Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
# Country/Provider: USA / T-Mobile

# Current contract status: out of contract

# Budget (phone/plan): Not too sure yet

# Features I know I want: Touch screen, decent camera, actual keyboard is nice but not a deal breaker if it doesn't have one. 3G capable, also if it can be bought unlocked and used on T-Mo 3G network (I know they use a different frequency or something with their 3G so I don't know if that's possible)

Right now I'm eying the Hero and the Touch Pro 2 but I feel like there might be something better that I'm missing right now. And I know there's not exactly a perfect phone but I keep hearing negative stuff about the Hero and Pro 2. Apparently there's a lot of Windows Mobile hate which I don't understand and then the Hero has the same processor as the Magic, etc.

I like the iPhone, but I don't want to switch to AT&T if I can help it. So if someone could suggest a phone like the Hero or Pro 2 or maybe put my mind at ease about either of them I would appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

T-Mobile's 3G is on a weird proprietary frequency that's used nowhere else, and (to my knowledge) there are no unlocked phones sold yet that support it. Do we even know if T-Mo USA is getting the Hero? They just got the Magic (retardedly billed as "myTouch 3G"), so them carrying the Hero seems unlikely.

The Touch Pro 2 runs Windows Mobile which is going to be terrible. It's decent hardware but the processor is underpowered (same chip HTC's been using since 2008 on phones that it couldn't handle back then), and the OS is woefully inefficient and is just going to deliver a terrible experience for you.

Not sure what your hangup with AT&T is -- they suck, but T-Mobile sucks worse. If you live in NYC and know people who can't get a UMTS signal on AT&T to save their lives, then yeah, I can respect avoiding them for that.

If you're interested in the Hero, you'd save a bunch of money and have vastly superior 3G coverage by switching to Sprint and getting it with them.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
What's the cheapest possible plan I can get in order to fulfill the following (on any carrier except T=Mobile):

-Blackberry (all providers look to have nice new ones)
-Corporate BB Data Plan
-Minimum possible minutes
-Unlimited text

I'd normally never consider a BB, I've been on ATT for almost 7 years and don't have any issues with them in the area (currently using an E63 on family plan with $10 data), the only reason I'm getting the BB is I get reimbursed $75 + 21% final bill so it makes it a bit cheaper. Nonetheless I'm trying to bring the price down to the absolute minimum, after you look how much you spend over the life of a contract, it's sort of ridiculous.

This is how much I talk, I'm thinking 450 should be enough if I'm careful to keep any long talks after 9pm and weekends (something I don't do now).

I was in Europe in June.

problematique fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 12, 2009

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela

kalibar posted:

Words of wisdom

I just saw the Pro 2 review on Engadget and it didn't seem slow. Also, can you explain the WinMo hate? I've never had a phone with it, so I haven't tried it out.

As for AT&T, I have nothing against them, it's just that the only reason I have to switch to them would be the iPhone. T-Mobile has been good so far and I get a 15% discount on my bill with them (Hurray for college discount!). If AT&T does the same type of discount stuff, I may be inclined to jump ship.

I don't want to limit myself to just the Hero and the Pro 2 so if there are other phones like them I'd be interested.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Sprint has a deal where you can slap a 25% monthly service discount on their $70/month plan, which would give you unlimited text, unlimited 3G data, 7PM nights, and 500 anytime minutes for $52.50/month, easily the lowest price in wireless. They're getting the Hero in September, or you could get a Pre or Tour now for $1 and a free $175 credit when you port a number in using that horseshit-ridiculous promo in the coupons forum.

Windows Mobile is a slow, dated operating system that should have been euthanized three years ago -- the only reason it looks even remotely presetable on the TP2 is because HTC has piled tons of nice looking graphics on it to hide the OS's many visual inadequacies. Expect a sluggish UI that does a bad job differentiating between when it's lagging out on you and when it didn't register your input, expect a phone that periodically crashes either as a result of a program that was given more access than it should have been or just the OS's inability to stay stable and periodically talk to a cellphone tower, but most of all just expect a phone that doesn't respond to your finger like the iPhone/Pre/Hero/Magic do and expect to have to perform incredibly extensive troubleshooting and research to take advantage of features that "should" be easy. HTC has brought the OS a long way, but the turd needs to be torn down altogether.

