Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I have the stainless steel "full size" (bigger than the stubby, but still way smaller in all dimensions than the huuuuuuuuge stocker) Delkevic muffler on my 2nd gen and I'm really happy with it for the money. It's not as nicely constructed as a Yosh or whatever, but it's solid and sounds nice, both with and without the silencer. I've put about a thousand miles on mine and it's seen lots of rain and wet and there are no signs of rust or corrosion. I don't see why it wouldn't last for years.

For the money, you can't really go wrong with it, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Any recommendations for front/rear pads on an '03 SVS? I'm due for a set here in the next couple months. Bike sees mostly commuting duty, so something that's gentle on the rotors is a plus.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
i keep seeing pointy and curvy mentioned. Is it a year thing? If so when did it switch. I'm in the market for a used sv and i HATE the curvy looking one. I wont have the money until januaryish, but you know how it is. All the excitement of looking forward to my new bike. Keeps me from wasting money too. I like the pointy ones with the square geometric looking seats too. especially the 08 navy blue :O. Id get an 08 but the suzuki near me dosnt have any svs at all!! I went in to look at the dr650 i was interested in and asked to sit on an sv because its always been a favorite of mine and iv never actually sat on one. The guy didnt even know what it was, three employees later and i was referred to the gladius. That ugly POS

EDIT: This is found on wikipedia. I googled but didnt think to wiki. Sorry

philkop fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 27, 2009

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

philkop posted:

i keep seeing pointy and curvy mentioned. Is it a year thing? If so when did it switch. I'm in the market for a used sv and i HATE the curvy looking one. I wont have the money until januaryish, but you know how it is. All the excitement of looking forward to my new bike. Keeps me from wasting money too. I like the pointy ones with the square geometric looking seats too. especially the 08 navy blue :O. Id get an 08 but the suzuki near me dosnt have any svs at all!! I went in to look at the dr650 i was interested in and asked to sit on an sv because its always been a favorite of mine and iv never actually sat on one. The guy didnt even know what it was, three employees later and i was referred to the gladius. That ugly POS

EDIT: I abruptly left with a smug too good for this place look on my face.

2003 and up have the "pointy" frame.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Quick question. Looking to get my 2nd bike. 1st bike is a 96 Yamaha XJ600 Seca II. I've been looking at getting an SV, but I'm unsure as to what I should get. 2nd gen for sure, but not sure if I should go sv650s or sv1000s. Any suggestions for or against either?

Thanks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ari.gato posted:

Quick question. Looking to get my 2nd bike. 1st bike is a 96 Yamaha XJ600 Seca II. I've been looking at getting an SV, but I'm unsure as to what I should get. 2nd gen for sure, but not sure if I should go sv650s or sv1000s. Any suggestions for or against either?

Thanks.

I think that the SV650 is a nice balance of everything in a motorcycle. Enough power to really move you, not so much to be overwhelming, a nice upright seating position in the N model, a good spread of power, relatively light, etc.

The SV1000 is gonna have a fair bit more power but with that comes weight. Also we didn't get the N model for the SV1000 here.

I vastly prefer the N model for street use, so that puts me pretty firmly in the 650 camp.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I decided that instead of a Ninja 500, I'm gonna hunt down a SV650. I found one a hour away from me. "Garage-kept, 7,500 miles, naked 2002 yellow-colored SV, no stuntas or tipovers. Has clean undertail (removed ugly stock mud flap) and two sets of mirrors, small tinted wind screen and a grab rail."

Asking price is $3,200. Looks clean and nice from the pictures. I'm hopefully seeing it in person soon.

What should I look for when looking at an used SV to buy?

Is the price good?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

I decided that instead of a Ninja 500, I'm gonna hunt down a SV650. I found one a hour away from me. "Garage-kept, 7,500 miles, naked 2002 yellow-colored SV, no stuntas or tipovers. Has clean undertail (removed ugly stock mud flap) and two sets of mirrors, small tinted wind screen and a grab rail."

Asking price is $3,200. Looks clean and nice from the pictures. I'm hopefully seeing it in person soon.

Is the price good?

Price is a little high. I'd try to work him closer to 2500$, but anything at around 2700$ would be good. If it's really clean, 3000$ is a fine price.

