Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

quote:

Quote #39

"Hogan did the first huricanrana of his career" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 15, 2000

This I need to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

All of this talk about WCW in here reminded me of something. Did they ever have an Ultimate Warrior rip-off? I seem to remember seeing this on WCW Saturday Night in the mid-90's. I remember Warrior himself coming in for the oWn but I think they had some guy doing a similar gimmick that never went anywhere.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

All of this talk about WCW in here reminded me of something. Did they ever have an Ultimate Warrior rip-off? I seem to remember seeing this on WCW Saturday Night in the mid-90's. I remember Warrior himself coming in for the oWn but I think they had some guy doing a similar gimmick that never went anywhere.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Renegade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Williams

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

Yup, The Renegade, who was pushed as shameless a ripoff as a ripoff can be pushed, even getting the TV Title. Then WCW signed the REAL Warrior, and having no need for the imposter, WCW shitcanned him and this depressed the guy so much he killed himself shortly after.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Cozz posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Renegade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Williams

Thanks, that's him.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

BigRed0427 posted:

This I need to see.

He TOOK the rana. Dave's crappy sentence structure still fools people a decade later.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

whatsabattle posted:

He TOOK the rana. Dave's crappy sentence structure still fools people a decade later.

drat, I want to see a Hulkacanrana (or Frankenhulkster).

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

drat, I want to see a Hulkacanrana (or Frankenhulkster).

Sorry, you're gonna have to settle for a hurriKanerana

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

quote:

Flair finally arrived at 9:55pm, but they had already changed plans for the show because they had to be off the air at 10:03pm because TBS decreed that the Chimp movie had to start on time.

Goddamn it's good to be reminded that even today there is still nothing that compares to the perfect storm of poo poo that was WCW.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn it's good to be reminded that even today there is still nothing that compares to the perfect storm of poo poo that was WCW.

Its really sad to me because there were decades where WCW was a solid product, that was never as big as WWF was going to be, but they put on a simple old school entertaining show I mean, sure they did some dumb poo poo.

Then things started to pick up and they were real competition for Vince and it was like the underdog (as much as an underdog as a company owned by a billionaire thats part of a huge media conglomerate could be) making good and then dear god what is happening its like some kind of Tetsuo poo poo dear god make it stop before it destroys the world .

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

FishBulb posted:

Its really sad to me because there were decades where WCW was a solid product, that was never as big as WWF was going to be, but they put on a simple old school entertaining show I mean, sure they did some dumb poo poo.

Decades? WCW only existed for about 13 years. Not even a decade and a half.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Watching the WrestleMania special right now, two thoughts in my head: First, sweet Jesus, HBK and Undertaker should have been the main event. Second, who's kicked out of the Tombstone other than Kane and Shawn Michaels? I can't think of anyone else. Did Hogan do it?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

TL posted:

Watching the WrestleMania special right now, two thoughts in my head: First, sweet Jesus, HBK and Undertaker should have been the main event. Second, who's kicked out of the Tombstone other than Kane and Shawn Michaels? I can't think of anyone else. Did Hogan do it?

Didnt hogan not just kick out, but no sell the tombstone entirely?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

WeaselWeaz posted:

Decades? WCW only existed for about 13 years. Not even a decade and a half.

I think he means WCW/NWA

Lucania
May 1, 2009

Sionistic posted:

Yes, Survivor Series 1991 - around 11:25. He was up within 2 seconds.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Captain Charisma posted:

I think he means WCW/NWA

Of course I do but it's much more fun to try and correct people over tiny things.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Sionistic posted:

I think batista has kicked out of it too

And Cena will at WM27

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fallon posted:

I think batista has kicked out of it too

And Cena will at WM27

I think they would give Cena the streak.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lucania posted:

Yes, Survivor Series 1991 - around 11:25. He was up within 2 seconds.

Did'nt Hogan eventualy lose that match though thanks to interference from Flair?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Did'nt Hogan eventualy lose that match though thanks to interference from Flair?

yeah, he lost after a tombstone on a steel chair.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

FishBulb posted:

Of course I do but it's much more fun to try and correct people over tiny things.