If you don't already have some Windows Mobile-only software that you need to use for work or something, stay as far away from the platform as you can. 800x480 is neat, but the platform itself is a dirty lie.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Do you have more details on the 25% monthly fee discount for Sprint? Didn't that deal die, or is there a new one?

e: Thanks for the reply below, here are links
Alliant Credit Union 25% Sprint monthly service plans for members
Guide for joining the Alliant Credit Union

I was thinking of an older deal with the trucker's union or something, where "friends" and family got a similar deal. This was after they shut down their sweet "friends and families of our employees" deal. Thanks for the tip
(Now to determine whether Sprint is in fact getting the Hero in September)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 12, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Something about Alliance Credit Union. Details are buried within the Sprint thread, but last I heard it was still going.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

problematique posted:

What's the cheapest possible plan I can get in order to fulfill the following (on any carrier except T=Mobile):

-Blackberry (all providers look to have nice new ones)
-Corporate BB Data Plan
-Minimum possible minutes
-Unlimited text

I'd normally never consider a BB, I've been on ATT for almost 7 years and don't have any issues with them in the area (currently using an E63 on family plan with $10 data), the only reason I'm getting the BB is I get reimbursed $75 + 21% final bill so it makes it a bit cheaper. Nonetheless I'm trying to bring the price down to the absolute minimum, after you look how much you spend over the life of a contract, it's sort of ridiculous.

This is how much I talk, I'm thinking 450 should be enough if I'm careful to keep any long talks after 9pm and weekends (something I don't do now).

Sprint EPRP or with alliant discount is your best option. That leaves you with the option of getting a tour (since it sounds you must go BB). You could try for the pick 3 for the numbers you call most (if there are any with significantly more calls to them than others).

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I'm up for an upgrade when I renew my tmobile contract, and my Dash has ate the ghost, way way way out of warranty. I've got several choices:

1. The TMobile Dash 3g. familiar, similar to my last phone, I liked the Dash I had, but I feel like there are better options out there.

2. HTC Touch Pro 2. brand new phone, it's flashy, it has a touchscreen, it might be awesome? I've heard things about it not having enough processing power to do anything.

3. TMobile myTouch 3g. Looks very similar to the Touch Pro 2, has GPS?

4. TMobile G1 with Google. Everyone says this sucks.

I use my phone for business, so it needs email, web access, good bluetooth compatibility and syncs easily with a computer (I have a Mac laptop). Having a real web display is nice, I hate the way the Dash displays websites, and I want either a touchscreen or full qwerty keypad.

Money is no object. What should I go for? I don't want to pay almost twice as much for the Touch Pro 2 if it sucks, and the TMobile customer support people are no help.

edit: oops, i almost forgot, it needs to be reasonably durable. My Dash lasted me two years, so I don't beat the poo poo out of them, but they do ride in my pocket with coins and poo poo, although that's a habit I'm willing to change.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 14, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm up for an upgrade when I renew my tmobile contract, and my Dash has ate the ghost, way way way out of warranty. I've got several choices:

1. The TMobile Dash 3g. familiar, similar to my last phone, I liked the Dash I had, but I feel like there are better options out there.

2. HTC Touch Pro 2. brand new phone, it's flashy, it has a touchscreen, it might be awesome? I've heard things about it not having enough processing power to do anything.

3. TMobile myTouch 3g. Looks very similar to the Touch Pro 2, has GPS?

4. TMobile G1 with Google. Everyone says this sucks.

I use my phone for business, so it needs email, web access, good bluetooth compatibility and syncs easily with a computer (I have a Mac laptop). Having a real web display is nice, I hate the way the Dash displays websites, and I want either a touchscreen or full qwerty keypad.

Money is no object. What should I go for? I don't want to pay almost twice as much for the Touch Pro 2 if it sucks, and the TMobile customer support people are no help.

Windows Mobile is godawful if you want to try to sync it with a Mac. The best way I know of is set up a Google account if you don't already have one, set up Google Sync as ActiveSync (which is supported). Windows Mobile is also a terrible OS and should only be recommended to people with experience with it. WM Pro (touchscreen WM) is a whole different beast than WM Standard (what you had on your Dash). The MyTouch is a nice phone but it won't sync with Outlook. :psyduck: It does support Exchange and it offers a bigger battery than the G1.

