Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leecifer
May 29, 2001

Agreed posted:

So Line6 is giving away Pod Farm to anyone that has an iLok, all through the month of September.

Check out my blog post on the topic for details, features, and links to the free offer page and model list page

Edit: this has been a busy news day.

Wow. This is quite interesting news. It seems like both the GR4 and Pod Farm stories would fit well in THIS THREAD!

I know you have your blog and FG and you just moved, etc., etc., but I miss seeing new posts in that thread.:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Leecifer posted:

Wow. This is quite interesting news. It seems like both the GR4 and Pod Farm stories would fit well in THIS THREAD!

I know you have your blog and FG and you just moved, etc., etc., but I miss seeing new posts in that thread.:(

I do somewhat regret leaving forums-based reviewing behind, but as an experiment it just didn't really work out. The goal was to get a lot of user participation and try to have the kind of interactivity that would make my reviewing an extension of what people were looking for. If it had worked it would have been an end-run around the problem of trying to keep your finger on the pulse of the market, but there just wasn't enough interest to make that model work and still publish enough content that I could legitimately bill it as something serious to companies when contacting them to see about getting something in for review. And the ones who were responsive all said something like "I see what you're trying to do there, but you should really start a blog or review site instead, it is difficult to make sense of the threads." I could try to argue with them about it, but really they were right.

Writing for Frugal and blogging has made it much, much easier to be able to get product, and with more product in hand it's much, much easier to publish interesting content, which in turn makes it much, much easier to be able to get product... It's kind of a ladder, but on the forums it only had about two steps. And truthfully the blog has many of the benefits I had hoped to gain by doing it all in the forums - users can drop by and comment and I can keep in touch with what they want and get immediate feedback that way - but with none of the limitations of the forums days.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for this, it is available for anyone with other Line 6 hardware too. I just got it for my $5 PODxt.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Only for this stuff http://de.line6.com/store/podfarm

No free POD Farm for POD 2 or amp owners :(

Midget Gems
Dec 31, 2007
I hear they have the internet on computers these days
I recently picked up a Kustum KBA100 bass amp on e-bay for £10, sold as spares or repair. There was no life in it upon testing it, but I managed to get it working again after another £10 worth of replacement components. Meaning it was £20 in total.

I'm very pleased with it - sounds good with both bass and electric. The 8band EQ means I can get a fair amount of sounds out of it.

This here was a bit of an impulse e-bay buy. It is, as you can see, a ukulele made from a tin of sweets.

Obviously, with no sound hole it's not particularly loud, so I was thinking about fitting a pickup. I have no experience with acoustic pickups, so can anyone tell me what my best options are for fitting a pickup / getting more noise out of it

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Thinkin about picking up this half finished parts-Mustang

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Depends how cheap. Neck and body looks like they need some work. Really depends where the neck and body came from. Electronics can always be changed out.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Dude wants €80 (~115USD). I think the neck is from a Strat copy, so I'll have to decide if I want to keep it or go for a correct short scale neck before I drill the bridge. Body was made by a mystery luthier, apparently.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZT5-uGn9uk

As I said in the video, I have the nerdiest voice in the world, and I'm by no means the best player, but this pedal is great.

If you liked it/think you'll like it, you should totally shoot Burt an email at dr.booger at gorillasalsa.com

I don't receive any money for this, I simply want to show gratitude to him because he went far out of his way to help me out.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I wish you played it a little more, because it sounds really quite nice. I do rather like the strangely charming design you thought up for it.

("so, yeah...")

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Lovechop posted:

I wish you played it a little more, because it sounds really quite nice. I do rather like the strangely charming design you thought up for it.

("so, yeah...")
It's my first demo, and I was doing it in a hurry because I'm busy. The guys at TGP are being grumpy old men about it, so I'm glad you liked it. I tried to put an annotation in the front part of the video that skips to the sound part, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Krazny_Oktyabr
Nov 12, 2002

Agreed posted:

So Line6 is giving away Pod Farm to anyone that has an iLok, all through the month of September.

Check out my blog post on the topic for details, features, and links to the free offer page and model list page

Edit: this has been a busy news day.

