Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Martytoof posted:

This last game I started turning around and visibly standing to one side of the net when I'm taking a drink just to give the message not to shoot on me.
I don't turn my back, but I grab my water bottle and skate off toward the corner if I have to. The one time play's come back toward me, the guy with the puck circled around to wait for me to finish.

It seems like the guys who play around here are dickheads a lot less often than where you guys play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ManicJason posted:

It seems like the guys who play around here are dickheads a lot less often than where you guys play.

Nah, a few exceptions aside they get the hint. When my back is turned they either start to pass off to each other waiting for me to finish or they just toss the puck to my D to start the rush back to their end. I don't really take my time either so I try not to give them a reason to get impatient.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Broke both of my sticks last night. First one broke 1 minute into the first period. Second one broke.....10 minutes into the first period. Do you know how hard it is to play without a stick? Luckily my team is good so we still won 8-6. Guess I'll be bringing 3 sticks to every game now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the hell, were they all foam core or what? :lol:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

What the hell, were they all foam core or what? :lol:

My backup was a lovely $50 RBK...so yeah. The first one that broke was a nice Bauer Supreme. drat thing only lasted about 2 months.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I've been buying Warriors which I love but I'm not big on the wear that Wood sticks get over time. Like any wood stick they splinter after a bit and that perfect feel you had for the first 2 months is gone. Why cant you bastards make a full right Warrior composite?!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I play with cheap wooden sticks, whose seemingly only benefits are

1) Indestructible
2) My right arm has never been in better shape :haw:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Breaking two sticks in one game is pretty drat impressive. I mainly use SWD 9950s, which seem to withstand a ton of punishment and last forever. Lately I have been using a Montreal 9000, which has been a nice stick and seems to be pretty durable. I haven't messed around with any composite sticks, so I can't comment on those.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Wow, my foam injected wood sticks usually last me about a year. I haven't broken a stick in almost 2 years; it was at the heel during an evening shinny, flapping around like it was on a hinge without me noticing. I wondered throughout the entire ice time why I couldn't shoot the puck to save my life and why pucks were going into the net after I had stopped them with my stick on the ice. I'm staying the hell away from composites too because I need a not illegal glove and blocker soon so I'm saving my money for those and from what I've heard and seen, they break along the top half way too much to be worth $200+.

Anyway, I filled in for my new goalie acquaintance last night and like so many times I've simply lost track, lost the shutout in the last 5 minutes. I tallied up 28 saves and we won 2-1 and the other team was absolutely sick of me, which I found absoulutely hysterical, but in the end everyone had a good time and I was pretty satisfied with my performance, the only goal being off a rebound my springy R8s let out into the slot. Since it was the first game I could actually drive by myself to (yay for getting my license a month before I turn 19) I was able to listen to whatever I wanted as loud as I wanted which really calmed my nerves, I think. It really gets you focused to play when you have the right music to put you in the zone. Of course there are such things as headphones but car stereos are so much fun.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I've only had one composite and it lasted me over a year till Reed Larson destroyed it after t'ing up. I love the feel of wood sticks because they dont shock your hand as much when you're stopping the puck with them and the bend feels better to me too. The only reason I gave the composite stick a chance is because I got it for $100, even after having one perform perfect for that long I'm still on edge about buying a $200+ stick that might bust after someone steps on it or a puck hits the shaft hard enough.

motoraway
Oct 12, 2003

How Swede it is
I will never mock our goalies again.

We clinched 1st place in our ball hockey league in a few weeks back, so tonight for giggles I played net....christ.

My body is going to hate me tomorrow....

SmutAnEggs
Jan 1, 2006
A few questions on breezers/pants.

1.) What pants/breezers allow for the best mobility, which are the lightest?
2.) How would I tell if it's the manufacture's model from last year or this years model?
3.) My last pair of breezers/pants were the Bauer 6's in the late 90s. I currently wear my upper body/CA on the outside of breezers/pants, I would like to make the switch to wearing it on the inside, how does the effect the sizing?
4.) I'm currently wearing the Itech Re-Flex RX9 upper body/CA, this seems like a longer upper body/CA then the Vaughn models? Are their pants that would fit this upper body/CA better then others?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got a lame story from last night.

So when I get to the rink last night I realize that one of the guys that I play with brought his 13 year old kid to sub for the other goalie who couldn't make it. Now the guy's been talking up his kid for a while now, how he's been taking lessons and how he's tearing up his league. So all of a sudden I realize that there's a very good chance I'm going to get shown up by a 13 year old kid, and my slow, fat rear end definitely doesn't need that.

Basically to make a really long story short I played the game of my fuckin' life and the kid struggled. I felt kind of bad for him halfway in, not to mention like a heel for hoping he'd have a bad game so I wouldn't look bad, so I told his dad that we were going to start switching every ten minutes because the "teams were uneven" bla bla. In the end, the kid made some really great saves but I think he was glad to be off the ice after the hour was up.

Anyway, I still feel kind of stupid about it, but on the upside being in a spot where I thought I was going to get completely steamrolled by someone half my age and likely better than me really forced me to focus like I'd never focused before. I didn't give up a goal for thirty or so minutes, and really only fell apart near the end where my D got a little sloppy leading to a few terrible 2 on 1s, a 3 on 0 :lol:, etc.

So I guess you never know where your motivation will come from.

As for the pants question, I'm not sure on the answer to a few of those, but I wear a really old pair of Vaughns, maybe Visions, from what has to be the mid to late 90s. They've seen a lot of use and have so little extraneous padding that I'm honestly surprised I haven't felt some of the shots I take, but the fact that they're so thin and easy on padding means they basically feel like I'm not even wearing them -- so mobile I can't imagine going back to anything else. For a brief while I wore a pair of Vaughn Visions I bought in 2006 -- padded like a tank, adult large. I went back to my older Vaughns because the newer pants, while really padded and comfortable, just didn't feel right, almost constricting.

The good news/bad news about my older pants is that they don't have much in the way of belly protection, but since I wear my C/A tucked into and tied down to my pants this hasn't been a problem yet. Suspenders over the C/A as well for minimum movement.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 21, 2009

gco
May 8, 2007

Off the ice for a week and a half and a shitstorm of me letting tricklers in ensues during shinny. :rolleyes:

Anyway, pro teams are in training camp now and I never got a call to do a scrimmage with any of the guys, but maybe next year when they find out I am actually on a team (if I don't loving sprain any ankles).

And speaking of which, I found out I have about $6,000 in my savings account (yay part time minimum wage vet job from age 13-16) so this week I'm going to get some brand a spanking new glove and blocker and maybe trade in my old pads to get a full matching set. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go red/white/blue color scheme (match team colors) but may go with stock black/grey/white, all depending on what they have in the store.

I plan on spending several hours there trying every single thing on, most likely more shopping than I ever do for anything else in an entire year, but I want to make sure I get something that's really comfy that I can get used to within a month before tryouts.

I'll be sure to post pics of whatever I get, I might even trek out tomorrow after a guy's lesson I'm goaltending for. :woop:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I had such a nice stretch of convient hockey and now there aren't really any viable open hockey times at the two rinks nearest me. I'll probably play on Saturday night to keep myself sharp, but I already miss having convient evening hockey or just weeknight hockey. Plus, the Saturday morning group that I've been playing with seems to have lost all structure and I'm not keen on waking up at 4:45 am and driving to the other side of town not knowing if anyone will be there.

I knew that having convenient hockey would ruin me. Maybe I'll explore the West Valley rinks or do a novelty inline drop-in or two.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Just after me complaining that I don't have anywhere to play right now, I got a call to sub in over at the Gilbert rink. I won 6-4 and made a couple big saves including a butterfly slide when a player tried to go cross crease on a breakaway and a lightning fast kick save that seemed to really impress my team. They were adament to get my contact information before I left and it sounds like I might have a team for the fall.

I will say that it was nice to play a league game after playing drop-in for so long. There's just a different level of intensity when you know that the score is being tracked and that there are people watching you play. For me, it's a weird mix of this angry Raw Lewis like intensity and not wanting to make an rear end out of myself. It's actually a good feeling and I feel like it makes me more willing to work harder for a save than I otherwise would.

As for the 4 goals I let in, the first one was a weird shot that bounced off my shoulder and went into the net, which is one of the disadvantages of not being a tall goalie. The second was a high glove side shot that grazed past my glove. The third one was a hard shot that hit me in the ribs and bounced into the net and the fourt one was honestly I really good save. It was a long rally on their part where I had made a couple of saves in a row. I was being screened and was still down on the ice in a blocking butterfly and the shooter was able to rifle a shot over my leg pad and glove and into the the net.

