Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dub Step Dad
Dec 29, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

Saw it at the Fort Wayne, Indiana Regal Coldwater Crossing 14. The theater was about 2/3rds full, pretty good mix of ages and gender. Everyone in the theater was laughing their asses off, the live broadcast was a really good format, it felt like you were there in Nashville with them. Other than a few glitches with the feed in the beginning it was smooth sailing throughout. I really hope they do these more often, I have a long list of people that I need to drag to them.

Hello fellow Fort Wayne goon. :hfive:

Listening to some of the stories, I feel like we had a really good crowd. At least where I was sitting, nobody was really all that annoying or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leena
Aug 14, 2008
Another Warrington, PA here checking in.

I felt like no one (around me) was really into the commercials or the musical guest. Eh. Great fun anyway. I hope they do more of these.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

penis sandwich posted:

Regal 22, Warrington, PA

Funny fact, I had leaned over to my friend and commented that Bill looked like Dick Cheney, he agreed but said a little more McCain.

Then that girl piped up and repeated it loudly.

And now I'm here laughing about it again.

I hope they do more of these Fathom rifftrax events.

The Cookie Monster
Dec 30, 2008

That's good enough for me!
The first time it went out of sync. Some kid behind me literally yelled "OH NOES!".

The second sync error he shouts. "OH NOES AGAIN!"

:sigh:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The best thing is people trying to riff on the movie you are watching with Rifftrax.

Seriously, people?

dimwitf
Apr 8, 2008

'morning.

Jon93 posted:

Funny fact, I had leaned over to my friend and commented that Bill looked like Dick Cheney, he agreed but said a little more McCain.

Did anyone else notice a "Dick Chaney" on the first page of credits, at the start?

lemonlime
May 1, 2008

We saw him but were too busy snickering like middle schoolers about the unfortunate Mr. Manlove to take much notice.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

capnpayne posted:

The best thing is people trying to riff on the movie you are watching with Rifftrax.

Seriously, people?
Thank god nobody at my theater tried to do this, though there was an annoying girl talking a bit. She was reasonably quiet though, just right behind me. I think if somebody would have been full-on trying to riff the movie I wouldn't have been able to just be quiet about it. That's about the most annoying thing I can think of.

dimwitf posted:

Did anyone else notice a "Dick Chaney" on the first page of credits, at the start?

I did. Nobody else seemed to though.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I attended the movie in Tallahassee. I have been watching mst3k for a long time and seeing them riff live was great. It was odd seeing mike not age, which has previously been stated. John C was the only part that seemed off beat, I do not particularly listen to him, but expected something along the lines of the theme song or portal. The riff was great, the only thing I would complain about was that the showing of the three riffers seemed more random/timely as to on purpose to add emphasis.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

fenix down posted:

Coulton didn't go over too well at my theater either. His geek folk doesn't really fit in with the zany and sarcastic humor of lowtax and rifftrax.

edit: didn't he do a rifftrax though? did anyone watch that one?
Yep, Tron. The other riffers on the track were Paul and Storm (who are probably even less well known than Coulton).

I enjoyed it, but I like Coulton and the other two guys to begin with.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

Saw it at the Fort Wayne, Indiana Regal Coldwater Crossing 14. The theater was about 2/3rds full, pretty good mix of ages and gender. Everyone in the theater was laughing their asses off, the live broadcast was a really good format, it felt like you were there in Nashville with them. Other than a few glitches with the feed in the beginning it was smooth sailing throughout. I really hope they do these more often, I have a long list of people that I need to drag to them.

AAANIME!
Where were you sitting?
Me and my fellow goons were the first ones there about an hour early.

manik1235
Mar 18, 2005

BYE cycle, BUY cycle, I want to ride my BICYCLE!
I went to the Lafayette, IN showing of this, it was wonderful. We got to the theater about 20 minutes late due to poor planning, so we missed a bunch of the shorts. From reading the thread, I really want to see what I missed, so I guess that means I'm buying the DVD. Our theater was pretty full, so we had to sit in the uncomfortable front seats. I just saw the Flying Stewardess short, very fun.

