Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

oxy posted:

I wouldnt mind reading the other wizards one. Which books and in what order do they go?

The reason I ask is cause http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.jpg doesn't mention the wizards.

The wizards feature heavily in the "Death" series on that guide. This is what The_Doctor was referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Just read the books in published order, it's probably the best way because you're guaranteed not to miss out on anything.

Also, totally excited for a new discworld book :unsmith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Just read the books in published order, it's probably the best way because you're guaranteed not to miss out on anything.

Also, for the most part, you will probably enjoy each book slightly more than the last (or at least be able to notice how gradually his writing style goes from "slightly silly" to "well, goddamn").

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

precision posted:

Also, for the most part, you will probably enjoy each book slightly more than the last (or at least be able to notice how gradually his writing style goes from "slightly silly" to "well, goddamn").

Also, all of the recurring characters/running gags make slightly more sense this way, as they are introduced to you in the same order as Pratchett wrote them.

oxy
May 14, 2008
I guess its too late for that that. I started reading the series four days ago and due to a slow down at work am already finished the Rincewind series. Shame really, does he appear in the other books?

I guess I'll get started on Death, then move to Guards? The witches don't seem that interesting.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

oxy posted:

I guess its too late for that that. I started reading the series four days ago and due to a slow down at work am already finished the Rincewind series. Shame really, does he appear in the other books?

I guess I'll get started on Death, then move to Guards? The witches don't seem that interesting.

I enjoyed the Night Watch (guards) series the most. Sam Vimes is a pre-industrial revolution Dirty Harry, great fun to watch him flail about Ank Mopork.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oxy posted:

To me, the witches are the most interesting series other than the new Moist ones.

Esme > Vimes any day.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

To me, the witches are the most interesting series other than the new Moist ones.

Esme > Vimes any day.

The witch books are kind of repetitive and definitely have the worst starting novel, though.

Definitely skip the first book if you're reading them. It's worse than Last Continent.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

precision posted:

Esme > Vimes any day.

Eh... The Witches series really takes a while to get going though. Equal Rites is eminently skippable (as has been said before, Pterry drastically changed Granny Weatherwax's character after the first book) and Wyrd Sisters has got nothing on Men At Arms, it's not got much going for it IMHO unless you really love Shakespeare jokes. By around Witches Abroad or Lords and Ladies though, the Witches series takes off when the Granny/Nanny dynamic really clicks.

It's interesting how similar Commander Vimes and Granny Weatherwax are. I mean obviously they have completely different approaches, but at this point they're the two big uncrossable Defenders of Good on the Disc. I don't think they've ever met, have they?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Entropic posted:

Eh... The Witches series really takes a while to get going though. Equal Rites is eminently skippable (as has been said before, Pterry drastically changed Granny Weatherwax's character after the first book) and Wyrd Sisters has got nothing on Men At Arms, it's not got much going for it IMHO unless you really love Shakespeare jokes. By around Witches Abroad or Lords and Ladies though, the Witches series takes off when the Granny/Nanny dynamic really clicks.

It's interesting how similar Commander Vimes and Granny Weatherwax are. I mean obviously they have completely different approaches, but at this point they're the two big uncrossable Defenders of Good on the Disc. I don't think they've ever met, have they?

Nope, and I hope they never will. I really hated Carpe Jugulum.. Vampires! Everywhere! And Granny's taking the time out to have a debate with herself about light and dark.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mokinokaro posted:

It's worse than Last Continent.

Last Continent rules, there's a rainbow stick in it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
For a while I thought my favourite Discworld books were the ones about the City Watch but then I realized that it was really the ones about Ankh Morpork.

I didn't like the Witches books as much at first but I eventually came around to them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Entropic posted:

They both have the whole 'Watch themselves to not become evil despite the great temptation of their overwhelming power' thing going on; the Guardian Dark from Thud! could have happened just as easily with Granny (though she probably would have been able to kick it out before it got that far, just from being a witch)

The mind boggles as to what would happen were they ever on opposite sides, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Nope, and I hope they never will. I really hated Carpe Jugulum.. Vampires! Everywhere! And Granny's taking the time out to have a debate with herself about light and dark.

