Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Buy it.
Step 1: buy too fast bike
Step 2: increase life insurance
Step 3: internet staaaardom!
Step 4: firey death
Step 5: internet staaaardom v2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Fantastipotamus posted:

Step 1: buy too fast bike
Step 2: increase life insurance
Step 3: internet staaaardom!
Step 4: firey death
Step 5: internet staaaardom v2.0

Don't buy the Agusta. Just don't. European bikes are way too delicate for your taste. Just hang on while I research every opportunity to reimport and save that bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Arg, I can't get them to send me an activation email. :argh:

Maybe it'll show up later.

Blaster: :wotwot:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Blaster of Justice posted:

Don't buy the Agusta. Just don't. European bikes are way too delicate for your taste. Just hang on while I research every opportunity to reimport and save that bike.
I'm not buying the Agusta, retard. Thanks for the insult though. How have you not been banned yet for all your horrible advice?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

Hmm.. this is odd. My local used bike distributor has this bike just received. It's a 2008 MV Agusta F4-R 312 with 3800 miles, and it's... $13,995? KBB says the retail on this bike should be in excess of $19,000. Oh, and just for kicks I ran my insurance on it.. if I bought this 180hp, 195mph bike, my insurance is actually still $100 cheaper than a 2008 Ducati 848. Oh well, maybe I'll go sit on it (on the more realistic side, they do have a GSX-R 750 that I'm considering, which I could sit on as well).

Have you kids ever heard an Augusta at full redline wail? It's the sound an orgasming valkyrie would make right as you tore her in half right at that moment. It's the sound of Vulcan's fingernails across an iron chalkboard. OTOH, the speeding tickets the guy collected over those 3800 miles likely kept at least 1 or 2 Kali state employees on the payroll. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Christoff posted:

What's the most ridiculous thing you guys have transported/done on your bike?

not really that weird but it looks kinda weird.

bmw /2 (1955-69) transmission on a 1984 moto-guzzi.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who has 12K they can lend me? http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1350445556.html

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phat_Albert posted:

Who has 12K they can lend me? http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1350445556.html

Dibs on the back seat.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

Nate Falls posted:

I carried my mountain bike strapped to my rack once. Hell of a thing.

Is there any mounting system (or could one be fabricated on the cheap) to allow this in some sane way? I want to go car free but I'd need to be able to huff my bicycles around.

Also, that moped adv rider is a loving looney. God bless though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

RichBomb posted:

Is there any mounting system (or could one be fabricated on the cheap) to allow this in some sane way? I want to go car free but I'd need to be able to huff my bicycles around.

Also, that moped adv rider is a loving looney. God bless though.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215797

I met him up at Alice's once, really nice guy with a pretty cool solution for mounting a bike on a motorcycle.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Arg, I can't get them to send me an activation email. :argh:

Maybe it'll show up later.

Blaster: :wotwot:

It'll show, the server's been a bit flaky of late.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Finally decided to list my ZX for sale. Was a decent starter bike, put about 2500 miles on it and now my SV is just a hell of a less hassle. So far first and only response in the past day since listing it is a scammer. whoop

Thinking that now since I have another spot in my garage that will soon be open to make that step up to a liter bike. My commute to work seems overly boring and I just need something to get me there quicker (kidding). Another bike would be nice though.

The supermoto bikes look great and ever since my MSF course I have wanted to get back on a bike that is super nimble. Wheelies and other crazy shenanigans are also required to tame the inner beast, and I figure one of these might be able to help.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's impossible to have fun on a supermoto. SMs are for pussies who can't handle one hunnert horse power.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

It's impossible to have fun on a supermoto. SMs are for pussies who can't handle one hunnert horse power.

I regularly fell asleep on my DRZ

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

not really that weird but it looks kinda weird.

bmw /2 (1955-69) transmission on a 1984 moto-guzzi.

It looks like a sphincter stimulator for those long highway rides.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Spiffness posted:

Awww :cry: say it aint so

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Awww :cry: say it aint so

S'alright, you've already got an SV so you're pretty deep in the girl bike/pussy camp anyways.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So if you're at a stop light at a big intersection and it's the middle of the night or there's just no one around can you, uh, legally run it or anything? I got stuck for a while last night because knowing my luck there was a cop at one of the gas stations.

God forbid you have to get out of a gated community

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Christoff posted:

So if you're at a stop light at a big intersection and it's the middle of the night or there's just no one around can you, uh, legally run it or anything? I got stuck for a while last night because knowing my luck there was a cop at one of the gas stations.

Were you waiting to turn left or go straight? If straight, push the crosswalk button. If you have to go left, what I've done is turn right and then flip a bitch. Beats sitting at the red light.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Also virtually no cop will pull you over for safely making a left on a red arrow on a bike.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Z3n posted:

S'alright, you've already got an SV so you're pretty deep in the girl bike/pussy camp anyways.

Only two cylinders? :smug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

Only two cylinders? :smug:

2 big jugs are better than 4 small ones :smugbert:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

redscare posted:

Were you waiting to turn left or go straight? If straight, push the crosswalk button. If you have to go left, what I've done is turn right and then flip a bitch. Beats sitting at the red light.

