Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ablank
Jan 31, 2004
1. Riding when it's cool and dry. Feels like being lightly shocked all over as the wind hits.
2. Getting bike farkles. (gps, sliders, bash plate, luggage, etc)
3. Going through a tunnel and cracking open the throttle
4. The look on a little kids face as your ride past.
5. Walking into the garage and seeing the bike. Even if I'm not riding that day, just knowing it's an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyx
May 23, 2005
I am made of magic.
1. No distractions: the ability to have a conversation with myself that feels somehow more honest and resolute when I'm on my bike
2. Built-in A/C on a hot, sweaty day
3. Ambient sensory experiences (smells, humidity, air temp etc)
4. Waving to fascinated little girls and watching the gears turn in their head as they realize I'm not a dude. :3:
5. Riding through a sunset

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Sphyx posted:

2. Built-in A/C on a hot, sweaty day

My 140 miles on Sunday would disagree: even 105mph wasn't enough to feel cool, just "not roasting". You just can't get past 88 degrees and 60% humidity...

On an mildly hot day(~80), I totally agree:
"How can you wear all that gear?"
"Once you're going you really don't notice."
"Oh"

I personally love trying to outrun thunderstorms. Today was crazy weather blowing in, and I made it by about 5 minutes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

UserNotFound posted:

My 140 miles on Sunday would disagree: even 105mph wasn't enough to feel cool, just "not roasting". You just can't get past 88 degrees and 60% humidity...

Nothing like speeding up to cool down, and finding out that the wind in your face feels like it's coming out of a blow dryer.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Zool posted:

Nothing like speeding up to cool down, and finding out that the wind in your face feels like it's coming out of a blow dryer.

On a Goldwing, there's no escape. I was shocked how effective the fairing was the first time I rode one. You really roast on a hot day.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

AnnoyBot posted:

On a Goldwing, there's no escape. I was shocked how effective the fairing was the first time I rode one. You really roast on a hot day.

Ugh. This is why I opted for a sport sized (~11 inches high) windshield instead of a full size on my KZ. The other day it was 100F + out with high humidity and it felt like I was riding through hot soup.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
After having my first crash recently, then having to help someone else who crashed much worse then me less then a mile down the road, then having someone die on the same road the next day I was a little perturbed about riding again.

I read this thread a day or two after and I am cemented back into riding, lessons learnt.

1. Going from N to 1st, I love that crack, the little jolt that runs through the bike like you just cocked a cannon.

2. The noise of a group of bikes all starting up getting ready to go for a ride.

3, Having 20 litres of Hydrocarbons between my legs, don't ask why but I think it's loving awesome.

4. Out running a storm front.

5. Kids that wave and smile and pedestrians that look away or nervously stop crossing the road when I pull up to lights.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Can you go into more detail as to why you crashed, someone else did, and someone died?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

More.

Knowing how fast your going off wind speed alone

Being asked questions and complimented on your bike every time you stop

Burning a $300 rear tire in 2,800 miles. Wait... crap.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

DiZ posted:

After having my first crash recently, then having to help someone else who crashed much worse then me less then a mile down the road, then having someone die on the same road the next day I was a little perturbed about riding again.

gently caress. I've heard about riders in my area dying, and after riding some of the roads I can see why. Considering the general attitude of riders in my area, it's completely unsurprising. And incredibly depressing.

Anyway-

1. Cornering- rode my first set of interesting twisties this weekend and holy poo poo, people in convertibles were staring because I was whooping and hollering so loud

2. Nailing big 'ol bugs- I swear they're suicidal and aim for my head. But I'm glad I've got a helmet on when I hit 'em.

3. Judging my speed off engine noise- 7k rpm in each gear is usually a speed limit on the road

4. Waving at kids- Got my first wave from kids, it was so freaking awesome. I didn't see the big deal until then.

5. Being on the bike- I was getting groceries and people in traffic were pissing me off. When i'm on the bike i just say, "heh, at least i'm only on 2 wheels :smug:" and don't care that people are going 20 in a 35. [i also vowed i won't drive a car ever ever ever again if i can help it]