Thanks for this...POD XT Live qualifies!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

It's my first demo, and I was doing it in a hurry because I'm busy. The guys at TGP are being grumpy old men about it, so I'm glad you liked it. I tried to put an annotation in the front part of the video that skips to the sound part, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I got you back in that TGP thread, there is a very serious rule about being up front about any and all manufacturer associations you have and violators are banned so it's not just them being grumpy or whatever. It did look sort of like you were trying to (poorly and stupidly) word-of-mouth-market your own product. I vouched for you.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Agreed posted:

I got you back in that TGP thread, there is a very serious rule about being up front about any and all manufacturer associations you have and violators are banned so it's not just them being grumpy or whatever. It did look sort of like you were trying to (poorly and stupidly) word-of-mouth-market your own product. I vouched for you.
Ahhhhhhh, I see I've misunderstood. Thanks a bunch, Agreed. You're the best :)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Didnt know you guys were on TGP, I posted in there too, not that it matters much...

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Coming in a few days. I'm sure one or two of you will recognise it. My first mic! For mic'ing up my Randall combo, because using the line-out port sucks. Pity it turns out I'm also going to have to wait at least a couple more months for my Bloody Mary :(

Edit:

That 'one or two' part wasn't entirely serious.

vvvvvv

The Stygian fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 3, 2009

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Who DOESN'T know about the SM57?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Didnt know you guys were on TGP, I posted in there too, not that it matters much...

Ugh, I'm on there too. Hate that place. Bunch of cork-sniffing old grumps. One of the only places on the Internet where someone will be proud they spent $45,000 on a freaking piece of crap Dumble amp instead of being embarrassed about it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Catastrophe posted:

Ugh, I'm on there too. Hate that place. Bunch of cork-sniffing old grumps. One of the only places on the Internet where someone will be proud they spent $45,000 on a freaking piece of crap Dumble amp instead of being embarrassed about it.

It's like SA, though, different forums have different personalities and their own set of regulars. Just gotta find your niche. I don't go in the amps section, I stick to Effects and Digital. The rules are strict but they give the place a very on-topic nature and that makes it a nice change of pace from Harmony-Central sometimes (and also keeps it a lot more builder-friendly than HC's oftentimes much more acerbic environment so it's a pretty good place to talk to the makers of the stuff you like). The cork-sniffing aspect can be funny sometimes, any discussion of cables is downright hilarious there and folks on much of the site will poo-poo digital but then praise a clip if they don't know it was made with a modeler, but it is not a place without its charm.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
Sometimes my $30 and I go on Craigslist and to yardsales held by children.

$25: Squier strat (logo was sanded off) in metallic blue. The neck pocket's a little shot, but the neck (my main interest in it) is in good condition and is going to be popped onto a worn sunburst strat body I have with a white pickguard and a set of Fender strat pickups I got for free. Other than that, the three pots, the jack and the switch all work and I can recycle the bridge and everything except the tort pickguard.

I have NO idea what happened to that guard.

$5: Nameless/brandless battery operated keyboard. It has a number of instruments, a vibrato button, some pre-programmed beats (very 8-bit), it's loud as hell and there are headphone and microphone (?) jacks. Also a "custom drummer" set of buttons to make your own lil' beats. And there's also a a DEMO button that plays Greensleeves. How can I go wrong?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I opened my modeling thread back up because of the two big promos going on right now, Line6's free Pod Farm Silver and IKMM's Amplitube Group Buy. There are already a lot of people getting in to the Group Buy, I imagine it'll make the goal no problem. It starts as a buy-one-get-one-free, and if 2000 people get on board by October 31, everyone gets a third one for free. They could add more to it if the goal is exceeded, they did with T-Racks Singles, but who knows how that'll go.

Anyway, look at my modeling thread or just go to my blog post on it.

I guess I'll keep the modeling thread open a while longer and see if there's any remaining interest here, but if it ends up on page whatever again I'll close it for good.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

The only other goons I know of on TGP are Agreed and Carbohydrates. Well, then Catastrophe made the announcement, but I don't know his username.

