Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Inspired by this thread, and stuck at home with a head cold, I just watched this movie for about the 50th time - and like others, was amazed to catch things that I'd never noticed before (Egon signing the charges to Venkman at the hotel, for example). And even though I had noticed Venkman clipping the top of the gate when jumping over it before, what I never noticed was the very brief "oh poo poo" look on Murray's face when he realizes how close he came to landing on his face :lol:

One question - how come they're not attacked by a giant J. Edgar Hoover at the end? Clearly Venkman had to think of him to use it as an example.

And have we really managed to go 12 13 pages without Boomerjinks bringing up his godforsaken Subaru?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

snortpocket posted:

(Egon signing the charges to Venkman at the hotel, for example).

Just the deadpan professional way Murray rattles off that list of charges and how they're "running a special this week" on one of them... absolutely perfect.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

snortpocket posted:

And have we really managed to go 12 13 pages without Boomerjinks bringing up his godforsaken Subaru?

He's welcome to come here and correct me but I've noticed that the majority of the hardcore Ghostbusters fans are only in it to appropriate the costumes and "universe" for their own ends. 99% of the OP would be riiight over their heads, which is why it's posted here and not elsewhere.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

:whatup:

I laughed so hard seeing that line under your avatar just now.

I don't know if it's possible to confirm this, but it bugs me sometimes - when they're sliming the statue of liberty from the inside in GB2, Ray says "beautiful!" with a cigar clenched between his teeth, and it always strikes me as a Hannibal Smith impersonation. I wonder if it was meant as such.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stayne Falls posted:

Same reason Ray and Venkman looked nothing like Akroyd and Murray. The actors wouldn't sell their likenesses to the animators.
This is kind of odd considering Akroyd wrote for the series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LividLiquid posted:

This is kind of odd considering Akroyd wrote for the series.

Akroyd never wrote for the series, though he and Ramis got creator credits for every episode.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

[Egon and Janine] sort of get together in the book. Speaking of which, I'll put up another chapter or two tonight.

Ooh, if that's in there, then I'll read these. I always had a crush on Egon (I'd let him bust . . . well, write it yourself) and was completely :3: about Egon and Janine. It looked to me like there was some reciprocity on Egon's end by the end of the movie. I was also really disapointed in the second movie that Janine seemed to have moved on to . . . Louis Tully? :psyduck:

On that note, I think Annie Potts deserves credit for being a funny actor as well. Check out her perfectly-calibrated, completely withering "No"s at the beginning of this clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VTfSAK_Dvo&feature=related

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Generally you don't see that kind of behaviour in a major appliance."

I really can't think of a more quotable movie than this one.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
"We GOT ONE!"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aatrek posted:

"We GOT ONE!"

"I'm gonna take out some petty cash and take her to dinner. We don't want to lose her."
"Unfortunately, this delicious feast (points at the Chinese food boxes) represents the last of the petty cash."
"... Slow down. Chew your food."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

"I'm gonna take out some petty cash and take her to dinner. We don't want to lose her."
"Unfortunately, this delicious feast (points at the Chinese food boxes) represents the last of the petty cash."

Um, this magnificent feast here :colbert:

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 1, 2009

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

snortpocket posted:

One question - how come they're not attacked by a giant J. Edgar Hoover at the end? Clearly Venkman had to think of him to use it as an example.

Gozer probably just delayed slightly in announcing the choice until (s)he actually turned into the Marshmallow Man. Even though Peter is explaining the choice process to the Ghostbusters, he's really explaining it to the audience, and by the time he's done, Ray had already understood and chosen Mr. Stay Puft.

The Cameo posted:

I just realized right now how perfect it is that Ray is the one telling Venkman this. They're eating a poo poo meal, broke, in a dead business venture thought up by Venkman, who just wants to chase tail, and Ray is now hopelessly in debt because of it.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 1, 2009

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Ooh, if that's in there, then I'll read these. I always had a crush on Egon (I'd let him bust . . . well, write it yourself) and was completely :3: about Egon and Janine. It looked to me like there was some reciprocity on Egon's end by the end of the movie. I was also really disapointed in the second movie that Janine seemed to have moved on to . . . Louis Tully? :psyduck:
Yet in Extreme Ghostbusters, she's back to Egon again.

Janine makes a sexy bug queen.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 1, 2009

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Ema Nymton posted:

Wow, that was . . . kind of hosed up. (Who are we kidding, Egon's probably into that sort of poo poo anyway. He sleeps with slime and collects spores, molds, and fungus, after all.) She was also macking on him in the original cartoon series, right?

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

I liked Extreme Ghostbusters, but it didn't hold up like the original cartoon. The equipment lacked the style of the older stuff and the whole "extreme" attitude was pretty pointless. Nothing more extreme than 2 ethnics, a goth, and a cripple (also Egon's ponytail).