Things to look for...just the usual, really. There's not really any big concern items specific to the SV. Check the chain, sprocket, tire age, and use any of those things to talk him down, if they need replacing.

tenspeed
Jun 27, 2008
I own a 2006 red SV650S. I bought her brand new for $5700 and have put 8500 miles on her so far. Right now she's in the shop getting fitted with:

Racetech cartridge emulators,
ZX-10R rear shock,
full Yoshimura exhaust system,
and a Power Commander III

I'll also be installing steel braided brake lines when I get her back this week.
She's my first bike and for the most part she's been great. I was wondering if anyone else on here has had problems with peg scraping while cornering though. The last few rides I've been on, I've peg scraped at least once every time. I'll admit it could very well be due to inexperience or poor cornering technique but I just thought I'd see if any other SV riders experience anything similar. I've also scraped my kickstand through a corner once (scary as poo poo!).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

maestro86 posted:

I own a 2006 red SV650S. I bought her brand new for $5700 and have put 8500 miles on her so far. Right now she's in the shop getting fitted with:

Racetech cartridge emulators,
ZX-10R rear shock,
full Yoshimura exhaust system,
and a Power Commander III

I'll also be installing steel braided brake lines when I get her back this week.
She's my first bike and for the most part she's been great. I was wondering if anyone else on here has had problems with peg scraping while cornering though. The last few rides I've been on, I've peg scraped at least once every time. I'll admit it could very well be due to inexperience or poor cornering technique but I just thought I'd see if any other SV riders experience anything similar. I've also scraped my kickstand through a corner once (scary as poo poo!).

Dragging hard parts on the street it usually a combination of 4 things: poor body positioning, poor line choice, not getting on maintenence throttle, and soft suspension. You're addressing the suspension already, so how do you feel on the other 3?

If you address those 3 items, you shouldn't have any problems at street speeds. For track? Better get some rearsets. You can get jack up plates as well, if you don't feel like shelling out for real rearsets, available for 60ish$ on ebay.

tenspeed
Jun 27, 2008
Well, thats the thing. I've read many threads about proper body position and choosing correct lines and have tried to apply those concepts when I ride, but in all honesty I have no idea how well I'm actually executing these techniques. I usually sit back on the seat, shift my butt to the side, and try to lean off a little when I go through a corner. It's hard for me to say if I'm doing things right without actually seeing myself though. As for lines, I usually start on the "outside" of the curve, go inside at the apex, and then exit on the outside again. I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "maintenance throttle" though. I'd really like to do a track day soon to try and improve my confidence with cornering and improve my technique.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

maestro86 posted:

Well, thats the thing. I've read many threads about proper body position and choosing correct lines and have tried to apply those concepts when I ride, but in all honesty I have no idea how well I'm actually executing these techniques. I usually sit back on the seat, shift my butt to the side, and try to lean off a little when I go through a corner. It's hard for me to say if I'm doing things right without actually seeing myself though. As for lines, I usually start on the "outside" of the curve, go inside at the apex, and then exit on the outside again. I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "maintenance throttle" though. I'd really like to do a track day soon to try and improve my confidence with cornering and improve my technique.

Purchase Twist of the Wrist 2 (not the first one), by Keith Code. You're coasting through the corners without getting on the gas, and as a result the bike is really weighing down the suspension. You need to be on the gas enough to get the bike balanced through the corners. Keith Code describes it better than I can.

Twist 2 should be available at any local major bookstore, or online.

tenspeed
Jun 27, 2008
I think I'll do that then. Thank you Sir!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

maestro86 posted:

I think I'll do that then. Thank you Sir!

No problem. There's a lot of other books out there that I'd recommend, but Twist 2 really covers maintenence throttle and why you should do it better than anyone else.

If you want more motorcycle reading, the 3 books that I typically recommend are Twist 2, Total Control by Lee Parks, and Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatch.

Just remember that sometimes you'll get conflicting information in the books. Riding techniques are kind of like arrows in a quiver. Each situation may call on a certain technique, or a combination of techniques. It's up to you to work at each one, understand it, and experiment with what works best for you at a given speed and in a given situation. And then as you improve, you'll have to do it all over again as some things stop working and other things start working.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

Is the price good?
Want my 07?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Was this a good deal, I just got an email about it and bidded on it immediatly. Won it for $37

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260470184478

Everything seen in this was included. I smashed up my bike good on a turn and bent the brake lever and tore the foot peg off.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Endless Mike posted:

Want my 07?

