Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009

Professor Bling posted:

So, do you live your life a quarter-mile at a time?

Does your Dodge twist the chassis off the line? Is that why you do rolling starts?

I'm on 20" rims and a invo tire. Not a lot of traction. I can't leave under boost from a standing start. If I had a radial or slick on, possibly a different story.

quote:

I think he's just frustrated that we're not all sucking his dick for having a Viper that's faster than a Camaro.

If my car was a WRX or any other car in that video, his comments would still be just as stupid. The car in the video has nothing to do with the comments. The discussion is about racing itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

SmartPowders posted:

I'm on 20" rims and a invo tire. Not a lot of traction. I can't leave under boost from a standing start. If I had a radial or slick on, possibly a different story.

If my car was a WRX or any other car in that video, his comments would still be just as stupid. The car in the video has nothing to do with the comments. The discussion is about racing itself.

Just suck it up that a) Your video was poo poo (Did you notie this thread is about good videos and was fairly explicit about saying street racign is poo poo, let alone a 3-4 second goosing of the throttle is not awesome in anyway unless you are a Top Fueller) and b) It was on the street and just fodder for a deserved reaming? Get on the track - whichever you prefer, corner or straight - I actually dont care - and post that instead.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

SmartPowders posted:

Are you blind, stupid or a combo of both? I was out of the gas WAY before I got anywhere close to that car. I'm sure you've never passed someone on the interstate before, clown. With the gearing in my car, letting out the gas kills the speed in it. My foot was laying on the brake, but hardly ON the brakes. Glad you know so much about it since you were there. Stick to internet racing, it suits you.

I'm glad you are an expert in these matters. I'll remember to stick to internet racing and just telling stories because I'm not a documented :siren:PRO STREET RACER:siren: like you. I think this will work out the best for all because I also am not very good at writing overly defensive posts about why its OK for me to document driving like a oval office based on the 'you wern't there you don't know me!' line of logic.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

SmartPowders posted:

moronic street racing posts in two separate threads

Get off the loving street, and while you're at it get out of AI.

You guys totally missed the part about how working on his car involved turning up the boost and practicing his rolling starts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

SmartPowders posted:

If I had a radial
Yes. If you had a radial tire. I'm sure that's totally what you meant.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I don't think anything dangerous happened in the video. I've watched it a few times. At no point did I think he was about to hit someone or was out of control of the vehicle.

That said...

JESUS gently caress, MAN. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?!

I have about 514hp in my DSM. It's loving OUT OF CONTROL at highway speeds and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I try and streetrace someone from a roll on a public highway.

What are you out to prove? You knew that Camaro was a joke. You know that anything not sporting a cage and chute is a joke. Do you really need to put yourself and everyone around you at risk to get e-peen boost (a boost that should be pathetically small considering the speed of the other car)? I mean, do you drag race Daihatsu Charades and feel great when you win?

You've already said you blow the tires loose in 2nd gear. You have a goddamn chute sticking off the rear. When you put down 60-160 in 4 seconds you are being a tremendously irresponsible dick by racing (or even DRIVING) like that.

If you're blocking off a road when the only people that can get killed are you and the other guy, fine.

If you're putting down a thousand+ hp on a freeway and some teeny little thing goes wrong (tire pops, you blink, something on the car happens, someone in front of you brakes quickly, etc).... get it? Having good brakes (assuming you've upgraded them... have you?) only takes you so far. You cannot defy the laws of physics. I mean, come on, do you really need the absolute absurdity and astronomical danger of this explained to you?

Slow cars racing on the freeway is a problem. Cars with power like yours racing on the freeway is suicide.

Nait Sirhc fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 23, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

I HATE CARS posted:

Get off the loving street, and while you're at it get out of AI.

You guys totally missed the part about how working on his car involved turning up the boost and practicing his rolling starts.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that was particularly egregious by a standard of most forums posters? It seems to me whats really warranted is hey, street racing is dumb and frowned on here. You'll end up in jail and its dangerous so don't do it and especially don't post about it.

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009

Nait Sirhc posted:

I don't think anything dangerous happened in the video. I've watched it a few times. At no point did I think he was about to hit someone or was out of control of the vehicle.

