Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
That's great, if only I didn't own like 90% of the Interplay games on there already :(

EDIT: /\/\ yeah it seems to be down or something at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

ymgve posted:

This reminds me - apparently the best way to play the Freespace games is with a stick, but as I don't have one of those, how does it play with mouse+KB, or alternatively, a 360 gamepad?

I used Mouse and Keyboard in FS2 and it was definitely playable. I used a mix of mouse controls (inverted works better for these types of games) and the default with a and z as acceleration deceleration.

I just got FO1 and 2 despite already owning the CD versions as well as sacrifice (I remember it being good from reviews but my computer couldn't run the demo) and Hostile Waters (same as sacrifice). I was thinking of getting something else but I don't feel like it at the moment.

And yes the site is slow for me at the moment but I'm downloading sacrifice at 144kb/sec

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
FS2 with a 360 pad is fine.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of getting Descent and Lionheart. Is this a good idea?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
GOG is working properly again now.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Fallout and Sacrifice for me.

I figure they chose Interplay because every Interplay game is 5.99. That makes it simple, no rules about how the free game must cost less than one you buy, and so on. They just have to subtract 5.99x, x being how many free games you get.

I like it anyways.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009
It's likely also because Interplay was the first company to sign on with them in the beginning, and it mirrors the promotion they had at the start of the beta.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Psychorider posted:

It's likely also because Interplay was the first company to sign on with them in the beginning, and it mirrors the promotion they had at the start of the beta.

With the exception that it can be used more than once.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
OP updated with this awesome promotion and birthday wishes at the top, as well as a link to the store page. It's Interplay time, peoples! This only makes each game $3!

I think it's time to finally rebuy the Freespace games, and maybe the Descent games too.

Oh, and don't buy Kingpin. Not even for free. Pick something else.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I have no idea what I should get. Out of all that Fallout 1+2, Decent 1-3, and Earthworm Jim 1+2 are the ones I already have.

I'm thinking Citizen Kabuto and whatever else I don't know.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Sacrifice is meant to be good. I'm getting that and Giants: Citizen Kabuto tomorrow.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I want an odd number of Interplay games! Oh no!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Darknight630 posted:

I'm thinking Citizen Kabuto and whatever else I don't know.

Redneck Rampage Collection. For serious.

What's the general opinion on Messiah and Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising? I keep hearing Messiah is fun, yet a little buggy, and Hostile Waters is fun if you're into RTS games. Is this accurate?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Redneck Rampage Collection. For serious.

What's the general opinion on Messiah and Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising? I keep hearing Messiah is fun, yet a little buggy, and Hostile Waters is fun if you're into RTS games. Is this accurate?

I actually ended up getting Citizen Kabuto and Sacrifice. Maybe I'll get two more games some time later.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I'm getting Brotherhood of Steel because it's the only Fallout I don't have, but I'm not sure about a second game because I already have most of the interesting ones. So far I'm thinking it's going to be either Giants: Citizen Kabuto or Sacrifice. Any opinions, comments, recommendations etc. for those two?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

This reminds me - apparently the best way to play the Freespace games is with a stick, but as I don't have one of those, how does it play with mouse+KB, or alternatively, a 360 gamepad?
Brilliantly. It's easily the best mouse control I've used in a game.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Veib posted:

I'm getting Brotherhood of Steel because it's the only Fallout I don't have, but I'm not sure about a second game because I already have most of the interesting ones. So far I'm thinking it's going to be either Giants: Citizen Kabuto or Sacrifice. Any opinions, comments, recommendations etc. for those two?

Sacrifice and Giants are both kind of similar in that they are goofy games that make a serious effort to bend their respective genres. Sacrifice is an RTS game that controls like an action RPG (You are a mage! who summons dudes and fights with them), while Giants is more of a classic story-based action game. Sorry, I remember enjoying Giants when I was young but I don't remember anything about it.

Question - has anyone gotten Sacrifice multiplayer to work? My friends and I are considering buying it but if we can't play Sacrifice together we'd rather get a different game.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 2, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Sacrifice and Giants are both kind of similar in that they are goofy games that make a serious effort to bend their respective genres. Sacrifice is an RTS game that controls like an action RPG (You are a mage! who summons dudes and fights with them), while Giants is more of a classic story-based action game. Sorry, I remember enjoying Giants when I was young but I don't remember anything about it.