Catastrophe posted:

Agreed posted:

It's like SA, though, different forums have different personalities and their own set of regulars. Just gotta find your niche. I don't go in the amps section, I stick to Effects and Digital. The rules are strict but they give the place a very on-topic nature and that makes it a nice change of pace from Harmony-Central sometimes (and also keeps it a lot more builder-friendly than HC's oftentimes much more acerbic environment so it's a pretty good place to talk to the makers of the stuff you like). The cork-sniffing aspect can be funny sometimes, any discussion of cables is downright hilarious there and folks on much of the site will poo-poo digital but then praise a clip if they don't know it was made with a modeler, but it is not a place without its charm.
I'm with Agreed on this. The effects area is really the only place I go to because amps seems to be the snottiest about stuff. Threads will come up like "Which point-to-point amp has the LEAST amount of signal loss", and it's just stupid (I read once that you should never trust a pedal/amp builder who organizes his wires neatly because the wires' proximity with each other creates (EDIT: enough capacitance to affect tone) :rolleyes::fh: ). Effects is pretty laid back about that kind of stuff until you mention cables as Agreed mentioned.

As a matter of fact, some dude (who also posted in this thread) showed off his completed pedalboard full of Boss pedals in the pedalboard thread and I thought he was going to get flamed to hell over it, but people seemed genuinely impressed, and it gave me hope that TGP is growing up (or the old snooty people are dying).

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 4, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I might have been the guy that said that - except I would never say "never trust a builder blah blah blah," I would have said something more matter-of-fact. Pretty right-angles and highway-like rows of wire might look cool but it really does create capacitance that can have adverse effects on the circuit. Sort of the same reason you want your power adapter cables to cross audio cables perpendicularly rather than run parallel to them.

But sometimes you want it and can take advantage of it. Modern amps are sometimes designed so that the PCB layout creates capacitance in certain areas that acts almost as a "virtual" negative feedback in the amp, can be an interesting way to modulate the tone without extra parts.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

As long as the traces are equidistant apart for the respective impedance at frequency, crosstalk is a non-issue.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Cojawfee posted:

Who DOESN'T understand sarcasm?

Fixed it for ya!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Fog posted:

Fixed it for ya!

I was being saracstic. :smug:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Agreed posted:

I might have been the guy that said that - except I would never say "never trust a builder blah blah blah," I would have said something more matter-of-fact. Pretty right-angles and highway-like rows of wire might look cool but it really does create capacitance that can have adverse effects on the circuit. Sort of the same reason you want your power adapter cables to cross audio cables perpendicularly rather than run parallel to them.

But sometimes you want it and can take advantage of it. Modern amps are sometimes designed so that the PCB layout creates capacitance in certain areas that acts almost as a "virtual" negative feedback in the amp, can be an interesting way to modulate the tone without extra parts.
The thing is, there are two wires running alongside each other in the very cables you use to connect your guitar to pedals like these:

I simply cannot imagine that a wiring setup like this is absolutely annihilating your tone, especially because this pedal is a VERY nice boutique pedal.

Call me a plebe, I just don't buy it.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 4, 2009

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salsa posted:

(I read once that you should never trust a pedal/amp builder who organizes his wires neatly because the wires' proximity with each other creates capacitance :rolleyes::fh: ).

Back in the mid 90's I worked for Valve Amplification Company when they were located in Durham, NC. I worked on their Marantz reissue production line for a couple of days and then moved onto their VAC line. I built a lot of tube amps in the 18 months or so that I worked there.
Kevin Hayes, the designer of their stuff, called me on this. I was new to the field and I was putting, like Agreed said, pretty 90-degree angles and routing wires parallel to each other. If you find a mid-90's Renaissance 30/30 or 70/70 or CPA there's a good chance I wired many of the sub assemblies, most of which were point-to-point hand-wired. Kevin told me that my wiring looked nice but for his kind of product, which are very high-end, well-respected tube amps, I needed to break that habit for the very reason cited above. Noise and capacitance induction.

I'll tell you a true story that honestly blew my mind.