That said...

JESUS gently caress, MAN. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?!

I have about 514hp in my DSM. It's loving OUT OF CONTROL at highway speeds and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I try and streetrace someone from a roll on a public highway.

What are you out to prove? You knew that Camaro was a joke. You know that anything not sporting a cage and chute is a joke. Do you really need to put yourself and everyone around you at risk to get e-peen boost (a boost that should be pathetically small considering the speed of the other car)? I mean, do you drag race Daihatsu Charades and feel great when you win?

You've already said you blow the tires loose in 2nd gear. You have a goddamn chute sticking off the rear. When you put down 60-160 in 4 seconds you are being a tremendously irresponsible dick by racing like that.

If you're blocking off a road when the only people that can get killed are you and the other guy, fine.

If you're putting down a thousand+ hp on a freeway and some teeny little thing goes wrong (tire pops, you blink, something on the car happens, someone in front of you brakes quickly, etc).... get it?

Slow cars racing on the freeway is a problem. Cars with power like yours racing on the freeway is suicide.

Your 514hp car is out of control due to the size of your tire. What size tire are you on? I'm on 345, which is likely twice as wide are yours. Put my car on a 275 and you're exactly right, it would be suicide. If you've never driven in a car with a tire this wide you can't understand. This same tire can run mid 9's in the 1/4 mile all day long, the tire on your car isn't capable of that. My car weighs 3900lbs, has a racing suspension and is built to transfer power. Yes, the car spun in 2nd gear. The car can spin all day long and stay perfectly straight due to the size of the tire. Do you see it going sideways? No, of course you didn't. I owned a drag strip for 2 years. I've grown up around cars since I was born. Dad is in racing hall of fames, brother and nephews have been world champs. I've raced since I was 13 years old (the early years of jr. dragster racing). I have more seat time in cars than the average person. To you, handling a car at that power level is crazy.

You are far more likely to kill someone than myself because your car isn't setup to handle the power it has. Mine is. I've watched countless 9" tire mustangs go straight into the wall at the track. Too much power, not enough tire. THAT is a dangerous combo. Knowing your car and knowing your limits is what matters. I didn't ask for any of you to "approve" of what I did. You guys have said yourself that it wasn't a race, it wasn't. The point of the race is a buyer in las vegas wants to buy my car and has a high 10 second street car. This race was done to give him an idea of the power level of my car vs his car. This car is on ebay, go look for yourself.

You butt hurt guys just need to calm down. You disagree with what was done, I respect that. Make that point and let it go. Going off on tangents past that isn't going to prove anything.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I read all those words and all i see is:

I AM A BETTER DRIVER THAN YOU MY CAR IS BETTER THAN YOURS AND NOTHING WILL EVER GO WRONG.

I don't give a poo poo if any of that is true or not. None of it is an excuse to go out and 'practice' your rolling starts on the street, especially when you own a loving track.

That's not to mention the fact that you're completely ignoring the ability of the other car/driver here. What happens when they lose control of the car and go into a minivan full of kids? You're just as much at fault.

Keep it on the loving track.

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009

I HATE CARS posted:

I read all those words and all i see is:

I AM A BETTER DRIVER THAN YOU MY CAR IS BETTER THAN YOURS AND NOTHING WILL EVER GO WRONG.

If that's all your took from it, then nothing will ever change your mind. Do you know anything about his DSM car? Do you know anything about racing in general? Have you ever set a car up for drag racing? Just curious.

quote:

I don't give a poo poo if any of that is true or not. None of it is an excuse to go out and 'practice' your rolling starts on the street, especially when you own a loving track.

"Owned" a track for two years, sold it in December. I live in the middle of BFE. The only thing I was practicing was launching in 2nd gear. I was on the interstate with nobody around me, driving in 2nd gear and going from 55-75, that's it. After that, the car isn't going to spin. Just because I can do that acceleration faster than the average car doesn't make it dangerous to everyone around me. I don't go with traffic all around me and do this crap. The only reason him and I did the video at that time is the car in front of me was at least 1300' in front of me. I knew it was going to be a 3-4 second acceleration and best case I'd catch that car in 10 seconds since it's already moving at 70mph. There were no cars in front of it, so no reason for a sudden stop. Could it have happened, of course. Anything CAN happen.

quote:

That's not to mention the fact that you're completely ignoring the ability of the other car/driver here. What happens when they lose control of the car and go into a minivan full of kids? You're just as much at fault.