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Methusulah posted:

4. Waving at kids- Got my first wave from kids, it was so freaking awesome. I didn't see the big deal until then.

The kids thing is awesome because you can be sure that you are the coolest thing they've ever seen for at least a few hours afterwards. It always puts a huge poo poo eating grin on my face.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How many of you guys waved furiously at those guys riding those ridiculously colored sport bikes/ninjas when you were young?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
We didn't have many in my town growing up :( I remember staring wide eyed at one or two when I was real real young, but that's about it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, motorcycles of any variety were a rare sight in the burbs of SE Pennsylvania as I was growing up, so when I did see one as a kid I just kinda stared in awe.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

Christoff posted:

Can you go into more detail as to why you crashed, someone else did, and someone died?

I will post in the crash test thread soon.

Three Speed
Aug 27, 2009

by Peatpot
Lately I've been tossing up whether to get off my arse and get a (road)bike licence or just buy a quick car. After reading this thread and a watching a copy of On Any Sunday the former has come up trumps.
Thank You internet. Thank you Steve McQueen.

Content:
- Roaring past your friends on the back wheel as they cautiously pick their way through a creek crossing, soaking them, then riding away with your feet dry.
- The smell of burnt two-stroke
- Accidentally sending your bike into a spectacular two-wheel slide and later telling your riding buddies you were in total control.

Three Speed fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 27, 2009

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

1) The feeling of coming down into a small valley or gully in the road and feeling the -5 degree difference in temp, even if it's sunny and hot out.

2) Zipping past trees on twisty mountain back roads. Here in central PA there are a few really nice ones.

3) Getting behind a school bus in the morning, watching all the kids in the back staring and waving :3:

4) Betting in my head which Harley Davidson rider will give me "the wave" or not.

5) Pulling up next to a random, unsuspecting rider at a stop sign or red light.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

lifenomad posted:

5) Pulling up next to a random, unsuspecting rider at a stop sign or red light.

This. How could I forget this? I do this to other UJM's without fail, hoping there's a nod of mutual understanding for riding ~27 year old imports. There are also two possible outcomes I enjoy equally : his is in GREAT shape, and i'm impressed....or his is running/looking like crap, and he's impressed with me. Either way :D

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

1) The smells. From cut grass to horse pasture to wildflowers. Every mile is a different smell that you just don't get in a car
2) Bus lanes, filtering, and free parking!
3) Dicing with urban traffic. (When your brain is turned on for that kind of thing)
4) Not being in a hurry to be somewhere.
5) Riding at night, there's just something about it... I haven't done it in a while. (And I don't mean just commuting when it's dark)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Linedance posted:

5) Riding at night, there's just something about it... I haven't done it in a while. (And I don't mean just commuting when it's dark)

I have to say, I'm a fairly considerate, responsible, safe rider during the day. But at night, I ride like a loving idiot, ESPECIALLY in a city. I obey NO traffic laws, speed limits, or any sense of decency or politeness. Full-throttle acceleration at EVERY opportunity, hard on the brakes, up on sidewalks, through parking lots, alleys, splitting every lane (when not in California), etc.

I think it has something to do with learning to ride in India :\

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
1]Going places cars cant, sidewalks, unfinished roads, ect ect

2]The nod of course. No further explanation needed.

3]Teenagers yelling out "FAG" as I ride by on my scooter as I fast forward in my head a few years till I have my street triple. Heh heh, well see then. (nothing wrong with being gay of course)

4]The girls dig a guy who rides a scooter. What can I say. I'm comfortable in my sexuality and the chicks love the scoot :)

5]Leaving without notice and wandering around all day exploring new places. (I guess somebody could do that in a car, not me though. I cant stand driving cars.)

philkop fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 28, 2009

badnoodle
Jan 14, 2008
I'm a scientist. My opinions are other people's facts.
1.) The momentary sensation of weightless as you come out of a turn.
2.) Straight, well paved on ramps.
3.) Straight, well-paved on ramps with no traffic to merge into.
4.) Waving at/Getting waves from cops.
5.) Parking right next to just about any building on campus without being faculty.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Man, this thread sounds like a total advertising campaign designed to get non-bikers onto bikes. Though I'm not sure I'd want lots more people riding.