So Lowtax did a bit at the event? I really want to see that too, does anyone know if it will be available on something other than the DVD (preferably free, and sooner)?

The two friends I brought had never seen MST3K before, and they loved the movie. We didn't have any problems with freelance hecklers, either, which was nice. I was wondering if we would. I'd say about half the audience participated in the zombie thing, but not very enthusiastically.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Daikoku posted:

I went with a friend to the Germantown MD, showing, which was surprisingly packed. There was a pretty diverse crowd and nobody was disruptive during the show, although the theater did smell like pee. :ohdear:

The theater also didn't even have the sync right on their own commercials before the show started, but all the hiccups were ironed out before Plan 9 itself started.

What up germantown Homie.

Who was that dude sellin DVDs in the hallway? The dude who tore our tickets said something like 'The colonel is here signing autographs' or something. Any idea?

penis sandwich
Aug 28, 2004

have some pudding :)

Jon93 posted:

I thought Bill looked a lot like Colin Mochrie.

Leena posted:

Another Warrington, PA here checking in.

I felt like no one (around me) was really into the commercials or the musical guest. Eh. Great fun anyway. I hope they do more of these.

Woo, sup Warrington!

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Alright, I can almost understand The Room. It was basically an untalented douchey guy's attempt at making a Skinemax flick starring himself, only he sounds straight out of the people rejected from Werewolf for sounding TOO foreign. The Wicker Man, though, I can't figure out. It had an ending straight out of the MST3K era. Bad movie, no doubt, but that ending was just hilarious.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

daspope posted:

I attended the movie in Tallahassee. I have been watching mst3k for a long time and seeing them riff live was great. It was odd seeing mike not age, which has previously been stated. John C was the only part that seemed off beat, I do not particularly listen to him, but expected something along the lines of the theme song or portal. The riff was great, the only thing I would complain about was that the showing of the three riffers seemed more random/timely as to on purpose to add emphasis.

Me and fellow goon were also at the Tallahassee show. We were the two bearded gentlemen that came in during the short. And yeah double gently caress that Coulton guy, why the gently caress was that segment so long. And why/who the gently caress was that chick announcing them.

kuplagoobs
May 20, 2003

I have to get this ham out of the oven.
I was at The Belcourt in Nashville, lined up outside the theater about an hour before the doors opened and was about tenth in line. Lowtax came over and brought several of us bottles of water. He hung around talking with us for a little while. Within 20 minutes, the line was down the block. Later, he went to Smoothie King and bought some energy drinks for some other people in line. I'd never met him before but he was really nice.

Live show was awesome. I'm scared I might be on the dvd singing like a zombie-fool.
(did I mention the theater sold mixed drinks for 45 minutes before the show started?)
I don't know if you could hear our crowd in the other theaters, but at the live show, MKB killed. I don't know when I've ever been in a crowd laughing so hard for so long.
I've seen Plan 9 so many times, I was just watching MKB most of the time. They were well-lit to the right of the screen, and would do some funny physical stuff during the riffing, Kevin especially.

After the show, there was a curtain call.
Everyone kept cheering for a long time, like it was a concert.
The guys came back out and took another bow. They kind of seemed embarrassed by all the applause.

House lights went up, then the audience started exiting. We were on the second row and I had recognized Bridget sitting in the front row, with what turned out to be Bill's wife. We walked over to say hi, and we started talking to her about the bacon diet, then Kevin walked out to the seats. Then Bill and Mike, and they hung around in front of the stage while maybe 20-30 people milled around getting pictures and autographs.
It had been going on for about a half hour when we left. They were all very friendly.
And Mike looks like he could win the Tour de France.

fugacity
Jun 7, 2000

by Ozma

kuplagoobs posted:

I was at The Belcourt in Nashville, lined up outside the theater about an hour before the doors opened and was about tenth in line. Lowtax came over and brought several of us bottles of water. He hung around talking with us for a little while. Within 20 minutes, the line was down the block. Later, he went to Smoothie King and bought some energy drinks for some other people in line. I'd never met him before but he was really nice.
[snip]
And Mike looks like he could win the Tour de France.

