Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Hobo Camp posted:

I planted those broccoli seeds on Tuesday and then California decided to invite over the worst heat wave ever. It was 105 yesterday. I don't think my broccoli is gonna grow :(.

But I saw a tomato bulb today! So excited.

Meanwhile, my two tomato plants that I thought were finished have 8 new little yellow flowers. Woah! I also had put in two planters, one of lettuce greens, one of scallions and (optimistically) some carrots, and after this week they are blazing their way through sprouthood. It was such a slow start this summer because it rarely got about 70 degrees by me, which is not normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banana Factory
Mar 14, 2009
I have three tomato plants now, one cherry tomato, one "Mr. Stripey", and one "better boy"

They all have varying problems of dropping flowers. I feed the plants a complete fertilizer and water them every day. Their soil has lots of organic matter and perlite to keep it fluffy. They occasionally get attacked by hornworms but I am getting better at finding them before they do too much damage. It's hot around here but not too hot for growing tomatoes, I don't think. They are outdoors in pots and they are very big pots and they get a ton of direct sun. All three get the same soil, water, and fertilizer.

Mr. Stripey has not made a single tomato yet, every flower blossoms and falls right off. It has a reasonable number of blossoms, too. It grows a ton of branches just fine.

Better Boy has has occasional tomatoes over the course of this year. Something always ruins them, but at least it has them. It has two tomatoes and they haven't been ruined yet. Fingers are crossed. It grows branches very slowly.

Cherry tomato plant has 3 or 4 tomatoes on the plant at any given time. But I know it should have more for its size. Entire clusters of flowers produce between zero and one tomatoes. It is by far the most successful tomato plant, but a single hornworm stripped the entire plant and it's starting over now.

So what is wrong with these plants?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Klarre posted:

I have a 80watt CFL

Where the hell do you have a 80w CFL for?!?

I've heard that dwarf varieties of tomatoes work best for growing under growlights. Don't expect wonders for your tomato sizes...

Fame Throwa posted:

I want to start an herb garden in my apartment, but all the windows are west-facing and are shaded by some old trees. They get mostly direct sun for about 6 hours. Is it light enough to grow stuff, or will I have to purchase a lamp? I really hope I don't have to.

You might not need grow lights after all. Does your apartment have fluorescent lights?

For everyone thinking about getting growlights for plants, don't forget about that light that they put out lots of light, possibly enough to be annoying. You may want to set aside a closet for this if you have the space. Also, your neighbors may or may not think you're growing :420:

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

hepscat posted:

Meanwhile, my two tomato plants that I thought were finished have 8 new little yellow flowers. Woah!

I am so amazed by how fast they grow! And how resilient they are. One of my tomato pods got a teeny bud yesterday, and today it's several inches tall. The other pod, however, had nothing for days and I was thinking of throwing it away. I picked it up just a few minutes ago and saw this:

Similarly, I watered my cantaloupe seeds this morning and it was just dirt. I planted them just 4-5 days ago, though, so I wasn't worried. It usually takes 7 days.

I just walked by one of the pods and saw this:

It happened in a matter of two hours. I am so shocked, and SO IN LOVE :swoon:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I'm so happy; I got back from my 2.5 months away from home and my mum held up her part of the bargain by not letting the weeds get too settled in my plot! The plant I thought was a courgette turned out to be a pumpkin (there was a mixup when a squirrel dug in my seed tray) and has taken over a huge portion of the garden. I had no idea they grew like crazy!

In terms of produce, I now have:
-a white pumpkin the size of a football which I'm leaving on the plant to see if I can coax into growing bigger. The plant doesn't seem to have any other flowers on it though :confused:

-plenty of leeks. My mum hadn't thinned any of them out so I went round yesterday and picked a few of the smaller ones out and ate them

-Lots of green tomatoes on what were 3 straggly little plants that I didn't think would survive.

-a potted courgette plant with new shoots on it.

Everything's looking a little jaded though, and it's a shame I missed the snow pea season, so I'm going to do a proper feed and weed cleanup this week to give them a September boost.

Question- If I my tomatoes are seemingly happy but not perfectly upright, should I bother staking them?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

madlilnerd posted:

Question- If I my tomatoes are seemingly happy but not perfectly upright, should I bother staking them?

