Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Out with the old; 2005 Ninja 250, with special super loud 2-into-1 exhaust rejet. She put about 4k miles on it, paid $2300 for it, and got $1500 at a dealership as trade.

In with the new.. 2009 Ninja 250 with 1900 miles. Previous owner spent $715 (!!) on a full Yoshimura pipe for it, along with a dynojet jet kit (total net is about 3hp, or 10% increase), and she loves it. The only real plan is to take the wheel tape off, because it looks silly and doesn't match the bodywork (though it doesn't look too bad in this pic). PS it's about time they get a drat gas gauge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Fantastipotamus posted:

PS it's about time they get a drat gas gauge.
Unfortunately it's so inaccurate (for me anyway) that you wind up using the trip meter anyway. Mine reads it as half empty right after a fillup =\. Though I think it works alright for some people.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

-Inu- posted:

Unfortunately it's so inaccurate (for me anyway) that you wind up using the trip meter anyway. Mine reads it as half empty right after a fillup =\. Though I think it works alright for some people.
Hmm.. interesting, and good to know. Being that it's brand new to us (currently reading 1/2 tank with about 140 miles logged) perhaps we should fill 'er up and see whats up, given that theres no reserve anymore.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
This is my first bike it's a 1990 KLR 650 Tengai with 36000 miles on it and I payed 600€. It's awesome.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

-Inu- posted:

Mine works fine. I wonder if people are filling their bikes on the side stand or straight up. I fill my on the side stand to the bottom of the cup and it reads full every time.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I fill mine on the side stand. I've never ran the tank to empty, maybe I need to do that to reset it? Seems unlikely.

Three Speed
Aug 27, 2009

by Peatpot
Here's my '99 XR400. 420 (wake neighbors every day) big-bore kit, Terry Hayes tuned suspension, Barrett pipe, HRC cam, Excel rims and a few other bits. Looks like a piece of shite and is a bitch to start cold (gently caress you and your electric leg) but it's big, stupid fun and manages to give the KTMs a bit of a fright in the bush (albeit not often).

Three Speed fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 27, 2009

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Fantastipotamus posted:

Hmm.. interesting, and good to know. Being that it's brand new to us (currently reading 1/2 tank with about 140 miles logged) perhaps we should fill 'er up and see whats up, given that theres no reserve anymore.

No reserve would suck. I have a guage, and still abuse the reserve if I know I'm within range of a station. I also get 50mpg in town, and like 35-40 at the speeds I go on the highway (standard position makes me a sail)...so I've done anywhere from 80 to 120 miles before hitting reserve, and frequently forget how much of that is highway in a given week.

That is a sexy bike, though, and a blast I'm sure. It's on my short list for 2nd bike in about 1.5 years, but I'm leaning more towards something geared more for touring and being a daily driver. Form vs function, form vs function...this is gonna be a hard choice.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

UserNotFound posted:

No reserve would suck. I have a guage, and still abuse the reserve if I know I'm within range of a station. I also get 50mpg in town, and like 35-40 at the speeds I go on the highway (standard position makes me a sail)...so I've done anywhere from 80 to 120 miles before hitting reserve, and frequently forget how much of that is highway in a given week.

That is a sexy bike, though, and a blast I'm sure. It's on my short list for 2nd bike in about 1.5 years, but I'm leaning more towards something geared more for touring and being a daily driver. Form vs function, form vs function...this is gonna be a hard choice.
There are plenty of bikes that don't have reserves, especially ones with EFI and a low-gas light (or gauge). My Buell doesn't have one, for example, just a blinky light.

There are plenty of bikes that fit both form and function, you just have to find the one that work best for what you're after. The Ninja 650R would likely fit the bill, I'd think, but pretty much all the major manufacturers have something that would work in that regard. Yamaha has the FZ6 and FZ1, with the R6 and R1 engines (detuned slightly), partial fairing, and upright riding positions. You just have to do some research and figure out which one you like most.

-Inu- posted:

I fill mine on the side stand. I've never ran the tank to empty, maybe I need to do that to reset it? Seems unlikely.
Based on how far the 250R leans over on its sidestand, you're probably only getting about 2/3rds of a tank or so, I'd estimate, so maybe that's your gauge issue?

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
In what was probably an irresponsible purchase I now have myself a brand new BMW F800GS. I'm in love and love is not rational.

I love you both equally, Boulevard M50. It's just that I love BMW F800GS more equally, that's all.

I'm just starting my new job as a college prof so next summer when I have 9 weeks off I will be riding from Ontario to Alaska with a stop-over in Inuvik.

Now to save up for farkles.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

niethan posted:

This is my first bike it's a 1990 KLR 650 Tengai with 36000 miles on it and I payed 600€. It's awesome.