Keep it on the loving track.

I'm killing people in mini van's now? Did you see how far away the other car was from other cars? It was a high 10 second car who's nitrous wasn't working, which made it a mid 11 second car. MANY production cars are in that range. So now any car that goes from 55-80 (roughly what he did) is now going plowing into mini vans?

If this were a REAL race with a similar car, it would never happen in that same fashion. Typically you're looking at 7am runs on sunday morning or 2-3am runs when nobody is on the road. There are chase cars and front cars. You'd never see me in a race with a similar powered car on an active road. Because you are right, things CAN go wrong. In the case of this video, those things weren't a concern.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:munch:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

RealKyleH posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't think that was particularly egregious by a standard of most forums posters? It seems to me whats really warranted is hey, street racing is dumb and frowned on here. You'll end up in jail and its dangerous so don't do it and especially don't post about it.

Posting about street racing isn't looked upon that well here. Posting a video of yourself street racing is very frowned upon. Defending your posting of that video with the 'up yours faggots' defense strategy is kicking the hornets nest.

SmartPowders posted:

You butt hurt guys just need to calm down. You disagree with what was done, I respect that. Make that point and let it go. Going off on tangents past that isn't going to prove anything.

We commit to corners like we commit to flaming.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 23, 2009

Solstice
Mar 12, 2002

Non-violent for the entire family!
Get off the loving street, windbag. It's a public good constructed for the purpose of transporting families and commercial goods safely from point A to point B. It is not for wiggling your floppy 'roid dick around in your white trash ferrari.

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009
Obviously it's a topic like abortion, not going to change people's minds :D. Like I said, I respect people that frown upon it. I'm just glad i'm a "floppy roid dick" now. I seriously doubt many people would accuse me of steroids.

I'm just glad everyone here has followed every law of the land. I'm glad nobody here has ever texted, talked on the phone, eaten or done anything to distract them while driving. To me, those things are equally as dangerous as what was done here. So we agree street racing is bad. You guys don't like it. Time to move on?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

hey guys how about some youtubes

like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTnhvEtslRM

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

ijustam posted:

hey guys how about some youtubes

like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTnhvEtslRM

The "super toll" and thumbs up really makes this.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Nait Sirhc posted:

Maybe if you took the memorial to your ~DEAD MORMON WIFE~ out you'd be able to control that monster :can:

bung
Dec 14, 2004

More videos please...

camaro 5ta gen a la mexicana

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Pride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYRAPZhSsc8

From now on I'm going to do a little spin kick every time I get into my car. :neckbeard:

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onEsuzbFQ4U

From my old track. Go to the 5:20 part. Small tire mustang running in PTRA. These cars normally spin most of the way down the track, but this is what happens when they hook up.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Hatebreed posted:

Maybe if you took the memorial to your ~DEAD MORMON WIFE~ out you'd be able to control that monster :can:
....dead mormon wife?

What does that even mean?

Nait Sirhc fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 23, 2009

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

SmartPowders posted:

You are far more likely to kill someone than myself because your car isn't setup to handle the power it has. Mine is.
I am far less likely to kill someone than you because I don't go around doing 60-160mph freeway runs. I drive down to the strip, get my runs in, and drive home. I don't have six gears. There are DSMs faster than your Viper that are fully equipped to drive high speeds. Shep traps 195mph. Do you see him going around doing highway races in traffic? Of course not. It is ridiculous, irresponsible, reckless, flat-out stupid, and a tremendous danger to both you and everyone around you.

It doesn't matter how great your setup is. When you are driving that fast with other cars on the road, YOUR CAR IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR IN THE EQUATION.

