Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

chazburgr posted:

I wonder if Bruce Buffer is for hire. I find him a lot more fun and interesting than Michael

it took him years to realize royce = hoyce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

grody but still def posted:

I counter that with the Buffer 180/360

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Royce Gracie fight once in UFC during Bruce Buffer's tenure..

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Royce Gracie fight once in UFC during Bruce Buffer's tenure..

yeah cuz he's not a relevant figure in the history of mma at all

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yeah cuz he's not a relevant figure in the history of mma at all

I don't remember seeing Bruce Buffer talk about Royce Gracie that often.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

I don't remember seeing Bruce Buffer talk about Royce Gracie that often.
his job is to introduce fighters, he should at least know how to pronounce their names.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

chazburgr posted:

I wonder if Bruce Buffer is for hire. I find him a lot more fun and interesting than Michael

Nope, UFC has him signed to an exclusive contract.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just watched the Hardy and Morrison vs The Hart Dynasty match from smackdown and something is really odd about Matt Hardy.. I don't know how to explain it but he just seems stiff? Seems to take him forever to get up off the mat and he seems to have very low mobility and flexibility in general. Is this because of the injury he had recently or has he always been that way?

Edit: The next match was a vault match between he and Mysterio and he looked far more mobile. Guess that answered my question. Strange.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 31, 2009

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just watched the Hardy and Morrison vs The Hart Dynasty match from smackdown and something is really odd about Matt Hardy.. I don't know how to explain it but he just seems stiff? Seems to take him forever to get up off the mat and he seems to have very low mobility and flexibility in general. Is this because of the injury he had recently or has he always been that way?

Edit: The next match was a vault match between he and Mysterio and he looked far more mobile. Guess that answered my question. Strange.

He's just recently had fairly major surgery on his abdominal wall, and for at least the last couple of years his guts have almost literally been leaking, which makes the level he has actually managed to perform at pretty phenomenal.

It's also incredibly stupid, and I can't believe he has come back as early as he has. That said, he's probably also impressed the likes of Vince McMahon no end with his dedication and guaranteed a long, long, long career in WWE unless another Lita situation was to blow up in his face.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

HulkaMatt posted:

Well we all know Fink is the greatest and WWE are still dumb for not using him.

Is there any reasoning for this beyond "He doesn't have boobies"?

I have to say, ring announcing has gone way downhill since Fink stopped doing it full-time. I will say, though, that I'm a big fan of Justin Roberts on SmackDown.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Why do a lot of people here hate Cena? He's good on the mic, he's a good worker, and he seems like a pretty nice guy in real life. Am I missing something?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

bonesquid posted:

Why do a lot of people here hate Cena? He's good on the mic, he's a good worker, and he seems like a pretty nice guy in real life. Am I missing something?

He's one part of the stale main event scene on Raw. It's been variations of Cena/Orton/HHH/Batista for a really long time now. When he's not in the main event, the vitriol level goes down a lot. But when it's title shot after title shot, things get boring.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bonesquid posted:

its not that we hate cena just when his booking gets stale. we voted him as our favorite wrestler of the year in 07

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I love Cena, but I think it's mostly the booking. His Superman-like year plus run as world champion would get much more love if it weren't for the cutesy promos he had to cut week in and week out. Whenever he has to do a more serious promo, he brings the goods. Frankly, I don't know why they don't have him do it more often. He's so over that it's not like he's going to get any less popular by not doing "JBL IS POOPY" for a few weeks.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

bonesquid posted:

Aside from all the above, I think there's some reasonable criticism of his ringwork (he's a poor seller, his punches don't look that good which is a problem for his brawling style, his STF is sold like death even though he's not really pushed as a technical wrestler, he tends to blow through his spots really quickly) and his promo skills. But I do agree most people around here give him a break when he isn't being pushed endlessly or in a terribly boring feud like his recent set with Big Show.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

"Russo wanted to be dragged behind the (monster) truck through the desert by Goldberg but the higher ups nixed the angle. Russo was very upset about this" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 11, 2000

Ladies and gentlemen, this is our sport.

Sportish.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Whatever happened to belts actually meaning something? Seems nowadays belts change hands so frequently that they seem to have lost all meaning. Years ago I remember the Intercontinental belt being important in that it was the stepping stone to the big eagle - I remember many occasions where the IC title holder would be granted number one contender status and given a shot for the world title at certain pay per views and I thought that was a fantastic way to graduate guys from the midcard to the main event.. now it seems like belts change hands two or three times in a month.

Whatever happened to long building feuds, big payoffs and rare but special (usually at a pay per view) title changes? Did the attitude era (stopped watching at a fairly young age, got back into it recently and missed that entire era) cause wrestling ADD so badly that there are no slow build feuds or long title reigns anymore? Have there been any long periods of one guy holding a title recently?

Thanks for answering my silly questions - trying to ease myself back into being a casual fan after a long, long time away.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Whatever happened to long building feuds, big payoffs and rare but special (usually at a pay per view) title changes?
Weekly TV and monthly PPVs!

quote:

Did the attitude era (stopped watching at a fairly young age, got back into it recently and missed that entire era) cause wrestling ADD so badly that there are no slow build feuds or long title reigns anymore?
Yes!

quote:

Have there been any long periods of one guy holding a title recently?
There have been 6 world champions in the past 5 years that have held their titles for at least 200 days. But this year there have been more surprise title changes than usual.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

TL posted:

Is there any reasoning for this beyond "He doesn't have boobies"?

I have to say, ring announcing has gone way downhill since Fink stopped doing it full-time. I will say, though, that I'm a big fan of Justin Roberts on SmackDown.