The reason for staking tomatoes is to plant them more densely on the same amount of land and to keep the fruits out of the reach of critters on the ground. If you got the space and you don't have garden visitors, let 'em hang down.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

kid sinister posted:

The reason for staking tomatoes is to plant them more densely on the same amount of land and to keep the fruits out of the reach of critters on the ground. If you got the space and you don't have garden visitors, let 'em hang down.

I had a quick look today and it looks like something has been having a nibble here and there. The culprit is probably slugs or mice so I think I might stake them. Thanks for the advice!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

madlilnerd posted:

I had a quick look today and it looks like something has been having a nibble here and there. The culprit is probably slugs or mice so I think I might stake them. Thanks for the advice!
If it's slugs, put beer in a tin and bury it flush at the edges with the soil. Leave it out overnight and then throw out the dead slugs. Repeat until slugs don't go swimming anymore.

Damiana
Feb 15, 2008
Title Placeholder
I was wondering if you guys have any tips of what to plant for the fall. I live in Zone 8a. I have very limited room. I want to do a couple pots of herbs, courgettes and luffas in the spring. Is there anything I can plant right now? I can't bring anything inside as the cats adore spreading dirt across the floor.

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

"You're leading the innocent astray..."
So I've peat-pot-planted a bunch of heritage seeds that I got from thelostseed.com.au - and most are doing fine. On the far right (two collumns) are cucumbers, the middle collumn are heritage pumpkins... but as you can see, the far left (two collumns) haven't sprouted at all. They've been in their little seedling box that usually has a plastic transparent lid on it, for about 10 days now. Should I start to worry, or do you think they'll germinate 'all in good time'? Anything I can do to facilitate this?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Damiana posted:

I was wondering if you guys have any tips of what to plant for the fall. I live in Zone 8a. I have very limited room. I want to do a couple pots of herbs, courgettes and luffas in the spring. Is there anything I can plant right now? I can't bring anything inside as the cats adore spreading dirt across the floor.

Broad beans should germinate in good time to be strong enough to withstand winter, if you plant them now. They won't produce beans until early spring though. If you're cautious and use a well sheltered site you could get away with planting carrots right now too, and different sources all over the place are arguing about this, but one website suggested peas to me.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

For some reason all my squash & zucs died suddenly, while my tomatoes and everything else remained fine. I'm not sure what happened but I can only assume it was disease.

I grew these from seeds too. :(

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Behold! The fruits of my labour!

..oh. :(

On the upside, I now know that beets don't like being swamped in a flowerbed full of pretty pink annuals, but that they will grow in my soil.

The other response to this is "why did I even bother trying to grow beets, they taste rank."

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Shazzner posted:

For some reason all my squash & zucs died suddenly, while my tomatoes and everything else remained fine. I'm not sure what happened but I can only assume it was disease.

I grew these from seeds too. :(

Actually, all mine did too, and I was talking to my sister. Hers did too. We had these little black bugs that ate through the base of the vine to about a foot up, and then it rotted. Was yours similar? I had a couple plants that somehow managed to send roots down further up the stem and I'll get something, but it ended up being at least an 80% loss.

Was yours similar, and does anyone have any advice for us?

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Well, I just found out why my cantaloupe seeds that I planted outside aren't growing. Yesterday I saw leaves, and I figured just one seed had germinated. Cool. I went back in the afternoon and it was gone. GONE. I looked around and saw bird plumes all over the place.

loving birds are eating my plants! What the hell do I do about this? I have a lot of pods inside the apartment that I need to transfer to the ground in the next couple of days but the stupid birds are just gonna eat them. Ugh, now I have no idea what to do. No freaking way I can grow cantaloupe in doors.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Actually, all mine did too, and I was talking to my sister. Hers did too. We had these little black bugs that ate through the base of the vine to about a foot up, and then it rotted. Was yours similar? I had a couple plants that somehow managed to send roots down further up the stem and I'll get something, but it ended up being at least an 80% loss.

Was yours similar, and does anyone have any advice for us?

That's kind of spooky...

Well the base of my plants look kind of ok but yeah they're spotted with insects. The leaves turned brown a bit and I thought I was overwatering them since I've had that happen but I leave for vacation for three days and bam they're gone. The leaves melted.

