Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
^^ It takes a lotta work but it's possible if you want to get somewhere like that. We'll see what it's actually like soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

^^ It takes a lotta work but it's possible if you want to get somewhere like that. We'll see what it's actually like soon.

Yeah what he said.

It takes a bit of work, once good way is to start from the bottom, like I did. I started off working as a data operator and a render wrangler and a medium-ish Commercial/VFX Studio in Santa Monica, about 3 weeks from moving on my own to LA. It helps if you're the kind of person who can adapt fast, learn things on your own, and have the ability to solve problems, granted I came with no previous experience and had to learn shell scripting and all sorts of other stuff on the job, the only other thing I knew before was some python and C++ knowledge, though I'd been learning 3D for years before that.

And from within that company I rose, became friends with a lot of the cG artists and rose up from there.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Also, don't stay in your city that has absolutely no 3d industry if you want to get somewhere. It's harsh, but the best thing I ever did was to get the gently caress out of my old city and somewhere that has an industry. They say the best way to get ahead is to meet people and work with them- to do this those people need to be around you in the first place.

After that you can sometimes shock yourself when you think of the people you meet/work with and the kind of possibilities that the situation holds.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Heintje posted:

Also, don't stay in your city that has absolutely no 3d industry if you want to get somewhere. It's harsh, but the best thing I ever did was to get the gently caress out of my old city and somewhere that has an industry. They say the best way to get ahead is to meet people and work with them- to do this those people need to be around you in the first place.

Absolutely true. The easiest way in is to be living somewhere that has enough studios to have more of a demand for Jr positions. LA, San Fran, London, Vancouver, Sydney etc. Once you get that first job it is much much easier finding the second and it only gets easier from there. Industry wide recessions, writers strikes etc notwithstanding.

The Film VFX industry is probably about two to three degrees of seperation at most after you have been working for a couple of years.

Good luck with Framestore, a couple of friends of mine are there at the moment, they seem to like it :)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mashed_penguin posted:

Absolutely true. The easiest way in is to be living somewhere that has enough studios to have more of a demand for Jr positions. LA, San Fran, London, Vancouver, Sydney etc. Once you get that first job it is much much easier finding the second and it only gets easier from there. Industry wide recessions, writers strikes etc notwithstanding.

The Film VFX industry is probably about two to three degrees of seperation at most after you have been working for a couple of years.

Good luck with Framestore, a couple of friends of mine are there at the moment, they seem to like it :)

I work in Toronto, I know there are studios here, they just all seem very small, and I don't think my skill set is even high enough to get an internship right now. I'm a graphic designer, so I work with some guys who know 3D, but I'm learning Max right now at home, and they use Maya at work. I don't know why I picked Max up so easily, but I just can't get into Maya.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
you guys seen this?

http://vimeo.com/5407991#skirt

i wanna be that good. :(

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

e: Nevermind.

Travakian fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 24, 2011

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm pretty sure Mr X and Soho are doing pretty well at the moment as well. There is certainly work to be had in Toronto. If you are more interested in full CG animation STARZ is hiring for Gnomeo and Juliet at the moment.

The list of cities I gave certainly isn't exhaustive :)

Software wise if you are looking at getting into film VFX you should probably make the effort to learn Maya. Not because it is the best or anything like that. Just that the majority of VFX studios base their 3d pipeline around it so there are often more jobs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Travakian posted:

I'd like to post my comp and my comp/mograph reels here for you guys to critique, but I'd rather not have a link here to me in real life, if you get what I mean. Any suggestions? Could just toss on YouTube on a disposable account, I reckon.

Or you could try not pissing off goons here :)

Seriously I have a vimeo account you can use if you want to send me the file (believe me if I was going to steal a reel, I would simply steal it from studio footage)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
http://tinyurl.com/

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Wow, I'm on top of the world right now. Not only did they use the screenshot that I made of Duff Goldman (shown below) to introduce the episode, but they also showed the in-game footage of my character running around near the end of the episode.

I could not be happier. Gonna dine out on this for weeks!

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Or you could try not pissing off goons here :)

Seriously I have a vimeo account you can use if you want to send me the file (believe me if I was going to steal a reel, I would simply steal it from studio footage)

It turns out tinypic can also host video. The more you know, eh?

On both videos I've blurred out the title card. On the mograph/comp one I blurred out some names I'd rather not have floating around online as well as a name I do business as. If you somehow manage to get any of that info, I ask respectfully that you keep it to yourself. Paranoid, maybe, but I'm sure most of you understand.

I'd love to hear and comments/crit/feedback you folks may have.

Edit: Going to create a new post in CC for this just to get a varied set of eyes on it. If any higher-ups have an issue with this, let me know and I'll close the other thread.

