Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cuntpunch posted:

Today was the first day since I bought my 2009 5-door Impreza 2.5i that it rained hard enough for me to consider the road at least somewhat tricky. So I took the long way home and attempted to get VDC to turn on, even for a second, because I really didn't believe it even possible.

I accelerated aggressively, I cornered aggressively, all of this on the lovely stock Potenza RE92's. No matter what I did, the car still handled like it was on dry pavement and never once did the VDC even flicker on. I failed, and yet I felt really good about failing.

Throw me the keys for a few minutes. The VDC wont know WTF hit it. Neither will your lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

69sofine posted:

Is it odd for the tires and steering wheel feel like they're shaking if I'm taking a turn just in neutral?

A: why are you taking turns in neutral?

B: yes, probably.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Cat Terrist posted:

Throw me the keys for a few minutes. The VDC wont know WTF hit it. Neither will your lunch.

To be fair I really wasn't planning on attempting anything I was nearly certain would be dangerous or bordlerline mad - but the speeds and angles I was cornering at in the rain would have left the rear end of my old GTI sliding around in a scary way.

It's just comforting and fun to be back in AWD, coming from LSD'd FWD.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Dr JonboyG posted:

A: why are you taking turns in neutral?

B: yes, probably.

A: Sometimes if I'm parking I just put it into neutral and turn into a spot.

B: Dang

Sadly my WRX probably needs a bit of work. :<

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!
I just wanted to post an update to my situation, they ripped apart my car to find out that 3rd and 4th gear showed "abnormal wear" and this caused the transmission to freeze, by some loving magic. They proceeded to scold me about leaving my hand on the shifter, which i don't do and make sure I knew I was a very bad boy for having bad driving habits.

In the end the warranty is going to cover the repairs but the dealership doesn't need to take the position that I'm a child who needed to be told not to be mean to my car. Once I have my car back I'm finding some way to write a nasty letter to SoA regarding the customer service level and the attitude this dealership has taken towards me. I seriously have the feeling they stereotyped me because I'm under 30 and I own a Subaru, so I must abuse it at every turn. If I had any modifications done they probably would have used that to deny my claim.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Still looking for a car...

2000 Subaru Impreza RS2.5 113K miles.

The timing belt has been replaced, is there anything else to look for on the 2.5's that should be taken care of, head gaskets or other?

Thanks

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

slowspeedracer posted:

Still looking for a car...

2000 Subaru Impreza RS2.5 113K miles.

The timing belt has been replaced, is there anything else to look for on the 2.5's that should be taken care of, head gaskets or other?

Thanks

Head gaskets of that era on 2.5 NA motors are a common failure. Pretty easy to see if it's happened, just look in the radiator (if it's cool) or the coolant overflow. You should see only coolant, if there's oil then at least one of the headgaskets is blown.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
yeah unless the person selling it just put in fresh coolant like what happened to me.

Anyway they're the best looking subaru ever at least.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

I had to pass on a couple of RS Coupes this Spring because the sellers couldn't provide any proof of having the HG's taken care of and they were of an age that it was going to be time that they would have either failed or were soon to. Paying the premium cost for an RS Coupe and then having an unexpected HG replacement wasn't my idea of a fun purchase.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I am thinking about getting one of those canvas wallets in SA mart and think a bugeye WRX drifting around a dirt trail would be awesome. Would prefer it to be silver but I have photoshop so its not an absolute requirement. Anyone got a picture like this?

EDIT:
Heres one:

More is better.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 22, 2009

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Once again, going to look at an old Subaru today in hopes of something to tinker on / rallycross if I'm comfortable enough with the condition.

1992 Subaru Legacy - chrome handles on the door indicates a base-level trim. But AWD is still possible according to Wikipedia.

Any points to look for? I know the standard rust / bodywork / electrical, but and particular troublespots on the 2.2L?

Thanks much :)

edit: It appears to check out generally speaking, sans a bit of an oil leak. Any suggestions for common spots of oil leaking?

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 22, 2009

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

RealKyleH posted:

I am thinking about getting one of those canvas wallets in SA mart and think a bugeye WRX drifting around a dirt trail would be awesome. Would prefer it to be silver but I have photoshop so its not an absolute requirement. Anyone got a picture like this?