I would recommend the BlackBerry Curve 8900 if you're going to use your phone for business. RIM, the people who make the BlackBerry are finally coming out with Desktop Manager for Mac which is how you manage your BB and its info on your computer. BlackBerrys are true business phones. If you need to sync with work e-mail, ask your IT guys if they have a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. It'll be $30/month instead of $25/month but that's a steal for BES ($45/month on AT&T and Verizon). If you don't need to sync with work e-mail or your work e-mail is a standard public e-mail account (i.e. Gmail or Yahoo) then you'll be fine. It's well worth it because BES is unstoppable for business usage. If you have coworkers who say that their BBs sync with work e-mail then your company has a BES server. So go with the 8900, but first inquire into BES with your IT department.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Thanks for the advice. Just a couple clarifications:

1. I'm pretty familiar with the shortcomings and problems with the Windows Mobile OS. I also use Missing Sync and it does the trick. I don't need a phone to sync with Outlook actually, as a result, since I do not use it.

2. The blackberry is almost TOO business oriented for me. I say I use my phone for work, but my work is film production, so I don't have an IT department, and "using it for work" usually means a couple email accounts, a lot of text messages, an easy to use calendar, alarms, and watching various videos (of reels, trailers, dailies, etc.) The video thing is actually something the Dash wouldn't do. I had a Pearl for a while, I didn't really like it, I especially hated the two letter per button thing.

Fake edit: check that though, the curve looks pretty bad rear end...does it have 3G, or does it have the abysmally slow 9600 baud modem or whatever's in the dash/pearl? I also worry that the display screen is too small for watching video. Lastly, does it support flash or any other streaming video?

Thanks again for your help.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The Curve 8900 is slow 2G (EDGE) just like the Dash and Pearl. If you want a 3G BlackBerry, check out the brand new BB Tour on Sprint -- you can get a ridiculous all-encompassing plan with 7PM nights, unlimited BlackBerry data, unlimited SMS, and 500 minutes for $52.50/month using the credit union discount discussed in the Sprint thread. Best possible BlackBerry arrangement in the United States.

Sprint's even running a bonkers-fuckin'-stupid deal right now where they'll give you a Tour for $1 with signup and give you another $175 in service credit for porting your number over. Details in SA's coupons forum.

Many of WM Pro's shortcomings pertain to the crappy, resistive touchscreens used for a large portion of input on them. The TP2 is the finest WinMo Pro specimen we've seen yet, but it's "lipstick on a pig," as they say.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Thanks for the advice. Just a couple clarifications:

1. I'm pretty familiar with the shortcomings and problems with the Windows Mobile OS. I also use Missing Sync and it does the trick. I don't need a phone to sync with Outlook actually, as a result, since I do not use it.

2. The blackberry is almost TOO business oriented for me. I say I use my phone for work, but my work is film production, so I don't have an IT department, and "using it for work" usually means a couple email accounts, a lot of text messages, an easy to use calendar, alarms, and watching various videos (of reels, trailers, dailies, etc.) The video thing is actually something the Dash wouldn't do. I had a Pearl for a while, I didn't really like it, I especially hated the two letter per button thing.

Fake edit: check that though, the curve looks pretty bad rear end...does it have 3G, or does it have the abysmally slow 9600 baud modem or whatever's in the dash/pearl? I also worry that the display screen is too small for watching video. Lastly, does it support flash or any other streaming video?

Thanks again for your help.

EDGE is the 8900's cellular connection. It sucks even though there are idiots that try to defend it over on CrackBerry. "blahblahblah wi-fi is good enough for me!" If you don't want to deal with EDGE, you'll be going over to Sprint and getting the Tour. But the Tour doesn't have Wi-Fi.

WM Pro sucks because the OS is a joke when it comes to using it with a finger, not a stylus. The TP2 is the best yet but HTC can only go so far with TouchFLO 3D. It's got a responsive resistive screen but that doesn't compare to a mediocre capacitive screen.

Cornflake
Jun 22, 2005
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Bio Aqua Do Loop
# Country/Provider: US/ATT

# Current contract status: Family Plan, out of contract

# Budget (phone/plan): $200-$300

# Features: I want a QWERTY keypad, possibly touchscreen, decent multimedia playback (mainly MP3). Decent camera is a plus. Don't want an iPhone. I really like the HTC Fuze on paper because I think it has everything I need/want. The main thing I want out of my phone is the ability to text. I love texting. My girlfriend has the G1 which I like, but its T-Mobile, so the closest thing I could find to it was the Fuze. I really want a 4/5 row QWERTY keypad. Slightly flexible on the budget.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Cornflake posted:

fuze

If you're going with the fuze wait till att releases its version of the touch pro 2 its better by miles.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
#Country/Provider: USA, ATT (willing to switch)
#Current contract status: 5 months remaining.
#Budget (phone/plan): up to $300 for phone w/ new contract. Less than $70/mo for plan (Very few minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text)
#Features: Smartphone type features like calendar, email, and so on. GPS. Tethering, whether through third party program or not doesn't matter as long as I don't have to pay extra. Would be a plus to have decent music capabilities and either 4gb+ of internal memory or an expansion slot.

I'd prefer an android phone, but then I might as well wait for the Hero to be released in the US. That probably just answered my own recommendation request, but if anyone else has any good ones I'm all ears.

porksmash fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 18, 2009

cashmerelc
Aug 18, 2009
* Country/Provider: US / T-Mobile No data or texting plan.

* Current contract status: In the middle of a 2yr Contract

* Budget: Less than $100

* Features I know I want: Just a solid phone that will work. I'm buying the phone for someone else and I am cheap and don't want to spend a lot of money. I just need a reliable phone. I was looking at the Motorola Renew. Anyone used one/have any suggestions?

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009
# Country/Provider: Canada.

# Current contract status: Zilch

# Budget (phone/plan): I don't really know.

# Features I know I want: To be able to call people. And probably text people.

So I'm starting university this fall and I need a cell phone for all the numbers from hot chicks I'm going to get. :mmmhmm:

More seriously, I've never owned a phone or had anything to do with one, so I'm at a bit of a loss. From poking about in some threads in here, I found out that Rogers apparently has the best coverage in Ontario, where I will be at uni, and that I shouldn't sign a contract for 1 or 2 years but only go by months. I also have absolutely no loving clue how much I'll be talking/texting. I guess this means it would make more sense for me to get a pay as you go type of thing, at least until I know how much I'll be using it. I don't plan on getting a new phone every 6 months like some people I know, so being able to change phones often isn't really a big deal.

Also, I'm not poor, but I don't want to spend too much either. But really, I don't know how much is reasonable. I'd like to keep it under a couple hundred a year, if thats feasible. Thanks in advance to all you knowledgeable people!

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Canada/Ontario
Rogers

Ok so I'm buying a phone tomorrow before I leave to uni again.

HTC Dream or Apple 3G (not 3gs)?

I currently have an ipod and use itunes for music and have a macbook pro for a laptop, although desktop is a pc.

They both have similar features and both of the keyboards are ok. I customized my ipod a bit with a custom background and custom icons and I like that a lot. I'm going to be:

texting
taking pictures
phone calls
music listening transfered from my itunes
custom background pictures
video recording
additional application for working out at gym
email to my gmail account AND business account

The problem with me making a decision is they are both so similar, they can both do practically everything I'm wanting and both start at similar prices (I'm going for a 3 year plan)

$99 for iphone 3g
$ 89 for htc dream with 8gb data card for it

Also I want a case so it doesn't get broken so iphone gets a +1 for it's case selection. And everyone has an iphone... which makes it nice when I let other people listen to music or make a call they will know how without having to ask.

Suggestions that can help me make my mind before tomorrow?

[b][edit] After reading a few reviews, I've realized that the phone doesn't have a 3mm jack for a headphone so it blows and I'm getting an iphone 3g since the 3gs is sold out, is only "faster" and costs $100 more with a $30 more expensive base plan.

Alizee fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 23, 2009

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
I wonder what part of the globe you're in and what carrier you're speaking of -- this is the first I've ever heard of the 3GS having a pricier data plan than a 3g and I'm afraid you may have been given bad info.

