Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mez posted:

oh god KGS is down. My life in ruins

I had thought it was just me. Luckily, it's back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I don't understand this. Half of ITGO is in Europe or Australia, and a good chunk is in middle America. Why would we do New York? Does anyone in ITGO even live in New York or near it?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Peantoo posted:

I don't understand this. Half of ITGO is in Europe or Australia, and a good chunk is in middle America. Why would we do New York? Does anyone in ITGO even live in New York or near it?

Lovely lives near it, but we can't stay with him. Qxan lives in Philly, I think? Which is kinda closer to NYC?

DON'T ASK ME I INVITED ALL YOU JIVE TURKEYS TO MY HOUSE!

I guess if the 7 people that voted for NYC would like to explain their vote it would help us dumb Midwestern ITGOoons.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I voted for England. I think there are more votes than there are people in ITGO as well.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
Nobody's going overseas to meet a bunch of super nerds from an internet chat room, just have separate meetups for separate continents sheesh.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I only put an England option there since Exar wanted it. It's also why the votes only count 1/3rd of a normal vote.

Also it's a trick because there is a Sheffield area in Chicago and I'm counting them as votes for Chicago...Okay not really...but I thought about it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I voted New York because I am in Baltimore, and it's easier to get to New York than Chicago.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

I voted NYC because I am in Delaware.

Really, us mid-Atlantic goons should goonrush a club.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Peantoo posted:

Yeah, I would like to see who organizes a NYC meet considering nobody actually lives there.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

Yeah, I would like to see who organizes a NYC meet considering nobody actually lives there.

Just saying...

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
you know we could always have multiple meetups

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

you know we could always have multiple meetups

LIES

Et tu, Brute?

That being said. Mini meetups are an option.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Blendy posted:

That being said. Mini meetups are an option.

We could just have everyone get on goonmap.com and then make an ITGO group and see where the best spots might be.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
geographically it would end up being 3 miles due north of Cow Tongue, Nebraska.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Do the goonmap thing. It would be the middle of the ocean. Which ocean? I don't know.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

qxan posted:

Do the goonmap thing. It would be the middle of the ocean. Which ocean? I don't know.

I created an ITGO group on goonmap, but it doesn't seem to actually make a map of the locations of the members in the group. I guess goonmap is no better than just using a private Google map (shared to people in ITGO, I guess).

Edit: If you want an invitation to the ITGO map, just say an e-mail address in ITGO (or here I guess, if you're not paranoid) and it'll be invited.

dirby fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 30, 2009

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I live in PA 45 minutes north of Philly. Screw NYC, let's just pick a place somewhere near Philly if this actually happens.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

helopticor posted:

I created an ITGO group on goonmap, but it doesn't seem to actually make a map of the locations of the members in the group. I guess goonmap is no better than just using a private Google map (shared to people in ITGO, I guess).

Edit: If you want an invitation to the ITGO map, just say an e-mail address in ITGO (or here I guess, if you're not paranoid) and it'll be invited.

blendy.coffee.sa@gmail.com

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Invitation sent. However, we're not going to get very far if no one uses it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have played a small amount of go very poorly and so if this meetup happened somewhere close to me I would consider going, but that seems unlikely.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
KGS is not reliable in my area of Japan, so I haven't played online in ages. I've gotten apathetic about go in general, but while in China a few weeks ago I played some games at a go school in Chengdu and got utterly, terribly schooled. I'll be headed back to the States in a few weeks, so be looking for an "augustine" to roll up into the goon room.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
I added a bunch of people to the map whether they like it or not!!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

xau posted:

I added a bunch of people to the map whether they like it or not!!

It looks like there should be a Philadelphia meet, perhaps.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

helopticor posted:

It looks like there should be a Philadelphia meet, perhaps.

The algorithm says we're meeting in Bumfuck, Idaho. If you don't like it, swim to merry old England :colbert:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Under 15 posted:

At the low ranks, you can gain 3-4 stones a month with a little effort and it's pretty rare to just find someone who is currently at 15k, almost as hard as it is to find a boyfriend-free girl.
Hey, I'm currently at 15k. I guess I should lose some games to fix that.

Under 15 posted:

The algorithm says we're meeting in Bumfuck, Idaho.
I don't think Amtrak goes to Bumfuck and I don't have a car.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
I'm currently at 15k...because I just suddenly decided to stop for a couple weeks and now the semester is starting up and I have so much crap to do and oh god

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

To Hopkins:

I read the map wrong. I can't make it to Rockford! No public transit makes it that far. Maybe once I have a car D:

I wanted to play some go irl today...

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

helopticor posted:

Hey, I'm currently at 15k. I guess I should lose some games to fix that.

I beat a 13k with two stones by 0.5, which pushed me up to 14k. Let's see if I stay there.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

helopticor posted:

I beat a 13k with two stones by 0.5, which pushed me up to 14k. Let's see if I stay there.

Riding the rank line is just the best

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Real life go problems time!

