to hire and decide on a general look so it's not completely last minute.

jomiel, awesome squat. I love how the cat is all ':wtf: are you sitting on?'.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Going to the department store is fine-- ask in advance if they have those face sheets where they write down all the things they used, and possibly have someone come with you with a camera to take pictures of the products and the final result. Typically department store makeup counters want you to spend $25 or so, so if you plan on getting, say, a concealer and foundation that really matches your skin, you can bring those to be used on your wedding day. Personally, I am the biggest fan of MAC, Shiseido and Chanel makeup, but your mileage may vary. If you have skin that is hard to match, peruse the counters in advance and find who has the most choices. Some girls have had a lot of luck with Prescriptives; apparently they mix their own colors for you if you're hard to match. I've never tried it, so I can't speak to it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Platinum wedding rings - resizeable or not? I don't mind paying a little more for platinum - I like the weight, and like the look - but I'm a skinny guy with fat genes. I don't want to grow sausage fingers over the next ten years and find out I'm stuck with a size 9 ring forever. I think it's just tungsten rings that can't be resized, but damned if I can remember.

Also, there are lots of links to buying engagement rings, but not so many for buying men's wedding rings. BlueNile has a pretty sparse selection - any other recommendations for trusty sites?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 21, 2009

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Platinum wedding bands are easily resized. We don't stock wedding bands, but can custom order anything you like. Shoot me a PM with an MSPaint of what you're looking for and I'll see if I can find it.

Most retailers only carry 3-4 gents wedding bands because everything has to be custom ordered most of the time anyway.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

JohnnyRnR posted:

Platinum wedding bands are easily resized. We don't stock wedding bands, but can custom order anything you like. Shoot me a PM with an MSPaint of what you're looking for and I'll see if I can find it.

Most retailers only carry 3-4 gents wedding bands because everything has to be custom ordered most of the time anyway.

Oooo, we're interested in getting gold bands with engraved name inside. I'll PM you too :)

Nexus-6
Mar 26, 2008

somewhere in a land of cotton candy and pinwheels where the air smells like sugar kisses
Ugh I'm already sick of planning, and I've only been engaged a week! I figured that because we're going to City Hall and then having a basic party afterward (no cake, no dancing, no wedding anything, just us and our friends at a speakeasy bar) that this would be simple.
Well, the venue doesn't answer my emails, and they don't have a phone number. Also, our City Hall's website will only let you book your appointment for your 10 minute ceremony 90 days in advance, but we're getting married in March so that's more than 90 days away!
So if the venue won't write back then I don't know if we need to find a new one, and if I can't book our ceremony until 4 more months from now, I don't know even if I should book the venue now! Plus, we want a photographer for the ceremony, and I know I need to book them sooner rather than later.
Oh, and we're moving at the end of March to another state, so now I've got that hanging over my head, too.

Thanks for letting me rant! :)

Edit: Our venue wrote back, and it's within our price range! We can't get the whole place because apparently that costs $15-20K :wth: but we can swing renting out one of their private rooms for the whole evening!

A peek:

Nexus-6 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 22, 2009

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Nexus-6 posted:

Ugh I'm already sick of planning, and I've only been engaged a week! I figured that because we're going to City Hall and then having a basic party afterward (no cake, no dancing, no wedding anything, just us and our friends at a speakeasy bar) that this would be simple.
Hi Nexus, that's an awesome place. What is it?

I'm splitting up the wedding ceremony and the reception too. Friday wedding, Sunday lunch party at the Brazilian Room in Berkeley's Tilden Park. Planning is a headache and I always get into bad moods. Can't wait for the planning to be over!

Besides only signing up 90 days in advance, I thought the more annoying part was that they only allow 8 people including the couple to be at the ceremony. So basically parents and then 1 sibling each... (No problem for me but my fiance's siblings will have to duke it out)

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Engagement Ring: Finished!

