Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

grody but still def posted:

basically Cryme Tyme and Cade&Murdoch got into an argument backstage, and to rib them, Cade and Murdoch got Cryme Tyme counted out to mess with the finish. Cryme Tyme, for some retarded reason (I guess to send the crowd home happy or something), gave the referee their finisher (Which he was not trained to take) and threw the ref's belt into the crowd. They were on thin ice for their attitude backstage as it was, so they ended up getting released.

Other details I remember were that Cryme Tyme was owned in that argument, I think by Murdoch (not me being a mark), it was a legit hosed up finish and not Cade and Murdoch's fault, and the referee also did not expect to be hit with any move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

jeffersonlives posted:

And this is a bad thing how exactly? You should want the fans to have to buy the PPV to see the important stuff, if your primary goal is to sell PPVs. If you want to start giving important stuff away for free, you can't run monthly PPVs because there just isn't that much to go around.

Plus, the less you switch your titles in general, the more they mean.

Is there? The Luger change gave away the happy ending that should have been on Hog Wild or whatever the Sturgis PPV was in 1997, if you're going to switch the title to Luger briefly. Having Luger win the title at all made no sense within the Sting vs. nWo storyline either. It was a hotshot for the sake of popping a one-week rating and it didn't matter for business at all.

Putting the Goldberg title switch on Nitro was a complete disaster and I think everyone involved admits this at this point. They could've done an absolutely huge PPV number with that match.

At least the Luger win led to an awesome ending for Nitro in which the whole nWo was swarming around Hogan backstage, flipping out and trying to console him after the lost. The best was Savage, wandering around in the distance screaming "IT WAS A FLUKE! IT WAS A FLUKE!" over and over.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

jeffersonlives posted:

And this is a bad thing how exactly? You should want the fans to have to buy the PPV to see the important stuff, if your primary goal is to sell PPVs. If you want to start giving important stuff away for free, you can't run monthly PPVs because there just isn't that much to go around.

Plus, the less you switch your titles in general, the more they mean.

Because if the fans think nothing ever happens on TV, then they might stop watching TV. And if you're using TV to build up PPVs, and everyone stops watching the build, then who is going to buy the PPV?

You have to have important stuff happen for free now and again so that when it blows peoples' minds, they will think, "Wow, that (important thing) they showed on TV was great. I should start buying the PPVs so I can see more stuff like that."

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Repeatedly giving away PPV-caliber matches and title changes on free TV makes people not buy the B-show PPVs because the PPVs are just a three-hour RAW.

The titles don't draw on their own anymore because title matches and title changes aren't important or big occasions anymore. Changing them more isn't the answer to that. Good programming is what draws ratings and buys, and you can have that with or without changing titles.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Did Benoit and Batista ever have a match?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Atticus Finch posted:

Did Benoit and Batista ever have a match?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XrLVACi8sE

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This may be a really dumb question, I'm not sure, but here it goes.

Every time there is a really close two count, I find myself wondering what would happen if the ref accidentally, very noticeably, counted to three, or if a performer messed up and didn't kick up in time. Have there been any matches where something like that has happened? What was the crowd reaction like?

Edit: I'm sure this has happened, many times. I'm mainly curious what the crowd reaction is like, how they handle it, etc.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

Every time there is a really close two count, I find myself wondering what would happen if the ref accidentally, very noticeably, counted to three, or if a performer messed up and didn't kick up in time. Have there been any matches where something like that has happened? What was the crowd reaction like?

even if they accidentally hit 3, they can just say it was 2. It's very rare something like that happens, the only time I can remember it happening was the Hardy/Morrison fiasco last year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Professor Funk posted:

Edit: I'm sure this has happened, many times. I'm mainly curious what the crowd reaction is like, how they handle it, etc.

Generally the ref just doesn't count 3 unless the guy is completely out cold and there is a late kickout.

However, in ECW Heyman gave a mandate that after some non kickouts where the ref looked stupid that the refs should count pinfalls as a shoot, and a couple house show matches ended because of a late kickout.

When Vince gave the mandate that refs call matches as if they were a shoot, there were a couple of incidents on house shows where the pinfall was counted despite that not being the finish. Last year on ECW Morrison got a concussion and was pinned and the ref counted 3 despite it not being the finish, and of course despite being told to do that he was fired soon after.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I believe that also happened on an overseas house show, which caused the Womens' Title to switch hands twice in that tour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every so often you'll see the ref has hit the 3 at exactly the same time as a kick out, but the ref's word is final and if they twist around and throw up the 2 sign then it's a 2 count regardless of the number of times his hand hit the mat.