My tomato plants are growing monstrously; they even pulled up the cages on them. Hopefully they won't be as tasteless as my sweet italian peppers. :(

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!

kid sinister posted:

You might not need grow lights after all. Does your apartment have fluorescent lights?

No, just some really lovely incandescent lights. It's like a goddamn cave in here at night.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

madlilnerd posted:

Behold! The fruits of my labour!

..oh. :(

On the upside, I now know that beets don't like being swamped in a flowerbed full of pretty pink annuals, but that they will grow in my soil.

The other response to this is "why did I even bother trying to grow beets, they taste rank."

What are you on about, beets are delicious.

If you don't like them boiled, then you should pickle them or something. They're pretty good.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'd rather eat the devil's rear end in a top hat than a beet in any form. :colbert:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Hobo Camp posted:

loving birds are eating my plants! What the hell do I do about this?

There's a fair bit you can do to deter birds. They're surprisingly easy to freak out.

-Hang up CDs (free ones like those ones AOL used to send out) and the defracting light freaks them out
-Rip the tape out from a cassette or betamax and string it tightly between poles- it makes this weird humming sound in the wind and they don't like it.
-Put netting or a fruit cage over your plants so they can't physically get to them.
-Make a small scarecrowy thing out of a cross made from bamboo, a big flappy tshirt and a scarf. The more bits that flap and move the better.

Between the pigeons and the mice, I had barely any pea plants come up this year. I ended up just germinating them inside until they got to about 4cm tall.

Slung Blade posted:

What are you on about, beets are delicious.

n-uh, they are icky goat food.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

I'm also trying to grow plants in my apartment and I was wondering what herbs and other plants that might work in a small apartment that gets a lot of sunlight during the day, has incandescent lights, and basically no porch space. I bought the You Grow Girl! book, but there really isn't that much information on growing things in my type of apartment. I live in Zone 5B. Thanks!

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Thanks for the tips, madlilnerd. My neighbors already think I'm strange enough, so I think I'll use the CD and tape idea to freak them out even further. Awesome.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fame Throwa posted:

No, just some really lovely incandescent lights. It's like a goddamn cave in here at night.

In that case you will need grow lights. I would recommend just getting a small fluorescent fixture and getting one or two grow bulbs. They sell fluorescent grow bulbs as well as fixtures in most hardware stores. A timer might be nice too.

Phadedsky posted:

I'm also trying to grow plants in my apartment and I was wondering what herbs and other plants that might work in a small apartment that gets a lot of sunlight during the day, has incandescent lights, and basically no porch space. I bought the You Grow Girl! book, but there really isn't that much information on growing things in my type of apartment. I live in Zone 5B. Thanks!

If you got enough sunlight and your windowsills don't get so cold in the winter (i.e. not stone), you can definitely grow most herbs year-round on your windowsill. The reason I say "most" is that a few herbs are dedicated annuals (like cilantro) and simply will not grow indefinitely. Still, others will get rather leggy and unattractive if grown too long. For those you can cut them down to the roots or start cuttings.

Hobo Camp posted:

loving birds are eating my plants!

The birds are pulling up the seedlings and eating the seeds still attached. Gotta hand it to them, smart little bastards...

You might be putting the seedlings out too soon. Give the plants more time to establish so that the seed will actually get all used up, not to mention the plant has grown more roots and can resist a tug.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 5, 2009

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
I just planted the ones I grew inside because they were beginning to wilt in the pods. I did that this morning and I've been checking up on them every 30 minutes or so and they've been doing okay. I worry about the soil, though. It's so freaking dry up here. But I water them a lot and one of them is already doing better in the ground than it was in the pod. I also transplanted the pepper and while doing so I spotted a little broccoli bud coming through. Go little broccoli, go!

Thank God it's getting much cooler because the triple digit weather killed a lot of my flowers. rear end in a top hat California weather.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay so it's getting to be pretty late for planting in my area this year, however I moved into this place last month so I haven't had nearly as much time (or tools, until payday) to get my beds cleaned up and get some stuff germinated, but at long last I've been able put seed to ground.

