Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogs do not cry okay
Apr 21, 2003
I've been using the Top Rated smart playlist for a while, but I've encountered a problem.

I only want 5 starred songs on my playlist, which is what I've specified:

I've rated an album out of 5, which you can see with the hollow stars, and the whole thing shows up in my playlist. I only want those specific songs that I've rated 5 to show up. I've toyed around with the Album Rating option in the smart playlists but nothing seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hogs do not cry okay posted:

I've been using the Top Rated smart playlist for a while, but I've encountered a problem.

I only want 5 starred songs on my playlist, which is what I've specified:

I've rated an album out of 5, which you can see with the hollow stars, and the whole thing shows up in my playlist. I only want those specific songs that I've rated 5 to show up. I've toyed around with the Album Rating option in the smart playlists but nothing seems to work.

Your images don't work, but based on what you said I think I understand. The thing is, if you rate an album, then the songs in that album will assume the album's ratings if none are set. You can set those songs to whatever star rating you want, or delete the rating, but the album rating should stay the same.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I'm designing a 5 room home audio system for a rather wealthy client. He has a computer with itunes on it and wants to incorporate his itunes library into the system, such that each of the 5 rooms has independent itunes access from the library on his laptop. He also wants an ipod dock in each room, and each room should be able to play music from any dock from any room. Finally, he wants touch screen remotes (like the remote application on the iphone) in each room, and they should be able to control itunes/ipod playback in all of the rooms (ie you could change/mute the song playing in the living room using the remote in the game room or the master bedroom).

I already have some very sophisticated audio distribution hardware designed into the system, which will allow me to route the audio from any source in any room to any destination. What I need help with is some way to split the output of itunes and control it remotely, and most importantly somehow incorporate the metadata of the media into the touchscreens of the remote controls. And no, using a bunch of iphones as remote controls is not an option (the remotes have to also handle IR and RF so that they can control the cable boxes and receivers/amplifiers).

I see that with airport express hubs you can route the output of itunes to multiple destinations wirelessly, but can that be done independently such that different destinations are listening to different songs simultaneously?

American MacGay
Aug 25, 2009

Pretty sure it's completely impossible to split the airtunes output so that different locations can play different audio at the same time. Doesn't even seem like it would be possible through a software hack, but there might be some hope for you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

You'll need multiple instances of iTunes to have different songs in different rooms at the same time.

In theory you could maybe have a user for each room and a separate instance of iTunes per user (duplicate them maybe?) but I don't know how the hell you'd sort them out to have different outputs. Also seems like a ridiculous amount of overhead and most likely it's impossible without major hoops.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's some terminal command that will let you run one program multiple times. Maybe try that with Spaces to organize the different running iTunes, and have them all point to different AirTunes? I've never tried something like this or with AirTunes at all, so I don't know, but maybe this will help.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
A tag-related question: I recently got an iPod classic, which my entire iTunes library fits into. Great! After moving my entire library to it, however, an issue popped up, one which hasn't really caught my attention when using iPods with lower capacities. As an avid listener of the "Hip-Hop," I have a ton of songs with featured artists. Quite often, the featured artists have been added to the Artist tag, which makes scrolling a bit of a pain when sorting by the Artist tag. I've started moving the feature information from Artist to Name, but it's a huge effort. Does any tagging software do this for me? I normally use Tune Instructor, but it seems to be no help here.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

jimmyel posted:

A tag-related question: I recently got an iPod classic, which my entire iTunes library fits into. Great! After moving my entire library to it, however, an issue popped up, one which hasn't really caught my attention when using iPods with lower capacities. As an avid listener of the "Hip-Hop," I have a ton of songs with featured artists. Quite often, the featured artists have been added to the Artist tag, which makes scrolling a bit of a pain when sorting by the Artist tag. I've started moving the feature information from Artist to Name, but it's a huge effort. Does any tagging software do this for me? I normally use Tune Instructor, but it seems to be no help here.

