Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I went through 3-4 sets of stock wrx wheels on my old car. Buy a set with decent tread for $120-200, abuse them until the tires are gone, repeat. The bonus is that you can sell individual wheels on e-bay for at least $50. Now I have some nice 16x7 rs wheels that I want to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z
Jun 25, 2002

Awesome, thanks for the tip guys :D

I'll be keeping an eye out for some used WRX wheels.

My front bumper looked like it was falling off, which I fixed last night and in the process discovered that someone had run my car into something pretty hard at some point. The guy I bought it from told me as much, but I was still a little surprised at some of the damage. Oh well, got it reattached, and replaced my headlight enclosures while I was at it.

I really don't want my car to turn into my hobby. I have an expensive hobby already. But god I love my Subaru.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Has anyone experienced the 2.5RS head gasket failure? From what I've read it happens around 120k miles and effectively totals the car. We have a 2002 that has 110k miles, and I'm debating selling it for 4-5 grand or just keeping it and hoping the motor doesn't pop.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

blargle posted:

Has anyone experienced the 2.5RS head gasket failure? From what I've read it happens around 120k miles and effectively totals the car. We have a 2002 that has 110k miles, and I'm debating selling it for 4-5 grand or just keeping it and hoping the motor doesn't pop.

Or you could replace the head gaskets and keep driving.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

blargle posted:

It seems that it's more of a sliding scale. There are cars that'll blow it around 80k miles, some that'll live well past 130k. It's normally totalled because, if you were to take it to a Subaru dealership for repairs, they're going to be asking at least $2000 to do the job. However, an independent shop can probably do it for half of that. To do it yourself you're looking just at parts, which is even less.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
So it's almost guaranteed to happen eventually? I've read you have to pull the engine to do it, and I'm not doing that on my own. Shame really, the car has been bulletproof. Dealers in NJ aren't budging on the (rare) 09 WRX so I'll probably go non Subaru.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
what is the highest mileage anyone owns a Subaru at? I know it's in good shape running wise, I was just wondering what mileage is too high for one (looking at close to 280km).

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

blargle posted:

I blew mine around 100k in my 2002. I paid the dealership closer to 1200 for head gaskets and timing belt plus some other poo poo. Nearly 20k miles later I'm still going strong, and I drive the poo poo out of my car. From what I gathered Subaru actually used bad/flawed gaskets for years before they finally corrected this. Once the gaskets are replaced, as long as you didn't warp the heads the motors more than fine for at least another 100k miles.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I suppose I should do some more research on headgaskets and put that into the op.

Changing the hgs was the very first thing I did when I bought my 98 2.5gt (with 132k miles) last year and I am not concerned at all about them leaking again for the lifetime of the car (or as long as the motor stays in).

From what I've been able to gather just now on nasioc, your 02 has piece of poo poo graphite headgaskets, which will leak. Have you recently had the timing belt and all that stuff changed? Parts to pull the motor out and replace pretty much everything total about $600. Labor is a lot though.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

what is the highest mileage anyone owns a Subaru at? I know it's in good shape running wise, I was just wondering what mileage is too high for one (looking at close to 280km).

I had an old '93 Legacy Wagon, with the immortal EJ22, that lived to around 207,000 miles. It was still going strong when a Town and Country hit the back end of it doing around 40mph while I was at a dead stop. It drove itself back home(once I'd removed one of the rear mudguards that was pressed against the tire) where it was totalled by the insurance. It wasn't a groceries-car either, I was working around an hour away from home at the time it got smashed up and had been for a good long while.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slow is Fast posted:

I blew mine around 100k in my 2002. I paid the dealership closer to 1200 for head gaskets and timing belt plus some other poo poo. Nearly 20k miles later I'm still going strong, and I drive the poo poo out of my car. From what I gathered Subaru actually used bad/flawed gaskets for years before they finally corrected this. Once the gaskets are replaced, as long as you didn't warp the heads the motors more than fine for at least another 100k miles.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the symptoms when it did happen? Do you have the 2.0 or 2.5?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm guessing a 2.5. It seems they didn't start using MLS gaskets in non-turbo cars until like 04 or 05. So any n/a 2.5 before then will potentially have headgaskets leak.