What you're getting for the $100 in 3g -> 3gs is a snappier overall experience, video recording, and the ability to do things with the compass like special "augmented reality" apps (google it). Overall a pretty great upgrade for $100.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Steinbeck posted:

I wonder what part of the globe you're in and what carrier you're speaking of -- this is the first I've ever heard of the 3GS having a pricier data plan than a 3g and I'm afraid you may have been given bad info.

What you're getting for the $100 in 3g -> 3gs is a snappier overall experience, video recording, and the ability to do things with the compass like special "augmented reality" apps (google it). Overall a pretty great upgrade for $100.

Err I don't know the specifics, but I went to rogers and picked up their brochure on the iphone and it had a $70 a month plan in there minimum when buying the iphone 3gs.

I went to bestbuy and was looking at getting the 3g a while later and they showed me that basic dataplans for that and the htc were both $45 a month.

That's where I came up with the cheaper thing.

Man, I didn't know the 3g didn't record video. If that's the case I might have to wait longer to get a phone that isn't terrible =(

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
Godzilla07 and Kalibar,

Thank you

With G's advice and K's follow up, I'm now paying $30/mo for more than I was getting with AT&T and the iPhone. I ended up grabbing a Samsung Rant, and it's a fun little phone. Course I miss the big screen and Safari-ness of the iPhone, but I'm happy with what I've got now.

Thank you for the advice.

My experience:

The guy-with-the-plan (from whom I purchased a SERO 500 plan) called Sprint, and was informed I would have to create an account with them before we could transfer his plan over to me. Just an account, no plan and no phone. I'm not sure that this is actually possible, but the CSR I spoke with did his best.

As soon as I paypal'd the guy-with-the-plan, I called Sprint, spoke with a different CSR, who informed me that UH OH, hey, I hope that other account you created with the previous CSR is not active yet, otherwise I can't transfer this plan.

Turns out, for whatever reason, previous account was not active and the current CSR was able to transfer the guy-with-the-plan's plan to me under a new account.

So, I was left confused, but happy that it worked out in the end. Transferring my number from AT&T to Sprint took about 24 hours and a few phone calls.

Thank you again.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

K posted:

So, I was left confused, but happy that it worked out in the end.
This right here should be Sprint's ad pitch.

Glad to hear we were able to help, and keep in mind that there are a few phones with smartphone features that work on your plan. The HTC Touch Diamond, for instance, while nowhere near as elegant as the iPhone from a software point of view will still give you a lot of high-end features. 3.2 megapixel autofocus camera, high-rez 640x480 2.8" touchscreen, and the ability to surreptitiously tether Sprint's 3G internet to your laptop wirelessly over the phone's WiFi at no additional monthly cost.

If stability is your top concern though, you probably did okay with the Rant.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Cornflake posted:

# Current contract status: Family Plan, out of contract

# Budget (phone/plan): $200-$300

# Features: I want a QWERTY keypad, possibly touchscreen, decent multimedia playback (mainly MP3). Decent camera is a plus. Don't want an iPhone. I really like the HTC Fuze on paper because I think it has everything I need/want. The main thing I want out of my phone is the ability to text. I love texting. My girlfriend has the G1 which I like, but its T-Mobile, so the closest thing I could find to it was the Fuze. I really want a 4/5 row QWERTY keypad. Slightly flexible on the budget.

This is pretty much exactly the situation my girlfriend is in. She has the same plan/budget and is looking for something with a QWERTY keyboard and the ability to simultaneously text and listen to MP3s.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

# Current contract status: Contract over oct. 16

# Budget (phone/plan): Unsure/keep it under 60/mo. if possible

# Features: I want a QWERTY keypad, possibly data/nav, and texts. Myfaves type ability if possible (unless I get a verizon plan).

I'm going to Europe somewhat soon (~3 weeks). I currently have a quite lovely gophone as I got tired of my other phone breaking. It's only GSM850/1900, so I doubt it will work in all the places I plan to go.

I'm basically torn between getting a junker quad-band unlocked phone for a couple months and going for the $1 phone referral seen in the coupons forum and getting a Sprint BB tour (I'm not really sure I want a BB, I'd much rather get an android phone like the InstinctQ or Hero when sprint launches them). Would it be worth it to hop carriers so close to the end of my contract, even though it'd mean I get a (nice) phone I'm not all that crazy for?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tedronai66 posted:

# Current contract status: Contract over oct. 16

# Budget (phone/plan): Unsure/keep it under 60/mo. if possible

# Features: I want a QWERTY keypad, possibly data/nav, and texts. Myfaves type ability if possible (unless I get a verizon plan).