Took a couple days of turning over dirt and pulling out all the weeds and roots by hand and then folding in buckets of compost (from the free composter I scored from a neighbor a week or two ago, already full of black gold,) however I now have a couple rather promising-looking beds in my front yard. I planted a few kinds of garlic, tossed around some lettuce and some salad mix in hopes that it will survive overwinter, and frankly I'm just stoked at how beautiful this dirt is (until you get 12" down, when it promptly turns to solid clay,) and how awesome it is to not have to really do any major prep (outside of the weeds and roots which were a goddamned chore) the soil before it'd be reasonably fertile.

Two rows of red garlic with a row of lettuce down the center.

Also, the poor, horribly sunburnt blueberry which I feared would die when I moved in - almost every leaf on the plant is brown for half of it, amazing what a distance of 6 feet can make when it comes to two identical blueberries which were neglected for a few months, since it's brother plant is hale and hearty and has not a touch of sunburn.. Should I trim the dead portions of the leaves off? Leave them to fall off and regenerate? I've never really hosed with a badly badly sunburnt plant which I truly wanted to keep alive..

Two rows of garlic, a packet of "Winter-Ready Salad Mix" seed from my local seed store, and my squash and lemon cucumber plants.. The squash is already getting damned big so I will probably need to trim it to keep it from pissing me off.

Also, note the stakes on the grass - cuttings from when I attacked the filbert tree's offshoots and poo poo. I had them in the ground until i noticed that they'd almost immediately starte dsending out shoots and sucking up water, so I think I'll season them for a season :laugh: before I try to use them as bean-poles!

Beautiful, clean dirt. Who knows what I will put in there? Carrots? Onions? Snow Peas? (actually, probably all of those, and maybe some broccoli if it's early enough yet.. Cold is not so much of an issue where compared to the incessant rain which can drown/rot anything you aren't paying attention to when you plant..'

Also, I broke down and bought a Hori Hori, it's cool/goony as gently caress and very very useful. Unless there was a small hoe-blode on the back end, I can't see it being a more versatile little tool (although with a hoe-blade on the back, it's be pretty much unusably unwieldly.) I'm gonna buy my dad one for next Father's Day, because he'll love this thing.. Mine's so sharp I cut myself almost immediately before realizing the respect I needed to give the edges. :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 11, 2009

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I was always under the impression that blueberries were a full sun plant, it could be something else that is affecting your blueberry. What's the soil like under the one that's struggling? Blueberries have fairly shallow root systems, so if they don't have a good heaping of mulch their roots can dry out. My advice would be to give it a nice, heaping helping of your compost, a little dose of fertilizer designed for high-acid plants, and make sure the soil under it stays slightly damp but doesn't get waterlogged. At this point in the year you shouldn't be seeing any new leaves, but if you can encourage root growth it will make the plant better able to survive the winter and recover next spring.

And I totally want a hori-hori, so jealous. I should tell my husband to get me one for my birthday next month.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Marchegiana posted:

I was always under the impression that blueberries were a full sun plant, it could be something else that is affecting your blueberry. What's the soil like under the one that's struggling? Blueberries have fairly shallow root systems, so if they don't have a good heaping of mulch their roots can dry out. My advice would be to give it a nice, heaping helping of your compost, a little dose of fertilizer designed for high-acid plants, and make sure the soil under it stays slightly damp but doesn't get waterlogged. At this point in the year you shouldn't be seeing any new leaves, but if you can encourage root growth it will make the plant better able to survive the winter and recover next spring.

And I totally want a hori-hori, so jealous. I should tell my husband to get me one for my birthday next month.

Seconding this, blueberries are indeed full sun plants. It also goes for most plants where if they don't get enough light, then they won't flower as much... For fruiting plants, this by extension means no fruit!

Have you checked the soil pH? Blueberries need a 4.0 to 6.0 pH to thrive, whereas most soil is around a 7.0.

I think I was the one the started the hori-hori love here... Oh no, what have I started? FYI, if your hubby can't find a proper one in stores, amazon.com has them. Make sure he gets a stainless steel one!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I don't understand why my tomatoes aren't ripening. It's been really sunny here for September, they've been fed, I'm pinching out tips so they don't put on any more flowers or foliage, and yet I'm still stuck with hoards of green tomatoes, some of which look a bit gross and sickly like they might be rotting on the plant. It's been this way for two weeks, since I got back from Hawaii. The variety of tomato is called Moneymaker and it's a really easy genus to grow.