1. The minority aspect of riding. There aren't many people that ride, so when you meet someone else that rides, there's a massive sense of comraderie (and superiority) compared to car drivers.

2. The fact that you're riding somewhere. The fact that riding takes the whole body, but you don't have to move about. Each appendage does it's specific job, there's no moving hands to the gear lever or moving feet about between brake and clutch, your hands and feet stay where they are and do their jobs. It's . . . just so brilliant when you're doing it right.

3. Experiencing the journey. I've a friend who's getting into biking, and he's really bad at just looking at the end point of travelling. I love the little villages, the swoopy bends, overhanging trees, isolated houses, massive hills and the general scenery of A-roads. I'd much rather spend twice as long on the road and enjoy the trip, than just blitz down the motorway.

4. The stupid utility. Lanesplitting, free parking, massive fuel efficiency, brilliant overtaking acceleration, cheap insurance and tax . . . on something that has the performance to beat the majority of cars on the road, costing less than that shitbox of a Metro next door.

5. The sheer freedom. Unending joy of riding, of turning the next corner, seeing a sign you've never seen and just going that way because . . . why not?

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Orange Someone posted:

5. The sheer freedom. Unending joy of riding, of turning the next corner, seeing a sign you've never seen and just going that way because . . . why not?

This is so true... why not?

I got home from work and cleaned up a bit fully suspecting to eat a nice meal... when I got the "itch." Walked around aimlessly for about 3 minutes, strapped on the jacket/gloves/lid and I was off. Took a nice ride for about an hour as an appetizer, because.... why not?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Orange Someone posted:

3. Experiencing the journey. I've a friend who's getting into biking, and he's really bad at just looking at the end point of travelling. I love the little villages, the swoopy bends, overhanging trees, isolated houses, massive hills and the general scenery of A-roads. I'd much rather spend twice as long on the road and enjoy the trip, than just blitz down the motorway.

This, a million times over. Even when in my car (which isn't often now that I have a bike :) ), I hate interstates and will always opt for two lane highways that run through small towns. These are also much more likely to have fun bends. The interstates are the most boring roads ever. I only use them when forced to.

I find this to hold up pretty much the world over too. The UK and Europe are definitely the same way from my experience.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
additional 6) Getting distracted by a lady wearing a blouse cut low enough to get your attention across a busy intersection... grabbing a handful of front brake as you turn your head back to notice the tool shed in the SUV in front of you has slowed way the gently caress down like he's the one on a motorcycle as he decides if he wants to turn left or just park in the intersection... locking the front tire briefly, avoid dropping the bike by the skin of your teeth, and looking back at the aforementioned lady who is starting to smile in an embarrassed way over the fact that her rack almost killed you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

badnoodle posted:

1.) The momentary sensation of weightless as you come out of a turn.

Ok, what the hell am I doing wrong then? I want to experience weightlessness coming out of a turn. :saddowns:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity: To me that's pretty unsavoury. Am I being overly sensitive? > Spacefighter Asylum > Top 5 things that you love the poo poo out of while piloting your spacefighter

1.) The momentary sensation of weightless as you come out of a turn
2.) The faint roar transmitted through the hull as 500 tonnes of thrust are released with the thumb of the "afterburner" switch
3.) Using the Predictive Logic system to thread through nineteen beercan missiles and shred eight more with the aegis turret
4.) Being a goddamned superhero
5.) The way those bastard Kilrathi yowl a second before you turn them into smoking vacuum

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phy posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity: To me that's pretty unsavoury. Am I being overly sensitive? > Spacefighter Asylum > Top 5 things that you love the poo poo out of while piloting your spacefighter

1.) The momentary sensation of weightless as you come out of a turn
2.) The faint roar transmitted through the hull as 500 tonnes of thrust are released with the thumb of the "afterburner" switch
3.) Using the Predictive Logic system to thread through nineteen beercan missiles and shred eight more with the aegis turret
4.) Being a goddamned superhero
5.) The way those bastard Kilrathi yowl a second before you turn them into smoking vacuum

:swoon:

Maybe you just need more throttle, slidebite. A lot more throttle.