I'm not sure about tagging software since I never use it, but I have a few suggestions. You could try highlighting the entire album, putting the main performer's name under Album Artist, and sort by Album Artist. You could also mark any collaborative songs under Compilations and have iTunes group compilations when browsing so that it would show only solo works under the Artist tag and the collaborations under Compilations. Either way you have a bit of work ahead of you.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

jimmyel posted:

Does any tagging software do this for me? I normally use Tune Instructor, but it seems to be no help here.
I have a bunch of multi-artist tracks and haven't really found a good solution on any platform. You can blame ID3 tags for this restriction basically. It'd be nice to have a track appear on more than one album, more than one artist for the track, and other full-featured info in an ID3 tag, but frankly, it's a pretty primitive system.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

So I'm curious if there is a way to give a file two different genres independent of each other so that if you show each genre separately the song appears in them, but it only appears in those two genres and not a separate genre of it's own. An example of this would be wanting a certain album or song to appear under both Jazz and Experimental genres, but not under some JazzExperimental genre which only contains that album or song.

I don't know a whole lot about iTunes but I do listen to a wide variety of music including a few groups where a feature like this would be useful, but I don't know if it's practical to expect it of iTunes. :shobon: Any insight?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jimmyel posted:

First off, I don't think you should move it, just set the Album Artist on the album to whatever the primary artist is (it'll preserve track specific artists + place the album correctly in a sort-by-artist view). That said, there's a bunch of re-taggers that can move those things around, I'm pretty sure Media Rage (Mac) or Tag&Rename (PC) do it.

Orchids! posted:

So I'm curious if there is a way to give a file two different genres independent of each other so that if you show each genre separately the song appears in them, but it only appears in those two genres and not a separate genre of it's own. An example of this would be wanting a certain album or song to appear under both Jazz and Experimental genres, but not under some JazzExperimental genre which only contains that album or song.

I don't know a whole lot about iTunes but I do listen to a wide variety of music including a few groups where a feature like this would be useful, but I don't know if it's practical to expect it of iTunes. :shobon: Any insight?

Not in iTunes, sorry. You can approximate it with smart playlists (genre contains "rock", genre contains "pop", etc), but the standard genre browser won't let you do it.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

Carthag posted:

First off, I don't think you should move it, just set the Album Artist on the album to whatever the primary artist is (it'll preserve track specific artists + place the album correctly in a sort-by-artist view). That said, there's a bunch of re-taggers that can move those things around, I'm pretty sure Media Rage (Mac) or Tag&Rename (PC) do it.

I'll check Media Rage out, thanks. I'm okay with the iTunes Artist view, because, as you said, it goes by Album Artist. But my iPod doesn't seem to do that. Am I missing something, or is the iPod just dumb like that?

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

jimmyel posted:

I'll check Media Rage out, thanks. I'm okay with the iTunes Artist view, because, as you said, it goes by Album Artist. But my iPod doesn't seem to do that. Am I missing something, or is the iPod just dumb like that?

The iPod's dumb, which is why I also suggested the Compilations option. It would instead list solo works under the name of the artist and any collaborations under the Compilations artist tag.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Carthag posted:

Not in iTunes, sorry. You can approximate it with smart playlists (genre contains "rock", genre contains "pop", etc), but the standard genre browser won't let you do it.

That's ok, thanks for answering my question. It's not a feature that I absolutely need to have, it would just be nice to sort things that way. I like to keep my genres fairly general so that the list is shorter and cleaner-looking, but that means I have a lot of music that's hard to sort.

American MacGay
Aug 25, 2009

Don't use genres at all, problem solved.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

American MacGay posted:

Don't use genres at all, problem solved.

Why would you want to do that

Is not a good answer

American MacGay
Aug 25, 2009

Why would you even bother using genres? It's basically impossible to shoehorn many artists into a single specific genre so you're either stuck with the horribly generic alternative/electronic/rap or you're splitting hairs trying to decide whether to tag something as deep industrial or dark idm. Neither of those two scenarios really results in anything worthwhile in regards to sorting. Genre tagging is just a waste of time and is going to get harder and harder to implement as music continues to get more varied and branching.