On the VAC production line we built a very complicated and time-consuming preamp that called for two brands of 20-ga. stranded wire. Or it might have been 18-ga., it's been a long time and I can't remember for sure. Anyway, we were instructed to use one brand throughout the assmebly and one other brand just to and from the huge rotary selector switch from the RCA input jacks on the back.
When we finished one of these it went to testing, then 24 hours of burn-in, then Kevin personally put it in his listening room and listened to it. If anything seemed off, it came back to the line.
So Kevin walks into the room with a newly tested preamp. The unit is buttoned up and there was no way to see inside. He said to me, "Open this up and check the wiring. It doesn't sound right. I think maybe one of you guys used the wrong brand of wire on the switch. "No loving way you can hear something like that," I thought to myself. I flipped the thing over and took the bottom panel off and saw right away that he was exactly right. We'd used the wrong brand of wire on the switch and somehow he could tell just by listening to it. I am no crazy audiophile, and I seriously believe most of that poo poo is complete snake-oil; but there's no denying that Mr. Hayes heard the difference in two brands of otherwise identical wire. I was stunned. They guy was no fun to work for but he was legit.

That job loving sucked, too. I was not at all surprised that they moved back to Sarasota because most of their employees were from this awful neighborhood in Durham (you may have heard of Durham's reputation from the 90's, it was a shithole) and the building was in a serious crack neighborhood. I remember coming to work and seeing the For Sale sign in front of the building. The biggest problem they had was chicks' fake nails scratching up the paintwork. I heard quite a few of the products while I was there, though, and drat they sounded great. There's more I'd like to say but I don't know if it's safe... y'know, legally.

(edit-spelling)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 4, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

The thing is, there are two wires running alongside each other in the very cables you use to connect your guitar to pedals like these:

I simply cannot imagine that a wiring setup like this is absolutely annihilating your tone, especially because this pedal is a VERY nice boutique pedal.

Coplanar capacitance is a recognized electrical phenomenon. You can't say it doesn't exist, you might as well say that voltage doesn't exist. It is only a problem in certain applications (e.g. not a problem in that fuzz face, most likely), many of which don't have anything to do with a pedal, but it definitely exists and in certain circumstances it absolutely can deleteriously affect the performance of the circuit.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 4, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Agreed posted:

Coplanar capacitance is a recognized electrical phenomenon. You can't say it doesn't exist, you might as well say that voltage doesn't exist. It is only a problem in certain applications (e.g. not a problem in that fuzz face, most likely), many of which don't have anything to do with a pedal, but it definitely exists and in certain circumstances it absolutely can deleteriously affect the performance of the circuit.

I apologize, I wasn't trying to say they're lying about that phenomenon happening, but for someone to say you should avoid a pedal like the one pictured in favor of one with spaghetti-style wiring is kind of absurd, I think you'd agree.

Didn't know it was called Coplanar capacitance, though, thanks!

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 4, 2009

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Stuffs

20 bucks says he just opens them up in the back to see if they are wired right and plays them for a few minutes and then says he "heard" something off.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I apologize, I wasn't trying to say they're lying about that phenomenon happening, but for someone to say you should avoid a pedal like the one pictured in favor of one with spaghetti-style wiring is kind of absurd, I think you'd agree.

Didn't know it was called Coplanar capacitance, though, thanks!

I agree that in a pedal like that it matters not even a little. It does lead to some funny things - basically that's Landgraff style construction, okay, and he talks about how building them that way is somehow the best way, but really building every pedal that way would eventually run you into problems if you had one where the wires really need to cross perpendicularly to avoid undesirable interaction - it's sort of an uninformed thing to say, in other words, coming from someone who is billing himself as a real audiophile thinker type. So it's more about schadenfreude when it comes to pedals, you'll rarely see a case where it has an adverse effect on the functioning of the circuit that would make it not work right or something. But, good designers/builders like David Barber and Paul Cochrane take care in their designs, and you will see careful building where some wires are made to cross only perpendicularly while other ones aren't.

Sometimes the best path is actually an arc over another wire, so when you see a Barber pedal with a ton of really neat wiring and then one that seems like it's got too much wire for the connection being made, that's on purpose.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

20 bucks says he just opens them up in the back to see if they are wired right and plays them for a few minutes and then says he "heard" something off.

I totally understand your skepticism, but you never worked for the man. First, his Dad C.W. was the mechanical guy. I doubt Kevin ever picked up a phillips head screwdriver the whole time I knew him. He was a circuit-designer, a huge proponent of tube amplification, and a crazy set of ears who knew the audiophile (like your turn-table hi-fi system costs as much as a nice house in the early 90's, literally the 140-watt mono tube amp was $10k and the tubes alone were over $1k, and that's just for one channel.)