symptoms are a loss of coolant, overheating, oil in coolant, coolant in oil. That depends on the year.

phase 1 motors (95-99) would leak between the coolant passages and combustion chamber. So it would mostly push exhaust gases into the cooling system, forcing coolant out and causing the car to overheat. When I pulled my car into the shop after a short drive to pep-boys before I changed my gaskets, it was pouring water on the ground.

Post 99 cars will generally mix oil and coolant, which will also cause overheating issues, and possibly lubrication problems. If this is the case you might find steam coming out of the oil cap or pcv system because of all the water in the oil. You'll also be able to see it on the dipstick and in the coolant.

Here's my piece of poo poo leaking graphite coated gasket compared to the new MLS gasket:

Additionally I do not recommend the subaru coolant conditioner since it's just a bottle of radiator stop-leak.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 3, 2009

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Jamal pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to the head gasket leak info. He knows his poo poo better than I do.

My experience was I was at an autocross, and my temp gauge started sky rocketing while I was in line staging. I immediately cranked the cabin heat up and pulled outta line. Popped the hood and had no coolant. My car would overheat and boil over the coolant causing the temp gauge to rise. You can also smell antifreeze when you blow the hgs. Then all the other symptoms Jamal listed.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

From what I understand now about the HG issue on the 00-02's is that they dump outside the combustion chamber as opposed to the older ones that dumped into the engine. It just buys a little bit of time where you can hope you dont blow your engine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

slowspeedracer posted:

From what I understand now about the HG issue on the 00-02's is that they dump outside the combustion chamber as opposed to the older ones that dumped into the engine. It just buys a little bit of time where you can hope you dont blow your engine.

Mines doing that right now. Weeps a little out when its parked. Its not gobbling coolant but I'm noticing it going missing. No coolant in oil or otherwise.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

I thought my new to me RS was doing it too but finally got it on the lift and it was just the oil pan rusting away where the dipstick goes in. Swung by the dealership and they said it was not only a very common problem, its also $140...

Ebay later for $40 I will be replacing this next week.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

My dad (he's had a subaru garage for 30 years) has a 91 Outback in the garage now that needs head gaskets that he said had either 430k or 480k on the clock. (I remembered that it was just shy of 500k.)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Thanks for the info, so high mileage shouldn't be a problem with that engine.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
As I was driving today I started hearing an odd 'pop' noise when I pressed the clutch all the way in. The noise seemed to be coming from right behind the gauge cluster, but I could be mistaken. So I park the car and sit with the engine off pressing the clutch a few times. It's a very soft pop, and with the engine off I'd hear it about 1/2 second after I pressed the clutch all the way in. If I don't press it all the way, no pop.

Driving home I couldn't hear the noise any more. Suggestions?

This is on an '02 WRX with 107k miles on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Would you also describe it as maybe a click?

Mine does it, the switch for the ignition cutoff for the clutch. It tends to get a bit noisy after awhile.

If that's what it is in your case, you can quiet it down a bit by fishing it out of there, dismantling it, and lubricating the internals. It's a pretty big pain in the rear end though getting under the dash like that.

Edit: Hmm, after reading it again it sound like it's a delayed response. I would say that maybe it's your slave cylinder. If you take the intercooler off and have someone push the clutch in, you can watch the slave cylinder push the clutch. Maybe it's losing pressure. Do you ever have trouble getting it into gear?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 3, 2009

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
It could be a click, yeah. It's kind of a nebulous click/pop sound that is just hard to describe.

I do have trouble getting into gear sometimes, but I'm almost positive that's a synchro issue. I've had slight problems with that since I bought the car and it's always the same gears that give me the same amount of grief. Having experienced synchro problems in another car it feels exactly like that. This seems like something new, but I could be wrong.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

I had an 89 GL wagon that I got at ~300,000 miles, drove it to 325k, sold it to my ex's little brother who, last time I heard, was at around 375k.