I've always been a big fan of Tony Chimel. Not sure why he's on ECW and not Smackdown but you take what you can get I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Whatever happened to belts actually meaning something?

I will say that I've really dug Rey Mysterio's IC Title reign and it's annoying as hell that he went and got himself suspended and we aren't likely to see the proper ending to his feud with Ziggler. On Smackdown recently the IC Champion has been in GREAT matches against the WHC of the time.

So in answer to your question, the answer as usual to almost any complaint is to watch Smackdown!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

bonesquid posted:

He is booked terribly, brings good matches only very occasionally, and is a gigantic ham. I honestly don't really care that he's a nice guy IRL, since I just find him boring and stale.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's because I don't really watch WWE anymore, but how many times in the past couple of years has there actually been a reason for a title match other than "Welp, guess I'm next in line."

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
How often throughout the history of wrestling has there been a good feud for the title that wasn't about the title itself?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

How often throughout the history of wrestling has there been a good feud for the title that wasn't about the title itself?

Well, there are plenty of good feuds that involve a title, you're asking whether there is a good title based feud that isn't title based.

examples: hbk vs jericho from last year, stone cold steve austin vs mr. mcmahon, triple h vs batista

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Punk/Jeff?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Wazzu posted:

Well, there are plenty of good feuds that involve a title, you're asking whether there is a good title based feud that isn't title based.

examples: hbk vs jericho from last year, stone cold steve austin vs mr. mcmahon, triple h vs batista

HBK vs Jericho from 6 years ago too.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Nothing To See Here posted:

Don't ever change Mr. Steiner :smug:

Huh?!

As for content, I was at the Syracuse Thunder show. It was just a gigantic cluster. DDP was out multiple times, and the end saw Benoit win a title I think. It was pretty sloppy.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Wazzu posted:

Well, yeah, if you want to use ones that don't support my post as examples.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Flair/Savage in '92.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

al snow/big boss man/pepper

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I know that back before I took a break from wrestling you looked at Flair's title record (then it was something like 13? I can't remember) and it was really impressive. Nowadays guys like Triple H seem to add to their title numbers every day by lunch time.

Thinking back its amazing to see the list of guys that were IC champs before making it to the main event (or at least going on to bigger things). Bret Hart, Curt Henning, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Diesel, Jeff Jarrett, Owen Hart, Steve Austin, The Rock, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and the list goes on and on.

Then again for every one of those guys you've got guys like The Mountie, Ahmed Johnson, The Godfather, Chyna and other embarrassments.

I grew up during the cartoon character era (or so a friend of mine calls it that) but I'd trade a Mr. Perfect or Million Dollar Man gimmick for a dozen "Straight Edge Superstar" reality gimmicks any day. Watching the events leading up to the unveiling of the million dollar belt were some of the most entertaining vignettes I've ever seen - then I saw the 'spinner' belt and my eyes nearly rolled into the back of my head, haha.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Am I the only one that remembers a point toward the end of WCW where they actually put something up on their website where they were looking for story line ideas...from the fans?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
People, just because someone says "how often..." doesn't mean you have to point out every instance that goes against their point. It just means that those instances are in the minority. Goddamn nerds.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Judakel posted:

People, just because someone says "how often..." doesn't mean you have to point out every instance that goes against their point. It just means that those instances are in the minority. Goddamn nerds.

Everything must be corrected, regardless of its merit, what else is there to do on this forum other than nitpick minor errors and show off your vast encyclopedic knowledge of wrestling lore?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Everything must be corrected, regardless of its merit, what else is there to do on this forum other than nitpick minor errors and show off your vast encyclopedic knowledge of wrestling lore?

go outside and play kickball

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
There should always be a mix. I like the cartoon wrestlers of yesteryear but I also like the "reality" gimmicks from some wrestlers. I believe CM Punk is a diamond in a rough. Does great promos, great facial expressions, knows how to wrestle, and is only going to get better at his craft. And he doesn't yell too which is great!!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

What is the deal with lawler and his 110 belts or whatever number?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

JavyOO7 posted:

There should always be a mix. I like the cartoon wrestlers of yesteryear but I also like the "reality" gimmicks from some wrestlers. I believe CM Punk is a diamond in a rough. Does great promos, great facial expressions, knows how to wrestle, and is only going to get better at his craft. And he doesn't yell too which is great!!

Cut to:

"CM Punk died in a car crash on his way to a show..." The tragedy of pro-wrestling.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

projecthalaxy posted:

What is the deal with lawler and his 110 belts or whatever number?

Lawler is a big name in Memphis and has won a ton of regional titles in that area/with promotions down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JavyOO7 posted:

I really enjoyed the gimmicks in the past that were somewhat based in reality with cartoony aspects. Mr. Perfect (A guy who is naturally good at things), The Million Dollar Man (Power hungry rich guy - basically just the Mr. McMahon character really), Razor Ramon (Don't ask me, it just worked), Diesel (Bodyguard bouncer type) and so on. The extra bit of over-the-top brought the characters to life without making them something ridiculous to me.

I've never been a fan of Gimmicks that go too far over the top. (Ultimate Warrior and Papa Shango to name a few) I guess its hard to walk a fine line between far and too far. The Undertaker is one of my exceptions - when the whole Paul Bearer as manager and fueled by the urn era hit I thought it was brilliant and interesting.

I also really miss managers that actually served a purpose. I think guys like Lance Storm, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit (before the incident) - Guys that were amazing in the ring but not so great on the mic all would have benefited from an actual skilled manager on the mic like a Heenan, Paul Bearer or a Jimmy Hart.