I did like the episode when the FBI had the Ghostbusters arrested as terrorists while a gremlin sabotaged all of their equipment.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
The other day I was watching my eight year old niece when she came up to me and asked in a sweet little girl voice, "Uncle Awesome Andy, are you a god?"
I was busy making sandwiches for lunch so I just shook my head and said "Nope."
She put her arms in the air and growled in her best Gozer voice, "Then DIE!"

Awesome Andy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 1, 2009

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
quote not edit, sorry

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Awesome Andy posted:

The other day I was watching my eight year old niece when she came up to me and asked in a sweet little girl voice, "Uncle Awesome Andy, are you a god?"

Best little kid ever.

:3:

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
For anyone in NYC that is interested, the Landmark Sunshine Cinemas at East Houston and 1st Ave is having three midnight showings of the move this weekend on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Always wanted to see the movie at a theater IN NYC. Count me in! :dance:

Theater:
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/NewYork/NewYork_frameset.htm

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Paul Allen posted:

For anyone in NYC that is interested, the Landmark Sunshine Cinemas at East Houston and 1st Ave is having three midnight showings of the move this weekend on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Always wanted to see the movie at a theater IN NYC. Count me in! :dance:

Theater:
http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/NewYork/NewYork_frameset.htm

Haha, wow, I was right about to re-watch this on DVD thanks to this thread, guess I might as well hold off a few days!

It seems like every summer someone's always screening it SOMEWHERE in NYC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just bought (and watched) the Blu-ray and I'm interested too. This movie simply does not get old.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

snortpocket posted:

They had to choose. It wasn't supposed to be "first thing you think of". But Venkman was playing it safe. Ray chose the form for Gozer, because his brain automatically thought "this wouldn't be too bad" and decided that was the best form.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Awesome Andy posted:

Your niece is the best niece.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Deadpool posted:

Akroyd never wrote for the series, though he and Ramis got creator credits for every episode.
Ah. I saw it on his IMDB page years ago and didn't notice the (Characters) parenthetical.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Cross posting my progress from the DIY thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3179739&pagenumber=3#post365280890

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Started inviting some friends to go see that midnight screening mentioned earlier, when I had a thought. I wonder if the theater will be full of annoying fanboy jerks reciting the lines along with the movie. I mean, since the movie is so quotable, they'd probably be talking over the WHOLE MOVIE. Think this movie runs a higher-than-normal chance of attracting that kind of viewer? :(

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Awesome Andy posted:

Her parents need to write a book called "how to raise awesome children." It could save the future of the country.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Started inviting some friends to go see that midnight screening mentioned earlier, when I had a thought. I wonder if the theater will be full of annoying fanboy jerks reciting the lines along with the movie. I mean, since the movie is so quotable, they'd probably be talking over the WHOLE MOVIE. Think this movie runs a higher-than-normal chance of attracting that kind of viewer? :(
Speaking as a man who runs midnight movies, yes. This is going to happen.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
While at the showing of Army of Darkness last night at the Phoenixville Colonial, I learned that they're playing Ghostbusters at 2:00pm on Saturday, October 21st. This theater is AWESOME. (They also are playing Beetlejuice on the 17th. It's listed under "Young Audiences". Hah!)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Action Andy posted:

whilst looking for more info on the above insanity I found these:

Those look like the work of Space Coyote who is great at turning other things into Simpsons-style art.

I just got the game today from Gamefly and it looks like they changed it back for it as in the beginning you can listen to the Ghostbusters' answering machine and there's a guy who met her at a seminar for people who have a crush on their boss.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

another awesome little kid story.

I was playing the Game today (I rented it yesterday and am already three quarters of the way finished...and I rarely ever beat games. Yeah, I love Ghostbusters) while my young cousin was over. He saw me playing and asked if he could watch. I am dealing with a rather annoying boss, and Egon kept getting in my way, so I went..."drat It, Egon"

My cousin perks up and stares at me with a grin and then goes "Doh...Ray...EGON!"

My cousin is badass.

muscles like this? posted:

I just got the game today from Gamefly and it looks like they changed it back for it as in the beginning you can listen to the Ghostbusters' answering machine and there's a guy who met her at a seminar for people who have a crush on their boss.

I noticed that too. I think Harold and Dan realized making Tully a love intrest for her was, while sort of cute, not as good as her and Egon. They sort of started moving it back in the animated series, and in the video game it is back, as noted by the machine.

also Janine is sort of really cute in the game...I guess i just have a thing for her anyway, but...still.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 6, 2009

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Went to that NYC midnight screening tonight and am happy to report that the audience was enthusiastic but totally respectful. No line-reciters in attendance. There was one smartass who threw marshmallows everywhere when the Stay-Puft man exploded, but that was actually kind of funny. So anyone who had the same reservations I did, just go tomorrow night, it's great. What a perfect movie. I was afraid that I'd seen it too many times before for the jokes to be fresh, but even knowing exactly when it was coming, "Dogs and cats, living together—mass hysteria!" cracked me the hell up. It's also really one of the few pitch-perfect AND geographically accurate NYC movies. And it's nice to hear from people's posts that kids are still watching it!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

also Janine is sort of really cute in the game...I guess i just have a thing for her anyway, but...still.