That sounds great, wish I could have seen them live - live. Had a great time in the local theater (AMC Castleton 14 in Indianapolis), though I showed up in the middle of the flying stewardess short. Lots of laughter all through the movie, it was great. I thought the singer wasn't too bad. Liked the first Lowtax short a lot (Grain Expo), not so much the second one (Berry Watch).

Only thing I'd strongly suggest for next time is to have night vision cameras for crowd pans. It was pretty useless for the director to give us theater goers crowd shots and have just a bunch of black silhouettes show up.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Hey guys, I don't know if anyone else's on the Rifftrax mailing list (I'd assume all of you since you all signed up to get your free swag), but look at what was in there today.

Another possible future live event confirmed?

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 25, 2009

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone else's on the Rifftrax mailing list (I'd assume all of you since you all signed up to get your free swag), but look at what was in there today.

Another possible future live event confirmed?

It seems like a smashing success on all counts. That has to encourage the guys to do another. I personally can't wait.

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp
People at our theatre seemed to like Coulton well enough. I don't think anybody booed or dissented at anything the whole time, actually. A few people fit the "Stereotypical goon" description, but mostly they seemed... actually something OTHER than normal, but not unpleasant. I'm not sure if there were any empty seats; I hadn't seen an actual line of people waiting to seat at a feature like this for some time.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm glad the guys had a great time doing the show, and I can only hope that means more in the future.

also saw this on the Rifftrax blog:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

fenix down posted:

:3:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Haha...look at Bill with his shirt all hanging open trying to impress the young hot chick.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

fenix down posted:

I'm glad the guys had a great time doing the show, and I can only hope that means more in the future.

also saw this on the Rifftrax blog:

Whoa, you guys weren't kidding- Mike is nearly ageless.

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009

Overwined posted:

As the EP, Jim Mallon pretty much owns the MST3k franchise. It has been pretty clear that Jim refuses to give dime one to anyone formerly involved in the show from all the DVD re-releases. Also, it is rumored that Joel really left the show because of conflicts with Mallon.

To summarize, gently caress Jim Mallon.

EDIT: He also tried to sink (sorry) Cinema Titanic. Obviously he can't stand seeing anyone from the show making any money without his own thumb in the pie.

Sorry, this is from a couple pages back...

I knew that the Mallon/Hodgson conflict made Joel take off, but I'd never heard that Mallon was loving not paying residuals to former MST3K cast/crew. Is that really the case?!

Reading interviews with Joel, Kevin, Mike, Trace and Bill made it seem that they were pleased with the sales of the DVDs - and I automatically assumed the reason for their happiness was because they were receiving regular checks from Best Brains.

Mallon has always annoyed me, but this is reaching new heights in the annals of dickishness.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
Just a question for you guys in the states, the cinemas where they screened these things. Were they shown only at independent cinemas or at chain multiplexes or both?

I am cut up I couldn't see this in my own country. I hope that they can somehow repackage and sell this to theatre in other English speaking parts of the world. I think it would have a Monty Python at the Hollywood Bowl kind of feel even if it wasn't 'LIVE'-live.

fugacity
Jun 7, 2000

by Ozma

FelchTragedy posted:

Just a question for you guys in the states, the cinemas where they screened these things. Were they shown only at independent cinemas or at chain multiplexes or both?

I am cut up I couldn't see this in my own country. I hope that they can somehow repackage and sell this to theatre in other English speaking parts of the world. I think it would have a Monty Python at the Hollywood Bowl kind of feel even if it wasn't 'LIVE'-live.

Pretty much all chains here. I think only chains have the technology to do the live feed.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Cinema Titanic, I guess all their dvds are 25% off this weekend starting Thursday. I haven't bought any of their dvds yet, so which one are worth getting first.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

fugacity posted:

Pretty much all chains here. I think only chains have the technology to do the live feed.

Ironically, though, the Belcourt (from which is broadcasted) is not only independent but a historic landmark - very low tech.