-it's not blossom end rot because they've been getting a good balanced amount of water
-it's not a nutrient deficiency, because I've fed them the recommended amount, and put a fresh compost mulch layer down

It might be blight :ohdear: There's definitely a chance because we had potatoes growing in the compost heap and they're the same family as the tommies.

I'd also like to know why my pumpkin plant is so huge and yet has only one pumpkin on it! I want more pumpkins, dammit, but I don't see any more flowers. This too has been fed and watered properly. I'm peeved because I chose a pumpkin that was supposed to be dark blue and it's about the size of a basketball and still only a pale silvery grey.

TLDR; girl mad at plants. Going to live off nothing but leeks.

Edit; and now I'm really pissed off. The tomatoes I've babied and loved on the veg plot are loving up, but those by the front of the house which don't get fed or watered gave me 10 beautiful cherry tomatoes today. gently caress this, I should just go on neglectful holiday again and come back to a bountiful harvest.

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 11, 2009

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

I don't understand why my tomatoes aren't ripening. It's been really sunny here for September, they've been fed, I'm pinching out tips so they don't put on any more flowers or foliage, and yet I'm still stuck with hoards of green tomatoes, some of which look a bit gross and sickly like they might be rotting on the plant. It's been this way for two weeks, since I got back from Hawaii. The variety of tomato is called Moneymaker and it's a really easy genus to grow.

-it's not blossom end rot because they've been getting a good balanced amount of water
-it's not a nutrient deficiency, because I've fed them the recommended amount, and put a fresh compost mulch layer down

It might be blight :ohdear: There's definitely a chance because we had potatoes growing in the compost heap and they're the same family as the tommies.

I'd also like to know why my pumpkin plant is so huge and yet has only one pumpkin on it! I want more pumpkins, dammit, but I don't see any more flowers. This too has been fed and watered properly. I'm peeved because I chose a pumpkin that was supposed to be dark blue and it's about the size of a basketball and still only a pale silvery grey.

TLDR; girl mad at plants. Going to live off nothing but leeks.

Edit; and now I'm really pissed off. The tomatoes I've babied and loved on the veg plot are loving up, but those by the front of the house which don't get fed or watered gave me 10 beautiful cherry tomatoes today. gently caress this, I should just go on neglectful holiday again and come back to a bountiful harvest.

My tomatoes are mostly still green too, and they've been that way for weeks. They're slowly ripening one by one now, but the majority of them are still completely green. I'm just chalking it up to a cool summer and a good week where it was downright chilly and rainy. What sucks is that back when it was good and warm I had several tomatoes ripen, but they had blossom-end rot and I had to supplement the plant with milk and toss all the rotten tomatoes. I guess that's a lesson learned for next year.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Marchegiana posted:

We had record-breaking high temperatures for a month or two this summer, it got over 105 multiple days in succession and nobody had been living in the house or tending to the yard for months. The owner mowed the lawn and did a bit of weeding, however he didn't bother to water anything so the one in the middle got the full force of 105+ sunshine every day, I suspect while the one next to it got just enough shade to keep the leaves from burning and soil from cracking and drying.. I kinda figured it would bounce back next year but I'll make sure to check its root cover.

Edit: drat i halved the size of those images and they still are gigantic.. Sorry. :(

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Chajara posted:

I'm just chalking it up to a cool summer and a good week where it was downright chilly and rainy.

This is the right answer. The summer this year was very cool, and tomatoes just love it when it's very wet and sunny. Remember, tomatoes are native to the northern part of South America right near the equator.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Chajara posted:

My tomatoes are mostly still green too, and they've been that way for weeks. They're slowly ripening one by one now, but the majority of them are still completely green. I'm just chalking it up to a cool summer and a good week where it was downright chilly and rainy. What sucks is that back when it was good and warm I had several tomatoes ripen, but they had blossom-end rot and I had to supplement the plant with milk and toss all the rotten tomatoes. I guess that's a lesson learned for next year.

