Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Seriously, $10 each for each individual HOMM game? Who the hell are they kidding? I was expecting $6 each when I first heard they were going to release them eventually and I still thought that was too much.

HoMM 1-4 is something I'd expect to see in a steam package for $15. Not 40 loving dollars.

GoG has a nice collection but they're horribly overpriced sometimes. At least M&M 6 is the best in the series.

edit: poo poo, yeah, M&M 1-6 for $10 is a pretty good deal. That's the type of pricing I can get behind.

Blame Ubisoft for that. Only the games they license to GOG are oddly priced like that. The Spellforce pack comes with both games plus the expansions for the price of one Heroes game and you get like 10x the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Total steal at $10. Its worth 50 at least.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

OptimusShr posted:

GOG's next Hidden Gem of the Week has been announced. It's Shogo: Mobile armor division

Man I loved the hell out of that game back in the day. The "particle" effects look hilariously bad now though. The enemy AI in the single player game was totally crippled too. Still, multiplayer was great and they got the "giant badass cartoony mech" feel just right. I'm constantly tempted to re-buy this one; if they even dropped the price by like 50 cents I'd probably buy it, just because then I could convince myself I was getting a deal on an 11 year old game I'll almost certainly never play all the way through again...

e: oh wait, 10% off = 60 cents savings!!! Bought.

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 25, 2009

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Unreal week promo, get 15% off all of the Unreal games. The deal is not bundled.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
So what HOMM game is considered the best? I got a collector's pack with all games for my birthday two years ago, but have yet to touch it.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 25, 2009

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Blodskur posted:

Unreal week promo, get 15% off all of the Unreal games. The deal is not bundled.

Anyone have any good suggestions from this bundle if I want to run around and frag some fools mindlessly? SP or MP doesn't matter. I'd probably prefer SP as I have to imagine no one plays any of these games MP any more. I've never really played any of this franchise, but sometimes I have 15-30 minutes to kill and want something fun and mindless and I can jump in and out of.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

Overwined posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions from this bundle if I want to run around and frag some fools mindlessly? SP or MP doesn't matter. I'd probably prefer SP as I have to imagine no one plays any of these games MP any more. I've never really played any of this franchise, but sometimes I have 15-30 minutes to kill and want something fun and mindless and I can jump in and out of.

They're all good except Unreal II. The original Unreal was a really, really good story-based FPS in its time, and it holds up reasonably well I think but it might not be what you're looking for if you just want a quick deathmatch. UT99 and UT2k4 are still both fantastic games, and bot play is a lot of fun. I prefer UT99 still, but UT2k4 has some different game modes (notably Onslaught) that are fun too. You can't go wrong with either one.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Grawl posted:

So what HOMM game is considered the best? I got a collector's pack with all games for my birthday two years ago, but have yet to touch it.

III, I haven't played any but everytime I heard someone talk about HOMM is all bout how III was this and that

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Grawl posted:

III yes.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
I love it when old applications can't handle new hardware.

e: heh...

Time to play non-updated I guess :(

Grawl fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 25, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I just bought HOMM3 off GOG :) I've really been waiting for its release and it's just in time, as I have a long flight ahead of me on Thursday. This, together with Castles and Mean Streets should fill the time quite well.

Grawl posted:

I love it when old applications can't handle new hardware.
Time to play non-updated I guess :(

There still seem to be some updates available on FilePlanet.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 25, 2009

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Heroes 3 complete for $10 is a loving steal, as you'll get about a billion hours of gameplay out of it between 3 sets of campaigns and all the individual maps, plus the random map generator it includes. Also, Armageddon's blade is impossible to find anywhere, so it's doubly awesome that you get that expansion. The conflux town is sweet.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

OptimusShr posted:

GOG's next Hidden Gem of the Week has been announced. It's Shogo: Mobile armor division

I might get this again just to have it work well with modern-ish hardware. I still have the original CD someplace. I played the hell out of this game when it came out. Had the soundtrack CD and a t-shirt someplace with the box art on it.

Yeah, I'm that guy. :black101:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Grawl posted:

I'd rank III and V at about the same level. The totally loving rad level.