Also with 40 seconds left the other team was getting desperate and just trying to place hard shots on the net and they nailed me right around where my shoulder joins my arm, so far it's just a little bit of stiffiness, quite a bit of swelling, and it's already bruising, but it's not too bad. I do wonder if I'll need to replace my C/A in the coming months or if some of the strings are getting a little loose and opening up gaps that would normally be protected. :iiam:

gco
May 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

Also with 40 seconds left the other team was getting desperate and just trying to place hard shots on the net and they nailed me right around where my shoulder joins my arm, so far it's just a little bit of stiffiness, quite a bit of swelling, and it's already bruising, but it's not too bad. I do wonder if I'll need to replace my C/A in the coming months or if some of the strings are getting a little loose and opening up gaps that would normally be protected. :iiam:

I get this all the time because I've never bothered replacing the missing string that keeps the arm protection closer to the chest. I really should because I've gotten pelted there 3 times this summer and it doesn't really matter how hard the shot is, if it's going somewhere that isn't protected, it's gonna hurt.

Also, apparently not all teams are in training camp yet. I went to Stamford Twin Rinks last night and saw Ryan Shannon and his goons that live around here skating around on the East rink. They were just skating around in circles around the rink racing each other every so often. I don't know how long they had been skating around for, but after a while they brought some pucks out and I called out onto the ice if they wanted someone to shoot on, as there were no goalies on the ice and Shannon just looked at me blankly and shook his head. :( At least I tried. v:shobon:v

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any of you guys used those sani-sport machines to make your gear smell less like a sweaty pile of rags? How long before the freshness wears off?

I don't mind hockey smell, but with the humid weather these past few weeks my gear hasn't been drying properly between each game and has progressively gone from "awesome normal hockey smell" to a rather goony "nuke it form orbit".

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

Any of you guys used those sani-sport machines to make your gear smell less like a sweaty pile of rags? How long before the freshness wears off?

I don't mind hockey smell, but with the humid weather these past few weeks my gear hasn't been drying properly between each game and has progressively gone from "awesome normal hockey smell" to a rather goony "nuke it form orbit".

My roommate used this service or something very similar and it went from regular hockey smell stink to smelling good when he aired out his equipment. I have a dehumidifier run in my drying room, it helps with smell and gets your poo poo dry quick if you're skating the next day.

The thing that impressed me the most was how nice the his gloves felt after he got them back. They went from standard old crusty rear end gloves to brand new feel.

edit:

Here's the place I'm talking about
http://www.mn-sportsfresh.com/

It must be a different process cause it smelled like an air freshener when his stuff was airing out and not at all like bleach.

titanium fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 26, 2009

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I just tried the local pro shop's ozone destinking. It didn't do anything for my catcher really, but it wasn't horrible in the first place. My blocker now smells like bleach instead of a dead animal. The owner didn't charge me anything. :coal:

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Something that I tried recently (and with great results) was mixing a little bit of baking soda with water in a spray bottle. My dog had pissed in the basement, so I had bought some Arm & Hammer Pet Fresh Deodorizer. On a whim, I sprinkled a little bit of it into a full water bottle, shook it up, and tried it on my equipment. Shockingly, it didn't just make my stuff smell less bad, it knocked the odors out. Like as in I couldn't tell that a full outfit of hockey equipment was in the same room as me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nice. I've gone through the steps of washing my stuff in all these concoctions before, the baking soda definitely works, I'm just tired of having to do the legwork myself. I'm ready to just pay someone a few dollars so I can throw my bag into a box and have them do the dirty bizzzniss :effort:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Our goalie had his equipment cleaned in Windsor and it came back smelling great. No stink and it smelled slightly of fabric softener. It takes 24-48 hours and costs a bit.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Welp, my wife went into labor the night of our championship game. They had to find a replacement goalie who apparently sucked horribly. He had 16 shots and let in 5. I hated letting my team down but having our first child seemed to be a little more important. :haw: How long before I can get him suited up? 2...3 weeks?

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Joey Walnuts posted:

Welp, my wife went into labor the night of our championship game. They had to find a replacement goalie who apparently sucked horribly. He had 16 shots and let in 5. I hated letting my team down but having our first child seemed to be a little more important. :haw: How long before I can get him suited up? 2...3 weeks?

I actually found the first set of leg pads for my nephew, he is all of 5 months old and I figure in a year and a bit he can wear them. RBK and all of 11 inches, I am going to drive that kid into the back of the net if he actually gets in front of a shot :D I dont think they make any other gear that small, but I figure I can teach him to skate with pads on from a young age and all other skating will feel light and wrong.

On an unrelated note, how many people are starting to gear up for the upcoming season? The last few weeks I have been oggling local shops and trying on various pieces of kit that I want to upgrade for competitive play this winter. Up first is the glove which titanium is kind enough to help me out with, next is leg pads and helmet. Today I picked up a matching bauer (pre nike) vapor Hebert stick to go with the one I picked up and fell in love with last season.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Just don't be one of those goalie dads who thinks their kid shouldn't be doing skating drills.

Hate those idiots

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Congratulations. You might want to wait until 4 or 5 weeks, but if he doesn't want to play net, then at least make sure he plays defense. Actually, my cousins up in Minnesota had their kids start ice skating and playing hockey at 2 or 3. I don't know if kids here start that early, but it seems like there's now a pretty good structure for youth hockey here.

gco posted:

I get this all the time because I've never bothered replacing the missing string that keeps the arm protection closer to the chest. I really should because I've gotten pelted there 3 times this summer and it doesn't really matter how hard the shot is, if it's going somewhere that isn't protected, it's gonna hurt.

Considering that I've found strings that belong somewhere on my C/A in my goalie bag, this seems like a pretty likely scenario. I'll need to get some skate lace and just spend some time trying to tighten up my C/A for now. I could also try pulling my suspenders over my C/A, though I've never quite liked how that feeled the few times I tried it. I eventually might pick up a Vaughn Epic or Brian's Zero G C/A, but my current C/A is fine as long as I can fix the shoulder issue.

Do you guys have any suggestions for groin stretches? I mainly do the stretches where you sit on the ground with your feet together with one variant where I hold my ankles and the other variant where I push my legs down with my elbows while trying to keep my feet together and near my body. I also do some stretches with my legs spread far apart and grabbing my toes, which seems to help stretch out my groin some, but they obvious aren't meant as primary groin stretches. Also, which on ice groin stretches do you guys do?

Oh yeah, last Saturday before my game, the Zamboni ran out of gas on the ice. I don't really know how you manage to do that, but it was funny to watch.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

T-Bone posted:

Just don't be one of those goalie dads who thinks their kid shouldn't be doing skating drills.

Hate those idiots

A goalie who is terrible at skating is no goalie at all, rather I propose a goalie who is a poor skater should be reclassified to "obstacle". I see enough of these kids who spend all ice time in goalie skates, never wearing a players pair or working on movements. These kids are less about saving and mobility and more about positioning, if you catch them out of position the net may as well be considered empty as they lack the skills to make anything but a rudimentary flop. My nephew will be spending time out of the crease as well, only if he wants to actually play in net would I start strapping gear to him. If he wants to be a forward or d-man I would still gladly play with him and help him get the skills and equipment he needs. My own children however better be born with TPS gear or I will think my wife has cheated on me.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Goalies should be doing the skating drills with everyone else. A tender who is huffing and puffing isn't going to have the mental focus that another who has been properly conditioned.

I think once the kid is dead set on goaltending he should start working on crease mobility. When parents of tenders ask me who their kid should be watching I tell them Fleury. I'm a big fan of the Pro Hybrid and Wogtec training because they're teaching "his" style. The speed, strength, stability, and efficiency of his crease movement is amazing and he's just as strong while on the ice in butterfly. You can say what you want about him but as a fundamental goalie I feel he's an excellent representation of the future of goaltending. You start with this and let him branch out into his own style around 6th grade.

In the end of the day all that matters is that they're making saves. It drove me nuts listening to the commentators during Ducks v. Detroit series last season talking poo poo about Hiller's style. Yeah he's down all the time but he's also square to the puck and playing his angles well. A great goalie coach wont critique a working style but will critique flawed fundamentals. After Warren Strelow died I was wondering what made him such an effective goalie coach and thats what I came to.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What is the current contract status of Tuukka "Psycho" Ramo Rask in Boston right now? It was quiet evident Thomas will be their winning goalie for a while now but is he still under contract?

