Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I love Goodwill

Welp, off to Guitar Center to pick up a power supply for it.

If I find a cabinet at a Goodwill I can have a entirely thrift store rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Thumposaurus posted:

I love Goodwill

God drat, man. I have pod farm and everything but I'm still super jealous.

It kind of looks like a toy so I guess I can see what they were thinking.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

I love Goodwill

I need to start shopping at Goodwill.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Thumposaurus posted:

I love Goodwill

You have to be making GBS threads me, do they not do anything to check on the worth of stuff?

Hopefully it's in perfect working condition, I can't think of many reasons that someone would choose to Goodwill their PodXT instead of ebay it...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Agreed posted:

You have to be making GBS threads me, do they not do anything to check on the worth of stuff?

Hopefully it's in perfect working condition, I can't think of many reasons that someone would choose to Goodwill their PodXT instead of ebay it...

Jimmy went off to college. What the hell is this thing? Some sort of toy? He doesn't need this, I'll just take this off to good will with all his childhood memories.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What's with the grandpas guitars.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Agreed posted:

Just got back with the power supply and put it through the paces, works perfect :smug:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

Just got back with the power supply and put it through the paces, works perfect :smug:

Nice score, man. But you know Jimmy is going to be pissed when he comes home and wants to jam :cry:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Agreed posted:

Nice score, man. But you know Jimmy is going to be pissed when he comes home and wants to jam :cry:
Screw that, he should have taken it with him. Aren't those things like the size of CD players? Would it really have been that much of a burden?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Jimmy is probably dead.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

the wizards beard posted:

Jimmy is probably dead.

:rock:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

oooooo haunted POD:ghost:

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

pennywisdom posted:

You are a tall motherfucker with a beautiful instrument. Treat that thing well or else the lords of classical music will give you your own circle in hell.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

oooooo haunted POD:ghost:

you know how much better this makes the tone?

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Thumposaurus posted:

I love Goodwill

A Goodwill just opened here. I had no idea they had poo poo like that in there! I'm going to check that place out tomorrow.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The stuff is there sometimes, you just have to stop in like once a week and check things out.
There are 4 Goodwills, a Salvation Army, and another independent thrift store around here. I'll usually hit them all up on a day off just to see what they have sometimes you get lucky.
If the Goodwill near you has silent auctions that is where they usually put the instruments, then you have to write a bid in a book and wait for it to end.
I picked up an aluminum necked Kramer bass from one of the auctions for right around $100.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

I love Goodwill

The power supply is going to cost more than what you paid for that.

Lucky loving Bastard.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

pennywisdom posted:

What kind of pickups you got in that?

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

EMG 60 obviously.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Got a new pedalboard/case for my chain

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You gonna get an expression pedal for that power strip?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

STACK OVERFLOW posted:

Good luck getting the rosewood body if you plan on making this.

The wood for the body is pretty easy to find, it's actually finding a pre-built rosewood neck that isn't way too expensive that is hard to find.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Warmoth has them but they can be kinda pricey
Took a quick look the cheapest one is $352

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Finally... found a good deal on an RG550 - black w/maple neck.

One day, I'll actually post up pictures of my latest finds, maybe even some reviews. For now, just text. I'm still waiting on three pedals to come in.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Thumposaurus posted:

Warmoth has them but they can be kinda pricey
Took a quick look the cheapest one is $352

Yeah I've heard they pop up occasionally on other custom guitar parts stores for under $200 but assuming I can't find one / wait that long I'll just have to resign to buying a similar type of wood

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Not a new guitar, but I just put a Bigsby on it and I'm stoked.

Dog X likes it, too.

Actuary X fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 1, 2009

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

RiggenBlaque posted:

Yeah I've heard they pop up occasionally on other custom guitar parts stores for under $200 but assuming I can't find one / wait that long I'll just have to resign to buying a similar type of wood

Keep an eye on this guys eBay store, something similar might pop up for cheap.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Jamerson-Guitars__W0QQ_armrsZ1

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

pennywisdom posted:

is there some angle trick going on here or are you like 8 feet tall?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

Looks fine to me... Don't you lean a cello back against you at like a 45* angle while you sit?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Probably worth it for the Kontakt upgrades alone. Around 20GB more samples for £123.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Run Dodo Run posted:

Probably worth it for the Kontakt upgrades alone. Around 20GB more samples for £123.

Guitar Rig 4 Pro?

What now?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah, here's NI's changelog:

quote:

* All new Control Room Cabinet Module
* 2 new amps (Hotplex and Jump) Modeled after legendary Marshall
* 4 new effect modules (Graindelay. Octaverb. Iceverb. Twindelay
* 200 brand new. high-quality presets for all genres
* New and improved GUI

You can't get it separately out of Komplete without buying the Kontrol package at first though, which seems a little stupid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For 200 dollars, they could at least learn how to spell.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Any idea when it's actually going to be available? And why haven't they been crowing about it, this should be big news and this is the first place I heard about it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I imagine a whole bunch of electronic musicians :f5:ing furiously right now because their webserver is still down :(.

The Scarbee partnership sounds good though, if it's going to be as cheap as that electric bass I'm going to be all over it. Elektrik piano's kind of meh compared to that.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Agreed posted:

Any idea when it's actually going to be available? And why haven't they been crowing about it, this should be big news and this is the first place I heard about it.

They haven't announced it yet. Digital Village stuck it up on their website to pre-order early (http://www.dv247.com/computer-music-software/native-instruments-komplete-6--67107). I assume NI will give a release date when it's announced.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

PenguinBob posted:

I had the end pin all the way out because I had a tripod that didn't want to get bigger, so it was the only way I could fit it all in the shot.

fake edit : 6'2"

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-4-pro/?page=945

Try that. Says October 1st on the banner. Looks like a new "above all... revolutionary" cabinet sim module, three new amps (Marshall, Marshall, Marshall! They already have pretty good Marshalls, I'm surprised it's not something more esoteric this time), four new effects... Well, I honestly expected more NEW, but hopefully they've upped their game all around with this release, I'm hoping for improvements to the existing amplifiers. They mostly all can sound really good with some tweaking to the + options, but given the state of the industry they could use an update I think.

Truthfully the new cabinet sim, if it is really good, was the most needed thing. Their cabinet emulation has been behind their peers, excepting the cabinets available with GR3. I hope that it brings the cabinets up to the level of quality of their effects and amps.

Oh, and it's true stereo now, too, that's cool.

I'll contact them to see about getting it in for review... I've been a Guitar Rig 3 customer for more than a year, before I even started my blog and writing for Frugal, and I've heard Native is quite easy to work with in the press. Hopefully I can get it in and see what's cooking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

So Line6 is giving away Pod Farm to anyone that has an iLok, all through the month of September.

Check out my blog post on the topic for details, features, and links to the free offer page and model list page

Edit: this has been a busy news day.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 1, 2009