Strangely that was one of the ones I liked. I guess I just like Discworld vampires (I mean, I can't be the only one wanting another Watch novel so we get more Angua and Sally partnerships.

Otto's still the best vampire, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

Strangely that was one of the ones I liked. I guess I just like Discworld vampires (I mean, I can't be the only one wanting another Watch novel so we get more Angua and Sally partnerships.

Otto's still the best vampire, though.

I loved Carpe. And yes, Sally is awesome.

On the subject of getting sick of Disc races, the only one I'm sick of are the Igors. It's so lazy. It's literally one joke that he he stretched into an entire species, and he has every single one of them act exactly the same. I don't even care if that's part of the joke. The Igors are dumb, full stop. He should have had one recurring Igor character and left well enough alone.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Well the way he does the Igors, it's easy enough to pretend it is just one recurring character if you really want. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of vampires, I know it's been strongly hinted that Vetinari might be one, but has it ever been truly debunked (in the books or otherwise)?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

precision posted:

Speaking of vampires, I know it's been strongly hinted that Vetinari might be one, but has it ever been truly debunked (in the books or otherwise)?

It would be very unlikely, unless he was in complete control of his 'cravings' more than any other vampire we've seen. In 'Jingo' he was in a rural area in a foreign land for quite a while, so I doubt he would have been able to hide it for long.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure the books have commented on Vetinari visibly aging, so him being a vampire is unlikely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm pretty sure the books have commented on Vetinari visibly aging, so him being a vampire is unlikely.

Actually, the only quote of the sort I can recall is when his lady friend from Uberwald visits and says "You haven't aged a day!" or somesuch.

I mean, in the context of the Disc it's very likely to be a red herring, but I do think Pratchett has intentionally made it one.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

precision posted:

Actually, the only quote of the sort I can recall is when his lady friend from Uberwald visits and says "You haven't aged a day!" or somesuch.

I mean, in the context of the Disc it's very likely to be a red herring, but I do think Pratchett has intentionally made it one.

We've seen him as a teen in Night Watch though, and in TFE Lady Margolotta was just being generally in love with Havelock so what she says is to be taken with a grain of salt.

If her name was Lady Margolotta, it's been a while since I've read TFE.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nilbop posted:

We've seen him as a teen in Night Watch though

True, but that doesn't rule out him becoming a vampire at some point after he grows up.

I mean, Sally is said to look about 16, so clearly whatever age you get made into a vampire is the age you stay at.

I think we're over-analyzing the Disc, sorry to have started it. If any series should be barred from this kind of analysis, it's the Disc. Terry makes mistakes, contradicts himself, re-writes history, etc. all the time. In fact I think it was me who pointed out somewhere in this thread that Terry has said the notion of "canon" is not something that should be taken seriously as regards Disc matters.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

precision posted:

True, but that doesn't rule out him becoming a vampire at some point after he grows up.

I mean, Sally is said to look about 16, so clearly whatever age you get made into a vampire is the age you stay at.

I think we're over-analyzing the Disc, sorry to have started it. If any series should be barred from this kind of analysis, it's the Disc. Terry makes mistakes, contradicts himself, re-writes history, etc. all the time. In fact I think it was me who pointed out somewhere in this thread that Terry has said the notion of "canon" is not something that should be taken seriously as regards Disc matters.

Of course then there are the history monks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Konstantin posted:

It would be very unlikely, unless he was in complete control of his 'cravings' more than any other vampire we've seen. In 'Jingo' he was in a rural area in a foreign land for quite a while, so I doubt he would have been able to hide it for long.

Not that I think he is one, but Vampires who've foresaken blood replace it with something else, and as we saw in the Fifth Elephant it's entirely possible to replace it with Political Machinations. His cravings would have been well satisfied then.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Not that I think he is one, but Vampires who've foresaken blood replace it with something else, and as we saw in the Fifth Elephant it's entirely possible to replace it with Political Machinations. His cravings would have been well satisfied then.