I'm going to Europe somewhat soon (~3 weeks). I currently have a quite lovely gophone as I got tired of my other phone breaking. It's only GSM850/1900, so I doubt it will work in all the places I plan to go.

I'm basically torn between getting a junker quad-band unlocked phone for a couple months and going for the $1 phone referral seen in the coupons forum and getting a Sprint BB tour (I'm not really sure I want a BB, I'd much rather get an android phone like the InstinctQ or Hero when sprint launches them). Would it be worth it to hop carriers so close to the end of my contract, even though it'd mean I get a (nice) phone I'm not all that crazy for?

Sprint doesn't work in Europe (almost nowhere uses CDMA there). There are CDMA phones with GSM radios specifically for international use, but these are generally overpriced.

Now's a bad time to make a decision anyway, with the pressure of trip planning on you. Wait until you get back to switch plans - and when you go, you might as well just get their equivalent of a lovely gophone anyway and tell people to call that number, because international roaming costs will make your existing gophone look even shittier.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Tedronai66: I definitely understand where you're coming from, but the key piece here is that we don't know how long that $1-any-phone deal is going to last. That's a pretty batshit non-public deal and merits taking advantage of (especially if you can get Sprint to pay you $175 for porting your number on top of that). The Tour is a pretty pro cellphone and will retain a lot of value as long as it's still the king of CDMA BlackBerrys -- you should be able to sell it and pay for a pretty big chunk of Sprint's HTC Hero when the time comes. Hell, who knows, you may find that you enjoy the (admittedly awesome) BlackBerry form factor, keyboard, and headphone jack in spite of software deficiencies.

Not sure why Sir Unimaginative is "warning" you about CDMA since you pretty specifically mentioned a Sprint BlackBerry with world GSM support.

Are you going to be back in Europe anytime in the forseeable future? The forthcoming Android Sprint phones probably won't have GSM support, so if it's something you might use again you'll want to consider sticking with AT&T.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

kalibar posted:

Tedronai66: I definitely understand where you're coming from, but the key piece here is that we don't know how long that $1-any-phone deal is going to last. That's a pretty batshit non-public deal and merits taking advantage of (especially if you can get Sprint to pay you $175 for porting your number on top of that). The Tour is a pretty pro cellphone and will retain a lot of value as long as it's still the king of CDMA BlackBerrys -- you should be able to sell it and pay for a pretty big chunk of Sprint's HTC Hero when the time comes. Hell, who knows, you may find that you enjoy the (admittedly awesome) BlackBerry form factor, keyboard, and headphone jack in spite of software deficiencies.

Not sure why Sir Unimaginative is "warning" you about CDMA since you pretty specifically mentioned a Sprint BlackBerry with world GSM support.

Are you going to be back in Europe anytime in the forseeable future? The forthcoming Android Sprint phones probably won't have GSM support, so if it's something you might use again you'll want to consider sticking with AT&T.

I know it's a batshit-insane deal. It's the main reason I'm considering it. Esp. with ETF being paid in terms of credits.

The reason I'm going to Europe is for my honeymoon. But we do plan to travel there in the future (though how far ahead, I cannot say, but likely >= 18 months from now, when we have money and vacation time again).

Sticking with AT&T is pretty much not an option for me. I'm sick of the horrible call quality/network (I've experienced it on more than just my crappy gophone, even phones that supposedly have great reception), and the pricing. Sprints pricing is also attractive to me (I can get the alliant discount, I think; Though some people in the coupons thread haven't needed it, it seems), as for $7-15 more than what I pay now, I can have unlimited data/nav/texts.

I'd consider TMo as well, though their pricing irks me somewhat.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah I mean as long as you're cool picking up a cheap GSM phone the next time you go to Europe (presuming you aren't still carrying the BB Tour at that point), I think you'll be fine. Sprint's got the best network and the best prices in the U.S., and if you can find an acceptable phone with them you're good to go.