This isn't getting enough love. I wish we got these in the states. Awesome bike dude!

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I bought an sv650, how original of me! 2003 - 6400 miles. Picked this bike up Monday, loving everything about it so far. I have frame sliders on order. Not sure what else I have on the upgrade list yet, just want to ride as much as possible before winter sets in.

Has a big dent in the gas tank, but I got a good price so I don't mind to much. I now see way everyone loves these bikes so much, torque rules.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

spandexcajun posted:

I bought an sv650, how original of me! 2003 - 6400 miles. Picked this bike up Monday, loving everything about it so far. I have frame sliders on order. Not sure what else I have on the upgrade list yet, just want to ride as much as possible before winter sets in.

Has a big dent in the gas tank, but I got a good price so I don't mind to much. I now see way everyone loves these bikes so much, torque rules.

2003 there was a recall on the SV tanks. If it hasn't already been done, you might be able to get a new tank for free.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Mr. DNA posted:

In what was probably an irresponsible purchase I now have myself a brand new BMW F800GS. I'm in love and love is not rational.

That is the bike that got me interested in adventure riding. I looked at a picture and it just clicked something inside me. I'm rallying around on my 1974 TS185 and saving up for a G(F)650GS. I want the old single so I can work on it myself.

I'm glad you're going to be putting it to good use.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Zenaida posted:

2003 there was a recall on the SV tanks. If it hasn't already been done, you might be able to get a new tank for free.

Looks like it was only for California models, thanks for the tip though.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
This is all your fault CA, I would never have known how cool these bikes are if I didn't post here.

This is my 2004 Aprilia RSV Mille 1000 R, and it is by FAR the coolest thing I have ever owned. Haven't decided if I'm going to keep all the stickers the guy put on it yet, but it does look amazing already.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd pull off all of them except the AF1 one, personally. God, I love those bikes. Congrats!

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

1997 GS500E. Looking to sell it by next summer for a Versys/DL650/KLR.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My first motorcycle :D

Bought for $1,500. 11,xxx miles. 1998 model.

It's been lowered 1.5 inches in the back via links. I'm gonna see how I like it and decide if I wanna stick with this mod or not. The front fairing is cracked in some areas and definitely needs replacing, and I'm wanting a streetfighter look. The question is how.

Happy as poo poo. :)

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

the walkin dude posted:

The question is how.
A sawzall and a hammer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

My first motorcycle :D

Bought for $1,500. 11,xxx miles. 1998 model.

It's been lowered 1.5 inches in the back via links. I'm gonna see how I like it and decide if I wanna stick with this mod or not. The front fairing is cracked in some areas and definitely needs replacing, and I'm wanting a streetfighter look. The question is how.

Happy as poo poo. :)

Congrats!

I'd recommend you raise it back up as soon as possible, because lowering in the back like that is going to reduce cornering clearence and is going to mess with the steering geometry fairly significantly. Lowering links should only be used if someone is physically incapable of keeping the bike upright as is, and even then, there are better options for lowering the bike.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Allrighty, looks like I definitely gotta do that. The PO said to put the bike on its centerstand and use a jack or block to prop the rear tire up as I switch out the links, looks like I gotta get a jack to slowly lower the tire as I take out the links and put in the stock ones, right?

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
Finally got my Midnight Warrior.

I absolutely love this bike. I saved up for a long time to get it. So happy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Edit: ^^^^ man, that is sweet. I've got a serious weakness for blacked out cruisers.

the walkin dude posted:

Allrighty, looks like I definitely gotta do that. The PO said to put the bike on its centerstand and use a jack or block to prop the rear tire up as I switch out the links, looks like I gotta get a jack to slowly lower the tire as I take out the links and put in the stock ones, right?

You're probably going to have difficulty finding a jack that's low enough to really get the tire down. I'd put it up on the centerstand and then use pieces of wood to lift or lower the tire until you can get it in place. The other option is to just have a friend help you lift/lower the tire until it lines up, and that's really the easiest way.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 1, 2009

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

005060524 posted:

I absolutely love this bike. I saved up for a long time to get it. So happy.

God drat. I knew that thing looked good from the official site, but I had no idea.

Congrats. That's beautiful.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

005060524 posted:

Just make sure you take off that abortion of a rear seat asap, that's a great looking bike except for that. (and I'd need to put some 10-12 inch ape hangers on it but that's just me)

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

72 Yamaha XS2 I've been working on getting up to par all summer. Basically a total pile of poo poo when I bought it. Got it running tight and reliably, but it feels pretty damned pedestrian on the road (although part of that is my mistake in buying D404's)

This winter is the big "go fast tear-down", but I'm just enjoying the last few months of ride-able weather before all that occurs.

e: spelling

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 2, 2009

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

It followed me home!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

(Please ignore the construction supplies.)