Nick Patrick was the best because when he was going for a 3 count on a heel he would suddenly grab his arm and fall to the side in agony because his arm had suddenly seized up :laugh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 3, 2009

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I believe that also happened on an overseas house show, which caused the Womens' Title to switch hands twice in that tour.

This is less a case of an accident and more doing it on purpose to make women's house shows seem special

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

May not be that wrestling related, but it is used here all the drat time and I'm oblivious to it.

Where did "the crowd went/is going banana (no s)" come from?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dissolusion posted:

May not be that wrestling related, but it is used here all the drat time and I'm oblivious to it.

Where did "the crowd went/is going banana (no s)" come from?

WCW Dusty-ism

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

WCW Dusty-ism

I think Gorilla Monsoon has something to say about that. And I'm fairly certain it's an old expression from outside of wrestling.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
It's neither of those, it comes from one of Foley's books. He's making fun of a wrestler (whose name I can't recall) who wasn't a native English speaker and had trouble with plurals. He pulled it out in a promo on TV despite the fact that at the time only 3 people would have gotten the joke.

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 3, 2009

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

TL posted:

I think Gorilla Monsoon has something to say about that. And I'm fairly certain it's an old expression from outside of wrestling.

The fans are literally hanging from the rafters!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

EvilMuppet posted:

It's neither of those, it comes from one of Foley's books. He's making fun of a wrestler (whose name I can't recall)

It was Pat Patterson.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

This is less a case of an accident and more doing it on purpose to make women's house shows seem special

No, victoria hosed up. It was a triple threat, and victoria didn't break up the pin. The most telling evidence? They had a rematch the same night, one on one, to give it back to melina, so it wasn't actually one of those "let's give france a title change" thing.

Hell, I saw nearly the same thing at a RAW show in brisbane, except with beth as champ, facing mickie and jillian. Mickie hit her finisher, but jillian stupidly didn't move to break it up, so beth had to kick out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CombineThresher posted:

It was Pat Patterson.

And the joke in the book was about how when Foley was desperately hoping for a call from WWF, his Dad told him that someone called Pat Patterson had rung about a job. Foley got all excited then figured it might be a prank, so asked if the man had trouble with pluralization, and his Dad said yes. So Foley got all excited and thought Patterson was going to give him a job (and I think even called Patterson!) until he found out it was Shane Douglas, who had left a message along the lines of,"Tells Micks Foleys thats thes WWFs woulds likes tos gives hims as jobses."

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Wazzu posted:

No, victoria hosed up. It was a triple threat, and victoria didn't break up the pin. The most telling evidence? They had a rematch the same night, one on one, to give it back to melina, so it wasn't actually one of those "let's give france a title change" thing.

Poor France, WWE won't even give them a women's title change :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

maniacripper posted:

Poor France, WWE won't even give them a women's title change :(

They did give them an entire gimmick... until they moved them to Quebec.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Did Lex Luger have metal elbows?

Over-Sold
May 22, 2007

Under-Brained

jeffersonlives posted:

Repeatedly giving away PPV-caliber matches and title changes on free TV makes people not buy the B-show PPVs because the PPVs are just a three-hour RAW.

The titles don't draw on their own anymore because title matches and title changes aren't important or big occasions anymore. Changing them more isn't the answer to that. Good programming is what draws ratings and buys, and you can have that with or without changing titles.

I don't think anyone is saying WWE should be "repeatedly giving away PPV-caliber matches and title changes on free TV", I think they're saying WWE should have some good matches here and there on TV and a title change (WWE/WHC I'm talking about here) once, maybe twice a year. Someone else said it best, but to reiterate, this gets people watching Raw/SD!/ECW, which in turn helps them plug their PPV. It's a small sacrifice for a great reward.

The entire Punk/Jeff feud started over the title. Yes, it later became personal, but Punk couldn't have made a slow burn heel turn if he hadn't first just gone for the gold. I think a lot of people actually do care who the champ is. I will give you that you do need programming to keep people entertained to some degree, but you can have good stories and booking written around the belt.

