Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Retarded Pimp posted:

ATGATT thread link, guy and rider got rashed pretty bad.

>>Don't click if you're squeamish.<<
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,19460.0.html

Required reading for new riders. This is what happens when you try and show off, and when you and your passenger don't wear proper full safety gear. Don't be this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Definitely a great example of the fact that distance makes no difference. They were "just going around the corner for burritos."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like how he's going to take care of it himself. Maybe just maybe he can keep it uninfected but without assisting its growth he'll be having open wounds for months.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't know what system the use here in the UK (yeah yeah, roundabouts) but I've never been held up at a red light that didn't change. Even if I show up late to the light and am the only vehicle waiting for it and I'm on a side street, the light still registers that I'm there and changes for me.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Retarded Pimp posted:

No gear, no helmets.

Fuckers are lucky to be alive. How the gently caress can you get on a bike without a lid, nevermind letting someone else get on it with you. I won't ride two-up with anyone because I don't have gear for a passenger. Its one thing to be stupid with your life, its another to be stupid with someone else's.

redscare fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 2, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

Definitely a great example of the fact that distance makes no difference. They were "just going around the corner for burritos."

Like the old joke about finding out that most accidents happen within a mile of home so they moved?

It's going to be tough for that guy to recover without infections, the streets are filthy places. I've gone down geared up and the resulting raspberries were pretty miserable. That guy is going to be hurting for a long time.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Linedance posted:

I don't know what system the use here in the UK (yeah yeah, roundabouts) but I've never been held up at a red light that didn't change. Even if I show up late to the light and am the only vehicle waiting for it and I'm on a side street, the light still registers that I'm there and changes for me.

I was told that even lights in quiet areas that are pressure activated still change on a timer to make sure that no-one gets missed. Don't know if it's true but I've only had to run a red light once and that's because it was broken.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Gnomad posted:

It's going to be tough for that guy to recover without infections, the streets are filthy places. I've gone down geared up and the resulting raspberries were pretty miserable. That guy is going to be hurting for a long time.

Hydrogen peroxide is a great disinfectant that you can easily buy OTC but if he sat for eight hours before getting to it, something probably took root. Oh and I hope this dumbass didn't actually SCRUB himself so much as gently wipe the wounds down with disinfectant-soaked cotton balls. But I don't think he's all that smart.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'll admit, I giggled a little at his sig...

Dumbass posted:

2000 ex500...blue/black (in transition!)

- Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul -

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

redscare posted:

No gear, no helmets.

Fuckers are lucky to be alive. How the gently caress can you get on a bike without a lid, nevermind letting someone else get on it with you. I won't ride two-up with anyone because I don't have gear for a passenger. Its one thing to be stupid with your life, its another to be stupid with someone else's.

A month ago I saw the craziest poo poo. This dude was on a GSX600 with his girlfriend, no gear on either of them (including helmets). The guy driving didnt even have glasses on so what does he do? He has his girlfriend use her hand to kinda "shield" the air from his eyes going 80mph on the interstate. God help them both of a bug flys in his eye and he shits himself all over the road.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was in the woods just starting to take off one ride and had my visor up still. I wasn't even done pulling though 1st when a dragonfly hits me in the left eye. It stung and watered a little but was alright, and that was below 20 mph. That really sucked, I wouldn't want to ever catch a bug going faster than that.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I caught a bee fully loaded with pollen right in the chin vent. It kept the bee from hitting me in the face, but the cloying pollen smell from the bee pretty much rendered the helmet unusable. It was like letting a can of Glade loose in the helmet every time I'd put it on.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Crash Guy posted:

When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands.

That is the reason that I don't ride with passengers.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Bugs : http://twitpic.com/g9h3x

My mesh jacket was equally full of bugs, in only 20 minutes of riding. I've taken some bigger bugs that would have hurt quite a bit, judging by the sound it made against my helmet...but this is the first time I've been so completely covered in such a short amount of time.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I hit a dragonfly with my helmet going about 80. It was a big fucker, almost knocked me off my old EX250

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A Bogong moth, right in the middle of my visor. It was utterly disgusting.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

redscare posted:

How the gently caress can you get on a bike without a lid, nevermind letting someone else get on it with you.

I can only assume they have no instincts for self preservation. I can't even make it to the end of the street before turning back when I forget my riding boots, let alone helmet and jacket. I just feel really uneasy when I don't have gear on.

Also: Hailstorm at 75mph. Hail sounds like gunshots against your visor at that speed. Not that you notice because everything hurts.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

8ender posted:

Also: Hailstorm at 75mph. Hail sounds like gunshots against your visor at that speed. Not that you notice because everything hurts.

I encountered hail once. Light southern California hail. It still felt like a thousand angry bees were attacking my crotch.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
hail is interesting. I had welts on my hands for a few hours. Sometimes even a good rain sounds like a million bb's hitting the visor.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Look at me, I'm reposting jalopnik frontpage!

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/08/suzuki-gsx-r125-official-shot.html

http://www.superbike.co.uk/news/Suzuki_GSXR125_breaks_cover_for_2010_in_official_factory_pictures_news_288315.html

GIIIXER125, a tiny tiny Suzuki

It looks so sad.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

Retarded Pimp posted:

gently caress!

I always knew riding in jeans is a bad idea but drat...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
flipping through a manual that came with my bmw /6 and came upon this gem. this is the emissions control circuit for gas tank vapors. this isn't for crankcase gases or catalytic converters or anything, all it does is prevent fuel vapors from venting into the atmosphere when the tank is hot.

and this is from a late 80s motorcycle. i don't even want to think what modern cars are like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School
Worst impact I've had was catching a cigarette butt from a jackass in a convertible--hit me right under the helmet and tagged my neck.