From the "Which one should I buy from from GOG" perspective, there's no reason to buy anything but III. The hours of great gameplay in the complete pack is astoundingly high.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Bart Fargo posted:

I might get this again just to have it work well with modern-ish hardware. I still have the original CD someplace. I played the hell out of this game when it came out. Had the soundtrack CD and a t-shirt someplace with the box art on it.

Yeah, I'm that guy. :black101:

I wonder how the hell they got it to work. My CD copy won't, and I can't find a patch anywhere. :(

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Fired up and played through the first hour or so of Shogo last night, for the first time in 10+ years.

The Good:
  • I had forgotten how good the music is. It's good.
  • They also did a good job creating a sort of over-the-top 80s "japanimation" aesthetic within the confines of the crappy engine (see below). The story is not half-bad either.
  • The missions actually flow really well into each other; I was surprised at how engaging the game was. It definitely held my interest and I think the quick succession of short missions is something shooters would do well to get back to. Although it is extremely linear.
  • The mech weapons are fun, esp the Bullgut and the Spider mine launcher.
  • Although the writing is corny as all hell, the voice acting, esp. by the main character dude, is surprisingly good and funny.
  • Playing on hard mode and using the weakest mech, it offers a decent challenge, although it's more a you-can-get-frustratingly-one-shotted challenge than a smart-enemy-AI challenge.

The Bad:
  • The "lithtech" engine really has not held up well at all. It looks way, way worse than HL1 or even the Dark engine games. There's big gaps between the polygons of the mechs, the "gore" effects look retarded, and the maps are tiny. Oh, and the textures look like rear end and the person models are godawful.
  • The enemy AI is a joke. Sniping is game breaking.
  • The "critical hit" system is kind of goofy -- when you score a crit (apparently totally random, as headshots don't seem to trigger them with any regularity) the enemy flashes purple and you get extra "energy", which I guess is health for your mech. This makes no sense, esp. since there are health and armor powerups strewn throughout levels.
  • The on-foot weapons are nowhere near as fun as the mech weapons, and the sounds for the former are terrible.
  • There's not really any interesting differentiation between the mechs. You have to choose your mech from among 4 or 5 options, and the only differences I think are in speed and max armor level. No special abilities for any of them. And the "vehicle" mode is useless.

Overall, still a fun game, if only because of how satisfying the Bullgut rocket launcher is. Still one of my all-time favorite FPS weapons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lamacq posted:

[*] The on-foot weapons are nowhere near as fun as the mech weapons, and the sounds for the former are terrible.

I beg to differ

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Despite the bad comments I think I'll pick up Shogo. sounds like it might be decent for $6.

Man I am going to have a TON of game backlog and don't have a day off until Monday.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

After reading this account I created an account on GOG and got a copy of MDK. Great game, but way harder than I remember it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Grawl posted:

I seem to be alone in this, but if you've got a complete collection I really think you should play II first. Yes, III is probably the best in the series, but II has some really nice, hand-drawn graphics that you just won't appreciate as much if you play III first.

It also has Mutant Zombies.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It seems MM1-6 won't be released this or even next week, dang.

Who owns SirTech's Wizardry these days? I already own Wizardry 8 on CD, but I would like the chance to get the previous ones.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm tempted to get HoMM II and III again... my HoMM II CD was so well used it was worn nigh-unreadable many years ago, and I don't even know where my HoMM III disc(s?) are anymore.

God I feel old now.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Honest Thief posted:

Who owns SirTech's Wizardry these days? I already own Wizardry 8 on CD, but I would like the chance to get the previous ones.
A Japanese company called Acquire, apparently. They're still releasing new Wizardry games in Japan, but they don't seem to have any interest in other markets. Maybe GoG can still strike a deal with them on the basis that it would be GoG doing all the work anyway.

I still have my Ultimate Wizardry Archives CD around here somewhere, and they all worked fine under DOSBox from what I remember.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Halibut Barn posted:

A Japanese company called Acquire, apparently. They're still releasing new Wizardry games in Japan, but they don't seem to have any interest in other markets. Maybe GoG can still strike a deal with them on the basis that it would be GoG doing all the work anyway.