Just load up a smart playlist if you want to listen to some similar music.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

American MacGay posted:

Why would you even bother using genres? It's basically impossible to shoehorn many artists into a single specific genre so you're either stuck with the horribly generic alternative/electronic/rap or you're splitting hairs trying to decide whether to tag something as deep industrial or dark idm. Neither of those two scenarios really results in anything worthwhile in regards to sorting. Genre tagging is just a waste of time and is going to get harder and harder to implement as music continues to get more varied and branching.

Just load up a smart playlist if you want to listen to some similar music.

Maybe he listens to a lot of Top 40 Pop, Jazz, and Classical instead of apoptygma berzerk and wolfsheim

Crazy thought I know

American MacGay
Aug 25, 2009

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Maybe he listens to a lot of Top 40 Pop, Jazz, and Classical instead of apoptygma berzerk and wolfsheim

Crazy thought I know
He specifically stated that he wanted to be able to tag something with two genres (because he was unable to categorize it into a single general genre).

dakara
Aug 17, 2009

I know a girl who cries when she practices violin.
'Cause each note sounds so pure, it just cuts into her, and then the melody comes pouring out her eyes.
I was interested to see that no one mentioned this in this thread when the article came out..

Boy Genius Report, usually a pretty reliable source for rumors (they are, admittedly, just rumors), published an article regarding iTunes 9 and features that may be inbound: integration with social networks (last.fm, anyone?) and Blu-Ray support among other things.

There's always tons of debate about whether iTunes is cluttered enough as it is, so of course these sort of features will do nothing but make an already ~140mb application (iTunes 8.2.1 on OS X 10.6) a lot larger.

Thoughts?

EDIT: here's an image reportedly showing iTunes 9's last.fm integration

dakara fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 31, 2009

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dakara posted:

I was interested to see that no one mentioned this in this thread when the article came out..

Boy Genius Report, usually a pretty reliable source for rumors (they are, admittedly, just rumors), published an article regarding iTunes 9 and features that may be inbound: integration with social networks (last.fm, anyone?) and Blu-Ray support among other things.

There's always tons of debate about whether iTunes is cluttered enough as it is, so of course these sort of features will do nothing but make an already ~140mb application (iTunes 8.2.1 on OS X 10.6) a lot larger.

Thoughts?

EDIT: here's an image reportedly showing iTunes 9's last.fm integration

That is exactly a copy of a standard Last.FM window pasted over an iTunes window. I could shop that in 5 minutes and take a photo of it too. Hell, he didn't even take the transparency into effect on the logo in the library, it's got hard white corners.

EDIT:

Make the window tall enough, and you'll lose the background image.

IUG fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 31, 2009

American MacGay
Aug 25, 2009

Not to mention you can easily see where he brushed out the "buy from Amazon" link under the tracks info.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

RivensBitch posted:

I'm designing a 5 room home audio system for a rather wealthy client. He has a computer with itunes on it and wants to incorporate his itunes library into the system, such that each of the 5 rooms has independent itunes access from the library on his laptop. He also wants an ipod dock in each room, and each room should be able to play music from any dock from any room. Finally, he wants touch screen remotes (like the remote application on the iphone) in each room, and they should be able to control itunes/ipod playback in all of the rooms (ie you could change/mute the song playing in the living room using the remote in the game room or the master bedroom).

I already have some very sophisticated audio distribution hardware designed into the system, which will allow me to route the audio from any source in any room to any destination. What I need help with is some way to split the output of itunes and control it remotely, and most importantly somehow incorporate the metadata of the media into the touchscreens of the remote controls. And no, using a bunch of iphones as remote controls is not an option (the remotes have to also handle IR and RF so that they can control the cable boxes and receivers/amplifiers).

I see that with airport express hubs you can route the output of itunes to multiple destinations wirelessly, but can that be done independently such that different destinations are listening to different songs simultaneously?

Wouldn't something like Sonos work better for this?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Just realized I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread.