That's right, kids, there's flying poo poo out there.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Saint Melmoth posted:

Worst impact I've had was catching a cigarette butt from a jackass in a convertible--hit me right under the helmet and tagged my neck.

That's right, kids, there's flying poo poo out there.

My aunt flicked a cigarette out of her car and caught a motorcycle cop in the face. That didn't go over well.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

Goddamnit where the hell is the competitor for the Ninja250 in America? That poo poo sells like hotcakes and no one wants to even try.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Retarded Pimp posted:

I guess my "cousin" (long story) fell off the back of a motorcycle yesterday wearing no gear and a mini skirt. Says she's got road rash all over her rear end and is lucky she didn't get run over. Also, no insurance, so she's taking care of the injuries herself. Reminded me of this story.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Suzuki has a long history with VERY good steel frames. The entire GS series, and GSF series, early GSXRs and the RF600 and 900.

And we don't get those bikes due to EPA bullcrap.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Nerobro posted:

Suzuki has a long history with VERY good steel frames. The entire GS series, and GSF series, early GSXRs and the RF600 and 900.

I'm guessing EPA means the environmental standards? How is that? Emissions standards for motorbikes in the EU are ridiculously stringent in comparison to the US so surely any bike that meets EU standards will pass the US ones without trouble.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isnt it the other way around? If a bike passes in the US its good enough for the rest of the world, but not the opposite?

I thought thats how it was.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ranathari posted:

I'm guessing EPA means the environmental standards? How is that? Emissions standards for motorbikes in the EU are ridiculously stringent in comparison to the US so surely any bike that meets EU standards will pass the US ones without trouble.

My understanding of it is that they're different standards with different tests for different pollutants.

Nerobro posted:

We get all of those bikes...:iiam:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

the EU doens't require the very long term testing. To pass emissions in the US you need to prove a vehicle will remain emissions compliant for 100,000 miles or more. US testing is very, very expensive. EU I think is a random testing thing, but i'm not entirely sure how they work it. Say the least the system for testing there is wildly cheaper than here, as they manage to bring four or six times as many motors to market than we do.

The US emissions standards favor CO emissoins, and are very stringent on NOx emissions. EU emissoins are tight on CO and care less on NOx emissions. High horsepower applications make lots of NOx.

The EU standards are more stringent. They're just stringent, differently.

Both systems have nearly eliminated air cooled motors because they don't come up to temperature fast enough.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Heh, I was checking out local groups/clubs/gangs/crews in the area out of boredom and curiosity.

Aside from the group of gay bikers one had a section for "Fallen Brothers" with about 8 people or something. It didn't have details but I could guess how they died. Sounds like my kind of peeps.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/mcy/1356767618.html

:( sucks i dont have the time to get my first bike right now, but drat if this wasnt pretty much exactly what I was looking for in a first bike

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anyone remember this pic from my previous ride report? It's a cool piece of unstable mountain that has rockslides now and again.

I took the panorama from the bottom of the scree.

This is what it looks like today:

About 10,000 tons of rock. More pics here: http://www.bt.no/multimedia/bildeserier/article921112.ece

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm no dirtbiker/rock climber/whatever but it looks like it could be fun...eh

-edit - I'd just use it to catch sick air on my Suzuki.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Nerobro posted:

the EU doens't require the very long term testing. To pass emissions in the US you need to prove a vehicle will remain emissions compliant for 100,000 miles or more. US testing is very, very expensive. EU I think is a random testing thing, but i'm not entirely sure how they work it. Say the least the system for testing there is wildly cheaper than here, as they manage to bring four or six times as many motors to market than we do.

The US emissions standards favor CO emissoins, and are very stringent on NOx emissions. EU emissoins are tight on CO and care less on NOx emissions. High horsepower applications make lots of NOx.

The EU standards are more stringent. They're just stringent, differently.

Both systems have nearly eliminated air cooled motors because they don't come up to temperature fast enough.
From what I've heard the testing expense is why Kawi kept the carbs on the new 250 and KLR.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
"2008 Ninja - great starter bike

250cc 850miles

great shape, moving to something faster"

Get the gently caress outta my town with that poo poo. Craigslist gives me no hope for humanity. 850 miles? I do that in 3 weeks easy!

=====*reserving this space for local news story about bike accident*=====

Oh god I need to stop browsing :

"1984 Honda Shadow 500 - $3000
This bike is a collectors addition bike with a 4 cylinder motor, and custom chrome front fender. It has Cobra drag pipes, leather saddle bags, and only has 52,000 miles on it"

"WANNA TRADE YOUR VETTE FOR A HARLEY???" 5 month old, $25k bike, ad is in all caps

"2008 Suzuki Hayabusa - $8500" 1600 miles, "I just lost interest in this and my buddies sold their bikes so now I have to ride solo"

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 5, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

UserNotFound posted:

250cc 850miles

Get the gently caress outta my town with that poo poo. Craigslist gives me no hope for humanity. 850 miles? I do that in 3 weeks easy!

Look, dude, he doesn't poo poo his pants when he opens the throttle, he's ready for that 6.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

UserNotFound posted:

250cc 850miles

I remember finding a CL listing from a guy in Springfrield saying he was selling his 250 because it didn't get him enough chicks. Maybe he's still holding over that angst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Methusulah posted:

I remember finding a CL listing from a guy in Springfrield saying he was selling his 250 because it didn't get him enough chicks. Maybe he's still holding over that angst?

Hahahaha I saw that too. What a turd.