Title changes are important. WWE got one of their first victories in the Monday Night War due to a title change that put asses into seats. A title change, or at least the hope of one, gets and keeps people watching TV and keeps them interesting in the company. I'm certain Jeff winning the WHC drove up sales of his merchandise to some degree. Again, I'm not saying there should ever be 23 title changes in one year, but 2-5 is acceptable. Keeping the belt on someone is also a bad idea as it seems to always result in resentment towards a superstar, and no one, not even Cena or Shawn Michaels is immune to that backlash. So, unless WWE is pushing another Cabinet JBL or Evolution HHH, this is a mistake.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Veg posted:

No, that's Dusty Rhodes.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

^ Dusty's elbows are bionic, not metal :colbert:

Veg posted:

I do believe he actually does have a steel plate in one of his forearms from a motorcycle accident he was in.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Pretty sure I didn't watch WCW when Dusty was wrestling.. but the Bionic thing seems eerily familiar. Did they use the same term for Lugers elbows any time?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Veg posted:

Pretty sure I didn't watch WCW when Dusty was wrestling.. but the Bionic thing seems eerily familiar. Did they use the same term for Lugers elbows any time?

As said above you, Luger had a metal plate/bar/rod in his one forearm. I do believe that for awhile he had a Bionic Clothesline or something fancy like that.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Thank you both. :keke:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Veg posted:

I was just joking around, but I do remember the anouncers selling Luger having metal in his arms. I never thought there was any truth to it though.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Pneub posted:

I was just joking around, but I do remember the anouncers selling Luger having metal in his arms. I never thought there was any truth to it though.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luger

quote:

The WWF also incorporated his motorcycle accident into his gimmick, capitalizing on the fact that he had a "metal plate" inserted into his forearm which was said to cause more damage when it struck an opponent. This caused a number of his opponents to demand that he wear a cover over it during matches when he had a streak of knocking people out. This eventually led to WWF officials demanding that Luger wear an elbow pad, though he would often remove it.

However, the most :psyduck: part of the article is this (particularly if you're a UK goon who remembers Elton Welsby)

quote:

He is also an avid Manchester United English Football supporter, having been introduced to the game by British TV presenter Elton Welsby

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Specifically, the 1993 King of the Ring has a good example of the metal elbow gimmick.

One of his strong punches in WWF wrestlemania the arcade game actually consisted of his elbow turning into a steel beam.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 3, 2009

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I have a question - why does Shawn Michaels wear chaps? Is it a legacy of his original "sexy boy" gimmick? Is it his trademark?

It strikes me as strange that in an industry where tights are the norm and baggy pants are a rarity (I assume due to mobility, body parts not getting caught, etc) that Michaels would not only wear the pants, but essentially two pairs since the chaps are over another pair?

Notable exception: the Hardyz wear baggy pants, but they're hardly known for their mat-wrestling technique.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Semiru posted:

I have a question - why does Shawn Michaels wear chaps? Is it a legacy of his original "sexy boy" gimmick? Is it his trademark?

It strikes me as strange that in an industry where tights are the norm and baggy pants are a rarity (I assume due to mobility, body parts not getting caught, etc) that Michaels would not only wear the pants, but essentially two pairs since the chaps are over another pair?

Notable exception: the Hardyz wear baggy pants, but they're hardly known for their mat-wrestling technique.

mostly its probably to hide his skinny rear end legs.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Semiru posted:

Michaels has to wrestle with knee braces now. I think the chaps are there to hide them.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Umbra Dubium posted:

Michaels has to wrestle with knee braces now. I think the chaps are there to hide them.

This is also the reason Rey wears baggy pants now too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Justice Grieves posted:

Eh, Bret Hart's book says that Lex wasn't on steroids

When Luger's house was raided following Miss Elizabeth's death, cops found a pharmacy's worth full of steroids and painkillers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

When Luger's house was raided following Miss Elizabeth's death, cops found a pharmacy's worth full of steroids and painkillers.

Those were Elizabeth's.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What ever happened to Bam Neely after he got fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

And the joke in the book was about how when Foley was desperately hoping for a call from WWF, his Dad told him that someone called Pat Patterson had rung about a job. Foley got all excited then figured it might be a prank, so asked if the man had trouble with pluralization, and his Dad said yes. So Foley got all excited and thought Patterson was going to give him a job (and I think even called Patterson!) until he found out it was Shane Douglas, who had left a message along the lines of,"Tells Micks Foleys thats thes WWFs woulds likes tos gives hims as jobses."

Foley's telling of this story on one of the 24/7 Legends Roundtable things is really funny for two reasons; his terrible Pat Patterson impression, and Pat being right across the table from him, laughing sheepishly.