Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

On that note, I have another question about Sting. Did he wrestle at house shows during 1997?

Absolutely not. If you got DDP or Scott Hall showing up it was considered a big big deal. http://www.ddtdigest.com/updates/home1997.htm for details.

I guess you had some awesome talent showing up but if you followed WCW booking you wouldn't give a gently caress about Finlay or Eddie or Benoit. Nerds loved the house shows but if you were a kid coming to see your favorite wrestler you'd better hope his name was Dave Taylor.

Minges fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Supreme Allah posted:

There was also that Don Morraco guy but he was a bit of a poseur

Don Muraco, known as "The Rock", used the Tombstone Piledriver as a finisher, and managed by a bald headed, goatee wearing "Superstar" Billy Graham.

If one of them wore a leather mask it'd be like the entire Attitude era main eventers rolled into a gigantic package.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

On that note, I have another question about Sting. Did he wrestle at house shows during 1997?
Only near the end. With Hogan.

Like others have said, aside from the Outsiders, no big names ever made towns. Even the Outsiders didn't make them often.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
All this WCW talk is reminding me of the story where WCW wanted to build the return of Rick Steiner on TV (forgive me if I'm thinking someone else, but I think it was Rick), and the day of the show the people in charge forgot to tell Rick to be there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

someone post that list of Meltzer notes during the dying days of wcw

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

All this WCW talk is reminding me of the story where WCW wanted to build the return of Rick Steiner on TV (forgive me if I'm thinking someone else, but I think it was Rick), and the day of the show the people in charge forgot to tell Rick to be there.
Happened with Flair, too. Then they chartered him a plane and didn't use him when he got there.

The funny thing is, they'd fly in shitloads of undercarders they never used on television every single week.

They wasted sooooooo much money.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

grody but still def posted:

someone post that list of Meltzer notes during the dying days of wcw

Are you asking for the Observer quotes about WCW? With facts about the show?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Are you asking for the Observer quotes about WCW? With facts about the show?

yeah that big list of dates, with such gems as

[August, 1999]
*Sid powerbombed La Parka on a bag of popcorn

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

It's been in the Rules Thread:

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=294

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

It's been in the Rules Thread

like anyone reads that

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

like anyone reads that

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

It's been in the Rules Thread:

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=294

I started reading this and eventually came across this little gem:

quote:

Quote #109

"Flair is about to be dropped from the Time Magazine Man of the Century internet balloting where he is currently in second place behind Jesus Christ. More than 20 million people have voted, making it the biggest web poll in history, with Flair getting more than 310,000 votes as of 3/31. Flair is being dropped because Janice Castro, the editor of Time.com, said his showing is due to unfair lobbying from wrestling web sites. Jesus is about to go down as well, as religious organizations have gotten members to flood the ballot box too. Time.com is planning an exit strategy, however with the God of wrestling and the Son of God removed, the big winner in the poll appears to be Adolf Hitler, who would become the front runner" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

I'm not gonna read even one more of those quotes because it can't possibly get any better than that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

quote:

Kevin Nash then came out with a black girl, I guess to show that he is cool.

I dont even know why but this one made me laugh real hard

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

quote:

"WCW.com ran a contest involving Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair. I'm actually not sure what the contest was for. Anyway, we got numerous reports from people who said that if you vote for Flair, the total number for Hogan automatically increases by five."

I totally remember the promo that this led up to. It involved Flair knee dropping a copy of WCW magazine.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

quote:

Quote #192

"When Bischoff goes heel as company President, he's going to have a black woman bodybuilder and two midgets as part of his entourage" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 6, 1999
Did this ever happen?

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Quote #229

"Hall and Nash wore Villanos masks and tried to speak Spanish" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 25, 1999

This sounds oddly amazing.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

quote:

Quote #9

"It wasn't Bret Hart driving the monster truck nor was Sid in the car that was being run over, although both were the original plan. Hart was told what part of the car to drive over and where Sid would be in the car so as to not drive over him. Hart refused saying he wasn't an experienced stunt driver. There was no problem with his decision and he was apologized to for being asked" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 10, 2000.