Also, what's the best way to scrobble my ipod touch? I have iscrobble installed on my touch, but I don't really need live scrobbling, and the fact that iscrobble needs to have focus in order to scrobble is really annoying. I could easily scrobble on sync (with OSX) if that were an option, but I'm not sure what's the best way. Right now I use GimmeSomeTune to scrobble my laptop.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

HolySwissCheese posted:

Just realized I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread.

Also, what's the best way to scrobble my ipod touch? I have iscrobble installed on my touch, but I don't really need live scrobbling, and the fact that iscrobble needs to have focus in order to scrobble is really annoying. I could easily scrobble on sync (with OSX) if that were an option, but I'm not sure what's the best way. Right now I use GimmeSomeTune to scrobble my laptop.

I use a jailbroken app called scrobbl to scrobble songs in real time, and it queues them for later scrobbling if I don't have wifi. It runs in the background, which is why it's requires a jailbreak.

Other than that, why not just use the default last.fm software? It has the built-in ability to scrobble when you sync.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Under Windows XP, I want iTunes to automatically sync with my iphone only if iTunes is already open. I do NOT want iTunes to launch when I attach my phone if iTunes is not currently running.

Note that I do not want to turn syncing manual altogether, I just want iTunes to not launch itself.

Is this possible, and how can I do it?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is more of an ipod question than an itunes question, but it's been bugging me for loving years, and I'm hoping someone here knows:

How the heck do you an ipod to list podcasts decending in order from oldest to newest, rather than the default of newest to oldest?

90% of the podcasts I listen to are sequential, and it's loving retarded to have the default be to play them Part 3, Part 2, Part 1, such that if you're listening to part 2 and it ends, it will jump to Part 1 again, and you have to press rewind 2-3 times to get to where you want to be.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

In the library I want 'X feat Y' to appear under the same artist entry as X.

I've got the album artist as Placebo on both, and the artist as either Placebo or Placebo feat David Bowie. Itunes treats them as one artist which is great, but now 'Placebo feat Bowie' is the only entry in the artist list in the library.

Is there some combination of artist / album artist / sort artist / sort album artist that works?

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Bobulus posted:

This is more of an ipod question than an itunes question, but it's been bugging me for loving years, and I'm hoping someone here knows:

How the heck do you an ipod to list podcasts decending in order from oldest to newest, rather than the default of newest to oldest?

90% of the podcasts I listen to are sequential, and it's loving retarded to have the default be to play them Part 3, Part 2, Part 1, such that if you're listening to part 2 and it ends, it will jump to Part 1 again, and you have to press rewind 2-3 times to get to where you want to be.

Make a separate playlist of your desired podcast, go into View and check off Date Added, and then sort by Date Added.

Cerv posted:

In the library I want 'X feat Y' to appear under the same artist entry as X.

I've got the album artist as Placebo on both, and the artist as either Placebo or Placebo feat David Bowie. Itunes treats them as one artist which is great, but now 'Placebo feat Bowie' is the only entry in the artist list in the library.

Is there some combination of artist / album artist / sort artist / sort album artist that works?

A couple of options:

1. Tag the title of the songs to include something along the lines of "(Feat. David Bowie)" and put "Placebo" as the Artist.
2. Put "Placebo" as the Sort Artist field for the collaborations with Bowie. (This option will probably work better for what you're going for)

Maelstrm
Jun 21, 2004
Triskaidekaphobic

Charlie Mopps posted:

Tuneup Companion.

http://www.tuneupmedia.com/

It's not free, but it's worth it. It hasnt failed me once so far, except with some really obscure compilations.

I tried this on my Audiobooks and it sucked hard (I have a LOT of audiobooks). Seems more accurate with music though.

Does anyone know of anything like TuneUp that plays nicely with Audiobooks? Anyone?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This is probably a dumb question butttt....

If I bought some songs on another computer using my iTunes account, do I have to rebuy them on a new computer? My old computer just died, so I won't be able to get anything off of it for at least a month.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Maelstrm posted:

(Re: Tuneup Companion
I tried this on my Audiobooks and it sucked hard (I have a LOT of audiobooks). Seems more accurate with music though.

Does anyone know of anything like TuneUp that plays nicely with Audiobooks? Anyone?