EDIT:
Heres one:

More is better.

Not my pictures. And you should probably ask him if he is cool with it. Or at least buy one of his posters.

http://kylefunsten.com/photos/prints/

Oh, wait you wanted bugeyes. Funnily enough, I think he has pictures of all the other years.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

I am welcoming myself to the Subaru club. Picked this up today.
2000 Impreza RS

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

woops, big pic.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

slowspeedracer posted:

I am welcoming myself to the Subaru club. Picked this up today.
2000 Impreza RS

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

woops, big pic.

Welcome to the RS club. That car looks pretty darn clean.

I also wanted an excuse to post with my new Subaru related avatar of my RS.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Here are the stats on the new ride.

2000 RS 2.5 113,000 miles 5 speed
already has 4 pot wrx calipers and the car is cleaner then my 03' Nissan spec V I sold on Monday.

The good: Timing belt changed 1,000 miles ago. Perrins stab bars, short throw shifter,STi springs. Does not smell funny. 2 sets of wheels and tires both with 90% tread.
The bad: Original head gaskets, one set of tires are R compound tires...

I knew it had been flogged on a bit...

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

slowspeedracer posted:

The bad: Original head gaskets

Better get to fixing that or saving to be able to fund the repair when things do go. If you were to be really masochistic, most dealerships would be able to do it for like 2 grand. An independent shop would, obviously, be much cheaper.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

i took the opportunity to replace everything.

Headgaskets
timing belt
tensioner and idlers
water pump
all the oil seals and gaskets in the motor

The parts were about $600 and I did it myself over the course of two evenings, and had never put together a motor on my own before.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jamal posted:

i took the opportunity to replace everything.

Headgaskets
timing belt
tensioner and idlers
water pump
all the oil seals and gaskets in the motor

The parts were about $600 and I did it myself over the course of two evenings, and had never put together a motor on my own before.

Tell me more. I'm considering the same project once I move into my new garage. Did you pull the engine?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yes. Pictures are in my thread, which is now in the archives. gently caress.

Also they're here:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=36617

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
Just thought I would share a picture of my new ride:

First time I've owned a car that a). doesn't drive like a brick and b). has a stick shift. Upgraded from a '93 Volvo 850 (N/A). I'm in love :3:

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

UncleSkunk posted:

First time I've owned a car that a). doesn't drive like a brick and b). has a stick shift. Upgraded from a '93 Volvo 850 (N/A). I'm in love :3:

:hellyeah: sup N/A 850 to turbo Subaru buddy! Night and day difference. Although I do sort of miss that neat sound of the inline five.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Can I change the head gaskets without removing the engine from the car?

slowspeedracer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 24, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
You could but it would be significantly easier to remove the engine and put it on a stand.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Slow is Fast posted:

Welcome to the RS club. That car looks pretty darn clean.

I also wanted an excuse to post with my new Subaru related avatar of my RS.

Is that one MBP in your avatar?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

69sofine posted:

Is that one MBP in your avatar?

Blue Ridge Pearl

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

UncleSkunk posted:

Nice WRX, I love the new front grill on the '09s, it looks awesome.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Just called around and the cheapest OTD price for a center diff is $510. Add in a fluid replacement, gaskets if they're not included, probably gonna come out around $570. I hope it doesn't seem like I am ignoring good advice here but money is tight for the next 2 months or so.

Is the viscous coupling in the center diff failing something that putting in really good fluid might help? At the very least for a few months until I put in several mods I have laying around and am dropping $$$ on it anyway?

EDIT:
P.S. I love that the few dedicated Subaru guys in this thread are better at diagnosing things than the entirety of NASIOC based on what I found in Google. I should probably become a member there, or some Subaru board so I can know this car like I did my Mark VIII but eh.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 25, 2009

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
If you can filter information efficiently and sift through all the poo poo, there is an assload of knowledge on NASIOC based on the sheer number of people there, and how long it's been around.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Slow is Fast posted:

Blue Ridge Pearl

Nice. MBP bugeye owner here.
I hate the fact that it's impossible to find parts in any color except for WRB though.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

69sofine posted:

Nice. MBP bugeye owner here.
I hate the fact that it's impossible to find parts in any color except for WRB though.

