Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Sixty Seconds to What?

Thanks! Unfortunately, all the versions I can find are some different version. Oh well. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Nutsngum posted:

This just made me realise that Captain Planet spoiled the Fith Element. OF COURSE the fith elemnt has to be heart/love. Duh

Hoooooly poo poo. my mind is blown.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nutsngum posted:

This just made me realise that Captain Planet spoiled the Fith Element. OF COURSE the fith elemnt has to be heart/love. Duh

Now all I can think of is that guy who does Matti on the Nostalgia Critic vids.

Heart! Heart! Heart motherfuckers!

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rake Arms posted:

Maybe the rest of the DNA was used to encode memories and such. Or did they alreay address how she retains her memory?

No, it's a film so they don't cover every potential issue. A book might go into it, but a film just doesn't have time unless it's central to the plot.

BTW - favorite Fifth Element moment: When Bruce Willis asks "Who is in charge?", then immediately blasts that one...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can someone post that diagram that explains all the timelines in Primer?

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

sex offendin Link posted:

Can someone post that diagram that explains all the timelines in Primer?

I think you mean this one, although it should be noted that this interpretation is not necessarily the correct one. This article describes a slightly different (and in my opinion more plausible) set of timelines.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

I'm recently getting into 3-d viewing at home, I'm aware that it's nowhere as good as the effect in theaters; but I'm still engaged by it. So far I've seen Coraline and My Bloody Valentine, I loved the former and was rather disappointed by the latter, both as stand-alone movies and as 3-D experiences.

I have 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' on the way, just for the 3-D aspect as I wouldn't be seeing it otherwise. Is there anything you guys can suggest as far as more 3-D movies go? Also, I'm finding that the Green/Pink glasses seem to give a better effect than the Red/Blue, but that might be because the last time I've used the Red/Blue were for things like comic books when I was 10. Do home movies still use the Red/Blue or is that a thing of the past?

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
I was watching yet another Rocky marathon on Spike, and something came to my mind...

I never quite understood exactly how Paulie squandered Rocky's money, which ended up sending him back to the ghetto. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I don't know if this is the right place for this but I have a question concerning DVD software. I do a lot of my renting from the public library, which means that a lot of the discs are in not-awesome shape. Half the time I start watching a movie only to have it start to crap out and skip on me. I was wondering if there exists some kind of program that can scan through a DVD and see if it will skip without having to watch the whole thing. I've been burned three times in the past two weeks with movies that I watched an hour of only to find the rest nigh unwatchable - I'd like to be able to prevent that in the future.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dancing Potato posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I have a question concerning DVD software. I do a lot of my renting from the public library, which means that a lot of the discs are in not-awesome shape. Half the time I start watching a movie only to have it start to crap out and skip on me. I was wondering if there exists some kind of program that can scan through a DVD and see if it will skip without having to watch the whole thing. I've been burned three times in the past two weeks with movies that I watched an hour of only to find the rest nigh unwatchable - I'd like to be able to prevent that in the future.

Get a SkipDoctor. It'll fix those about 75% of the time.

There is software that will backup a DVD while skipping over unreadable sectors, but I'm not sure if the mods would want me to name it or link to it.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

ClydeUmney posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately, all the versions I can find are some different version. Oh well. Thanks!

Get this CD, its wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Italian-Westerns-Film-Composers/dp/B000002WE1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1250619571&sr=8-2

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

itrorev posted:

I was watching yet another Rocky marathon on Spike, and something came to my mind...

I never quite understood exactly how Paulie squandered Rocky's money, which ended up sending him back to the ghetto. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Rocky, Adrian, and Adrian's brother Paulie return to their lavish Philadelphia home to find out that Paulie had signed 'power of attorney' over to Balboa's accountant, who had, in turn, squandered most of his money on real estate flipping.

Crando
Oct 17, 2003
Independent

Dinner Dream posted:

I have two questions regarding Delicatessen: What were those little cylinders that the two tenants were drilling holes in and checking with a tuning fork? And at the final confrontation scene why does Mademoiselle Plusse give Clapet The Australian? I thought from the dancing scenes among others Mademoiselle Plusse was warming to Louison, was that all fake? What did she have to gain from that if so?

Been a while since I saw it. Cos one of my mates has it (Still hasn't watched it either) But I think The tubes are animal calls, being that the people of the world seem to have to do anything they can to find food. And I figured Mademoiselle Plusse gives Clapet The Australian because she has seen it in action, and so knows that it will return to Clapet and take him out rather than Louison.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just saw Pontypool. It was on an airplane so I missed a bit of exposition. I think I understand the gerneral idea of what was going on but do they ever explain what started the whole mess? Why only English was infected? They say that it's understanding the concept that makes you a zombie, so shouldn't writing or reading be just as bad in any language as hearing it in English. Why do the zombies eventually explode?

And did they make everything worse by broadcasting? Was the main guy infected at the end like the military said or was his "cure" working?

Maybe I'm looking for too many answers.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Rocky, Adrian, and Adrian's brother Paulie return to their lavish Philadelphia home to find out that Paulie had signed 'power of attorney' over to Balboa's accountant, who had, in turn, squandered most of his money on real estate flipping.

How exactly is Paulie able to execute that on Rocky's behalf?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Can someone explain the ending to Videodrome? It was on last night and after watching it again I have no clue what's going on with it. Especially the very ending with Max Renn shooting himself in the head. Was it just a trick from Videodrome? Or is he actually supposed to transform from doing it?

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
"The 4th Floor" with Juliette Lewis. There's a room full of Styrofoam packing, sort of like a quicksand type stall room. I'm trying to remember the name of it. I believe it's a French word...and it's driving me crazy. Also pretty sure it starts with a "P" although not positive about that.