I guess my sense of time has just been thrown off from gardening in the tropics. In Hawaii, seeds germinated in 3 days and a flower on Monday would be a good sized bean on Friday. It feels like I'm running out of time now I'm back in the UK and summer is disappearing. All this waiting...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Split a bunch of starts for winter greens with my family yesterday, then I had to race against the clouds for a sudden thunderstorm that started looming while I was putting everything in the ground late in the afternoon. The last couple pictures are dark because of the cloud cover.

Then of course it didn't really give any rain. Some good thunder and lightning, though. The dirt in my raised beds is awesome now, I ended up taking off my shoes because I got tired of knocking stuff out of them and then jumped around in a sprinkler the clean off. :3:

Edit: and of course the wind knocked over the trellis I'd lazily leaned against the fence since I wasn't ready to stick it into the ground yet. Almost nothing was damaged though.

Double-Edit: Picture of the long bed in brighter light:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 14, 2009

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Chajara posted:

I suffered through a discouraging bout of blossom end rot with my roma tomatoes. A month worth of careful fertilizing and watering and the remaining tomatoes are coming in with no rot.

They are staying on the plant WAY too long without ripening. I harvested enough tomatoes to make 3 pounds of tomatoes after peeling and seeding. Those turned into tomato basil soup. I like tomato basil soup.

I will share my tomato basil soup with you people because I like you so very much.
You need a pressure cooker, or you need to increase the times by about 4x.

1 small (supermarket mesh bag) onion, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, diced. Looking for a tablespoon or so of goo.
1/2 stalk celery, diced
2 TBSP olive oil

1 carrot, shredded
1 pound roma tomatoes, peeled and seeded (weight after peeling and seeding)
3 cups veg or chicken stock (or broth)
10 full sized basil leaves
TBSP diced fresh basil ( I use one entire stem, strip leaves and dice)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Heat olive oil in cooker over medium low heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Saute until it just starts to take a bit of color. Add stock, tomatoes, and basil and oregano. I like to add a nice covering of cracked black pepper and about 1 TBSP of salt at this point. Bring to simmer and seal cooker lid. Cook 6-7 minutes, then release pressure. Blend soup to uniform goo. If you don't like larger hunks of stuff, strain prior to serving, but there is no good reason to do this other than you are a giant fussy pussy.

Serve warm or cold. Freezes great. This soup is a much better use of your tomatoes than is the ever so boring method of making pasta sauce.

Add 5 or 6 fire roasted red peppers to this soup prior to cooking and it's a wonderful roasted red pepper soup. You may want to fire-peel your tomatoes as well, but the benefits of that are dubious at best.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NosmoKing posted:

I suffered through a discouraging bout of blossom end rot with my roma tomatoes. A month worth of careful fertilizing and watering and the remaining tomatoes are coming in with no rot.
http://www.popsci.com/environment/article/2009-09/fertilizer-future-might-be-closer-we-think/

Tell ya what, I'm going to have two essentially identical tomatoes next year, and I'm gonna piss all over one of them. :D

actually only on the dirt and base of the plant, but drat is it fun to say "piss all over"

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've actually heard of people pissing in their compost heaps, and would probably do it myself if I had the equipment to do so. I think if you were going to put it directly on your plants you might have to either dilute it or do it sparingly, otherwise you could fertilizer-burn the roots.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Marchegiana posted:

I've actually heard of people pissing in their compost heaps, and would probably do it myself if I had the equipment to do so. I think if you were going to put it directly on your plants you might have to either dilute it or do it sparingly, otherwise you could fertilizer-burn the roots.

You can always do it on the ground around the garden. Urine breaks down into lots of lovely nitrogen!

On the other hand, my brother refuses to eat home grown vegetables because he pees on the compost heap.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

madlilnerd posted:

On the other hand, my brother refuses to eat home grown vegetables because he pees on the compost heap.
This seems pretty counterintuitive, but some people are just stupid.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You guys all busy harvesting or something?

Let's see some more gardening pictures god dammit :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

You guys all busy harvesting or something?

Let's see some more gardening pictures god dammit :colbert:

Full writeup:

http://www.newprotest.org/details.pl?1429

Relevant photos:

Wheat harvest (for amusement only. i don't grow enough to do anything relevant)

Potato harvest

Ginger

Soy

Rhubarb (getting cold... better make pie)

Grapes - YUM

Salvia (yes. that salvia)