We saw him as a kid in Night Watch and he was already a political prodigy, even before he went to Uberwald on his Grand Sneer.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend

precision posted:

Could you please tell me where it's been strongly hinted at? I've never read anything that lead me to believe that Ventinari is anything other than an insanely Machiavellian politician with a supremely bad-rear end mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aussie Crawl posted:

Could you please tell me where it's been strongly hinted at? I've never read anything that lead me to believe that Ventinari is anything other than an insanely Machiavellian politician with a supremely bad-rear end mind.

I read the books as they were published and have only re-read a few so far, so my memory on detail is really spotty.

wikipedia posted:

There he met the vampire Lady Margolotta. It is implied that the two had some kind of relationship, and stated more clearly that he taught her a lot of what she knows, and vice versa. In The Fifth Elephant, Margolotta is surprised when Vimes tells her that Vetinari seems to be the same age as himself; she had expected him to be "quite old now". In Making Money it is implied that he in fact may be a vampire as well (a popular theory in Ankh-Morpork, although Vetinari has been seen in broad daylight numerous times). However in Carpe Jugulum there was a vampire family called the Magpyres who had overcome the traditional vampire weaknesses through strength of mind.

I believe it's been mentioned that he never seems to eat, as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Vimes thinks something about not knowing when/if the Patrician sleeps for sure. However, the Rincewind books do show that he at least has a fondness for certain foods.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

precision posted:

Except that in feet of clay there are constant references to his food and a description of his food tasters and I believe that Dragon king of arms says that arsenic in the candles wouldn't work against a Vampire and it does against Vetinari.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Vimes thinks something about not knowing when/if the Patrician sleeps for sure. However, the Rincewind books do show that he at least has a fondness for certain foods.

Wasn't that back when the previous patrician still ruled? Lord Snapcase or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

yaffle posted:

Except that in feet of clay there are constant references to his food and a description of his food tasters

Well, if vampires can drink coffee (Monstrous Regiment) presumably they can eat if they want to. They just don't have to.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009

precision posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Margolotta is surprised when Vimes tells her that Vetinari seems to be the same age as himself; she had expected him to be "quite old now".

Weren't the past versions of Sam and Vetinari about the same age in Night Watch? He's not a vampire, that would make him a lot less interesting.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yadoppsi posted:

Wasn't that back when the previous patrician still ruled? Lord Snapcase or something.

No. Pratchett has said that the only patrician in the discworld books, excluding Night Watch, is Vetinari. He simply wasn't named in the early Rincewind books.

As yaffle says, Feet of Clay kind of disproves the whole thing.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm pretty sure vampires can't go out into the sun on the disc, correct?

There's a scene in one of the books where Vetinari is out enjoying his garden. I believe it's the same scene where it mentions that Bloody Stupid Johnson building the Ho-Ho. I may be completely wrong here, because it's been a long time since I've read the books.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

They seem to be able to, as long as they cover up. Otto's seen in the sun quite often but he must be protecting himself somehow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Also, mentioned earlier on the page, the Magpyres in Carpe Jugulum had learned to overcome such weaknesses.

I think the real question has become "Why has Vetinari seemingly stopped aging, if he's not a vampire?"

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

precision posted:

I think the real question has become "Why has Vetinari seemingly stopped aging, if he's not a vampire?"

Because he's the discworld version of Dick Clark? Some people just look the same for 50 years. Sean Connery's another one.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

They seem to be able to, as long as they cover up. Otto's seen in the sun quite often but he must be protecting himself somehow.

I'm pretty sure vampires, like trolls, can withstand sunlight by merely applying sunscreen. I think this is mentioned in The Truth, but I could be wrong.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
There's also that time he was described carefully eating egg whites, for whoever said he's never eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend

On the one hand these look kick arse (Anhk Morpork Watch badge emblem for those without magic zoom eyes) but on the other hand with shipping its close to $100 Australian... I can't work out if i want it badly enough or not.

This is the kind of nerdy stuff that i can get behind, Nerd-joke shirts and stuff like that make me cringe, but the brass emblem looks great against the charcoal background and to people who don't read the books it just looks like a cool emblem while pratchett fans can have a little smile about it and go on with their day