:) "Don't run over the driver side"

:confused: "run over the driver side?"

:ohdear: "NO DONT RUN OVER THE DRIVER SIDE"

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 28, 2009

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
"Alex Wright pinned Johnny Swinger. Swinger is Canadian and Wright is German. Crowd chanted USA"

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

"One of Ultimo Dragon's students from Naucalpan was brought in for a tryout. He was given the name 'Tam Pong' in someone's idea of a practical joke"

That student was CIMA.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

quote:

"Madusa vs. Liz were supposed to have a cage match but Luger came out dressed as a cage repair man and saved Liz. Russo came out and hit Luger with a low blow, but he was wearing a cup so he no sold it and rubbed the cup in Russo's mouth. The security maced Luger. Palumbo attacked Luger with that 60's comic book twister deal. Awesome attacked Nash. Nash called him Eddie Money, who was a rock star probably when Nash was in college, and challenged him to an ambulance match. Scott Steiner went outside for a street fight with Tank and Rick. The Goldberg monster truck made the save. Nash nearly killed Awesome with the greatest power bomb in the sport. Just before Awesome faced sure paralysis, DDP made the save to help Nash do the move before he dropped the guy on his head. The (ambulance) match ended with Awesome never put in the ambulance." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 22, 2000

I don't know which part of this is funnier - the idea of a cage repair man, or that a Goldberg monster truck made the save?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

quote:

"Chris Jericho's final WCW match was 7/21 in Peoria, IL in a tag match teaming with Eddie against Kidman and Mysterio. Before the match, Jericho said that if he got pinned he'd leave WCW. Misterio than said everyone already knew it was his last night in WCW. (After the match) all four hugged in the ring. There were fans in near tears, as was Jericho. Kidman started a Jericho chant. Jericho said that he was overwhelmed by the response, but he still thinks that Peoria sucks"

Jericho is awesome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

quote:

Quote #36

"The big finish was totally screwed up. The idea was that Jarrett and Page were to climb the scaffolding. Arquette would climb the scaffolding, hit Jarrett with the guitar, who would take the bump through the gimmicked part of the stage that they would fall through. When leaving the ring, by accident, Asya stepped on the set and fell through, so everyone could see that it was gimmicked. Arquette than ran out and apparently wasn't given directions as to what to avoid, and fell into the gimmicked part of the stage. So Jarrett and Page improvised up there with Page deciding to save the show and take the bump into what was already evident as the gimmicked hole in the stage. No idea at press time how this will be edited" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 08, 2000.

did this ever air? It's gotta be in a Botchamania somewhere.

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
I've got a question.

What was the story with Chief Morley? All I remember from it was one week Val Venis showed up and became known as Chief of Staff, Chief Morley. Then he eventually started a program with the Dudleys, and one week declared himself tag champ, before finally they just did away with it completely and he went back to being Val Venis.

I missed alot of shows during those couple of months, and my memory from that period is a little fuzzy. Plus, I didn't really browse online about wrestling like I do now, and hadn't even heard the term dirt sheet. What was the reason for the character change, and why did they just end it so abruptly and go back to the Val Venis character? Anyone know?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Graic posted:

What was the reason for the character change, and why did they just end it so abruptly and go back to the Val Venis character? Anyone know?

The reason was just that they wanted to turn him heel and having him play Bischoff's lackey was as good a way as any. As for ending it so abruptly, I think his original tag partner was Regal and Regal got fired/suspended/injured, so they quickly paired him with Lance Storm instead, just to give the titles to RVD and Kane (2003 was such a bizarre year) and then abandoned the whole thing, probably because while Val Venis was a dead-end gimmick, it was at least over and Chief Morley, in addition to Val not really being all that great at playing a heel by himself, wasn't going to take Val to new, dizzying heights.