To do:

1) Ask both parents (difficult, as they live in an hour away and the future fiancee and I share a car)
2) Wait until Sept 18th-21st to propose, I already have that somewhat planned out but I need to get some stuff for that too.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Hawkeye, that is a beautiful ring!!!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Very very pretty ring, and I don't like diamonds!

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
Done and back from the honeymoon. I am SO glad that is over, although everyone loved the ceremony and reception. We didn't do dancing, just brought a bunch of board games and played. It was low-key which took a lot of stress off the day. However, if you're like me and have social anxiety, atenolol and ativan is a perfect combination. :toot:

Nexus-6
Mar 26, 2008

somewhere in a land of cotton candy and pinwheels where the air smells like sugar kisses

jomiel posted:

Hi Nexus, that's an awesome place. What is it?

I'm splitting up the wedding ceremony and the reception too. Friday wedding, Sunday lunch party at the Brazilian Room in Berkeley's Tilden Park. Planning is a headache and I always get into bad moods. Can't wait for the planning to be over!

Besides only signing up 90 days in advance, I thought the more annoying part was that they only allow 8 people including the couple to be at the ceremony. So basically parents and then 1 sibling each... (No problem for me but my fiance's siblings will have to duke it out)

It's a speakeasy in the city:ssh:: http://www.bourbonandbranch.com/

I've never been to the Brazilian Room, but I love Tilden Park, what a good idea!

Yeah, the amount of people is a point of contention for us that we haven't exactly addressed, I'll have my 2 parents and a brother, while my fiance's parents are divored and both remarried, for a total of 4 on his side! So that's 7 people, and if we want a photographer there, he has to be one of the 6 guests as well. I have no idea how to tell one or more of our guests that a photographer has to take their place....

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Thanks for all the favor suggestions guys, looking like we'll probably pass on the soaps. The wildflower seeds suggestion is something we'll definitely be looking into and we're thinking about possibly making heart shaped sugar cookies or something that we can decorate up all pretty :)

Crab Legs
Mar 22, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Hi wedding thread. I got engaged on August 3rd and now my future wife and I are in the planning part of it. We have an idea of when, May 2011, but lots of questions:

We live in central PA and are looking for an outdoor venue that we can camp overnight?
Whats the normal amount to spend on food per person?
What's the normal time frame to picking groomsmen/bridesmaids?

I'm sure I have other but these are the big ones now. Thanks.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Crab Legs posted:

Whats the normal amount to spend on food per person?

there's no such thing as a "normal amount". it completely depends on what style of wedding you're going to have. going to have dad BBQ everything for 40 people? cost won't be too bad. going to have a 4 course plated dinner for 200? that'll be a few dollars extra, to put it lightly.

it also depends on what part of the world you're in. I live in the wine country of california, and I've been quoted anywhere from $45 to $175 per person for catering.

if you're going with a caterer, it's going to be one of those price quotes that makes you poo poo your pants, if you're unfamiliar with the business. catering and reception are going to make up probably 40%-60% of your total costs, depending.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Crab Legs posted:

What's the normal time frame to picking groomsmen/bridesmaids?

I'd say the latest you can choose attendants is 6 months before the wedding. We knew who we wanted to be in our wedding before we even engaged, so we asked our friends within the first month of our engagement.

That's one of the questions people will start asking, along with "Have you set a date?!?!?!" So if you can give them an answer it will make them shut up faster.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

GoreJess posted:

That's one of the questions people will start asking, along with "Have you set a date?!?!?!" So if you can give them an answer it will make them shut up faster.

But then they start asking other questions like Where is it?! What are your colors?!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

jomiel posted:

But then they start asking other questions like Where is it?! What are your colors?!

This is very very very true. Is it strange that one of the things I'm most excited about (other than actually getting married) is the end to the "How's the planning going?" questions?

One more month & then I can start preparing for "So when are you having kids?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

GoreJess posted:

One more month & then I can start preparing for "So when are you having kids?"

I've ALREADY gotten that question a couple of times. I just recently had a conversation about this with my fiance, I can't imagine what goes through people's heads to think a question like that is appropriate.