Where are you located? I know someone looking for an SV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Was this a good deal, I just got an email about it and bidded on it immediatly. Won it for $37

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260470184478

Everything seen in this was included. I smashed up my bike good on a turn and bent the brake lever and tore the foot peg off.

Sure, if you're looking for a 2007 SV650 rear brake set. The peg is probably slightly bent, if you're looking for functional it'll be fine. I dunno if that lever will be fixable without it cracking.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Sure, if you're looking for a 2007 SV650 rear brake set. The peg is probably slightly bent, if you're looking for functional it'll be fine. I dunno if that lever will be fixable without it cracking.

ITEM SOLD IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION NO DAMAGE

Also the brake pedal looks straight in that shot. Cool thing about SVs is parts are pretty standard across both 650s and 1000s, along with years 03-09

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

ITEM SOLD IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION NO DAMAGE

Also the brake pedal looks straight in that shot. Cool thing about SVs is parts are pretty standard across both 650s and 1000s, along with years 03-09

There's something weird about the perspective that made the smaller part of the lever look bent. If it's all straight, it's a great deal.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Could someone lecture me a bit on "GSX-R cartridge forks with machined GSX-R caps for fully adjustable suspension done by GP Suspension" versus someone who has done a GSXR front end swap? I am looking at a bike with the former. It has the regular SV forks but I guess with fancy internals? Will these forks be a bit of a let down? I only weigh 133lbs so perhaps it is enough to cope with what I'm doing. I plan to do a lot more track days and maybe....MAYBE race but that's a ways off.

Also, how might stock SV brakes with better pads and stainless lines compare to a GSXR front end swap with the whole radial caliper deal? I am gonna give em a feel when I check out the bike, but I probably won't be able to charge through a race track when the seller lets me test ride it.

I am coming off of a Ninja 250 that I've tracked more times than I'd care to, by the way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

Could someone lecture me a bit on "GSX-R cartridge forks with machined GSX-R caps for fully adjustable suspension done by GP Suspension" versus someone who has done a GSXR front end swap? I am looking at a bike with the former. It has the regular SV forks but I guess with fancy internals? Will these forks be a bit of a let down? I only weigh 133lbs so perhaps it is enough to cope with what I'm doing. I plan to do a lot more track days and maybe....MAYBE race but that's a ways off.

Also, how might stock SV brakes with better pads and stainless lines compare to a GSXR front end swap with the whole radial caliper deal? I am gonna give em a feel when I check out the bike, but I probably won't be able to charge through a race track when the seller lets me test ride it.

I am coming off of a Ninja 250 that I've tracked more times than I'd care to, by the way.

quote:

"GSX-R cartridge forks with machined GSX-R caps for fully adjustable suspension done by GP Suspension"

This is just a guess here, but it appears that he had GP suspension do some custom work to a stock set of SV outer fork legs to fit GSX-R cartridge fork internals inside them. Most likely to be able to pass production rules. That's the only thing that really makes sense, given the stuff that he lists.

It's not gonna be quite as good as a GSX-R swap, because the stock SV forks are pretty flimsy and can flex under heavy braking, but it'll be a huge improvement over the stock stuff. A non-racer wouldn't lose any significant amount of time on that setup.

Anyways, that aside, stock SV brakes are perfectly fine with stainless lines and quality pads. They're not great, but they're good. You can stack them up roughly like this: a stock SV system is average, upgraded it's good, a stock GSX-R system is good, and upgraded it's great. A brembo MC can really improve the braking on a stock system but is usually illegal in any form of production racing, so while that's the first upgrade I'd do to any braking system, sometimes it's not worthwhile if you want to go racing.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

This is just a guess here, but it appears that he had GP suspension do some custom work to a stock set of SV outer fork legs to fit GSX-R cartridge fork internals inside them. Most likely to be able to pass production rules. That's the only thing that really makes sense, given the stuff that he lists.

I know the seller used to race this bike (not sure what class). There's an exhaust system and power commander on the thing too, amongst some other less notable items. Are full GSXR fork swaps usually banned in lower racing classes, then (WSMC for instance)?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

I know the seller used to race this bike (not sure what class). There's an exhaust system and power commander on the thing too, amongst some other less notable items. Are full GSXR fork swaps usually banned in lower racing classes, then (WSMC for instance)?

