Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

Hold the 17mm still while turning the 11mm fitting. The 11mm rotates freely around the hard brake line.

ahh, thanks. I realized I have the wrong end of the UUC line in the pic, confusing things. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Higher consumables costs and greater complexity = $$$$ and PITA when something breaks.

I'm not dissing the M3, but I'm enjoying my £600 E30 touring because (i) it owes me nothing and (ii) if anything breaks, I can figure out what and why. I suspect an '84 944 is similar in both respects, although probably more expensive to keep going.

Is a well-maintained E30 M3 not family friendly enough? Probably not more reliable of course! Lighter and simpler though.

I do recall discussion of exploding S54 engines on bimmerfest back in the day - don't know if that was actually based on anything other than a few people having bad luck though.

PXJ800 posted:

Well, you're no help :colbert:

no sedan version

I want a 2-door.

very stiff ride with stock dampers (aftermarket Konis recommended) and tires

The 944 rides like a bumper car. Anything short of an F1 racer will be smoother.

maintenance-intensive suspension (every ~60k mi or so you'll want to go through it to keep it in tip-top shape, though you could stretch it to 100k mi easily)
I'll maybe put on 5K miles a year so I have no worries about that one.

radiator design is crappy
That's something I had already come across - anything I can do myself without special tools is inconsequential.

every Civic with "Z3 Fenders" and Corvette on the freeway will try to race you
They already do, except I have no chance in hell if I take them up on it, unless there happens to be a really curvy ramp ahead.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm going to continue browsing and scheming on the M3 for now.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
May as well share a stupid move I made that may help out others.

Ive got a 91 318iS with an M42 engine.

I was replacing a ton of hoses under the intake manifold and had the wiring cover off.

I found an unplugged connection under the cover, so I plugged it in.

Once everything was back together, I had a tough time idling sometimes and I would have total loss of power trying to accelerate right after starting the car. Warm start, cold start, it did not matter, sometimes it would happen, sometimes not.

I finally found out that this plug is supposed to be unplugged! It is a provision for cars without catalytic converters. If you have a cat, leave it unplugged, if not, plug it in.

If its plugged in, the car gets CO readings from a "CO pentiometer", and if its unplugged, it uses the the O2 sensor.

So I guess the moral of the story is if its unplugged, check to see what its for before plugging it back in.

Although with a another car of mine, the horn did not work, and then I found a harness under the steering wheel. I plugged that back in, and my horn started working.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My E30 hood is stuck closed! I opened it the other day and now it won't open. I pull on the handle and I can feel the cable moving but it resists when I push it back in. I ended up breaking it because I pulled too much. How can I get my hood open now? :(

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

two_beer_bishes posted:

My E30 hood is stuck closed! I opened it the other day and now it won't open. I pull on the handle and I can feel the cable moving but it resists when I push it back in. I ended up breaking it because I pulled too much. How can I get my hood open now? :(

There should be a hood release you can get at with a screwdriver near the driver's side headlight.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Crustashio posted:

There should be a hood release you can get at with a screwdriver near the driver's side headlight.

I think I see what you're talking about. Do you just jam a screwdriver in there?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

two_beer_bishes posted:

I think I see what you're talking about. Do you just jam a screwdriver in there?

Put it in about the second row down in the little housing that goes from the kidney around the headlight and there's a little hole between two bolts in there and turn it clockwise. I have to do the same thing for my hood since the cable stopped working recently and I'm yet to figure out why it failed.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Baram posted:

Put it in about the second row down in the little housing that goes from the kidney around the headlight and there's a little hole between two bolts in there and turn it clockwise. I have to do the same thing for my hood since the cable stopped working recently and I'm yet to figure out why it failed.

I'll give it a shot after work, thanks!

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Saga posted:

Higher consumables costs and greater complexity = $$$$ and PITA when something breaks.

I'm not dissing the M3, but I'm enjoying my £600 E30 touring because (i) it owes me nothing and (ii) if anything breaks, I can figure out what and why. I suspect an '84 944 is similar in both respects, although probably more expensive to keep going.

Is a well-maintained E30 M3 not family friendly enough? Probably not more reliable of course! Lighter and simpler though.

I do recall discussion of exploding S54 engines on bimmerfest back in the day - don't know if that was actually based on anything other than a few people having bad luck though.

I looked up the "exploding" S54 problem and BMW issued a recall on the 01-02 cars that had something in the motor that failed.

http://www.yoy.com/yoy/auto/m3_failintro.shtml

Other than that I haven't had mine die.