(he is 22 or 23 years of age right now, so that means he'll be even better in 10 years, and if someone does not sign him to the NHL right now I'll hulk out and throw monitors and milk crates out of the window)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 29, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Ligur posted:

What is the current contract status of Tuukka "Psycho" Ramo in Boston right now? It was quiet evident Thomas will be their winning goalie for a while now but is he still under contract?

(he is 22 or 23 years of age right now, so that means he'll be even better in 10 years)

He'll have to go, I cant imagine anyone else sharing the nickname psycho while Fernandez is in town.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Ligur posted:

What is the current contract status of Tuukka "Psycho" Ramo in Boston right now? It was quiet evident Thomas will be their winning goalie for a while now but is he still under contract?

(he is 22 or 23 years of age right now, so that means he'll be even better in 10 years)

Not sure who this Ramo fellow is, but tuukka rask is an RFA after this season.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yes I ment Rask not Ramo. Durrrrrrr.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Joey Walnuts posted:

My kid'll be 9 months next week, and I'm convinced I can get him skating now. He can't fully walk, but if you put him behind one of his little toys that roll (so he can use it like a walker) he can walk along. I'm sure I can put skates on him, and he can do the same thing with one of those helper push things they use for kids.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

This is probably a huge longshot for anyone here, but I'm planning on going to a roller hockey tournament in Hong Kong in November. One of the guys on my league team has gone the last two years (they won both years) and I'm joining them this year. As of now we don't have a goalie which is pretty much the only roadblock stopping us. No goalie, no tournament.

Costs all in are going to be $1200 for your flight, hotel, fees, some food and some drinks. Obviously if you buy clothes/drinks/girls that number can go as high as you want. From what I hear the skill level isn't that great, probably around a mid-tier men's league. Our team apparently has a couple of guys that are horrible and they still won the tournament 2 years running.

While I know a ton of goalies, the $1200 is the tough part for most guys. If any of SAS's 3000 goalies are interested, let me know. You can expect to see Hong Kong, kick rear end playing hockey and party pretty hard. Like I said, it's probably a long shot that we'll pick someone up from here, but you never know.

This is the tourney's website:
http://www.hkciha.com.hk/events.php

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

bigmike posted:

This is probably a huge longshot for anyone here, but I'm planning on going to a roller hockey tournament in Hong Kong in November. One of the guys on my league team has gone the last two years (they won both years) and I'm joining them this year. As of now we don't have a goalie which is pretty much the only roadblock stopping us. No goalie, no tournament.

Costs all in are going to be $1200 for your flight, hotel, fees, some food and some drinks. Obviously if you buy clothes/drinks/girls that number can go as high as you want. From what I hear the skill level isn't that great, probably around a mid-tier men's league. Our team apparently has a couple of guys that are horrible and they still won the tournament 2 years running.

While I know a ton of goalies, the $1200 is the tough part for most guys. If any of SAS's 3000 goalies are interested, let me know. You can expect to see Hong Kong, kick rear end playing hockey and party pretty hard. Like I said, it's probably a long shot that we'll pick someone up from here, but you never know.

This is the tourney's website:
http://www.hkciha.com.hk/events.php

Gahhh, why cant you bastards play iceeeeee :doom:

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
From last night. I thought this was particularly cool. :)

Crazy that it busted in three pieces. I didn't even realize what had happened until much later on when I was smothering the puck and noticed bits of glass in the crease. Too bad it broke, but it clearly did its job. And drat is that Lexan sharp when it shatters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually took mine off while I'm playing with the gang here. Probably not the smartest thing, and it usually takes a photo like this to remind me. I'll have to put it back on before the next game :haw:

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Hazed_Red posted:

Crazy that it busted in three pieces. I didn't even realize what had happened until much later on when I was smothering the puck and noticed bits of glass in the crease. Too bad it broke, but it clearly did its job. And drat is that Lexan sharp when it shatters.

OOooooo I like that color. :niggly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_Red posted:

Hackva Texalium finish? I also have the same dangler, not sure if it's encouraging or not to see it split into three pieces.

• Locked thread