Travakian fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 24, 2011

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
NOT CG, a miniature. But hey, CG is going on top of it.

Click for Bigger

I've been struggling with lighting my set lately and I think I've finally got it how I like it. I was trying to do some 3 point lighting and it just wasn't working. I was really getting bummed out after awhile, but then after work I photographed it with sun hitting it. While it was too bright it gave me some ideas one what I needed to do.

I think I'm ready to start photographing and producing all the plates to animate on top of. Everything is storyboarded for this scene and good to go. I'm taking an extended weekend next week to work on this :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hazed_blue posted:

Wow, I'm on top of the world right now. Not only did they use the screenshot that I made of Duff Goldman (shown below) to introduce the episode, but they also showed the in-game footage of my character running around near the end of the episode.

I could not be happier. Gonna dine out on this for weeks!

what is the story behind this? Episode of what?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ratmann posted:

I love this. My favorite is the one where they don't really know what they want, "It kinda has to look like smoke or fluid motion, but I don't want it to be that"

"Make it look more mysterious..."

*3 Months Later*

"You know the one.. the one you did 3 months ago? Let's just go with that instead"

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ACanofPepsi posted:

I work in Toronto, I know there are studios here, they just all seem very small, and I don't think my skill set is even high enough to get an internship right now. I'm a graphic designer, so I work with some guys who know 3D, but I'm learning Max right now at home, and they use Maya at work. I don't know why I picked Max up so easily, but I just can't get into Maya.

Toronto & Vancouver are the 2 big VFX Hubs in Canada. I'd say Montreal but after Meteor / discovery meltdown, I'm not sure who's still in Montreal for big vfx work. Lot's of games work in Montreal though.

I mean, I started in Newfoundland, which got me work in Toronto, which got me work in Los Angeles. So yes, you should be in a major media hub if you want to go anywhere in the industry.

Right now, London, UK is booming for high profile film VFX work with the permanent film tax credit which is killing business in California at the moment.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

BigKOfJustice posted:

"Make it look more mysterious..."

*3 Months Later*

"You know the one.. the one you did 3 months ago? Let's just go with that instead"

Or the opposite.

"Well you know that shot we finaled last week, well the director saw it and well we need to go back to lookdev and take another shot at it, same deadline of course. you guys can do that right?" :smug:

:argh:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

:smug:

Which is fine in California. Hello overtime and double time. :smug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's that ZBrush 3.5? You're even more awesome than the last preview let on?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Zbrush is really blowing mudbox out the water right now I'm going to have to get this.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Hinchu posted:

NOT CG, a miniature. But hey, CG is going on top of it.

Click for Bigger

I've been struggling with lighting my set lately and I think I've finally got it how I like it. I was trying to do some 3 point lighting and it just wasn't working. I was really getting bummed out after awhile, but then after work I photographed it with sun hitting it. While it was too bright it gave me some ideas one what I needed to do.

I think I'm ready to start photographing and producing all the plates to animate on top of. Everything is storyboarded for this scene and good to go. I'm taking an extended weekend next week to work on this :)

This is great! It is always fantastic to see your miniatures in this thread.

Here is a technical question which seems obvious but I can't seem to find an answer. How does one see and type in global / world-space coordinates for an object in Maya? I am not talking about the transform numbers in the channel bar or the attribute editor but the absolute world position. In Max you can see local vs global coordinates pretty easily but it never occurred to me how to do the same thing in Maya. If you import an object, often it is far out in space and has zero transform values. How can you see the global transform values for an object from the origin?
Just curious if anyone knows what I am talking about, or is this yet another dumb question?

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

what is the story behind this? Episode of what?
The studio I work for (Mythic Entertainment of EA) requested a cake from Charm City Cakes for our Baltimore Games convention, where we were promoting our game, Warhammer Online. Charm City Cakes has their own reality show on the Food Network, called Ace of Cakes. As part of a ploy to get our cake (and by proxy, our game) featured in an episode, I was asked to make their head chef, Duff Goldman, into a character for our video game. It was a hit, and they used the screenshot that I posted to help introduce the episode, and then showed in-game footage of my Duffman character killing a squig, the monster that the cake was based on.

It was pretty awesome. I've been a fan of the show for awhile, and getting to see something that I had created as part of the show was a huge treat.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

BigKOfJustice posted:

Which is fine in California. Hello overtime and double time. :smug:

Vancouver is getting much better for OT thankfully. The last couple of studios I have been at pay time and a half OT and double time on Sundays. Still can't say the wife appreciates me disappearing for the last 3 months or so of any project.

Money is nice though.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

mashed_penguin posted:

Vancouver is getting much better for OT thankfully. The last couple of studios I have been at pay time and a half OT and double time on Sundays. Still can't say the wife appreciates me disappearing for the last 3 months or so of any project.