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Speaking of Cinema Titanic, I guess all their dvds are 25% off this weekend starting Thursday. I haven't bought any of their dvds yet, so which one are worth getting first.
Probably Wasp Woman and Legacy of Blood. Wasp Woman is standard Corman and is pretty much on par with most other Corman MST3k episodes. Legacy of Blood is my personal favorite. It's just so wrong. So much so that it's hard to even know where to begin explaining how wrong it is.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I believe in an interview that Joel said one of the reasons he decided to start up CT was because of the residuals from the DVD releases. I think he said something along the lines of, the checks kept getting bigger and he realized there was still an audience out there for this sort of thing.

Not sure how Mallon had tried to sink CT, but I believe he did dick around with The Film Crew (Mike, Kevin and Bill's first post-MST3K venture). If I recall correctly, they had been working on a deal with Rhino, but Mallon objected because he felt TFC was too similar to MST3K, and threatened to pull the deal they had. So they ended up releasing TFC episodes through Shout! Factory (which ironically is now the new home of MST3K DVDs).

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009

Grandpa Pap posted:

I believe in an interview that Joel said one of the reasons he decided to start up CT was because of the residuals from the DVD releases. I think he said something along the lines of, the checks kept getting bigger and he realized there was still an audience out there for this sort of thing.

Not sure how Mallon had tried to sink CT, but I believe he did dick around with The Film Crew (Mike, Kevin and Bill's first post-MST3K venture). If I recall correctly, they had been working on a deal with Rhino, but Mallon objected because he felt TFC was too similar to MST3K, and threatened to pull the deal they had. So they ended up releasing TFC episodes through Shout! Factory (which ironically is now the new home of MST3K DVDs).

That's the feeling I got as well. I certainly hope that the MST3K gang got their share of the pie with regard to their previous work. (Still: screw Jim Mallon.)

I also wish I could've been in the area of a theater that showed the live Rifftrax extravaganza. There were even theaters in the areas where I used to live that carried the live program. I would've been there.

edit: poor grammar

kuplagoobs
May 20, 2003

I have to get this ham out of the oven.
It's also strange that it was broadcast to a couple of other theaters in Nashville.
I wonder how many people attended those.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Did you miss the live show? Well:

Rifftrax posted:

We heard your cries, your tweets and your feedback. And so here's our answer!

For those who missed it, or want to see it again, our Aug 20 Rifftrax Live show will be rebroadcast in theaters.

We're still solidifying the details, so we don't have any yet - but we should have definite date and time for you by next week. Stay tuned!

Alvie
May 22, 2008

fugacity posted:

Basically to do any sort of live feed, a theater has to have digital projectors. If you don't have digital, everything is run on 35mm film, which obviously can't be live. The reason why you mainly see this sort of thing in chains is that digital projectors are prohibitively expensive. The theater at which I used to work was planning to upgrade their 12 auditoriums to digital over the course of several years at a total cost of over a million dollars. They're an independent company which owns 5 or so theaters so it's definitely possible for this sort of thing to show at an independent theater, but only if that theater is really raking in the cash.

Alvie fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 28, 2009

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there anywhere that mentions the technology they were using for all of this? Do all these theaters have huge network pipes now? The bandwidth needed to stream something that looks good on such a large screen (Far greater than 1080p I would imagine) would just be absolutely huge.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Philthy posted:

Is there anywhere that mentions the technology they were using for all of this? Do all these theaters have huge network pipes now? The bandwidth needed to stream something that looks good on such a large screen (Far greater than 1080p I would imagine) would just be absolutely huge.

It's just an HD satellite broadcast, that's why so many people had hiccups with the feed (rainstorms and satellite don't mix).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Star Trek Generations
Data: *blah blah blah*
Kevin: And what does cerebro say?
Mike: magneto

A running gag across at least a dozen riffs and it finally kills me. I finally did it. I spit my drink out. Into the glass I was drinking from, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
Digital projector's for indie cinemas. Looks like they may make them for cheap enough soon/now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jul/08/digital-cinema

• Locked thread