You might wait until October when your contract expires, though -- unless AT&T somehow put you on the declining ETF plan. It would be a sweet arrangement to get $175 from Sprint and avoid the $175 charge from AT&T.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
* Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

* Current contract status: Not in one, just finished a 2yr one with ATT

* Budget: $50 or less a month.

* Features I know I want: Currently using a Samsung SYNC. All I really need is a small amount of minutes to call out with and about 1000 texts. New phones don't really matter that much to me. I'd consider going into a contract again if it's cheaper, but pay-as-you-go is looking better and better.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
* Country/Provider: USA/Centennial

* Current contract status: Expiring on September 18

* Budget (phone/plan): Looking for a family plan that costs under 150 total

* Features I know I want: Looking for a service with a good family plan. Something that for three phones won't break the bank. Only my phone will be using data, while the other two will be using a minimum of minutes/texts. So really, it's just one phone with full features and the others with the basics. So far, as much I dislike sprint, they look to have the best plans price wise. I'm willing to move to any major company, as Centennial is being bought out by sprint in three weeks.

Though an iPhone looks very tasty if only the thirty dollar date plan wasn't such a turn off.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Wegee posted:

* Country/Provider: USA/Centennial

* Current contract status: Expiring on September 18

* Budget (phone/plan): Looking for a family plan that costs under 150 total

* Features I know I want: Looking for a service with a good family plan. Something that for three phones won't break the bank. Only my phone will be using data, while the other two will be using a minimum of minutes/texts. So really, it's just one phone with full features and the others with the basics. So far, as much I dislike sprint, they look to have the best plans price wise. I'm willing to move to any major company, as Centennial is being bought out by sprint in three weeks.

Though an iPhone looks very tasty if only the thirty dollar date plan wasn't such a turn off.

If cost is your number one, you're right on with Sprint. Look into EPRP (discount plan in the Sprint thread). A three line family plan will be $40/month per line with unlimited text and data on every line. The Blackberry Tour and Palm Pre are their two best smartphones. They are not iPhones, but you already know what those cost and what you can afford. If you must have an iPhone there isn't much that's going to scratch that itch exactly the same way.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006

900ftjesus posted:

If cost is your number one, you're right on with Sprint. Look into EPRP (discount plan in the Sprint thread). A three line family plan will be $40/month per line with unlimited text and data on every line. The Blackberry Tour and Palm Pre are their two best smartphones. They are not iPhones, but you already know what those cost and what you can afford. If you must have an iPhone there isn't much that's going to scratch that itch exactly the same way.

Unfortunately, it appears that the EPRP plan isn't available in my area, or even available in the fairly large city only ten miles away. I just recently looked into it and despite having excellent sprint coverage, we still don't qualify for the plan.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

* Current contract status: Done. Have been using a 400 daytime minutes plan and never got anywhere near using that up.

* Budget (phone/plan): Prefer a family plan for two for <= $100/mo. Willing to buy our own phones. I'd say $500 for the pool, but that's a stretch. It would be hard to motivate paying more than $250 individually for either phone. Depends on the long-term cost. I don't change phones so I have no problem riding a contract.

* Features I know I want: One phone can be whatever, really, but should be tolerable for texting. The other one would be my doodad. I want a qwerty keyboard, internet access, and GPS. It should be easy and free to develop my own software for the phone if I'm so inclined. I'm starting to understand all the texting stuff as I send more and more text messages, so I think I'd rather have basically mobile Internet. Still, the phone shouldn't be a massive brick. I have a Cingular 8125 right now and it annoys me. For multimedia all I might do is play mp3s if it can do it better than my Sansa.

I'm curious how I might be able save buying the phone up front. As I understand it, not getting tied to a contract means choice for moving on to a new phone or new provider right away, but I don't see how I could save if I was going to sit on the same phone and probably the same plan for awhile.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

* Current contract status: Done. Have been using a 400 daytime minutes plan and never got anywhere near using that up.

* Budget (phone/plan): Prefer a family plan for two for <= $100/mo. Willing to buy our own phones. I'd say $500 for the pool, but that's a stretch. It would be hard to motivate paying more than $250 individually for either phone. Depends on the long-term cost. I don't change phones so I have no problem riding a contract.