As I understand it, with decent maintenance, that's about average for a Subaru.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
Raise a glass to my 97 outback. My first car. 144 thousand miles of pure balls. Victim of 2 hosed up head gaskets and yet it never totally broke down on me. Survivor of Camp Bisco. It pains my heart you never saw the first snow of new england winter. You were good to me for these 3 long summer months. i will miss you. you were my best non-living friend. I hope wherever you end up someone will love you just as much as i did......

On the way to work I had a check engine light. I figure I swing by the shop down the road from the office and get it checked out. 20 minutes later the mechanic comes to me with his head down. Informs me that the headgasket is totally hosed. The headgasket my uncle claimed to replace 5 months prior to me getting the car is hosed. I just had the car "checked out" 2 weeks ago by our "family" mechanic. The engine won't stop over heating. Oil is in the antifreeze. The cost to repair is too astronomical. Buying a new engine will probably cost more than the car is worth.

Right now the car is sitting in the office parking lot. I feel like I can hear it whimpering from here. I'm debating whether I should bother having it towed home today or just leave it here until I figure out a real plan. I'm frightened to try driving it on the highway to get back.

I'm trying to figure out what I should do from here. I loving loved my outback and I'd like another Subaru...one without horrible headgasket issues. I'm thinking an impreza hatch, legacy gt wagon or another outback, but right now I just wish i could drive my outback home like any normal day.

any advice anyone can give me would help. even a goondolences. and if anyone around boston/lower nh wants to look at my car and see if it's worth anything to them to take off my hands let me know.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
buy this!

http://www.cosworth.com/Default.aspx?id=1091807

I don't know what I was thinking even looking at that site :(

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

burtonos posted:

buy this!

http://www.cosworth.com/Default.aspx?id=1091807

I don't know what I was thinking even looking at that site :(

$10k shortblock isn't going to go over well I don' think

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

TurboLuvah posted:

$10k shortblock isn't going to go over well I don' think

Pessimist

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

burtonos posted:

Pessimist

I prefer realist :)

I would, however, very much like that block in my car.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Waitin for the tow truck. :sigh:

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How hard is it to reseal the gas tank in a 1998 Impreza?

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

sbaldrick posted:

How hard is it to reseal the gas tank in a 1998 Impreza?

I just put a gas tank in my 99 Outback. I think the tank in the Impreza straddles the driveshaft like in my Outback. Bitch and a half to change, especially if everything is rusty.

Detergent
Aug 7, 2006

WDE WDE WDE
Really looking at one of those new Foresters, but I don't know if the base 170hp 2.5l is enough motor, coming down from a massive Toyota Tundra. Also I keep hearing horror stories about the 4 speed automatic...

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Do Saabarus have the lovely head gasket issue?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Tiny Faye posted:

Do Saabarus have the lovely head gasket issue?

Didn't the Saabarus come with the 2.0L? I believe the probably was localized to just the N/A 2.5L's for a few years, as the headgaskets from the STI's turbo 2.5 are what I've seen recommended to use when you replace the gaskets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Detergent posted:

Really looking at one of those new Foresters, but I don't know if the base 170hp 2.5l is enough motor, coming down from a massive Toyota Tundra. Also I keep hearing horror stories about the 4 speed automatic...

From the questions I've asked earlier, the 4-spd auto seems to be rock solid. As for the HP, maybe take one for a drive? 170/170 is nothing to sneeze at.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

Didn't the Saabarus come with the 2.0L? I believe the probably was localized to just the N/A 2.5L's for a few years, as the headgaskets from the STI's turbo 2.5 are what I've seen recommended to use when you replace the gaskets.

quote:

The 2006 model 9-2X was priced between US$23,710 and US$27,670. The new for 2006 DOHC turbocharged 2.5 L engine produced 230 hp (172 kW) at 5,600 rpm and 235 lb·ft (319 N·m) of torque @ 3,600 rpm. For 2006, the powertrain consisted of the following:

Either a 2.5 L, flat, four-cylinder engine shared with the Subaru Impreza in the formerly badged 'Linear' model, badged 2.5i, or a 2.5 L, turbocharged, flat, four-cylinder engine shared with the Impreza WRX in the 'Aero'-badged model.