Money is nice though.

London only does time in lieu, I'm kinda nervous if they don't pay me out for it at the end of the contract. I don't work for free!

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Ace of Cakes, Duff and the rest of the crew at Charm City Cakes are awesome. That's really cool that you got your work featured on the show :)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hazed_blue posted:

The studio I work for (Mythic Entertainment of EA) requested a cake from Charm City Cakes for our Baltimore Games convention, where we were promoting our game, Warhammer Online. Charm City Cakes has their own reality show on the Food Network, called Ace of Cakes. As part of a ploy to get our cake (and by proxy, our game) featured in an episode, I was asked to make their head chef, Duff Goldman, into a character for our video game. It was a hit, and they used the screenshot that I posted to help introduce the episode, and then showed in-game footage of my Duffman character killing a squig, the monster that the cake was based on.

It was pretty awesome. I've been a fan of the show for awhile, and getting to see something that I had created as part of the show was a huge treat.

Heheh . . . cooking shows and video games. Not a combo that would have immediately come to mind.

3d flowers.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
It totally makes sense if you've seen the show. Weed, video games and indie rock are probably a common thread among everyone in that bakery.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
So I have a problem and it's becoming beyond my little newbie head. I'm putting a road on the scene, and I have done so by cutting it out of the landscape mesh, detaching, moving, then joining it by extending some of the edges and welding them to the road element. I've spent a bit of time doing that to the whole piece but when I apply mesh smoothing it fucks up:

This is without smoothing

Click here for the full 1462x834 image.

This is with smoothing

Click here for the full 1446x818 image.

I've checked the affected area and it doesn't seem like there are any holes or anything that I can see that can cause this.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Heintje posted:

London only does time in lieu, I'm kinda nervous if they don't pay me out for it at the end of the contract. I don't work for free!

I've heard some bad things about London studios overworking people from the states.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Georg LeBoui posted:

So I have a problem and it's becoming beyond my little newbie head. I'm putting a road on the scene, and I have done so by cutting it out of the landscape mesh, detaching, moving, then joining it by extending some of the edges and welding them to the road element. I've spent a bit of time doing that to the whole piece but when I apply mesh smoothing it fucks up:

This is without smoothing

Click here for the full 1462x834 image.

This is with smoothing

Click here for the full 1446x818 image.

I've checked the affected area and it doesn't seem like there are any holes or anything that I can see that can cause this.

Yikes! I've had similar things in the past when I've carelessly dragged edges around and accidentally cloned them on top of each other or been careless with extrusions and joining edges. Try throwing a push or relax modifier on it and cranking it up so any holes or duplicate edges show up.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
Thanks for that tip! Push/Relax didn't show any holes, but while loving around with the settings I found "Reset Geometric Edits" under the MeshSmooth settings and that unfucked everything.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
My loving god I knew they'd start implementing mechanical/hard edged modeling tools. I love pixologic/zbrush. I can't wait to dabble in ZBrush 3.5

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
so if i grab zbrush 3.1 now, is it a free upgrade to 3.5 once its released? what about 4?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been getting free upgrades to Zbrush since version 2.0. They're pretty great that way.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

SynthOrange posted:

I've been getting free upgrades to Zbrush since version 2.0. They're pretty great that way.

Wait, what?

So is there a reason for me to NOT put the money on the table right now?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unless they changed the way they work, or it's something that applies to customers from way back, I dont think so. I just keep getting emails once in awhile to go upgrade Zbrush to an even better version.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zbrush is one of the few software packages which offer free upgrades.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

sigma 6 posted:

Zbrush is one of the few software packages which offer free upgrades.

And bless their hearts for doing so. They're offering and extremely powerful tool that's about to get even more powerful for what is honestly a pittance sum in this industry. It's, what, $300 less than Mudbox?

This is fantastic though. I've been leaning a lot more toward motion graphics with where I'm focusing my creativity, but the ease of use and design they're really putting into this is really making me want to find a way to really balance my skillset.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cubicle gangster posted:

nm, er, Reckon you could upload a stripped down scene with just the 2 ground objects and a cube to show the issue? Something is up, but I cant tell from the renders. I'll have a play around see if I can see it.

Okay, I fixed my matte issue, I need to set it up in the Render settings, not with a MtlWrapper apparently.

My new issue is selective motion blurring. I've got a particle system I do not want to render with motion blur, but it needs to move around and through objects that do have motion blur. Can I set it on a per-object basis with VRay? I can go to my object properties and uncheck motion blur, and play with those settings, but they never work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think vray can render motion blur by object

Can you render a velocity pass and do the MB in comp?