* Features I know I want: One phone can be whatever, really, but should be tolerable for texting. The other one would be my doodad. I want a qwerty keyboard, internet access, and GPS. It should be easy and free to develop my own software for the phone if I'm so inclined. I'm starting to understand all the texting stuff as I send more and more text messages, so I think I'd rather have basically mobile Internet. Still, the phone shouldn't be a massive brick. I have a Cingular 8125 right now and it annoys me. For multimedia all I might do is play mp3s if it can do it better than my Sansa.

I'm curious how I might be able save buying the phone up front. As I understand it, not getting tied to a contract means choice for moving on to a new phone or new provider right away, but I don't see how I could save if I was going to sit on the same phone and probably the same plan for awhile.

If you're serious about developing for smartphones: Go with an iphone or winmo device.

Winmo is an emergent market (and as far as I know, smaller than the iphone mobile app footprint)

I could be way off on this (totally gay for the iphone) but if you're worried about the developer fee, you can always test your chops in the jailbroke cydia world of apps (now more than ever a relevant community of grey market app developers)

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Wegee posted:

Unfortunately, it appears that the EPRP plan isn't available in my area, or even available in the fairly large city only ten miles away. I just recently looked into it and despite having excellent sprint coverage, we still don't qualify for the plan.

You could always try for the Alliant discount, which would end up making your monthly bill lower than even EPRP.

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

Motherfuckers, If it says 55 drive 55.
Country/Provider:

USA/ATT

Current contract status:

I'm part of a family plan so I'm pretty locked into ATT

Budget (phone/plan):

$500, but I'm willing to pay more or less for what I want.

Features I know I want:

QWERTY keyboard (preferably a real keyboard), full internet browser, touchscreen, international friendly, headphone plug, very long battery life.

I want a smartphone. I really don't want an iphone. Is it possible to get a G1 on ATT? Would it be recommended over a Palm/Blackberry/HTC?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
# Country/Provider: US/T-mobile

# Current contract status: Contract over

# Budget (phone/plan): $250/ Cheapest possible plan with unlimited data & text. 200 min a month is more than enough talk

# Features: I want a QWERTY keypad, GPS, and a touch screen with a great display.

Right now I think buying a SERO plan (didn't even know you could buy a plan until today) and a used HTC PRO is the way to go. Is there any reason NOT to do this? I do travel internationally once or twice a year so the CDMA bugs me a bit, but not much.

I am not a cell phone person (still using a 5 year old RAZR) so assume I am stupid and know very little about all of this.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

mCpwnage posted:

Country/Provider:

USA/ATT

Current contract status:

I'm part of a family plan so I'm pretty locked into ATT

Budget (phone/plan):

$500, but I'm willing to pay more or less for what I want.

Features I know I want:

QWERTY keyboard (preferably a real keyboard), full internet browser, touchscreen, international friendly, headphone plug, very long battery life.

I want a smartphone. I really don't want an iphone. Is it possible to get a G1 on ATT? Would it be recommended over a Palm/Blackberry/HTC?

G1 Will keep you pretty much locked to edge data on AT&T, as T-mo uses a different 3g frequency. That, and it's fairly gimpy on the processor/memory/ROM size.

In a smartphone, I wonder what your expectations are for "very long battery life", esp. once you take 3g data, the (assumed) bigger touch screen, etc. you really eat up the battery.

I'm not sure if there's a phone that fits all your criteria, unless there's a GSM Palm Pre you could import come Christmas-time (http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/07/get-on-your-party-hats-gsm-palm-pre-hitting-o2-and-movistar/ )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Steinbeck posted:

If you're serious about developing for smartphones: Go with an iphone or winmo device.

Winmo is an emergent market (and as far as I know, smaller than the iphone mobile app footprint)

I could be way off on this (totally gay for the iphone) but if you're worried about the developer fee, you can always test your chops in the jailbroke cydia world of apps (now more than ever a relevant community of grey market app developers)
I suppose I should have elaborated. The applications I'd write would only be for myself for my own use for specific purposes. So I'm more interested in how easy it is to throw together something I don't intend to sell, rather than in the potential customer exposure I could have from a polished application. I know the customer app would be the normal route there, but not for me.

I'm still trying to sort out if there's an advantage to buying the phone up front in that instance. I saw the post about buying up front and it seems to be about freedom of switching to a new phone or provider, but I wondered if there was an incentive if I intend to stay with one provider and phone anyways.