I am white in this game, and black has just passed. After losing a large group in the upper left, I managed to make a big capture in the lower right, nearly evening out the game. As the game stands now, I lose by around seven points, but I found the move that gave me a fighting chance and led to the win. Can you spot the move? (Spoil your answers so everyone can play!)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Urban Renewal posted:

I am white in this game, and black has just passed. After losing a large group in the upper left, I managed to make a big capture in the lower right, nearly evening out the game. As the game stands now, I lose by around seven points, but I found the move that gave me a fighting chance and led to the win. Can you spot the move? (Spoil your answers so everyone can play!)
Is it G3?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Is it F3? If not, then I guess I'll have to go into ITGO and ask where my reading went wrong. (late edit: mystes pointed out where I went wrong)

Edit:

mystes posted:

Is it G3?

I don't think that works: If black follows up with G4, you capture the E3 group, but if black follows up with, say, F3, then the only reasonable move for white seems to be G4. Then G5 is in atari.
If black responds to save the stone, then white gets to capture the J4 (or, if F3 were a move to protect the J4 group, then the E3 group). Therefore, blsck shouldn't try to save the stone. White gets to capture, which starts a ko, and even if white wins the ko, it doesn't give enough points.

dirby fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 4, 2009

mystes
May 31, 2006

helopticor posted:

Is it F3? If not, then I guess I'll have to go into ITGO and ask where my reading went wrong.

Edit:

I don't think that works: If black follows up with G4, you capture the E3 group, but if black follows up with, say, F3, then the only reasonable move for white seems to be G4. Then G5 is in atari.
If black responds to save the stone, then white gets to capture the J4 (or, if F3 were a move to protect the J4 group, then the E3 group). Therefore, blsck shouldn't try to save the stone. White gets to capture, which starts a ko, and even if white wins the ko, it doesn't give enough points.

I was thinking of a slightly different sequence but I'm not sure if it works. If black does G4 then I would have white do F3 next.

Edit: If white does f3 [edit: I meant as the very first move in the problem] then can't black do G1 and successfully respond to anything after that?
vvv

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 4, 2009

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

mystes posted:

I was thinking of a slightly different sequence but I'm not sure if it works. If black does G4 then I would have white do F3 next.

That's exactly what I said:

helopticor posted:

If black follows up with G4, you capture the E3 group
Yes, white doing F3 next is how I was thinking of that happening.

However, I tried to argue that black has a better response than G4, which means this line doesn't affect how many points white can guarantee.

Edit:

mystes posted:

Edit: If white does f3 then can't black do G1 and successfully respond to anything after that?

Well, if you were right, then that means that your suggestion of G3 is wrong from the get-go. However, if the plays go G3, G4, F3, G1 then they continue on to white F1, black F2, white G2, black F1, white H1 and white does successfully capture the E3 group.

dirby fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 4, 2009

mystes
May 31, 2006

helopticor posted:

That's exactly what I said:

Yes, white doing F3 next is how I was thinking of that happening.
Sorry I thought you meant after those two moves. If white responds to the first move with that then do J2 I think. You can take the K2 group.

Edit: I mean after F3.

Here's the whole sequence [edit: I mean for my answer to the problem]:

1: G3

If 2: G4 then do 3: F3 and go for the E3 gorup.

If 2: F3 then 3: J2.
   If 4: H2 then do 5: G4.
      And If 6: H3 then do 7: F5
      And If 6: F5 then do 7: H3
   Otherwise (if 4 not H2) do 5: K1 and take K2 group.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 4, 2009

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

mystes posted:

Edit: If white does f3 [edit: I meant as the very first move in the problem] then can't black do G1 and successfully respond to anything after that?
vvv

Now that I understand what this is in response to, I think that my initial answer of F3 to the problem was wrong.

mystes posted:

Here's the whole sequence [edit: I mean for my answer to the problem]:

It looks that it's still the case that the most white can guarantee is capturing that one stone which I think isn't enough points, but I'm kinda lost now so maybe it is enough in this variation, or maybe there's a move in a completely different region of the board.

dirby fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 4, 2009

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I live dangerously how about W O4

mystes
May 31, 2006

helopticor posted:

Now that I understand what this is in response to, I think that my initial answer of F3 to the problem was wrong.

It looks that it's still the case that the most white can guarantee is capturing that one stone which I think isn't enough points, but I'm kinda lost now so maybe it is enough in this variation, or maybe there's a move in a completely different region of the board.
I have a new idea for that part of the sequence:
Edit: Argh what I wrote made no sense. I have to see if I just wrote messed up writing down what I was thinking or if it was just wrong.
vvv

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 4, 2009

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Argue posted:

I live dangerously how about W O4

That's so much simpler and I think it works.

dirby fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

One more try at my sequence:

1: G3

If 2: G4 then do 3: F3 and go for the E3 gorup.

If 2: F3 then 3: J2.
   If 4: H2 then do 5: G4.
      And If 6: H3 then do 7: G2
         If 8: H1 then do 9: F5
            If 10: F1 then do 11: G1
               (you get one of the two big groups)
      Or if 6: J1 then do 7: G2
         If 8: G1 then do 9: F5
            If 10: F1 then do H3
               If black doesn't do J2 then do J2.
               If black does 12: J2 then do 13: G5
                  If black does 14: H1 then do 15: L1
                     (I think whatever black does you can take their big group)
                  Otherwise take the E3 group
      And If 6: F5 then do 7: H3
   Otherwise (if 4 not H2) do 5: K1 and take K2 group.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 4, 2009