Usually there's 2 classes, production and superbike/formula/modified. The proddy class will typically require all stock components with a few exceptions (exhaust, jetting/PC, rear shock, fork internals), so as long as you've got stock outer fork tubes, you can run whatever internals you like. As a result, you end up with stuff like what he's done. The modified class pretty much lets you do whatever, excluding huge overbores.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

Usually there's 2 classes, production and superbike/formula/modified. The proddy class will typically require all stock components with a few exceptions (exhaust, jetting/PC, rear shock, fork internals), so as long as you've got stock outer fork tubes, you can run whatever internals you like. As a result, you end up with stuff like what he's done. The modified class pretty much lets you do whatever, excluding huge overbores.

That is good to know. If I did go racing it would be in production or something comparable. I wouldn't want to wind up in a higher level class just because of a fancy fork swap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

That is good to know. If I did go racing it would be in production or something comparable. I wouldn't want to wind up in a higher level class just because of a fancy fork swap.

I went superbike because I like tinkering and on an SV, even a built engine won't offer a huge advantage. I've got flatslides/cams and that's all the HP I need on a stock Gen 1 engine. Besides that, the additional power and lighter weight really helps keep the gap between the SV and the 600s smaller when I'm just riding at trackdays.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

I went superbike because I like tinkering and on an SV, even a built engine won't offer a huge advantage. I've got flatslides/cams and that's all the HP I need on a stock Gen 1 engine. Besides that, the additional power and lighter weight really helps keep the gap between the SV and the 600s smaller when I'm just riding at trackdays.

I was looking at the specs of a 2005 R6 which I am also considering, and the R6 is a claimed 357 dry, versus the 2005 SV650's 363 dry. Did you lighten yours up a lot or something?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

I was looking at the specs of a 2005 R6 which I am also considering, and the R6 is a claimed 357 dry, versus the 2005 SV650's 363 dry. Did you lighten yours up a lot or something?

Christ, there's so many mods on my SV I forget half of them at any given time.

I've got:

Aluminum subframe
Aluminum fairing stay
Aluminum tank mount
Stripped electrics (just the essentials, the kill switch is also the on switch, no fuses, no left control pod)
520 kit, 15/47 (+2 on the rear from stock)
Penske shock
Brembo brakes/titanium relocator plates/SS lines
GSX-R front end (a bit lighter than the stock stuff)
Flatslides
Gen 2 intake cams/swapped gen one intakes to exhaust
No airbox/TPS/PAIR system/hoses
M4 exhaust
rear brake reservoir delete
Brembo 19x18 MC
Vortex clipons
Woodcraft rearsets w/ jack up plates

I've also got a few more mods floating around the garage, a braced swingarm, TL radiator, and some other crap that I haven't bothered to rig up yet (temp gauge, veypor gauges, blah blah blah).

The list of stuff that's come off the bike: All of the stock plastics, most of the stock undertray (just a battery box plus a bit), a good chunk of the electrical stuff, all of the lights, stock exhaust, pair valve/emissions stuff, airbox, stock subframe, plus some other stuff.

I've seen reports on gen one SVs that range from 420 pounds to 399 pounds ready to ride with a full tank of gas. I'd estimate that mine ranges from around 350-70 with a full tank of gas. The lightest ones I've ever heard of have gotten just under 300 pounds wet. Usually with custom CF 2 gallon sprint tanks.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Usually with custom CF 2 gallon sprint tanks.

Composites are pretty easy to work with, It's really not that hard.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/the-lost-foam-method-of-composite-fabrication/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Composites are pretty easy to work with, It's really not that hard.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/the-lost-foam-method-of-composite-fabrication/

Yeah, it's on the list, haha. I've got a friend who's doing some basic CF work and maybe that'll evolve into something else...we'll see. Time and money, as always.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School
Cost me a pile of cash, but the best mod I've made to my SV was to put an Ohlins fully adjustable shock in it and beef up the front fork springs to 1.0kg/mm. Handling is brilliant now and braking is much improved (due to more even weight transfer, I think).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saint Melmoth posted:

Cost me a pile of cash, but the best mod I've made to my SV was to put an Ohlins fully adjustable shock in it and beef up the front fork springs to 1.0kg/mm. Handling is brilliant now and braking is much improved (due to more even weight transfer, I think).