2004 BMW R1150R 12,500 miles, ABS, heated grips, etc...

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

No need for a jack, but yes, put the bike on the centrestand.

Just put a piece of wood or something under the tyre so it doesn't drop suddenly when the links are removed, then remove them.

Now, pull the piece of wood out, and the tyre will drop. With the links gone it's only got the weight of the wheel itself and the swingarm behind it, so it's not too heavy and can easily be lifted back up to whatever position you need.

Do this, and wedge another piece of wood (smaller than the last) under the wheel to keep it in the right position for the standard links, then bolt them on and you're done.

Due to the curvature of the tyre, you can vary the position of the wood (or whatever other object you use) underneath it to make finer adjustments to the height of the wheel and get everything lined up.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 3, 2009

Zaknafein
Nov 16, 2004
Half Filipino. Half Venezuelan. That makes me black, I think.

Tipped posted:

It followed me home!

(Please ignore the construction supplies.)

2004 BMW R1150R 12,500 miles, ABS, heated grips, etc...

I am incredibly jealous....this is the bike I am fienin' for right now. well, the 1200 version. saving up for it now. ya gotta let me know how it is!

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

Zaknafein posted:

I am incredibly jealous....this is the bike I am fienin' for right now. well, the 1200 version. saving up for it now. ya gotta let me know how it is!

I got it 4 days ago, but I can tell you that, so far, it does everything without complaint. I rode through twisties, traffic, and highway without even blinking.

The only problem is probably user error. When I do a hill start it stalls or near stalls. Too much gas or too little gas stalls it with very little margin for error.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Too much gas shouldn't be the problem, it's more like clutch work. If it stalls because you're giving it too much gas and not because you're letting the clutch out too fast on a hill, that sounds like a bike problem to me.

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

It knocks a little when I ease it in with extra gas on a hill, if I don't feather the clutch it stalls.

Time to go find a hill and get more data.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I'll always have a special place in my heart for my first bike.

I was planning on keeping the sv until it fell apart, but I got this for a good deal. It just needs a new mirror, because the PO dropped it trying to get it on the center stand.

here's a crappy picture.

After selling the sv, the difference between buying the fz6 was less than the maintenance that the sv was going to need (tires, valve check, new chain/sprockets). It only has 5k miles and it looks kickin rad.

So far, the bike has been great. Its more comfortable, has that sexy inline 4 scream, and I like the stock exhaust so much that I probably won't change it.

People say that the clutch is too abrupt and that it doesn't have enough power (~95hp). The clutch was wonky during the test ride, but after I burped around for about 5 minutes it was just like any other clutch. I'm also more than satisfied with the power, but I'm kind of a sedate rider anyway.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Here's my new bike, I had to sell my '94 Magna and my '85 Gold Wing over the winter, but I'm rocking a cool UJM with extra oomph now...

She's an '82 KZ1000J2, punched out to 1100cc. She needs a bit of sorting out, like putting the forks right side round, and the Reagan era rubber has got to go (but ya gotta admit the raised white letters are stylin').

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
Here's my first bike, a '99 Ducati Monster 750.

(Sorry for the crap iPhone picture)

There's a couple dime-sized dents in the gas tank and some scratches on the tank and seat cowl, but for $2500 I'm not complaining. Bought a set of new tires for it, and got bar end mirrors and a new sidestand on the way. After that, I plan on getting new brake/clutch levers, a small windscreen, frame sliders, and maybe new grips.

I'm not gonna spend too much on it since it's my first bike. I figure once I get fed up with hard-to-find parts because it's a Ducati, I'll sell it and buy something made in this decade.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Just got home and unloaded my first motorcycle. A 1999 SV650 with a little under 35k miles. In good shape for the age and should be a good first street bike. Has M4 slip-on, corbin seat, heated grips, fender eliminator and a nice external helmet lock.

The VW hauled it better than I thought it would, only really had trouble on a couple hills. Borrowed the ramps from a friend at work and they worked great.

In the mighty VW after the 55 mile drive back to the apartment

Unloaded with the help of a neighbor and his friend

M4 slip on exhaust

Fender eliminator

Just took it on a short test drive in the big empty parking lot across the road. Bike feels great and now I know I made the right decision getting a bike and signing up for the MSF course.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 5, 2009

GodExtreme
Aug 8, 2008
My "New" bike:

My day bike:

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

GodExtreme posted:

My "New" bike:

What is this, an XT500 or something? What a cool beater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

There she is. I'm really digging my orange tank but those Mickey mouse mirrors need to go ASAP.