Giants also has RTS elements: certain missions have you collecting the native creatures to build structures and produce equipment.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jinnigan posted:

Question - has anyone gotten Sacrifice multiplayer to work? My friends and I are considering buying it but if we can't play Sacrifice together we'd rather get a different game.

From the look of the GOG forums, people have been able to play it online. You will need to request a key for it, though. http://www.gog.com/en/support/sacrifice/Multiplayer_key_request

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

Oh, and don't buy Kingpin. Not even for free. Pick something else.

Bah don't listen to this, Kingpin is a great underrated shooter. The first few hours are a little slow because the developers made the risky move of making the main character incredibly weak. You'll be doing a lot of sneaking and back stabbing until you make enough money to buy a gun that doesn't suck; after that you're running around torching people with flame throwers and poo poo.

Sacrifice is Shiny's greatest game IMO and I'm surprised the formula hasn't been copied in other titles (closest game I've played is the awesome Spellforce series but those are more RTS games than action games). Instead of micromanaging resources you summon monsters and toss spells around. The spell effects are really impressive and range from simple fireballs to summoning demons and raising volcanos out of the ground. The story is also pretty good with excellent writing (its hilarious listening to the gods bickering) and mother loving Tim Curry voicing Stratos.

From what I remember Messiah is a fun little platformer with good innovations (possessing people to get around) but unlike MDK series the level design is pretty lacking for a game that encourages using different people to get around.

I have most of Interplay's games but I'll probably end up getting Earthworm Jim and Redneck Rampage. The PC version of EWJ is supposedly the best version and I lost my cd of RR a long time ago ("My head hurts, my feet stink, and I don't love Jesus").

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

royallthefourth posted:

I'm thinking of getting Descent and Lionheart. Is this a good idea?

Descent is good, and still pretty playable. Lionheart starts off pretty good but quickly turns into a really boring hack and slash game.

Charles Martel posted:

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising?

It's pretty cool, I'd say it's more of a tactical shooterish game than a RTS though; each of your twelve soldiers has different personalities and vehicle skills and you can jump into and directly control any of your units. Later missions get more puzzley than I would really have liked though, in terms of knocking something out with X so you can take something else out and so on.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Ahh, hell yes. I love MDK and haven't played it in forever and I never actually got a chance to play the second one. Sooooooooooooold.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
This is a fantastic deal and one I'm going to take advantage of.

GODDAMMIT GoG is caressing us again!!! :bahgawd:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
How are F/A-18E Super hornet and Shattered Steel?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Charles Martel posted:

I think it's time to finally rebuy the Freespace games, and maybe the Descent games too.
I just did this. Freespace 1 & 2, Descent 1-3 + expansion. Hell yeah. :rock:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I just did this. Freespace 1 & 2, Descent 1-3 + expansion. Hell yeah. :rock:
Just don't play Freespace 1 on its own, play the Freespace 2 mod of the first game instead.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Plavski posted:

Just don't play Freespace 1 on its own, play the Freespace 2 mod of the first game instead.
So what you're saying is that I shouldn't have wasted a free game on Freespace, I should have gotten something else instead? :saddowns:

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
I just got Descent 1-2 and Freespace 2. Downloading now. I've been waiting over a decade to play these games.

So can somebody fill me in on why the Mechwarrior games aren't available anymore?

e: \/ \/ \/ I don't mean on GOG, I mean anywhere.

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 3, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lamacq posted:

I just got Descent 1-2 and Freespace 2. Downloading now. I've been waiting over a decade to play these games.

So can somebody fill me in on why the Mechwarrior games aren't available anymore?

They never were.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't have wasted a free game on Freespace, I should have gotten something else instead? :saddowns:

I think you need the assets from FS1 to play in FSopen. If not, then I also just wasted a free game.

But before GOG, FS2 was legally "free" to distribute to friends due to something in the EULA. so....