EDIT: I think it's "oubliette".

Coffey fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 23, 2009

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I just saw the "Time Travellers Wife". Apparently the wife keeps having miscarriages because the babies have the genetic time traveling gene, and they " time travel" out of the womb. When Eric Bana time travels he pops up in random places. Does this mean there are a bunch of 3-7 month fetus's appearing out of this air? How long would they survive? What would you do if you were riding the subway and a bloody half formed fetus popped into your lap?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

KillRoy posted:

I just saw the "Time Travellers Wife". Apparently the wife keeps having miscarriages because the babies have the genetic time traveling gene, and they " time travel" out of the womb. When Eric Bana time travels he pops up in random places. Does this mean there are a bunch of 3-7 month fetus's appearing out of this air? How long would they survive? What would you do if you were riding the subway and a bloody half formed fetus popped into your lap?

That's a horrifying thought. But, I can't help but think it would be a much more interesting film.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I skimmed and didn't see this, where did originate the city entrance sign with the Population: <#> and then while the town is being slaughtered, it changes to Population: 0.

Also what about "Welcome To City Name HELL", where did that originate?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Serious Michael posted:

Also what about "Welcome To City Name HELL", where did that originate?

I know they do it in High Plains Drifter, so maybe that.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

muscles like this? posted:

I know they do it in High Plains Drifter, so maybe that.

I read a summary on IMDb, is this movie as loving awesome as it sounds? I love westerns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

KillRoy posted:

I don't know if it happens in the movie, but in the book the author causes a huge problem by having the time traveler visit himself in the past more than once (he has sex with himself at sixteen, the author has an odd idea of how hormones work for young men). Logically speaking, that would mean that each instance of him would be traveling about - therefore there'd be an infinite number of them visiting his wife and also the ending doesn't matter as he can be replaced.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Serious Michael posted:

I read a summary on IMDb, is this movie as loving awesome as it sounds? I love westerns.

It's probably my favorite Clint Eastwood movie ever (as a director, not an actor), so yeah, it's loving awesome. It's cool, 'cause it's just as much a horror movie as it is a western, and is the earliest example I know of in that subgenre.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

ShawnWilkesBooth posted:

he has sex with himself at sixteen

What? Can you elaborate on this a little bit?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
It's not flat out stated, but it talks about how he goes back in time (when he's sixteen to when he's sixteen) and some comment about how they give in to their hormones and then his dad catches them. Dead serious.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

ShawnWilkesBooth posted:

It's not flat out stated, but it talks about how he goes back in time (when he's sixteen to when he's sixteen) and some comment about how they give in to their hormones and then his dad catches them. Dead serious.

That's really bizarre and surely they didn't leave that part in the movie, right?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I haven't seen it, but I doubt it. I found it kind of insulting as a guy - we're not horny enough as teenagers to gently caress another guy if we're straight, even if the other guy is us. The women I was reading it with seemed to not have issue with it.

Oh I forgot, the dude also knows about 9/11 but does nothing to stop it.

Nuke Goes KABOOM fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 24, 2009

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Coffey posted:

"The 4th Floor" with Juliette Lewis. There's a room full of Styrofoam packing, sort of like a quicksand type stall room. I'm trying to remember the name of it. I believe it's a French word...and it's driving me crazy. Also pretty sure it starts with a "P" although not positive about that.

EDIT: I think it's "oubliette".

If i remember correctly, it translates to "place to be forgotten". There was a Poe story about a guy walling his enemy up inside one after getting him drunk.

Cask of Amarillo i think its called.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
The Cask of Amontillado.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't think anyone else had seen the 4th Floor, I discovered it by accident and it's become a kind of cult classic among my family. It's so awful.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

ShawnWilkesBooth posted:

So is that technically masturbation?

Human Tornada posted:

That's really bizarre and surely they didn't leave that part in the movie, right?
They could have, I fell alseep right after he gets shot by his father in law on accident and dies

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dinner Dream posted:

I have two questions regarding Delicatessen: What were those little cylinders that the two tenants were drilling holes in and checking with a tuning fork?

As to what they are making it's this thing, a Cow in a Box an old timey novelty toy. As to why I have no idea really, although my guess is that that's just what they did. It's been their job forever and thus were still doing it even though there can't be a market for such a ridiculous and useless thing in that post-apocalyptic(?) world.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I watched Miracle at St. Anna yesterday and while it was generally an overlong mess, there is one part of this overlong mess that I just did not get: why is John Leguizamo in there at all? What does his character add to the movie? Why is it even necessary to see him at all? I know Spike Lee likes to go off on tangents but this is the first time one of his bizarre parentheses seemed to have absolutely no purpose.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

In Ace Ventura 2, in the projection room scene when they first sit down Ace's giant head shadow blocks the screen. He then looks embarrassed and does a weird motion with his hand in his mouth. I never got what he was doing, is it supposed to be a gun he's firing off into his mouth? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HKS posted:

In Ace Ventura 2, in the projection room scene when they first sit down Ace's giant head shadow blocks the screen. He then looks embarrassed and does a weird motion with his hand in his mouth. I never got what he was doing, is it supposed to be a gun he's firing off into his mouth? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I can't see it being anything else. Even for something like spraying Banaca he's doing the wrong motion (and would know it from Dumb & Dumber).

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
So a friend just told me he saw an awesome trailer that was like a commercial that would be shown in the world of the movie. It was advertising a bomb shelter like it would a vacation. Any ideas?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

HKS posted:

Bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

bows1 posted:

So a friend just told me he saw an awesome trailer that was like a commercial that would be shown in the world of the movie. It was advertising a bomb shelter like it would a vacation. Any ideas?

2012, I think.