DominatedOhSix
Sep 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Does anyone have pictures of the old WCW sets/stages for Nitro and Thunder? GIS isn't doing much and I keep reading about them but don't remember a thing.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Wrestling Observer Newsletter posted:

"The 12/18 Nitro was supposed to practically be built around Rick Steiner as the surprise guy, but he wasn't there because they forgot to tell him" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 01, 2001

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

quote:

"Michael Buffer came out for absolutely no reason. See, he was there to announce the main event. But get this, there was no main event. Flair, at this moment, fell out of the turnip truck, grabbed a hoe and kept falling down" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 22, 1999

quote:

"WCW took out a huge ad in USA Today with the new logo which read "Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car", and never mentioned wrestling once" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

quote:

"Thursday was supposed to be a grudge Flair vs. Benoit lumberjack match. However, WCW forgot to tell Flair he was booked. Jason Hervey was in Charlotte at request of management and they gave Flair off Thunder because they were producing an upcoming Flair home video, but never informed the people writing the show about Flair having the day off. When they panicked since Flair wasn't there at 6pm, they called him and told him to get to Syracuse. At the cost of thousands of dollars, they chartered a flight from Charlotte to Syracuse to get Flair to Thunder, but due to the weather problems it couldn't get off the ground until 7pm. The show was put together with the idea that Flair would do several interviews building to the Benoit match. So virtually the entire Thunder show was filling time. Flair finally arrived at 9:55pm, but they had already changed plans for the show because they had to be off the air at 10:03pm because TBS decreed that the Chimp movie had to start on time. When Flair got there, they told him he wasn't needed and to go right back home. So, as a panic move, the decision was made to turn the Kanyon-Saturn singles match into a tag title match. However, Bam Bam Bigelow wasn't there either, so Kanyon defended the titles with Page with zero explanation given to have this make sense. It wasn't even announced as a title match until about a minute left" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 21, 1999

God I miss WCW.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

TL posted:

"WCW took out a huge ad in USA Today with the new logo which read "Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car", and never mentioned wrestling once" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

I have to, HAVE TO see this.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite moments of 2000-01 WCW is this promo Page and Nash cut when they were a tag team. They were in the ring cutting the promo, but there was clearly this light above them that was swinging back and forth. They kept getting distracted and looking up at it and it was the most hilarious and surreal loving thing.

mode
Jul 13, 2003

Scratch
How come WWE used to show highlights from the previous PPV on Raw/SM only in still picture form .... And now, they actually show video clips from the PPV?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

mode posted:

How come WWE used to show highlights from the previous PPV on Raw/SM only in still picture form .... And now, they actually show video clips from the PPV?

They want you to buy the replays of the PPV.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Batmanuel posted:

They want you to buy the replays of the PPV.

And they still somewhat do the still image bullshit - but they've gotten smarter about it.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Grisham saying "I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW" while the screen is blacked out is a good way to get viewers.

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
I think the reason that some cite Sting as not passionate because he was never political backstage in regards to things that are meant to be political play. At least that's what I remember Bruce Mitchell saying.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Does anyone do an Inverted Chokeslam?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pneub posted:

Does anyone do an Inverted Chokeslam?

Morishima

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

nyratk1 posted:

And they still somewhat do the still image bullshit - but they've gotten smarter about it.

I've noticed on smackdown (just recently started catching it when I can on hulu) that whenever someone connects with a chair (or for example Mike Knox with the steel stairs) or something of that sort or even sometimes with top rope moves they freeze frame right before impact and then just skip forward without ever showing the end result. On a free show like Smackdown is there a reason they're editing the replays like that? It's pretty annoying :(

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've noticed on smackdown (just recently started catching it when I can on hulu) that whenever someone connects with a chair (or for example Mike Knox with the steel stairs) or something of that sort.. and even sometimes with top rope moves they freeze frame right before impact and then just skip forward without ever showing the end result. On a free show like Smackdown is there a reason they're editing the replays like that? It's pretty annoying :(

It's a direct rip of the Canadian/British version, they're not allowed to show weaponry or man-on-woman violence.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ahh, so its not like that when its originally aired in the states then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulex
Apr 4, 2007

A shpectre is haunting Europe - the shpectre of Shlavoj Zizek... and so on and so on.

It's a direct rip of the Canadian/British version, they're not allowed to show weaponry or man-on-woman violence.

On the 'daytime' version. The 'late night' version they show hasn't got anything edited out.