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

I think you need the assets from FS1 to play in FSopen. If not, then I also just wasted a free game.
You don't need the original assets to play the port. Everything was remade and re-scripted in the Freespace 2 engine so the original stuff wasn't needed.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Hostile Waters is a lot of fun, sort of a hybrid flight-sim and tactical game. Plus, the dialogue, "Ransom, Bay 2," will be drilled into your head. Not that that's a bad thing, Ransom is way better at helicopters than any other character. Plus, the script by Warren Ellis is interesting.

I am enjoying MDK though the controls make my brain hurt and the game loathes my video card. I've had to play it in software rendering just to get a decent framerate.

Ajax 99
Jul 14, 2006
Kibbles 'n bits? I think not!
Buglord

Jet Jaguar posted:

Hostile Waters...
Just wanted to add that it's also got the voices of Tom Baker (Doctor #4) and Paul Darrow (Avon from Blake's 7). This alone makes it worth the three dollars.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Plavski posted:

You don't need the original assets to play the port. Everything was remade and re-scripted in the Freespace 2 engine so the original stuff wasn't needed.

Elaborate. So you can play Freespace and Silent Threat in Freespace 2 without owning either of them at all? If so, where are these files at?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

Elaborate. So you can play Freespace and Silent Threat in Freespace 2 without owning either of them at all? If so, where are these files at?

Search for Freespace Open (FSO) Installer. That program should download everything you need to play. The enhanced graphical content is called "MediaVP" for some reason.

That's pretty much the only way to get it, but the installer works on Linux, Windows, and Apple.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

royallthefourth posted:

Search for Freespace Open (FSO) Installer. That program should download everything you need to play. The enhanced graphical content is called "MediaVP" for some reason.

Gotcha. I'm assuming this site is it, but is it legal to play Freespace and Silent Threat like that?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

Gotcha. I'm assuming this site is it, but is it legal to play Freespace and Silent Threat like that?

I don't know about Freespace, but Freespace 2 and its game assets were copyleft a few years back by Volition and I imagine Freespace is in the same boat. Since this is the main distributor of Freespace 2 nowadays, it seems Volition would've shut it down a long time ago if they didn't think it was legit.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

royallthefourth posted:

I don't know about Freespace, but Freespace 2 and its game assets were copyleft a few years back by Volition and I imagine Freespace is in the same boat. Since this is the main distributor of Freespace 2 nowadays, it seems Volition would've shut it down a long time ago if they didn't think it was legit.

Well in that case, I just snagged all of these for $23.96:

Descent 1 + Descent 2
Descent 3 + Mercenary
Freespace 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
MDK
MDK2
Messiah
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising

Not too shabby!

EDIT: Out of the rest of the Interplay games, I still want Stonekeep, Shogo, and maybe Shattered Steel, Lionheart, and the Earthworm Jim games.

vvvvvvv The very first thing that website states is to buy FreeSpace 2 from GoG. I was just asking the Freespace + Silent Threat missions, and if it's really legal to play them in FreeSpace 2 like that.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 3, 2009

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's not true and has been discredited several times in this very thread.

The FSO Installer WILL NOT give you the Freespace 1 & 2 data files, the best way to legally obtain them is from GOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Charles Martel posted:

vvvvvvv The very first thing that website states is to buy FreeSpace 2 from GoG. I was just asking the Freespace + Silent Threat missions, and if it's really legal to play them in FreeSpace 2 like that.

As far as I can tell, the Freespace 1 mod is a recreation of the Freespace 1 missions and content rather than a direct port. For this reason you don't need a copy of the Freespace 1 assets whether legally acquired or otherwise. No idea of the quality, esp. with voice acting but that should clear up the issue of legality.

Go here for more info.

As to the common misconception that either version of Freespace is free to download, I believe it arises from the source code [not the game assets] being released to the public some time ago. In addition to that there was apparently a clause in the original EULA which allowed owners to copy the game and distribute it to friends and acquaintances.
Disregarding the fact that downloading the game from a torrent site is hardly in keeping with the spirit of the clause, the clause has since been removed from the EULA anyway. As all rights granted by the original EULA were granted on a temporary basis this renders the right to distribute the game as void.

See here for more info and copies of both EULAs.

Sorry if I'm covering old ground but I thought it was worth going through again.