I finally pushed "SPORT" on the car and turned off DSC. I think driving with SPORT mode off it is a tame monster. Pushing that button and the car seemed to absolutely open up and turned it into some kind of freak. I always thought it was a tame vehicle. Not so much - this thing could get me into some serious trouble. :)

The car isn't going to hurt itself if you bounce it off the rev limiter on accident, no? For some reason I was in manual mode on the SMG when I thought it was auto and next thing I know I'm bouncing the needle off the limiter. Probably is totally fine - just paranoid is all. Limiter is there for a reason. I already have one car burning oil because of jacked up valves and rings I don't need another.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 23, 2009

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Can someone with an E30 please confirm the part# on their high beam relay for me? Specifically for an '85 325 but as long it's a 5-prong it should be the same part.

edit: I think it should be 61361388911

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 23, 2009

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Speaking of lights, I finally bought an E36 M3 and it's awesome so far but one of the HID bulbs went out on it.

Do you guys know what size HID bulb I will need for it? The guy who sold it to me put in some "depo" HID w/angel eyes setup but one of the low beam bulbs went out. I swapped the two bulbs, so I know it is the bulb and not the wiring (wow was that a pain, I really wish the wires were longer).

I know it is 6000K, but I don't know what size bulb I need.

I'm going to post some pictures as soon as I get it cleaned up. I drove from Philly to NYC to Washington DC to Atlanta in it, then from Atlanta to NC Mountains and back to Atlanta the past 2 weeks and it is a bit of a mess.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 23, 2009

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VibrioCholera posted:

The car isn't going to hurt itself if you bounce it off the rev limiter on accident, no? For some reason I was in manual mode on the SMG when I thought it was auto and next thing I know I'm bouncing the needle off the limiter. Probably is totally fine - just paranoid is all. Limiter is there for a reason. I already have one car burning oil because of jacked up valves and rings I don't need another.

The point of the limiter is to prevent bad things from happening, so just don't hold it on the limiter for long periods of time and you're fine there. Stock it's often set conservatively anyways, and a modified tune will often raise it a few hundred RPM. Other than people intentionally putting a brick on the gas pedal to kill the car I've never heard of engine death resulting from revving up to the limiter. Accidentally downshifting too far and forcing the engine to rev far over the limiter (a.k.a. the money shift) is the far more common method of RPM-related engine death, and since you have a SMG that should be impossible as the computer is not supposed to let it happen (though I wouldn't be the one to run up to 6000 in third and try to click down to second to see what happens).

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

I watched this guy total his E36 M3 at Summit Point today during a NASA event. He was OK, which was good, because drat did he hit that tire wall hard.

Apparently the car was for sale, too. Poor car. :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
holy poo poo that looks like a hell of an impact. poor car :(

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I hope that doesn't ever happen to mine, that sucks.

Here are pics of my newly purchased E36 M3/4/5. Black on Black with 63,000 miles on it. Freshly cleaned after cruising up and down the eastern US. It has been an awesome car so far. I'm really happy with my choice. I even fit four 28 year old males in the car and they didn't complain much about leg room!

Oh yeah, does anyone know the best place to buy OEM center caps for my contours? One of them is missing a sticker and the others aren't so hot either.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

I didn't have time to clean up the interior today so excuse the dust/dirt.

Click here for the full 750x1000 image.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 24, 2009

JizJizJiz
Apr 18, 2005

BossTweed posted:

Here are pics of my newly purchased E36 M3/4/5.

I've never heard someone use that naming convention. What would you call an automatic coupe? E36 M3/2/A?

vivacthulhu
Sep 29, 2007
Hasta Victoria Ftaghn!
Oh man, I'm about to throw down the biggest order I've ever made on Pelican Parts, but damned if my 318is isn't going to be like new when I'm done with it. Hello new bushings, mounts, gaskets, seals, shocks, springs, and shift kit. Goodbye most of my savings and my free time for the next few weeks.

Also I don't think they made the E36 M3 coupe in an automatic, I'm pretty sure it was just the 4 door M3, for the ultimate poseur machine.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

vivacthulhu posted:

Also I don't think they made the E36 M3 coupe in an automatic, I'm pretty sure it was just the 4 door M3, for the ultimate poseur machine.

They're much more common in the 4-door, but I think you could even get it in the coupe. The ad copy was:

"A stick is no longer needed to stir your soul" :barf:

Edit: RealOEM lets me choose an E36 M3 coupe with a 3/95 production date and an auto. Some months there is no choice, so it appears that they made the autos in batches.

mungtor fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 24, 2009

pyrrhus
Jul 24, 2001
Additional waffling...

The wagon ended up being a smoker's car, as my recent thread in AI indicated. I haven't completely ruled it out, but I'd never be able to get that "BMW smell" back.