You have all this seat time and are so great at drag racing and have all these records. Why did you need to do this, in a populated environment on a trafficked road, at that time? Especially since you do all these 2am/7am runs where there's no one on the road/blocked off road.

Admit it was a stupid move and move on. I know you're trying to defend how great of a driver you are and how perfectly set up your car is, but that isn't the point, and that's what you keep missing. RACING IN TRAFFIC WITH A THOUSAND HP+ CAR IS A FOOLHARDY AND OBSCENELY DANGEROUS THING TO DO.

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009
Oh well. If you want to continue to beat a dead horse, by all means, go on. I appreciate the comments Mom.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

SmartPowders posted:

Oh well. If you want to continue to beat a dead horse, by all means, go on. I appreciate the comments Mom.
I think your dad owned the dragstrip. You post like a teenager, you drive like a teenager. You're a teenager.

But your dad's viper is pretty sick bro

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009
Haha, yeah that's it. You got me.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
its all about tire size

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

VikingSkull posted:

its all about tire size

Can someone explain in laymans terms what is going on here? I kind of have an idea, but I'm not sure I would be right.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Nait Sirhc posted:

I know you're trying to defend how great of a driver you are and how perfectly set up your car is, but that isn't the point, and that's what you keep missing. RACING IN TRAFFIC WITH A THOUSAND HP+ CAR IS A FOOLHARDY AND OBSCENELY DANGEROUS THING TO DO.

Ok, I'm gonna run this into the ground. I can tell by the video that it was shot on I-40 westbound, just outside of Burlington NC, in front of the Westpoint-Stevens plant.

I used to drive this stretch of 40 from Raleigh to Winston every other weekend. There is no consistency in speed there at any time. One minute you're clear to do 80+, the next there's a geezer with hair in his ears doing 45 in the left lane, which makes everyone have to slow down, shift lanes, and generally dick around. Note all of the illuminated brake lights in the traffic.

But hey, it's cool if some bro rear ends me because he's billy loving badass. Oh, he's just practicing shifting. Well poo poo, I can't think of any better place to do that than I-40.

I accept a lot of dumb-assery on the roads as just stupid drivers that don't know any better, but when you put peoples lives in danger to assert your masculinity, there is something seriously wrong with you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SmartPowders posted:

Because you are right, things CAN go wrong. In the case of this video, those things weren't a concern.

Oh, good, I'm glad you made sure to clear the surrounding area of deer and called up all the drivers ahead of you and had them assure you that they would absolutely not have a blowout or brake unexpectedly or have a wreck in front of you while you were getting up to 160 mph.

Or did you mean they weren't a concern in that you are just incapable of being concerned for anyone but yourself?

SmartPowders
May 18, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Oh, good, I'm glad you made sure to clear the surrounding area of deer

Given the concrete wall on my left, fence on my right, with a road on the other side of it, I felt deer weren't a big issue haha.

quote:

and called up all the drivers ahead of you and had them assure you that they would absolutely not have a blowout or brake unexpectedly or have a wreck in front of you while you were getting up to 160 mph.

Ever driven after having any alcohol? Just curious angel. Ever changed your radio dial, talked on a phone, sent a text, reached for something in the car or basically EVER taken your eyes off the road for more than a second while close to someone? Just curious as I was WELL under 100 by the time I got near any traffic. I could have easily stopped had something happened. Lets take your scenero of a tire blowout. Do you think the car comes to an instant stop when that happens? I have monster brakes on my car and can stop in half the distance of a similar weight car. I can't believe how out of shape you guys are with a 3 second acceleration haha.

quote:

Or did you mean they weren't a concern in that you are just incapable of being concerned for anyone but yourself?

Fail reading comprehension? His comment was in regard to the OTHER car involved. Since it is a slow car, him going flying into minivans (which is what he suggested might happen) wasn't a concern for me given that he didn't even reach a speed that a "fast" driver would reach in the left lane.