(No, I don't really know what he's talking about either. Maybe that moment as you lift the bike upright while opening the throttle?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
He's talking about hitting F3 for the 3rd person camera to navigate asteroid fields, and how there's this strange 'floaty' feeling delay after you stop touching the stick to avoid the last asteroid.

Dear Command,

WTF is with these asteroid patrols?

-Blane. Blake. Bork. Something. It's a b name, right?

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Dear Command,

WTF is with these asteroid patrols?

-Blane. Blake. Bork. Something. It's a b name, right?

You mean Blair?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Z3n posted:

Maybe you just need more throttle, slidebite. A lot more throttle.

(No, I don't really know what he's talking about either. Maybe that moment as you lift the bike upright while opening the throttle?

Maybe this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
This isn't so much about "while riding" but whenever I'm in a car and there's some kind of traffic stupidity going on, I always think "man, if I was on the bike I could go right past this poo poo."

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

redscare posted:

This isn't so much about "while riding" but whenever I'm in a car and there's some kind of traffic stupidity going on, I always think "man, if I was on the bike I could go right past this poo poo."

Oh god, I'm terible at this. To be truely honest, I'm surprised I've not been kicked out of the car by friends and family yet. Every time there's a lot of traffic, I start complaining about not being on the bike.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

redscare posted:

Went for ride in a car for the first time in months today. Mom wanted to take me out. It was horrible. I feel your pain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
5) Adding 20km to your quick grocery run because the weather's perfect and you haven't been out in a while and really need to get those carbs worked out again.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Getting home from work and sitting down on the couch and just wanting to watch some TV and relax, hearing a bike roar by and being out the door before you realize you're not inside any longer.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
1. The feel of the cool morning air biting into me as I head to work. What a way to wake up.
2. Driving past some small diner or cafe and catching a whiff of something that smells really good. (For that matter, holy crap there's all these smells in the world that I can smell now when I ride past them!)
3. The wave. Nearly every other rider I've seen has waved back or waved at me first. Yeah, it sounds stupid and I can't really explain why, but it feels incredibly cool, like being a part of some club that only some are allowed into.
4. Not hunting for parking - just pulling in right up front with the other bikes. Granted, I can't carry a weeks worth of stuff from the grocery, but hey, that just means another ride.
5. Looking cool as gently caress to little kids in my full helmet, jacket, boots, pants, and gloves.

bonus 6th item - while leaving the grocery store, this old man parks his car near me while I'm gearing up and gets out. He's got a Vietnam Veteran hat, a cane, and a pronounced limp but still goes out of his way to walk towards me. I wait a moment before I pull my helmet on. He looks right at me with this huge grin, and says "be careful out there, son." :tipshat:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Raven457 posted:

3. The wave. Nearly every other rider I've seen has waved back or waved at me first. Yeah, it sounds stupid and I can't really explain why, but it feels incredibly cool, like being a part of some club that only some are allowed into.

I have to admit, I've not waved to more bikes than I have. It sounds shameful, I know. I do my best, but when you've only been riding for 3 months, and going to the MotoGP race kinda ruins it: I passed literally HUNDREDS of bikers over the weekend and it wouldn't have been safe if we were all riding around with one arm waving. Next year i'm going to sew one of these to my jacket, and position the fingers appropriately : http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/eparty_2069_249860695

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

After registering and getting plates for the SV I took it out for a ride. Planned on a short one but put about 75 miles on it. Can echo a lot of the things people have mentioned here.

1. The feel of it, I've driven all sorts of cars but nothing really compares to the feeling of a motorcycle
2. Wind through the suit and around you, I opened up all the vents on my jacket and it was great. 83 degrees out and I wasn't hot at all but in my truck I would have been sweating my rear end off.
3. All your senses working together. Whether its keeping an eye on the idiot on the cell or smelling grass clippings a corner early and slowing down because they might be on the road.
4. The Wave from every single biker I saw
5. The looks from everyone in a car or walking

• Locked thread