The naturally aspirated SOHC with variable valve timing 2.5 L engine produced 173 hp (129 kW) at 6000 RPM and 166 lb·ft (225 N·m) of torque at 4400 RPM.

The DOHC turbocharged 2.5 L engine produced 230 hp (172 kW) at 6000 RPM and 235 lb·ft (319 N·m) of torque at 3600 RPM.

For 2005, the powertrain consisted of the following:
Either a 2.5 L, flat, four-cylinder engine shared with the Subaru Impreza in the 'Linear' model, badged 2.5i, or a 2.0 L, turbocharged, flat four-cylinder engine shared with the Subaru Impreza WRX in the 'Aero' badged model.

The DOHC turbocharged 2.0 L engine produced 227 hp (169 kW) at 6000 RPM, as well as 217 lb·ft (294 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm.

The naturally aspirated SOHC 2.5 L engine produced 165 hp (123 kW) at 5600 RPM and 166 lb·ft (225 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm.

I've been eyeing a few 2005 linears as a potential replacement for my outback but I'm a little scared that at 100k+ I'll run into the same head gasket nightmare. I'd really love a Saaburu, right now their resale value is less than a comparable Impreza from the same model year. Less money for better ride quality, seems like a no brainer to me to go with the 9-2x.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lately, I've been thinking about jumping overboard the Honda boat in favor of Subaru. I've been "faithful" to Honda (read: affording only Hondas, really) for the past 10 years of my legal right to drive, but in my opinion, their quality and namesake has gone downhill while their prices have risen.

My latest Honda is a 2007 Civic Si, and I loved it to death for the first year, but that has turned into a love-hate relationship. To make a long story short, I'm ambitious with tuning and amateur (sanctioned!) racing, and K-series engines are simply a poor powerplant for natural aspiration upgrades in comparison to Honda engines of yesteryear. Build quality has suffered as well; the engine and transmission were both made in Canada as opposed to Japan, and despite pleasant-feeling shifting, there are a handful of crippling flaws -- grinding and gear rejection at high RPMs, to name a few, effectively ruining the "high-revving" purpose of this car.

My income/expenses will not reasonably allow me to mess with aftermarket forced induction and the maintenance costs that accompany it, which is the only way to make real, usable power with this car. I've rounded out "all" of the available N/A & suspension mods save for cams and headwork (as I said, amateur tuner) and topped it all off with a Honda-flavored Accessport, and $2k later, I'm only making around 30-35 HP over stock (still with an embarrassing lack of torque.) After seeing what Cobb's Accessport is capable of doing with a new stock WRX, I can't help but feel extremely jealous.

Woops, I really don't know where I was going with this! I suppose I'll just say that my Honda fanboy days have reached their peak, and I'll be spending the next few hours backtracking through this thread for all the juicy Subaru goon tips.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I'm thinking about buying a 2009 WRX. Is there anything I should know? I'm cross-shopping for an RX8 R3 and Genesis 3.8 Coupe. I live in the northeast, so awd would be useful.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jromano posted:

I'm thinking about buying a 2009 WRX. Is there anything I should know? I'm cross-shopping for an RX8 R3 and Genesis 3.8 Coupe. I live in the northeast, so awd would be useful.

Not getting the premium with the sunroof is my biggest regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

jromano posted:

See this thread and avoid a build date of 07/08 or 08/08. You should be safe if you get something outside of that range. Mine was an 08/08 build date and I thought I would be safe but my engine failed at 7414 miles. But I think Subaru did me right on the repair.