I drove the 530i 5-speed yesterday, and I really loved it. It's been very, very well cared for - minor wear on the driver seat, paint in good shape save for a few minor blemishes. It has the sport package and xenons, but it doesn't have the H/K sound system, park distance control, the cold weather package, or auto-on headlamps ... not that any of those really matter anyway. The wagon was loaded and was two years newer with 4k more miles. It's just that it had been smoked in.

I know the utility of the wagon is much better, but I'll have a older 1/2 ton pickup and a Jeep Cherokee for hauling stuff.

So is buying a manual 5-series still a bad idea?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pyrrhus posted:

Not at all -- just harder to resell. Be absolutely positive you're in love with the car--and the manual--before buying it.

Personally, I'd still go for the wagon -- a $100 detail job is a small price to pay, but I've got a hardon for no-compromises cars.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

pyrrhus posted:

I am the former owner of a 530i Sport with the 5-speed and no, it's not a bad idea. It's got 95% of the handling of a 3-series with a little more room (mostly in the trunk). I will say, after owner 2 5-Series and 2 3-Series, that I've figured out that I'm more of a 3-Series person. I feel like the 3-Series wraps perfectly around me, but I felt a little less "snug" in the 5-Series. I also like the perfectly buttoned down feeling of the suspension in the 3-Series, as the 5-Series is a little softer (which is exactly as it should be). Like Sterndotstern said, make sure you love whatever you get and don't be surprised if it's tougher to sell the manual 5.

EDIT: Oh and gently caress buying a smoker's car. You'll never get that smell out completely without replacing the carpets and the headliner. You'll always be greeted with the very faint smell of stale cigarettes whenever you open the door and it will probably drive you nuts. I passed on several smoked-in Certified BMWs at dealerships where you could tell it they had given it their best detail job. I opened the door and immediately knew it had been smoked in despite being covered up with all the detailing chemicals.

Brock Landers fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 24, 2009

pyrrhus
Jul 24, 2001
The additional room is nice. I don't like tiny cars.

The 5 also has fold-flat seats, so the cargo room is a little better than the sedans with the fixed seats. It's no wagon, but it would fit luggage for 4 passengers with ease.

Sterndotstern posted:

Not at all -- just harder to resell. Be absolutely positive you're in love with the car--and the manual--before buying it.

Personally, I'd still go for the wagon -- a $100 detail job is a small price to pay, but I've got a hardon for no-compromises cars.

There is a compromise - it feels much slower, and it's an automatic. The everyday utility and the additional small features are nice, but not really necessary. If it were a 330iT (if there were such a thing in the States, thanks BMW) with a 5-speed, I'd be jumping through hoops for it. As it is, I like the car, but I don't love it. And it's been smoked in ... I can't get that out of my head. I'd be one to notice the smell unless they could 100% remove it, and I doubt they'd be able to get it all.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

JizJizJiz posted:

I've never heard someone use that naming convention. What would you call an automatic coupe? E36 M3/2/A?

I think the only reason people use it is because it goes 3-4-5. I doubt anyone does it for any of the other combination. It's just fun to use I guess and there aren't a ton of them around, so they deserve their own special code name.

vivacthulhu posted:

There are definitely automatic M3 coupes, and lots of automatic convertibles.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 24, 2009

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Can someone with an E30 please confirm the part# on their high beam relay for me? Specifically for an '85 325 but as long it's a 5-prong it should be the same part.

edit: I think it should be 61361388911

Just checked mine out and that's the right number.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Just got my k1's mounted last week. Feels like my kumho xs's flat side pretty bad overnight :-/.

vivacthulhu
Sep 29, 2007
Hasta Victoria Ftaghn!

BossTweed posted:

I think the only reason people use it is because it goes 3-4-5. I doubt anyone does it for any of the other combination. It's just fun to use I guess and there aren't a ton of them around, so they deserve their own special code name.

There are definitely automatic M3 coupes, and lots of automatic convertibles.

I didn't want to believe it :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Baram posted:

Just checked mine out and that's the right number.

Thank you

LCN
Jul 27, 2009

mungtor posted:

They're much more common in the 4-door, but I think you could even get it in the coupe.

I think the auto on it is the original poopy SMG.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sterndotstern posted:

Not at all -- just harder to resell.

I'm not sure this will really be an issue since the one he's looking at also has the sports package. The manual/sport package combo fairly rare and one enthusiasts look for.

vivacthulhu
Sep 29, 2007
Hasta Victoria Ftaghn!

LCN posted:

I think the auto on it is the original poopy SMG.

Some research says that the E36 M3 was available with a 5 speed manual, but never an SMG.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

vivacthulhu posted:

Some research says that the E36 M3 was available with a 5 speed manual, but never an SMG.