I had modest success with Tuneup - it identified some tracks, and got a few wrong as well. I wouldn't say that it sucked, but it wasn't good enough to justify paying for. Also, Tuneup is pretty much insists on being in your face - will always launch at the same time as iTunes, grabs a bunch of screen real estate, showing you ads. Maybe the full version is less intrusive.

I suspect you may be out of luck with audiobooks - the tagging / cataloguing for them seems to be less thorough. Have you tried MusicBrainz?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Under Windows XP, I want iTunes to automatically sync with my iphone only if iTunes is already open. I do NOT want iTunes to launch when I attach my phone if iTunes is not currently running.

Note that I do not want to turn syncing manual altogether, I just want iTunes to not launch itself.

Is this possible, and how can I do it?

I think you go into services.msc and disable the service, it's called iTunes Helper or iPod Helper or something like that.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Capsaicin posted:

This is probably a dumb question butttt....

If I bought some songs on another computer using my iTunes account, do I have to rebuy them on a new computer? My old computer just died, so I won't be able to get anything off of it for at least a month.

Usually you can only download iTunes music once, but sometimes if you email them, explain what happened, and ask really nicely, they let you download your music again.

If you have the music on an iPod and authorise the new computer with your iTunes account, it should ask you if you want to transfer the music to your library next time you plug your iPod in.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Dimentia posted:

2. Put "Placebo" as the Sort Artist field for the collaborations with Bowie. (This option will probably work better for what you're going for)
Got it. Thanks.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I had this idea for this bar I have a hand in with iTunes. Basically, I wanted to create a library of songs for the place on iTunes, but then allow customers to request songs via Remote on the iPhone and allow voting and such.

However, the fact that there is limitless requests means that somebody could basically take over the playlist entirely for the next few hours if they wanted to in a matter of couple of minutes since you could then just queue up entire albums or however many songs you wanted.

Is there ANY WAY to limit how many songs you can request or possibly how many songs in a certain time frame? If so, I think this could be a neat idea for a bar (andacheapwayofnothavingtobuyajukebox*cough*)

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

89 posted:

So, I had this idea for this bar I have a hand in with iTunes. Basically, I wanted to create a library of songs for the place on iTunes, but then allow customers to request songs via Remote on the iPhone and allow voting and such.

However, the fact that there is limitless requests means that somebody could basically take over the playlist entirely for the next few hours if they wanted to in a matter of couple of minutes since you could then just queue up entire albums or however many songs you wanted.

Is there ANY WAY to limit how many songs you can request or possibly how many songs in a certain time frame? If so, I think this could be a neat idea for a bar (andacheapwayofnothavingtobuyajukebox*cough*)

Doesn't each iPhone need to be paired with the iTunes via a verification key that iTunes randomly generates?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I can't imagine it's possible but I thought I'd ask... I'm planning on replacing all my Beatles mp3s with the new remasters that are coming out tomorrow. Ideally I'd like to somehow replace the existing files with the remasters while keeping the ratings, play counts and other information like that. Is that at all possible?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

I can't imagine it's possible but I thought I'd ask... I'm planning on replacing all my Beatles mp3s with the new remasters that are coming out tomorrow. Ideally I'd like to somehow replace the existing files with the remasters while keeping the ratings, play counts and other information like that. Is that at all possible?

Yup, just insert the CDs and hit encode. Just make sure the artist, album, and track name/numbers all match, and it will automatically replace while keeping the ratings, comments, and playcount. This works with anything. If you have any one of those wrong, then it will make new copies of the mp3s on your computer. If you have it right, it will ask you to replace the originals (this is what you want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

IUG posted:

Yup, just insert the CDs and hit encode. Just make sure the artist, album, and track name/numbers all match, and it will automatically replace while keeping the ratings, comments, and playcount. This works with anything. If you have any one of those wrong, then it will make new copies of the mp3s on your computer. If you have it right, it will ask you to replace the originals (this is what you want).

If you end up with duplicates, you can try deleting the old ones and naming the new ones the exact same filename/path, then launching iTunes. It should think the new ones are the old ones.