Probably due to your suspension actually being able to work under braking, rather than just bottoming out and forcing the tire to compensate for any bumps.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007

Z3n posted:

Probably due to your suspension actually being able to work under braking, rather than just bottoming out and forcing the tire to compensate for any bumps.

For exactly that reason. Also I'm 6'3" and 280lbs so having the suspension sprung for my weight as opposed to the mythical average Japanese guy has helped a lot. LOVE my '07 SV naked bike.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I took a look at the 2005 SV650 with fancy GSXR-cartridged forks and came away a bit undecided. For one, I wish I knew more about how an SV should sound. It sounded a bit clattery/clicky. I think the valve train was making a lot of noise at idle, although it smoothed a bit up towards 5k rpm.

The other thing that bothered me was the fork action. They felt (and I could actually hear) a roughness within the first few centimeters of travel, compressing or decompressing. I don't really think it was anything else rubbing that would generate that kind of feel in the handlebars or that kind of noise.

Lastly, the bike is a train wreck cosmetically. Low-sided on a high speed turn during a track day. The tank is pitted and has a sizeable dent, and there is surface rust on it. A foot peg was slightly broken off. None of the plastics are original, the front being slightly beat and the rear a cracked mess. It is indeed a true race/track bike. Lots of scratches elsewhere. The exhaust system is great however, and the bike is tuned to it via a power commander. There is also a penske shock. And the whole thing is set up for my weight, surprisingly.

There are about 6 actual races on it, the rest being commuting. The odo is off a few hundred because she cut the cable at one point for racing. Total mileage is around 5500. She allegedly changed the oil very very often and I could tell that the chain was in good condition, too. But it's never been serviced internally.

I somewhat think she is overvaluing the mods and mileage. These bikes last forever, correct? So 5500 versus 10000 shouldn't make much of a difference. And the number of mods are quite a bit less than some of the other machines I've seen, which, while going for about $1000 more, are newer and in much better condition. She initially put it up for $3500, but seemed to entertain $3000, although I still think that is far too much for such a beat up machine, pristine internals and good maintenance regardless.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 10, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

I took a look at the 2005 SV650 with fancy GSXR-cartridged forks and came away a bit undecided. For one, I wish I knew more about how an SV should sound. It sounded a bit clattery/clicky. I think the valve train was making a lot of noise at idle, although it smoothed a bit up towards 5k rpm.

SVs are fairly loud/clackity bikes. If it smooths out at higher speed, it's not a big deal, and hearing the valves means they're not excessively tight, which is also good.

quote:

The other thing that bothered me was the fork action. They felt (and I could actually hear) a roughness within the first few centimeters of travel, compressing or decompressing. I don't really think it was anything else rubbing that would generate that kind of feel in the handlebars or that kind of noise.

This is a problem. You should be getting no stiction that you can feel (and definitely not hear) in the forks. Could be a result of stuffing GSX-R cartridges into SV outers, I don't know. But it shouldn't be like that. Could also just need to be refreshed, but honestly, it shouldn't need it after only 6 races.

quote:

Lastly, the bike is a train wreck cosmetically. Low-sided on a high speed turn during a track day. The tank is pitted and has a sizeable dent, and there is surface rust on it. A foot peg was slightly broken off. None of the plastics are original, the front being slightly beat and the rear a cracked mess. It is indeed a true race/track bike. Lots of scratches elsewhere. The exhaust system is great however, and the bike is tuned to it via a power commander. There is also a penske shock. And the whole thing is set up for my weight, surprisingly.

That's pretty standard damage for an SV that's been down. Was it crashed before the exhaust system was put on or was the exhaust system replaced? Also, that penske is an 800$ shock new, so that's kind of a bonus.

quote:

There are about 6 actual races on it, the rest being commuting. The odo is off a few hundred because she cut the cable at one point for racing. Total mileage is around 5500. She allegedly changed the oil very very often and I could tell that the chain was in good condition, too. But it's never been serviced internally.

Why would you cut the cable? Just tape the speedo. :sigh: Anyways, that's sort of odd. Frequent oil changes are good, but with only 5500 miles on it, it's not like that's gonna make a huge difference in the life of the engine.

quote:

I somewhat think she is overvaluing the mods and mileage. These bikes last forever, correct? So 5500 versus 10000 shouldn't make much of a difference. And the number of mods are quite a bit less than some of the other machines I've seen, which, while going for about $1000 more, are newer and in much better condition. She initially put it up for $3500, but seemed to entertain $3000, although I still think that is far too much for such a beat up machine, pristine internals and good maintenance regardless.