The Euro M3 had an option for an SMG.

pyrrhus
Jul 24, 2001
'01 530i 5-speed with sport package, xenons, and fold-flat rear seats. 136k highway miles, good condition with all service records. Garage kept and two previous owners.

Worth $8.5k?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pyrrhus posted:

Worth $8.5k?

Yes. Bring a jack and a couple towels so you can get under it and inspect the shocks for leaks and suspension thrust bushings, bring a camera so you can show the owner your concerns. Compare maintenance history to this checklist:

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=55

And if something hasn't been addressed, raise it as a concern and possible bargaining chip.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'm not sure this will really be an issue since the one he's looking at also has the sports package. The manual/sport package combo fairly rare and one enthusiasts look for.

I had that exact combo and figured enthusiasts would be jumping on it when I sold it. Didn't happen. I got lots of calls asking if it was an automatic. :(

KillerFuzzball
Jul 1, 2007

taste the pain
Quick question:

What is this? I'm currently trying to install an Mtech I wheel in my '91 318i that previously had an airbagged wheel. Every half turn with the Mtech wheel makes a "click" sound that I've tracked down to a screw rubbing against this thing. What does it do? Is it important or can I grind it down a bit so that it isn't bumping into the screw?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

KillerFuzzball posted:

Quick question:

What is this? I'm currently trying to install an Mtech I wheel in my '91 318i that previously had an airbagged wheel. Every half turn with the Mtech wheel makes a "click" sound that I've tracked down to a screw rubbing against this thing. What does it do? Is it important or can I grind it down a bit so that it isn't bumping into the screw?

Grab it with a pair of pliers and yank it out, that's what I had to do.

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Had a bit of an incident with a fence, and now I need a new passenger's side tail (the glass portion) for my late model e30. Any of you happen to have one to spare on a parts car somewhere? Seemed like most people that had a set up for sale didn't want to part with just one, and I don't blame them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Killer fuzzball, yes you can just yank that out with a pair of pliers. You have the extra spacer to make the wheel mount up correctly, right?

Mr. Toast posted:

Had a bit of an incident with a fence, and now I need a new passenger's side tail (the glass portion) for my late model e30. Any of you happen to have one to spare on a parts car somewhere? Seemed like most people that had a set up for sale didn't want to part with just one, and I don't blame them.

Check the forums at r3vlimited.com

spodycart
Jan 1, 2008
So it's time to replace the lower control arm bushings on my E46. I've been trying to source a good aftermarket replacement and have heard good things about urethane bushings, namely that they won't disintegrate like the rubber ones. Problem is, I can't find a retailer that sells them pre-pressed into brackets, but i've found OEM bushings in brackets for roughly the same cost as a set of urethane ones (~$100).
I've heard its a real pain in the rear end to get the old ones out/press new ones in. I wouldn't be against buying some tools if it meant better bushings, but if I could find some all good to go that'd help my wallet a bit. Any suggestions?

spodycart fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

spodycart posted:

So it's time to replace the lower control arm bushings on my E46. I've been trying to source a good aftermarket replacement and have heard good things about urethane bushings, namely that they won't disintegrate like the rubber ones. Problem is, I can't find a retailer that sells them pre-pressed into brackets, but i've found OEM bushings in brackets for roughly the same cost as a set of urethane ones (~$100).
I've heard its a real pain in the rear end to get the old ones out/press new ones in. I wouldn't be against buying some tools if it meant better bushings, but if I could find some all good to go that'd help my wallet a bit. Any suggestions?

Do you track your car? If so, it's probably worth switching over to poly bushings. If you're just doing street driving, I wouldn't bother.

Plastic bushings last longer (if they're properly made), but they can contribute to a harsher ride with more vibrations transferred to the cabin. Changing out the control arm bushings with plastic won't have a serious effect on comfort, but it's sort of overkill for the type of driving most people do. Unless you drive very aggressively or are running on some super-heavy wheels, you should still get 50k miles or so out of rubber CABs.

If you're on a budget and aren't racing the car, I'd seriously just stick with rubber.

That being said, you can buy any bushings you want. Just pull your old CAB brackets off the car (I can have them off a non-xi e46 in about 10 minutes), and take them to any shop that has an arbor press...and every shop has a press. If they don't rip you off, they shouldn't charge much to press in a couple of bushings.

The urethane bushings will be a little harder for you to get back onto the control arms, but with some lube and a big rubber mallet anything is possible.

If you want to splurge on some pre-mounted bushings, these guys: http://www.treehouseracing.com/ make good quality stuff. Pricey though.

Oh, and if you're driving an all-wheel drive e46, this job is a much, much bigger pain in the rear end.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just a little tired of everyone pushing poly bushings, especially for major component mounts (engine, tranny, rear subframe, etc). They have their place, but they're just not a perfect fit for every application.