Second, this only happened once the entire time I was there. It wasn't a parlor trick. I honestly have no idea how the mistake got made in the first place, as it wasn't one of my assemblies.

Third, you would absolutely not doubt the man if you'd seen him in action as we did. Maybe you haven't done any research, but it's ok because at the level he worked in there probably aren't many Internet pages devoted to the guy. It's rarefied air and anything said about him professionally is probably going to be in print magazines, and in various languages (I remember seeing print magazine reviews in German and other foreign languages, the Internet was still a ways off). He told me that in the new global economy they guys making economical cars would be squeezed out by the giant manufacturers, so the only opportunity was to be the boutique manufacturer making Rolls-Royces. He obviously had a serious talent for it.

I built those preamps, and I worked for the company; and I doubt very much that Kevin Hayes needed to open that preamp to know what was up. You'd lose that 20 bucks, I'm sure of it. I'd bet much more than that.

And again the main point is that the unit passed all testing and burn-in. It was indeed wired correctly (no mean feat considering the number of turrets, feet of wire, and components and tubes in this complex build) but the only discrepancy was one brand of stranded wire over another on one sub-as'sy.

But I only stick up for the guy because I witnessed this first-hand. As I said before, I was a huge skeptic myself and I couldn't bring myself to actually like the guy. But that's a whole different story that I don't think I should get into.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Gorilla Salsa posted:

As a matter of fact, some dude (who also posted in this thread) showed off his completed pedalboard full of Boss pedals in the pedalboard thread and I thought he was going to get flamed to hell over it, but people seemed genuinely impressed, and it gave me hope that TGP is growing up (or the old snooty people are dying).

Yeah that was me but to be fair a lot of people on the effects forum have always liked Boss pedals.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

dancehall posted:

Yeah that was me but to be fair a lot of people on the effects forum have always liked Boss pedals.
Yeah, like I said, I thought you were going to get railed for that, because of the whole true bypass thing, but I learned something that day.

That PB was pretty sweet, by the way.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Speaking of bad wiring practices, I just finished my first from-scratch pedal. It's based off of the Barber LTD Silver, except that I tweaked a couple of values for taste and used a JRC4558 instead of the JRC072BD. I had a lot of fun putting it together, and I learned a lot of things to bear in mind for next time. I'll try to record and upload some audio samples tonight. Initial impressions are that it's very subtle up until the drive knob is around 2 o'clock, and the gain is very smooth. It still needs a bit of tweaking on the internal trimpots to level out the final eq, and maybe another substitution or two to get what I have in mind, but it's good enough for me to bring to practice this weekend and see how it plays.

edit: turned off the dehumidifier in the basement long enough to record some noodling around. First is the pedal in bypass, then with the drive in the middle, then slowly working up. The last thirty seconds or so, I've got the drive back down around 2 o'clock. The recording has a bit of microphone distortion to it. In the flesh, it's not nearly as grainy sounding.

The Good Silverware.mp3

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 5, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Running them parallel to eachother can indeed introduce coupling from one wire to the next (via magnetic fields :science:), however I would think you would see more of an effect by putting those (plug in adapter) power traces parallel to the signal path...thats where crosstalk starts happening. I would almost think that adverse small-signal coupling between those wires would be minimal. The current flowing in those traces are is probably so small to make a difference at least. Havent done any analysis, but its just my first guess.

I enjoy TGP for the most part and tend to stick with the effects pages, I like the technique forum, And I like looking at the pedalboard/effects setup threads because I like to see how others set up their rigs. In general though, I end up frequenting the emporium the most, you can get some decent pedals for cheep when someone gets some buyer's remorse...

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

bisticles posted:

"100% Coplanar Capacitance free!" :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

The only other goons I know of on TGP are Agreed and Carbohydrates.
Guilty, but I'm mostly there to buy and sell since TGP's sale/trade forums get the really fun stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just received my M-Audio KeyStudio from Woot. It's on the desk behind the typing keyboard:

First impressions are that it's rather flimsy, when you press a key it's got as much horizontal freedom as vertical. Then again it's hard to expect a ton for $60, but it'll be interesting to see what I can do now that I have proper midi controls (all I had before was the PSR-275 on the right, which does nothing but play notes).