Apropos of nothing, I just looked up Annie Potts on IMDB to see if she's in the game (she is) and wow, she's gotta be the person from the cast who's absolutely aged the best. I think she looks at least as good now as she did in '84. Anyway, you guys have sold me, I have to play this game now.

EDIT: :3:

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 6, 2009

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Went to that NYC midnight screening tonight and am happy to report that the audience was enthusiastic but totally respectful. No line-reciters in attendance. There was one smartass who threw marshmallows everywhere when the Stay-Puft man exploded, but that was actually kind of funny. So anyone who had the same reservations I did, just go tomorrow night, it's great.

I was there too, it was great. I loved all the cheering when Rick Moranis showed up. What was with all the people coming and going in the last half hour or so, though?

A few things I never noticed: when they bust that ghost in Chinatown and get the chickens, Peter thanks the Chinese man with the Japanese word "arigato;" when they shoot the maid's cart, she tries to put out the fire with her spray bottle in the background; and when Walter Peck is in Venkman's office, Janine's head is peeking around the corner for the whole scene.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For anyone who remembers Mathnet from Square One Tv, if you listen to him, you can easily picture George Frankley collecting spores, molds, and fungus.

For reference...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrLjLeGUjio&feature=related

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For anyone who remembers Mathnet from Square One Tv, if you listen to him, you can easily picture George Frankley collecting spores, molds, and fungus.

For reference...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrLjLeGUjio&feature=related

Oh my gawwwwd, Mathnet! I don't know, though, but I remember George as not all that bright. Monday was seriously one of my childhood heroes, though. I wanted to grow up and be all tough and cute wearing a chick-necktie just like her.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh my gawwwwd, Mathnet! I don't know, though, but I remember George as not all that bright. Monday was seriously one of my childhood heroes, though. I wanted to grow up and be all tough and cute wearing a chick-necktie just like her.

"George, I'm reminded of the time you calculated how large a hole into your head you could drill without killing yourself."
"That definitely would've worked had you not stopped me."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I re-watched this last night because I was in the mood after beating the video game (something I rarely do. Busting, indeed, makes you feel good) and I noticed a few things I never had before.

1. Growing up I always wondered why Egon or Ray didn't go with Dana to her apartment over Peter's request, because they would have found stuff. It occurred to me last night, that had that happened, the movie would have ended much faster. Egon would have able to smell that evil poo poo, let alone check with his EPK.

2. I always wondered why the Keymaster had no Key to give the Gatekeeper when I was a kid. Not sure why this never clicked but...They Key is his junk. I wonder if Dana ever figured out they had crazy possessed sex, and how she feels about that.

The movie is still one of my favorites. I am cautiously optimistic at all the talk of Ghostbusters 3. I'd love to see the guys back in costume and kicking ghost rear end...but if they don't find a way to get Bill Murray to NOT mumble his lines like he's half-asleep (see: The Video Game) it'll fall apart, even with their "Old Busters training New Busters" concept. Like I said, cautiously optimistic.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Went to that NYC midnight screening tonight and am happy to report that the audience was enthusiastic but totally respectful.

penismightier posted:

I was there too, it was great.

I went to the Sunday night showing and people cheered in all the right places as well. ESPECIALLY when Winston showed up and when Ernie Hudson's name came up during the closing credits. I didn't think I'd be so excited to see the Ghostbusters in full regailia when they enter the Sedgewick Hotel, but I was cheering. Great fun. Anyone who has the chance should see it on the big screen with a crowd of nerds, no matter how many times you've seen it at home; it was definitely meant to be seen in a theater.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

1. Growing up I always wondered why Egon or Ray didn't go with Dana to her apartment over Peter's request, because they would have found stuff. It occurred to me last night, that had that happened, the movie would have ended much faster. Egon would have able to smell that evil poo poo, let alone check with his EPK.

Because Peter wanted to hit that! And, at that point, they probably just thought she was crazy or something. Remember she was their first customer and there wasn't a huge onslaught of ghosts yet, so I'm sure they were still kinda reserved about the whole thing. If Dana had come in, say, three weeks later they probably would have taken it much more seriously.

Also,
PKE not EPK :science:

PKE = Psycho Kinetic Energy
EPK = Electronic Press Kit

It's science!!

2. I always wondered why the Keymaster had no Key to give the Gatekeeper when I was a kid. Not sure why this never clicked but...They Key is his junk. I wonder if Dana ever figured out they had crazy possessed sex, and how she feels about that.

There's actually a deleted scene after the climax on the roof where Louis says, "Dana...did we-?" and Dana says, "No Louis, no."

EDIT: Scene linked for awkwardness:
http://www.ecto-web.org/~spookcentral/gb1_deleted11.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

Also,
PKE not EPK :science:

PKE = Psycho Kinetic Energy
EPK = Electronic Press Kit

It's science!!

drat it. how did I get PKE wrong? I am a bad fan.

• Locked thread