It isn't really tiny, they were two different groups with different owners. And even then, "decades" still doesn't really work because there were only two decades where Vince's WWF existed: The 80s and 90s. So, really, you can't count and that throws me off.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Honestly I thought someone would call me a fag for referencing an anime in that post, not for being hyperbolic with my timeline.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FishBulb posted:

Honestly I thought someone would call me a fag for referencing an anime in that post, not for being hyperbolic with my timeline.

We like to keep things fresh.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

grody but still def posted:

I think they would give Cena the streak.

I think Cena would probably pull a Kane and refuse to take it. Cena seems like that kinda guy. :unsmith:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think Cena would probably pull a Kane and refuse to take it. Cena seems like that kinda guy. :unsmith:

I don't know this story. Did Kane refuse to take a victory of Undertaker at Mania?

And I still don't think there's any way that Taker loses the streak. That's his legacy, and I think Vince/Steph/creative will do everything possible to preserve it.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 30, 2009

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Professor Funk posted:

I don't know this story. Did Kane refuse to take a victory of Undertaker at Mania?

IIRC that's pretty much it. Everyone (including Taker) except for Kane was okay with the idea of Kane breaking the streak and Kane refused to do it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah. Kane was booked to go over at WM14 (I think), and it had Vince's and 'Taker's OKs. Kane declined and asked that 'Taker get the win instead.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Marcade posted:

IIRC that's pretty much it. Everyone (including Taker) except for Kane was okay with the idea of Kane breaking the streak and Kane refused to do it.

That's really awesome. It makes me love Kane that much more.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Professor Funk posted:

That's really awesome. It makes me love Kane that much more.

Yeah, it's a big part of the reason I'm such a Kane fan. He's such a nice drat guy.

Made You Look
Oct 17, 2008

Jerichoholics Anonymous

SamuraiFoochs posted:

As much as the whole gimmick gets annoying from time to time, I really do think that Cena would do this. But I mean with a streak like that, Undertakes last match is going to have to be a Wrestlemania loss to someone that they want to put over HUGE

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why did Michael Buffer stop being an announcer at wrestling PPV's? I dont watch boxing so as a kid i allways associated him with wrestling.

Nothing To See Here
Apr 14, 2009

Funny List posted:

Quote #68

"Scott Steiner was arrested from an incident at the TV tapings the night before which ended up being edited off television. They were doing a stretcher job deal and Steiner started kicking one of the EMT's, apparently thinking they weren't real EMT's. As it turned out, they used real EMT's, and one of them decided to press (police) charges" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 29, 2001

Don't ever change Mr. Steiner :smug:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Oasx posted:

Why did Michael Buffer stop being an announcer at wrestling PPV's? I dont watch boxing so as a kid i allways associated him with wrestling.

Hes expensive, and nobody is going to buy a PPV for him.

WCW used him because they didn't care about wasting money at the time.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

WWE did get Buffer once, for the Royal Rumble in 2008 at Madison Square Garden. It was really.....something.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

FishBulb posted:

Hes expensive, and nobody is going to buy a PPV for him.

WCW used him because they didn't care about wasting money at the time.

He was a plus for some entrances.

Then again that was a pretty great entrance for Goldberg.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

The guy is a fine announcer but wasn't he charging like 250K an appearance?

Its just not worth it.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

FishBulb posted:

The guy is a fine announcer but wasn't he charging like 250K an appearance?

Its just not worth it.

I wonder if Bruce Buffer is for hire. I find him a lot more fun and interesting than Michael

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HulkaMatt posted:

He was a plus for some entrances.

Then again that was a pretty great entrance for Goldberg.

Yeah, but he didn't do much for Bret Clark.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 30, 2009

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Well we all know Fink is the greatest and WWE are still dumb for not using him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Made You Look posted:

As much as the whole gimmick gets annoying from time to time, I really do think that Cena would do this. But I mean with a streak like that, Undertakes last match is going to have to be a Wrestlemania loss to someone that they want to put over HUGE

No one's going to take it. I'm convinced that Taker is gonna retire with the streak.

If HHH jobbed to Taker at WM, ANYONE will :haw: