Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

My dog has recently started refusing to walk out the front door and is scared of the kitchen.

I live in an apartment with a courtyard, and 6 of my 7 neighbors are one gigantic family. They're all Indian, and they cook at home, and the smells from that have permeated my apartment, focusing mainly in the kitchen. They also sit outside in front of my door, talking quite loudly most of the day. There is also a very aggressive dog in a neighboring apartment that she is clearly frightened of.

Her general reaction is great reluctance to go in the kitchen, although she can be coaxed given enough time. I figure it is just the smells that keep her out. The front door, however, is impossible without scaring her, even when no one is outside. If I take her to the sliding door where no one ever is, she goes outside just fine. If I don't put a leash on her, I can get her to come out of the front door, but she slinks out with her tail tucked until she is well away from the area. Obviously, being leashless in an apartment isn't exactly ideal. If I walk her back in through the front door, she practically crawls between my legs then makes a mad dash to the door when we get close. I've tried gentle coaxing and treats, but the best I could get her to do was come to the edge of the door, and no further. Since all of these neighbors moved in, she's also become quite jumpy when outside if there is any kind of noise, like an air conditioner kicking on, or even me stepping on and breaking a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
My puppy stinks. Some times its to the point where it give me a bad headache. He's eating Merrick Turducken dry food. He also gets Milkbone crunchy treats and Bil Jac liver treats. The smell is like sweaty dirt. WE recently moved into a new house, the back yard is all dirt, dry desert dirt. We have limited his exposure to the dirt and it has cut down on the smell and his need for baths. The odor is still there, only on his back near his hind legs. any thoughts on what this could be? A lingering smell from something? Does the home remedy skunk wash work on all smells?

picture of the stink face

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Take him to the vet and have them check his anal glands.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Do anal glands stop smelling after a bath? After a bath he's okay for about a week before the stink is back.

crunchytacosupreme fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 29, 2009

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How do I get my cat to stop crapping in the neighbor's flower bed? :(

She's 8 years old, and a rehabilitated semi-feral cat, so keeping her in all the time is not an option. I tried making her indoors-only for her own health and safety, but she became depressed and combative. I can lock her in at night, but not during the day. She can only handle about 12 hours of being locked in before she starts getting cranky and nervous.

She was friends with my next door neighbor and the neighbor didn't mind her crapping in the flower bed, but the neighbor sold her house and is moving, and I imagine the new owner won't take kindly to cat fertilizer.

I'm hoping you guys can suggest some sort of spray or something that will make the flower bed less attractive without hurting my cat. She's still welcome to crap in my flower beds, as long as she leaves the neighbor's alone.

Any suggestions?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Apology posted:

How do I get my cat to stop crapping in the neighbor's flower bed? :(

She's 8 years old, and a rehabilitated semi-feral cat, so keeping her in all the time is not an option. I tried making her indoors-only for her own health and safety, but she became depressed and combative. I can lock her in at night, but not during the day. She can only handle about 12 hours of being locked in before she starts getting cranky and nervous.

She was friends with my next door neighbor and the neighbor didn't mind her crapping in the flower bed, but the neighbor sold her house and is moving, and I imagine the new owner won't take kindly to cat fertilizer.

I'm hoping you guys can suggest some sort of spray or something that will make the flower bed less attractive without hurting my cat. She's still welcome to crap in my flower beds, as long as she leaves the neighbor's alone.

Any suggestions?

Make a cat run.

its like lava posted:

Do anal glands stop smelling after a bath? After a bath he's okay for about a week before the stink is back.

They can, because you've washed off the bulk of it with the bath and it will stop stinking for a while until they leak again.

It can be other things but anal glands are one of the most common reasons for a stinky dog, especially if the smell is concentrated near his back end.

Rusty's anal glands start leaking if they get full and the smell is quite awful.

I would bring him to the vet and explain the stink issue first. If they don't find anything wrong then you might try a better shampoo and make sure you focus on his back end during baths.

How often are you bathing him currently?

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
H gets bathed every two weeks or less, just because of the smell. I would expect that if it was his anal glands that it would smell like poop, this is more of a strong dirt smell o even lime super dander. Either way I'll have the vet give him a sniff as soon as he gets ripe again. Is there a recommended shapoo for especially smelly dogs, maybe one that's okay for use often?

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ceridwen posted:

Make a cat run.
The HOA won't allow us to do that.

We have a screen porch, and I was hoping when we moved in that we'd be able to keep her inside, but on the third day of being confined to the house and screen porch, she ripped a hole in a window screen (inside the house) and escaped.

That's why I'm looking for an alternate solution to protect the neighbor's flower bed. If confining the cat to the house was an option, it would be much easier than tending to the neighbor's roses. Our other cat is indoors-only.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Could you make a collapsible or otherwise temporary cat run, and just take it inside when the cat's not using it? That way it's not a permanent structure for the HOA to bitch at...

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We have an African Grey parrot of indeterminate age (at least 25 years old though) and his poop is starting to stink. Bad. I know bird doo contains urea and is supposed to smell, but this is a pretty recent increase in stink. We ought to take him to a vet, I know, but does anyone have an idea of what this is about?

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
A friend of mine is puppy-sitting, and the dog got ahold of a plastic flip-top cap from a water bottle (like this blue part). My friend can't find it anywhere and assumes the dog must have chewed and consumed it, but he doesn't know how worried he should be. Should he tell the owners? Take the dog to the vet? Or just wait and hope it passes through?

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have recommendations for the best/safest kind cat collars? I mean, specific brands. I have two indoor-only cats but would like to get them collars for safety, especially since my new baby used to be a stray.

I would prefer something that can take a Collar Tag (instead of the hanging type tag), and if it comes in cute prints even better. But safety is most important of course.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009

Telemaze posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for the best/safest kind cat collars? I mean, specific brands. I have two indoor-only cats but would like to get them collars for safety, especially since my new baby used to be a stray.

I would prefer something that can take a Collar Tag (instead of the hanging type tag), and if it comes in cute prints even better. But safety is most important of course.
I got a Beastie Band for my cat (with Collar Tags) and he doesn't mind it at all. They're velcro breakaways, so they're safe if the cat should get out. Satchmo tried to get his off for about 5 minutes, was unsuccessful, and has since accepted it as part of life. They definitely have ridiculous prints; if I were ordering again I'd go with the piano keys. They're also super cheap.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

bee soup posted:

I got a Beastie Band for my cat (with Collar Tags) and he doesn't mind it at all. They're velcro breakaways, so they're safe if the cat should get out. Satchmo tried to get his off for about 5 minutes, was unsuccessful, and has since accepted it as part of life. They definitely have ridiculous prints; if I were ordering again I'd go with the piano keys. They're also super cheap.

I've used both Beastie Band and Whisker City (aka a Safe Cat/breakaway collar). Beastie Band uses velcro and is very soft, while Whisker City is a regular collar with a plastic safety clasp that pops open if the cat gets caught on something and pulls hard enough. Both stay on pretty well, but my cats have popped the Whisker City ones off more. Whisker City collars are available at Petsmart, so they're easier to find for me. Beastie Band ones are larger, so may be not appropriate for really tiny cats and kittens. Both come in nice prints, especially the Beastie Bands. Personally I've been using Whisker City more, but I'll probably go back to Beastie Band the next time I get new collars since they have more prints.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RazorBunny posted:

Could you make a collapsible or otherwise temporary cat run, and just take it inside when the cat's not using it? That way it's not a permanent structure for the HOA to bitch at...

She would most likely tear it apart or injure herself trying. The screen porch we have is much nicer than anything I could build, but she still clawed her way out of a window screen in spite of it.

My vet recommended this product that will most likely work:

http://www.amazon.com/Shake-Away-9002020-Repellent-Coyote/dp/B001ACRPMI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1251695614&sr=1-4

Shake-Away Cat Repellant. It's dried coyote piss granules, and considering she almost got eaten by coyotes in her youth, I think it will keep her out. The vet says after a couple of months of coyote-piss smell, she'll probably give up and stay away permanently. I'll have to get the new owner's permission to use it.

If that doesn't work, there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Elect...51695614&sr=1-1

Motion-detecting sprinkler. It's almost $50 though, and I'd have to give it to the neighbor.

Ofelia was completely feral and had a litter of kittens when I first saw her. It took me several months to win her trust, and by then, coyotes had gotten all of her kittens and she was pregnant again. I had her spayed for free using a grant from the Amanda Foundation. I tried to release her back into the wild, but she didn't want to go :3: I was very surprised, since I didn't think that wrestling her into a cage and having her spayed was very endearing, but apparently the cat food and the safe home was worth it.

The only way you can tell that she's not an ordinary housecat now (8 years later) is the docked ear. She can't be collared (any safety collar lasts approximately half an hour before she's broken it, so I got her a microchip). She must be free-fed; she doesn't even eat the dry food most of the time, but God help me if she can see the bottom of the bowl, I'll never hear the end of it. I have to use thick work gloves in order to get her in the crate to see the vet, and she's bitten the vet before. I use an all-plastic airline press cage so she doesn't hurt herself biting the bars; as it is, she usually gets home with bloody paws from clawing at the air holes :( And, of course, I have to let her out in the yard for a few hours every day. She mostly stays in my yard or the neighbor's yard and doesn't really roam, but again, God help me if I don't let her out for a while each day; she'll tear the house apart.

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

Chernobyl Princess posted:

We have an African Grey parrot of indeterminate age (at least 25 years old though) and his poop is starting to stink. Bad. I know bird doo contains urea and is supposed to smell, but this is a pretty recent increase in stink. We ought to take him to a vet, I know, but does anyone have an idea of what this is about?

Birds will hide their illnesses from you because they are prey animals and do so to avoid looking like easy prey. They will do so until they have no strength left. This is why indicators like altered droppings are a really big deal that need to be taken seriously. I would take him to an avian vet (http://www.aav.org/search/, do a search by your state, best is someone with "AVBP" after their name) as soon as possible.

For the same reason, if your bird actually starts acting sick, you need to rush him in. They go downhill VERY quickly at that point.

Good luck with your Grey, I hope you get him sorted!

Hearts on Fire
Sep 29, 2008

Cheers!
My boyfriend has three mice and I'm a bit worried about one of them. Lately we've noticed it making these weird noises - a sort of breathy, clicking sound constantly. It's gotten to the point where if it's quiet you can actually hear it from a few metres away.

Could this be indicative of a respiratory problem or just some weird kind of tic? It's a bit of a unique mouse - its tail has a couple of kinks it in from where the bone didn't set properly or something.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has mice who do similar things.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

I know the general consensus for "my cat lost a lot of weight, what should I do?" thing is to go to a vet, but...

I don't know how much weight she's lost, but it's considerable. However, for the first time in like three months, her and the new cat are starting to "get along". And by that, I mean, they can sit in the same room together and a foot apart, but any closer and they his and scratch a bit. But anyway, they've been chasing each other and running around a lot - is it possible for a cat to just shrug off a good number of pounds over a week or two if they're just playing a lot?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004

Cow Bell posted:

I know the general consensus for "my cat lost a lot of weight, what should I do?" thing is to go to a vet, but...

I don't know how much weight she's lost, but it's considerable. However, for the first time in like three months, her and the new cat are starting to "get along". And by that, I mean, they can sit in the same room together and a foot apart, but any closer and they his and scratch a bit. But anyway, they've been chasing each other and running around a lot - is it possible for a cat to just shrug off a good number of pounds over a week or two if they're just playing a lot?

Losing a lot of weight in a week or two isn't really normal. Think about how long it takes us to lose weight even with increased exercise. It could be you only think she's lost weight though, or she's lost way less than you think.

My vet will let me bring my animals in with no appt to weigh them so I can keep track of their weights more easily. I'd bring her in and see if you can get a weight on her. Then you can compare that to her previous weight and see whether she's really losing a lot and needs to go in.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Hearts on Fire posted:

My boyfriend has three mice and I'm a bit worried about one of them. Lately we've noticed it making these weird noises - a sort of breathy, clicking sound constantly. It's gotten to the point where if it's quiet you can actually hear it from a few metres away.

Could this be indicative of a respiratory problem or just some weird kind of tic? It's a bit of a unique mouse - its tail has a couple of kinks it in from where the bone didn't set properly or something.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has mice who do similar things.

Usually it's not good to be able to hear small rodents breathing. It is often a respiratory problem (for instance, pneumonia can be heard as a clicking or bubbling sound with each breath). Pet rodents do get respiratory problems not uncommonly, so I would get the little guy checked out by a vet. Sooner rather than latere, espeically if the noise is getting worse.

Hearts on Fire
Sep 29, 2008

Cheers!

Chaco posted:

Usually it's not good to be able to hear small rodents breathing. It is often a respiratory problem (for instance, pneumonia can be heard as a clicking or bubbling sound with each breath). Pet rodents do get respiratory problems not uncommonly, so I would get the little guy checked out by a vet. Sooner rather than latere, espeically if the noise is getting worse.

Ok, will do. Thanks :)

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Cow Bell posted:

Cats can and will loose weight with exercise, but not a good number of pounds in a week or two. My cat lost 1 pound in 8 months, and my vet became quite concerned about her health. Hopefully you have records of what she used to weigh at from your vet, and you can compare. Like Ceridwen, I can bring my cat in for a weighing at my vet whenever (as long as I phone first), at no charge. Of course, I also have a good relationship with my vet, and had a regular paid visit before I asked if I could come in monthly or so for a simple weighing.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I just got back from the vet today and found out my little french bulldog's heart murmur has progressed from a level 1 to a level 3 within the past 9 months. His prognosis isn't great, but our vet has reccomended a cardio ultrasound to help pinpoint where the problem is exactly and the best way to treat it.

My question is has anyone else had heart murmur issues and what have they done to help combat them? Has anyone gone through the myriad of treatments available and how have they affected your dog? How long did they live and what was their quality of life?

Thanks.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm taking my dog to the vet on Friday, but I figured I'd pop in here beforehand and run this by you guys anyway.

I'm not positive, but I think Archie might have some kind of food allergy. He doesn't usually clean his plate unless I'm nearby, and he obsessively chews on his paws. His itching decreased when I got him on flea treatment (I recently adopted him, so I had to get him up to speed), but he still itches fairly regularly despite that. On top of this, his stools aren't consistently firm, and it sometimes looks like he has straight up diarrhea. (For the record, I switched him from Science Diet to chicken & rice Canidae a few weeks ago.)

Does this sound like a textbook example of allergies? He's also been kind of a nightmare these past couple weeks, but I've never heard of allergies affecting a dog's behavior like that. At this point, it's really hard sorting him out: is he wild and crazy because he's a year old, because I've only had him 5 weeks and he's not settled yet, or because he feels like poo poo? Or is it some unholy combination of all three?

I expect the picture will be clearer after his appointment, but I'm kind of frustrated right now and just looking for some thoughts and personal experiences.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm scared for my dog. :(

I noticed yesterday she had swelling around her neck. I got an appointment for today and the vet said it's her lymph nodes. He said there could be a few things causing it but that he's mostly worried about lymphoma or lime disease. We don't have ticks around here and I use Advantage with tick control so I don't think it could be lime disease, which leaves cancer. :(

If it turns out to be cancer he said we'd have to go to a specialist and I really can't afford that as it will be in the thousands of dollars. We keep an emergency fund, but not that much. :(

We wont hear the results of the test until tomorrow or Friday. It's going to be a long couple of days. I'm terrified I'm going to have to lose my friend. :cry:

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009
I am looking for any advice people would be willing to give be about caring for a dog in third-world conditions. Right now I have a 5 month old mutt, and live in a very rural area (no telephone service, no electricty, no clean water), so what I can do for this dog is very limited. At the moment he is on some worm meds, and I have gotten him some tick and flea meds as well because they are an eternal problem here. His owner fed him Pedigree, which is a step up from the regular scraps, bones and more rice diet that the dogs here eat, but I'd like to do more for him because, well, he is my dog and my responsibility. I would also like to get him neutered, but I have been told that 5 months is too young, and there aren't any vets within a 3 hour ride from where I am (they use public transporation and will not let dogs on the bus). I am looking into having him neutered when SpayPanama comes to a town close by, but that is the extent to what I have been told about. A lot of the dogs here are neutered, but it is more of a chopping away on the patio situation.

I really want to do the right thing for him, but I have rare internet access and am sorry if I am repeating anything here that has already been answered eslewhere.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

heliotroph posted:

I am looking for any advice people would be willing to give be about caring for a dog in third-world conditions. Right now I have a 5 month old mutt, and live in a very rural area (no telephone service, no electricty, no clean water), so what I can do for this dog is very limited. At the moment he is on some worm meds, and I have gotten him some tick and flea meds as well because they are an eternal problem here. His owner fed him Pedigree, which is a step up from the regular scraps, bones and more rice diet that the dogs here eat, but I'd like to do more for him because, well, he is my dog and my responsibility. I would also like to get him neutered, but I have been told that 5 months is too young, and there aren't any vets within a 3 hour ride from where I am (they use public transporation and will not let dogs on the bus). I am looking into having him neutered when SpayPanama comes to a town close by, but that is the extent to what I have been told about. A lot of the dogs here are neutered, but it is more of a chopping away on the patio situation.

I really want to do the right thing for him, but I have rare internet access and am sorry if I am repeating anything here that has already been answered eslewhere.

Actually, a lot of people think that real meat and bones are better for dogs than commercial food. If such things are easier for you to obtain than commercial food then that'd work fine. There is at least one PI person that feeds raw food and there's lots of information online and in books about it (the BARF diet).

It sounds like you are doing pretty well in caring for your dog, keep it up. :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Also, as far as I know 5 months is not too young for a neuter but people with more knowledge than me should comment on that. I know that our 3 1/2 month old puppy was spayed before her previous people even had her which puts it around 8-10 weeks I think.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

heliotroph posted:

5 months is a fine age to be neutered. The standard is between 5-6 months but often in shelter situations puppies are spayed/neutered as young as 8 weeks old because it's better than adopting them out and hoping a new owner follows through. Next time SpayPanama comes by, jump on them.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

I'm taking my dog to the vet on Friday, but I figured I'd pop in here beforehand and run this by you guys anyway.

I'm not positive, but I think Archie might have some kind of food allergy. He doesn't usually clean his plate unless I'm nearby, and he obsessively chews on his paws. His itching decreased when I got him on flea treatment (I recently adopted him, so I had to get him up to speed), but he still itches fairly regularly despite that. On top of this, his stools aren't consistently firm, and it sometimes looks like he has straight up diarrhea. (For the record, I switched him from Science Diet to chicken & rice Canidae a few weeks ago.)

Does this sound like a textbook example of allergies? He's also been kind of a nightmare these past couple weeks, but I've never heard of allergies affecting a dog's behavior like that. At this point, it's really hard sorting him out: is he wild and crazy because he's a year old, because I've only had him 5 weeks and he's not settled yet, or because he feels like poo poo? Or is it some unholy combination of all three?

I expect the picture will be clearer after his appointment, but I'm kind of frustrated right now and just looking for some thoughts and personal experiences.

Paw chewing is one of the main symptoms of an allergy in dogs. Nailing down what your dog is actually allergic to can be tricky, but luckily there are a number of limited ingredient kibbles commercially available. Wellness makes "Simple Solutions" and Natural Balance has a line of LID Kibbles, including a meat-less option. I used the Natural Balance kibbles to figure out that Nellie is allergic to poultry products, including the chicken fat that many commercial foods used as their primary "fat" ingredient. She's now on the Venison kibble now, and has completely stopped licking her paws.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
OK, so I've got a new baby kitten, a male named Loki. We were all worried about how the female older cat I have would react. There was just some growling and hissing and spitting from behind the door at first. But my fiancee just walked out of the safe room after a day with him in her arms and the older cat (Freyja) didn't his or growl or puff out or anything. I fed her treats and gave her lots of love and praise.

My question is, is this a good sign? Freyja isn't very accepting she gets nervous with loud speaking and a lot of people around. She doesn't come off as friendly to stangers. I'm wondering if she's just waiting for him to touch the floor so she can go at him. He's still under quarantine till his blood tests come back so they have no physical contact. I let her sniff the carrier after we took him home and after I brought him back from the vet (I waited 2 hours just in case) to pick up his scent and she just moseys away after sniffing for a bit.

I'm rambling, I'm just nervous about the introduction and hope the fact that she didn't go crazy immediately is good or at least gives me hope that she'll get along with him after sorting out the pecking order.

I'll get pics up asap :)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Funkysauce posted:

I'm rambling, I'm just nervous about the introduction and hope the fact that she didn't go crazy immediately is good or at least gives me hope that she'll get along with him after sorting out the pecking order.

I'll get pics up asap :)

Sounds like a good sign to me. My cat Toby is totally shy of strangers and very crazy about people making sudden movements, etc., but he LOVES other cats. He's tons less clingy and happier now that he has a buddy in my roommate's cat. Your girl may be the same, so good luck!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

MoCookies posted:

Paw chewing is one of the main symptoms of an allergy in dogs. Nailing down what your dog is actually allergic to can be tricky, but luckily there are a number of limited ingredient kibbles commercially available. Wellness makes "Simple Solutions" and Natural Balance has a line of LID Kibbles, including a meat-less option. I used the Natural Balance kibbles to figure out that Nellie is allergic to poultry products, including the chicken fat that many commercial foods used as their primary "fat" ingredient. She's now on the Venison kibble now, and has completely stopped licking her paws.

Thank you so much for this! The vet gave Archie some antihistamines today to see if they helped, and they've really curbed his paw chewing so far. To that end, I think there's definitely a good chance that his itching and discomfort is some kind of food allergy. He LOVES his Natural Balance rolls that I use for treats, so I will definitely check out the kibble you suggested. Thanks again! :)

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

exactduckwoman posted:

Sounds like a good sign to me. My cat Toby is totally shy of strangers and very crazy about people making sudden movements, etc., but he LOVES other cats. He's tons less clingy and happier now that he has a buddy in my roommate's cat. Your girl may be the same, so good luck!

I hope she is more cat friendly. She hissed and scratched me this morning and my little sister today, but I think it's because a bunch of people have been coming to see the kitten and trying to keep her out of the bedroom, I think it was fear/nerves more than rage. When she tagged me my mother and cousin were over to see the kitten and moving to the bedrom while I'm trying to keep her away while they're speaking loudly. She got my sister while she had her back to the wall and the only way out was behind my sister.

Again, I just think it's been the change of atmosphere because after they left she's been playing fetch and asking for attention.

little green jewel
Oct 27, 2003

tO DIE WILL BE, uHH, aN AWFULLY BIG ADVENTURE,
I didn't think this was worth a separate thread. To start with, I live two doors down from a woman who is not only dumb enough to buy a cat from a chain store but take the word of the minimum wage counter jockey who swore the cat was fixed. She was an indoor cat until the first hairball, and now she's an outdoor cat.

Predictably, she got pregnant. Unpredictably, she squeezed through a hole in our deck and gave birth under our house. Not under the deck, under the house. I guess I assumed the owner would catch the cat and keep it indoors for the delivery, or at least put out a box or something. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a cat person.