Congrats on quoting something and taking it out of context.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
For those in the "what is more safe and more manly" arguments, let's look at the hierarchy. Doug Hayashi's Pyramid of Speed: http://www.nsxfiles.com/Pyramid_of_speed.htm

(yes, it should go in the other thread, but it is on topic for the freeway racers)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Schatten posted:

For those in the "what is more safe and more manly" arguments, let's look at the hierarchy. Doug Hayashi's Pyramid of Speed: http://www.nsxfiles.com/Pyramid_of_speed.htm

(yes, it should go in the other thread, but it is on topic for the freeway racers)

Awww, they missed out rally drivers :(

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
STREET RACING!
http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/B6T_FESTIVA/?action=view&current=ALLPICTURES327mpg.flv

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

SmartPowders posted:

:rant:

Dude, you're not going to win. Even if you are in the right (I don't really care one way or the other), this is the internet and you're not going to win.

And now a word from our sponsors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci2Qe7oB1XQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SmartPowders posted:

Ever driven after having any alcohol? Just curious angel. Ever changed your radio dial, talked on a phone, sent a text, reached for something in the car or basically EVER taken your eyes off the road for more than a second while close to someone?

Oh, look, a red herring. Every human has at some point done something which, in and of itself, is a stupid thing to do on the road.

That doesn't excuse people who do deliberately do things that any reasonable person knows is excessively dangerous such as people who drink and drive, pass on the shoulder, weave in and out of traffic, or pull poo poo like what you were doing in that video.

The fact that you haven't just shut up, yanked your video, and realized that this might be fine on streetfire, but it's not going to fly in AI is a testament to your stupidity.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

STAY WIT HER JOHNNY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-JokX06wDM

(Yes I know it's been posted before, I'm just giggling my rear end off :D )

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

SmartPowders posted:

Ever driven after having any alcohol?
This is unrelated. alcohol impairs your ability to drive and to make decisions quickly. It slows your reaction times.

SmartPowders posted:

Ever changed your radio dial, talked on a phone, sent a text, reached for something in the car or basically EVER taken your eyes off the road for more than a second while close to someone?
This is also unrelated. I never see anyone driving 100+ on the cell phone because they are either doing 50 in a 65 or they are tailing the car in front of them and when that car moves, they are tailing the next guy. 99.9% of drivers on the cell phone cannot do it competently when they do.

Text is not just taking your eyes off the road, but your hands, fingers too and has been recently pointed out as more dangerous than drinking and driving.

Still not sure of your point in this red herring in your argument.

SmartPowders posted:

Lets take your scenero of a tire blowout. Do you think the car comes to an instant stop when that happens?
Nope it doesn't. But if you are driving an Exploder with Firestones, it will eventually stop after a triple somersault. Still not sure what this has to do with driving over 100 miles an hour on public roads.

SmartPowders posted:

I have monster brakes on my car and can stop in half the distance of a similar weight car.
Monster brakes mean nothing. Sure, they are upgraded, but will they work in time? Are yours actually performing better than stock? I've seen stock setups that are far better than bigger brake setups - even for the street. For the track, different pads, even on those bigger brake kits, will cause you to stop... eventually, unless they are up to temperature. Therefore providing an increase in brake distances while driving down the street.

SmartPowders posted:

I can't believe how out of shape you guys are with a 3 second acceleration haha.
This means something to you, and you should hold it dearly to your heart.

Those of us who look down on the street racers and highway racers have been there and done the stupid things. We've also seen the ill consequences of it by having cars confiscated to horrible accidents that are caused by someone minding their own business as they pull into the street, while on the phone as someone comes up at 130 miles an hour, t-boning them, sending them to the morgue.

We could argue, but it isn't going to change the attitude here until it hits you one day, which it might. You will either see something bad, grow out of it, or learn that other kinds of racing have nothing to do with cubic dollars thrown into the car when oxbrain's Festiva passes you around a track.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Jesus loving christ, some of you guys. You don't call yourselves goons but you pull some of the gooniest poo poo. I bet you're hits at parties. :ughh:

Content: NSFW/Mish?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2wViKSh_M

It's totally relevant to this discussion as well :colbert:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

mcvey posted:

Content: NSFW/Mish?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2wViKSh_M

It's totally relevant to this discussion as well :colbert:

What the gently caress
It's hilarious and retarded at the same time