I feel your pain. Nearly all my panels have scratches or dents on them. For shits and giggles I tried to find a BRP hood, that didn't go well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RealKyleH posted:

Just called around and the cheapest OTD price for a center diff is $510. Add in a fluid replacement, gaskets if they're not included, probably gonna come out around $570. I hope it doesn't seem like I am ignoring good advice here but money is tight for the next 2 months or so.

$507 < Replacement Transmission which is what I had to do after letting my center diff go too long.

quote:

Is the viscous coupling in the center diff failing something that putting in really good fluid might help? At the very least for a few months until I put in several mods I have laying around and am dropping $$$ on it anyway?

No, the VC is a sealed unit (normally, unless it explodes like mine did). So, new gear oil won't do anything for it and if it's already started to come apart (like the retaining clip mentioned coming off) gear oil isn't going to do anything to protect the rest of the transmission internals from metal fragments.

The only thing the gear oil change can do right now is tell you more about how bad things may be. Change it and check for metal shavings. They should stick on the plug because it's magnetic. If there's anything more than some dust from normal wear, take it to get repaired and park it. Also look at the color the gear oil. Since it doesn't interact with the kinds of heat and contamination engine oil does, it should still look pretty good. If it's looks anything like engine oil after a normal change (black or nearly black) it's good sign that the VC has leaked and the oil is contaminated with silicon fluid.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 26, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
The tranny fluid is light like hydraulic fluid or gear oil should be, I checked it at a couple points throughout my recent road trip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's good at least, but I just wouldn't put it off because the alternative is much worse.

My diff bound exactly twice before it decided to eject the retaining clip into the transfer gears and once that happens, you are looking at repairs into the thousands rather than hundreds.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to fire suppression systems. Could anyone provide me some insight into what the best route would be for an 02 WRX? I'm figuring I can put just about anything in there but any input from someone who has even a modicum of experience would be greatly appreciated.

I've been eyeballing this: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=5625

I've just had such poo poo luck with my car I figure 500 bucks is worth the piece of mind. Yes my paranoia is partially fueled by the recent video floating around of the JDM Spec-C WRX on fire. I do realize it's like 1/1000000 chance of happening to me but it's also a small chance that I would have a coolant line failure and a blown headgasket on a brand new built engine within the first 1300 miles of operation but I've experienced those. I'm relatively sure my car is cursed.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Slow is Fast posted:

I feel your pain. Nearly all my panels have scratches or dents on them. For shits and giggles I tried to find a BRP hood, that didn't go well.

I guess the only choice is to replace all your panels with some CF. All CF cars are cool right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

"[ELP posted:

"]
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to fire suppression systems. Could anyone provide me some insight into what the best route would be for an 02 WRX? I'm figuring I can put just about anything in there but any input from someone who has even a modicum of experience would be greatly appreciated.

I've been eyeballing this: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=5625

I've just had such poo poo luck with my car I figure 500 bucks is worth the piece of mind. Yes my paranoia is partially fueled by the recent video floating around of the JDM Spec-C WRX on fire. I do realize it's like 1/1000000 chance of happening to me but it's also a small chance that I would have a coolant line failure and a blown headgasket on a brand new built engine within the first 1300 miles of operation but I've experienced those. I'm relatively sure my car is cursed.

Dont waste your time - if you want an extingusher, grab a 2 or 3 kg handheld, not a 1 kg. Pity Halon is banned tho, they are extremely effective. A firebomb is more to give you time to GTFO of a burning car in a crash and to slow a fire right down, they dont put fires out real well unless the nozzles do actually cover the area of the fire and even then, they may not be effective. Also, a good kill switch will be very effective in guarentteeing the electricals stay off and the pumps are cut.