Aquire have a pretty good relationship with Atlus, who've localised some of their dungeon-crawler games before (and in one case, sorted out a few interface issues for a Japanese re-release of Class of Heroes). One of the games they localsied was the PS2 Wizardry game, but I don't know if that means Atlus owns the Western rights to Wizardry in any way whatsoever though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Halibut Barn posted:

A deal to put the old Wizardry games would be pretty awesome. I never played those, because they sound like such a gigantic pain in the rear end. But if they can make a good deal out of a package of them, then that would be nice.

It may be Interplay who still holds the rights to the old Sir-Tech games, I'm not sure, so GoG probably wont even have to deal with Acquire.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 27, 2009

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Vidmaster posted:

Heroes 3 complete for $10 is a loving steal, as you'll get about a billion hours of gameplay out of it between 3 sets of campaigns and all the individual maps, plus the random map generator it includes. Also, Armageddon's blade is impossible to find anywhere, so it's doubly awesome that you get that expansion. The conflux town is sweet.

There's also the free unofficial expansion. It adds a boatload of features, including a scripting language for map creation.

Woebin posted:

I seem to be alone in this, but if you've got a complete collection I really think you should play II first. Yes, III is probably the best in the series, but II has some really nice, hand-drawn graphics that you just won't appreciate as much if you play III first.

It also has Mutant Zombies.

II is my personal favorite just because of the soundtrack. There aren't many games that had operas commissioned for them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fallom posted:

I beg to differ

Captain Claw grenade?

Speaking of Claw, I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on GOG. The game had (probably still has) a strong mod community and I think the DVD release contained the best fanmade levels for it.

YES! FIRESWORD!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

al-azad posted:

Captain Claw grenade?

Speaking of Claw, I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on GOG. The game had (probably still has) a strong mod community and I think the DVD release contained the best fanmade levels for it.

YES! FIRESWORD!!

You squeeze it and it goes "CAPTAIN CLAW!" and in multiplayer nearby players will scream

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Pretty cool:

GOG.com forums posted:

What is more beautiful than playing on-line deathmatch in Unreal Tournament 2004? Playing it with or against other GOG.com users or even GOG.com staff!

That's why we have set up two servers for Unreal Tournament 2004 multiplayer. One server is placed in the USA - name: UT2004 Server US sponsored by GOG.COM, IP: 68.232.163.189:7777, and the other one is in Europe - name: UT2004 Server EU sponsored by GOG.COM, IP: 95.211.15.232:7777. We'll be checking in from time to time, so don't be surprised if you get blasted by Firek or Paczyk ;). And we're also adding some cool new wallpapers for UT 2004 and UT GOTY, so if you were planning to change your desktop wallpaper here's your chance.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I would love if they would put the Gobliins games on there. Yeah I know they're available on Abandonia, but I would love to have them so accessible.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chunk posted:

I would love if they would put the Gobliins games on there. Yeah I know they're available on Abandonia, but I would love to have them so accessible.
I don't know if you want just this one, but Impulse has Gobliiins 4. It's even on sale this weekend for 50% off.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
This weeks hidden gem of the week is Rise of the Triad

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
GOG needs an Apogee pack, like Steam has the iD Software and Rockstar packs.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Grawl posted:

GOG needs an Apogee pack, like Steam has the iD Software and Rockstar packs.

I'll buy a complete Apogee pack from Direct2Drive at this rate just as long as someone puts them all together for a decent price.

Plus, the supposed "reboot" of Rise of the Triad is exciting, but who knows if it'll actually happen.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The GOG anniversary promo has been announced! On Eurogamer?! Hmm. Anyway, it's a buy one Interplay title, get one free. It starts tomorrow and ends on the 7th.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Why isn't Might and Magic 6 out yet? I've been waiting for like 2 weeks now :(

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The GOG anniversary buy one get one free Interplay promo has been activated.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
This reminds me - apparently the best way to play the Freespace games is with a stick, but as I don't have one of those, how does it play with mouse+KB, or alternatively, a 360 gamepad?

capitalCORN
Mar 27, 2005
I have no idea about mouse + kb, but playing with a pad is pretty doable. Just map the most common controls to the pad and reference the rest on the keyboard.

I replayed FS2 this way last year, and I'm in the middle of my annual run again with a gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
Is the website loading painfully slowly for anyone else? For some reason it's taking forever on my end. Could be lovely connection I suppose.