Yeah, it was a left at a big intersection with an individual light for left. It's happened many times, though. Sometimes I roll back and forth and that seems to work.

I could have turned right but I would have been crossing about 4 lanes anyways. Then I could have gotten stuck at the light where I had to make a u-turn. I ended up just making a u-turn right there and coming back around. Going into the left lane to turn left triggered it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

Yeah, it was a left at a big intersection with an individual light for left. It's happened many times, though. Sometimes I roll back and forth and that seems to work.

I could have turned right but I would have been crossing about 4 lanes anyways. Then I could have gotten stuck at the light where I had to make a u-turn. I ended up just making a u-turn right there and coming back around. Going into the left lane to turn left triggered it.

If you put it in neutral, kickstand down, and lean the bike on it, sometimes that'll get enough interference for the induction loop to trigger.

Or you could be like me and go buy a 600 pound tourer to set them off. :xd:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

If you put it in neutral, kickstand down, and lean the bike on it, sometimes that'll get enough interference for the induction loop to trigger.

Your bike is so fat it has cellulite :haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

I've been told, and haven't confirmed since I don't often run into those things, that if you shut the bike off and start it back up, the started puts out a big enough field to trip the loop.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Your bike is so fat it has cellulite :haw:

Gotta love them curvy :pervert:

Endless Mike posted:

I've been told, and haven't confirmed since I don't often run into those things, that if you shut the bike off and start it back up, the started puts out a big enough field to trip the loop.

Some people claim that hitting the starter (with the bike running) will do the same. I just do my best to stop the bike directly over the sensor and haven't had a problem.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
I used to do this with my scooter. Made it go POP

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Didn't some company sell some magnets or something you attached to the bottom of your bike? Or was that just a scheme? Not that I'll go that far.

Also, from another forum.

quote:

California Motorcycle Smog Test Proposal Modified By State Senate

Senator Fran Pavley backs off idea to require bi-annual testing for motorcycles

Thanks to the efforts of thousands of AMA members and other concerned motorcyclists, the sponsor of a proposed California law to require motorcycles to undergo periodic exhaust emissions testing has backed away from the idea, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 1, 2009

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Christoff posted:

Depends on where you live.

In Wisconsin, if you wait 45 seconds, there are no other vehicles that will trip the light, and it is safe to do so, you can run the red light going straight or turning left. Almost no one seems to know this however.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I think folks on the road think I'm a cop when riding the TransAlp. I had easily half a dozen people pull over and let me by when riding though traffic today. White bike + White Helmet maybe? or is it my awesome $12 aviator sunglasses?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

I think folks on the road think I'm a cop when riding the TransAlp. I had easily half a dozen people pull over and let me by when riding though traffic today. White bike + White Helmet maybe? or is it my awesome $12 aviator sunglasses?

The TransAlp is just that awesome!

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

`Nemesis posted:

Depends on where you live.

In Wisconsin, if you wait 45 seconds, there are no other vehicles that will trip the light, and it is safe to do so, you can run the red light going straight or turning left. Almost no one seems to know this however.

My dad used to be a traffic cop in DC and he says that it is legal to go through a red light if it appears that the light is broken/malfunctioning. This includes your motorcycle not tripping the sensor. I usually wait two cycles if it is on a timer and then go for it if no one is around.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just run all red lights all the time.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

redscare posted:

i fit those loops a lot in work, try stopping over one of the side cuts, the loops seem more sensitive along the sides than across.

code:
  ---------------
  |             |
  |             | < stop over these bits
  ---------------  

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I put my kickstand on the sensors and that usually works. The one coming out my neighborhood NEVER changed for my bike and I've had to lots of times press the crosswalk button or just run it.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
My MSF instructors mentioned that you could call the city planners office and ask them to re-calibrate the sensors. It may take a while, but if it's a light that you regularly go to for work, or around your house, it's probably worth a shot. That being said, I haven't had any problems at lights. I never even noticed the lines for the sensors in the road until I was on my bike. Then again, we have a lot of riders in my town, and they've all probably spoken up about the major intersections by now. Except 18th st apparently, but I never go that way so...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
All that business they drill into your head about not riding when you're distracted, or not focused, or what have you is pretty important. I rode about 7 miles to talk to my old boss about some possible new work today, and on the way back home my brain was churning about work ideas. I locked up the rear tire when I caught a bicyclist out of the corner of my eye and panicked a little, I zoned out at a really long light and almost wasn't ready for the arrow (I shut the bike off once a few cars had stopped behind me, it was hot as hell out again today), and I almost rolled through a right turn on red without even stopping or glancing to check for cars. :doh:

I parked the bike for the rest of the day, of course.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

RichBomb posted:

Sure, you just need one of these and an old Velosolex...

http://www.surlybikes.com/bd_comp.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

ATGATT thread link, guy and rider got rashed pretty bad.

>>Don't click if you're squeamish.<<
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,19460.0.html