Basically, I'm just wondering what I should do. This woman doesn't even put out food anymore, so I'm tempted to just say "gently caress it", catch mama cat and the litter, and take them all to the shelter. In my opinion, if you're not even bringing the basics like sterilization, contact, shelter, and food, you don't deserve to have a pet. Then again, it's not my cat and not really my call. Should I wait however many weeks until the kittens can leave the mother and take the litter to the shelter? Or drop off the whole family? Or crawl under my house, get the litter, fix the hole mama cat got through, and leave them on the owner's property?

tl;dr - There are kittens from a cat that is not mine mewling under my house right now. Owner is obviously not doing her loving job. Feeling morally outraged and bursting with a cranky sort of care. Dilemma springs from my wanting feral cats tearing into my trash six months down the road about as much as I want bitter "SHE DUN STOLED MA CAT" neighborhood drama.

e: ay splel gud

little green jewel fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 5, 2009

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Do all guinea pigs seize to death? I've had three die (one very sick, one had no symptoms whatsoever, and the other had no symptoms but was 5 years old anyway...) and they all seized before taking their last breath. Can't they just go peacefully :(

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
quote is not edit :(

sorry, i'm distressed

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
My 6 month old kitten is smacking his lips. If I were to imitate it, I would close my mouth, suck on my cheeks/tongue, then open my mouth and repeat. A quick google tells me some believe this is a sign of nausea. Do you good folks believe this to be true? Could it be just a weird habit?

The poor kitten, Kleng, got very ill 3 months ago when we brought him home from the rescue. He wouldn't eat ffor several days until we were able to get him to the vet. After being fixed up (with forced feedings and some antibiotics), he appears to be a normal healthy kitten (although a little dumb, I think his fasting caused a tiny bit of brain damage).

Once I saw Kleng sorta 'dry-heave.' He acted as if he would hock up a hairball or vomit, but nothing happened. This was well over a month ago. His lip smacking occurs frequently, and if it is quiet and still outside, you can easily hear it from across the room.

If he is nauseous, he shows no other signs. His appetite and energy levels are what you would expect from an rear end in a top hat teenage cat.

Any thoughts?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

little green jewel posted:

I didn't think this was worth a separate thread. To start with, I live two doors down from a woman who is not only dumb enough to buy a cat from a chain store but take the word of the minimum wage counter jockey who swore the cat was fixed. She was an indoor cat until the first hairball, and now she's an outdoor cat.

Predictably, she got pregnant. Unpredictably, she squeezed through a hole in our deck and gave birth under our house. Not under the deck, under the house. I guess I assumed the owner would catch the cat and keep it indoors for the delivery, or at least put out a box or something. Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a cat person.

Basically, I'm just wondering what I should do. This woman doesn't even put out food anymore, so I'm tempted to just say "gently caress it", catch mama cat and the litter, and take them all to the shelter. In my opinion, if you're not even bringing the basics like sterilization, contact, shelter, and food, you don't deserve to have a pet. Then again, it's not my cat and not really my call. Should I wait however many weeks until the kittens can leave the mother and take the litter to the shelter? Or drop off the whole family? Or crawl under my house, get the litter, fix the hole mama cat got through, and leave them on the owner's property?

tl;dr - There are kittens from a cat that is not mine mewling under my house right now. Owner is obviously not doing her loving job. Feeling morally outraged and bursting with a cranky sort of care. Dilemma springs from my wanting feral cats tearing into my trash six months down the road about as much as I want bitter "SHE DUN STOLED MA CAT" neighborhood drama.

e: ay splel gud

Call animal control. If she's not feeding her cat and provided it shelter and still claims it is hers, then she's neglecting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Meow Cadet posted:

If he is nauseous, he shows no other signs. His appetite and energy levels are what you would expect from an rear end in a top hat teenage cat.

Any thoughts?

That definitely sounds like nausea, but I'm leaning toward hairball. Our cat will sometimes get one caught that he can't bring up, and he eats and behaves normally, though he'll occasionally spit up a little bile. Then after a few days he'll hork up a monster hairball.

Pick him up some Petromalt, maybe? We bought some Petromalt chewy treats, and Charlie likes that a lot better than having goo smeared on his face - they seem to be working, too.