I agree. Also, 5500 miles with 6 races, trackdays, and a relatively damaging crash is different from 5500 miles of newb putting around. I'd personally approach it like this: Given your market, would it be a good deal if you brought it back up to pristine cosmetic condition and dumped the 200-400$ to fix the forks, depending on what they need? It seems like mid 2000s is more reasonable for a bike that's been raced, crashed, and has some suspension issues. I'd pass unless you can get her a decent amount into the 2000$ range.

You can find heavily modded trackbikes for 3k-4k all day long. The downside with those is usually title issues or it being impossible to get them back to street trim, but they will be way more set up than this bike.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007

French Canadian posted:

This would bother the hell out of me, probably to the extent that I would walk away.

Z3n posted:

Could be a result of stuffing GSX-R cartridges into SV outers, I don't know. But it shouldn't be like that. Could also just need to be refreshed, but honestly, it shouldn't need it after only 6 races.
What he said. I'm really suspicious of GSX-R cartridged SV forks anyway. Much better (and, unless you're using a rather used GSX-R part, pretty money-neutral) would be to put one of the Racetech gold valve kits into the SV fork they were designed for.

French Canadian posted:

But it's never been serviced internally.
This bike should have had at least 1 major service post break-in at 600 miles. It is due for another one in 500 miles. IMO you can probably do better for the money.

French Canadian posted:

I somewhat think she is overvaluing the mods and mileage.
The only mods that are value adds are the penske shock and the PC. Everything else is a wash. You can get a similar '05 with similar miles sans shock and power commander for $3500-4000 a lot of places--one that hasn't been wrecked and mucked about.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saint Melmoth posted:

This bike should have had at least 1 major service post break-in at 600 miles. It is due for another one in 500 miles. IMO you can probably do better for the money.

Not that I'm disagreeing with anything you say, just tossing it out there that I'm 90% sure the 600 mile service is essentially and oil change and a check of the bike to make sure nothing is leaking/falling off. Don't have my repair manual in front of me.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007

Z3n posted:

Not that I'm disagreeing with anything you say, just tossing it out there that I'm 90% sure the 600 mile service is essentially and oil change and a check of the bike to make sure nothing is leaking/falling off. Don't have my repair manual in front of me.

I believe it was all fluids rather than just oil, but I don't recall either. I may be misrepresenting the 6k mile service as major too. I'll check the book and update this post.

My bad--the 600mi service is change oil and filter and inspect everything. 6000mi service is standard.

I still think that's a lot of money for a busted up bike.

Saint Melmoth fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 10, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saint Melmoth posted:

I believe it was all fluids rather than just oil, but I don't recall either. I may be misrepresenting the 6k mile service as major too. I'll check the book and update this post.

My bad--the 600mi service is change oil and filter and inspect everything. 6000mi service is standard.

I still think that's a lot of money for a busted up bike.

Yeah, first valve check is 6k miles. I agree that it's overpriced.

My general rule of thumb for buying crashed/cosmetically blown bikes is simple:

Look at the cost of bringing the bike back up to absolutely mint condition. If that's not under the cost of a mint bike by at least 500$, it's not worth buying. My time is worth something, after all. In order to have that happen with this bike, I think you'd be looking at spending around 2500$ on it. Maybe even a bit less, considering the questionable stuff with the forks, and the need for an upcoming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Still trying to unload the Ohlins shock I got that fits second gens:

Ohlins rear shock for 2nd Gen SV650

SU606, piggyback reservoir. Should fit any SV 2003 and up.

http://www.superbikeitalia.com/shop/details.asp?id=1320&iCat=70&iSubOne=1776

http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Motorcycle/Products/Sport/SU-606/

New in box, never used. Wound up with the wrong shock, I have a first gen

$800 + shipping SF Bay Area residents can arrange local pickup. Shipping weight is ~10 lbs, coming from zip code 94609, plug that and your zip code into UPS website to estimate shipping cost.

email me at thermald (at) gmail.com

Click here for the full 900x675 image.

• Locked thread