Me, I have a firebomb in the rally car, but I also mount 2 * 1 kg handhelds, soon to become 2*2kg handhelds. If you notice videos of buring rally cars, they all had firebombs. Oh yes, and I have been the victim of a fire extingusher failure to work - ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS maintain your extingushers - tested every year, every three months give them a good shake, replace or full test every two years. And also, make sure you actually know how to use the extingusher, there's more to it than point, shoot and hope. I recommend buy a 1kg as they are cheap, go to a open space at night and use it as if there was a fire there.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Some of you may remember I posted a month or so ago about seeing some smoke coming out of my hoodscoop on my 05 Forester XT. It was coming out from under the heatshield and someone suggested it may be one of the oil lines.

I ordered all new oil lines and watched the oil level like a hawk until I got a chance to work on it. When I took the heat shield off, the turbo was clean and there wasn't any signs of an oil leak. The oil level hasn't changed at all since I noticed the smoke.

Other than that one time noticing the smoke, I never saw it again - until yesterday. I noticed the smoke again, but once again the oil level is unchanged and I didn't notice it smoking today. My only other thought as to what could be leaking is the coolant, the level looked slightly lower than when I checked it last (probably 3 weeks ago).

I'm really freaked out about this - it's exactly the kind of problem I hate (an intermittent one). If it was a turbo seal going bad, would it be using oil? Any other theories on what might be going on?

eBay Embryos
Dec 12, 2004

Communist Party
I finally own a Subaru :) 2.0R

Its such a fun car to drive. Next step will be to upgrade to a WRX in the next few years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Newcommer to this big thread so be nice. :)

My wife and I are getting into the market for a second car and I'm giving a real hard look at the Impreza. We'd go for a 2.5 base to keep within budget (certainly no WRX). At risk of my AI membership, it'll have to be an auto due to a health issue. It will be a 4 door (not hatchback).

Questions:

1) How strong is the auto box in the Impreza? Any issues?

2) I understand that the 00s NA 2.5 had issues. Is it safe to assume that the kinks are worked out by now?

3) We're considering a new base Legacy as they're within a few G of MSRP of the base Impreza. I'm a little uneasy about it being the first year of a major redesign. As well, it has a CVT to boot as there seems to have been some teething pains with CVTs over the past few years (Murano anyone?). Thoughts on the new legacy?

4) Anyone know what to expect to get for a cash deal on Subaru in :canada:? From the research I've done (adimitedly little as of yet) we'd be lucky to get $500 or so off of MSRP. Truth to that?

Car will be used strictly for a short commute with the odd highway trip to save wear-tear on my 07 4Runner which I largely use for work. We live in Canada and always seem to end up doing a lot of driving on horrible weather days in winter so AWD for my wife really appeals to me.

The impreza is big enough, but the room of the Legacy appeals to me somewhat, but the wife hates the front end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

1) How strong is the auto box in the Impreza? Any issues?
Sorry to hear about the health issues, but the auto box should hold up to regular commuter usage. It's possible that a better auto box is coming - like you say, the Legacy has the new CVT tranny which is intended to hold up to more torque (such as the diesel engine) and that's pretty likely to come down the line to the Impreza.

The current version is a Jatco design - it's like if you go to the Superstore and pick up a blue-and-yellow box marked "Automatic Transmission." There's a few tweaks Subaru have added but it's more or less a generic auto. They've had it forever.

Note that the automatic box will kill your resale value - in Canada, 70% of all Subarus sold are manual gearboxes.

quote:

2) I understand that the 00s NA 2.5 had issues. Is it safe to assume that the kinks are worked out by now?
The head gasket problem is cured by (I think) the 2004 model year.

I don't know if the current WRX's problems with metal shavings are also exhibited in the 2.5i, but that's worth looking into.

quote:

4) Anyone know what to expect to get for a cash deal on Subaru in :canada:? From the research I've done (adimitedly little as of yet) we'd be lucky to get $500 or so off of MSRP. Truth to that?
The Subaru website used to list about $1000 off MSRP during the first days of the horrible financial crisis.

When I looked into a new 2.5i during the oil boom, the dealership mostly wanted to throw in free options for me; I didn't start negotiating though.

Compared to the US Impreza prices the Canadian ones are a straight up ripoff - you're paying duty and taxes twice since they first import the shells and running gear to America, do final assembly at SIA and then kick it up North. However, that's pretty much the case with every import manufacturer.