Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

madlilnerd posted:

Why do I always forget that stocking stitch is poo poo for scarves because it makes them roll up?!

If you really love stockinette, you can still do a scarf. Just add a border of garter on either side, just 3 to 5 stitches wide will help with the curl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Or you can do k1p1 rib, which looks like stockinette on both sides and doesn't roll.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

madlilnerd posted:

:swoon: What pattern is this? It's gorgeous!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Bad Mitten posted:

If you really love stockinette, you can still do a scarf. Just add a border of garter on either side, just 3 to 5 stitches wide will help with the curl.

Or knit it twice as wide and fold it together. Sometimes I just knitting spazz and forget all that though. I don't know why.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

:swoon: What pattern is this? It's gorgeous!

I wanted to try some easy colour work so I looked into using slipped stitches. The whole scarf uses slipped stitches so in each row you're only knitting with one colour. This created some really nice texture which unfortunately got hosed when I viciously attacked the acrylic scarf with an iron in a vague attempt to flatten it. The whole thing is worked with two rows of grey and then two rows of black, slipping any grey stitches you want to show up and vice versa.

I started out with a brickwork pattern which goes like this:
[work over a multiple of 6, minus 1 e.g 23]
G= Grey B= Black
Repeat the instruction inside the stars
Row 1-G Knit
Row 2-G Purl
Row 3-B K3 *Sl1 K5*
Row 4-B *P5 Sl1* P3
Rows 5&6 are the same are 1 and 2
Row 7-B K6 *Sl1 K5*
Row 8-B *P5 Sl1* P6

The other patterns on the scarf are just straight rows with slipped stitches or a variation of the brickwork, apart from the squares, which can be found at:
http://www.smart-knit-crocheting.com/mosaic-knitting.html

I hope this helps :)

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I finished a pair of Monkey socks! :) Here they are chillin' on my ghetto sock blockers.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Those socks look great! Very neatly knit. :)

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Thanks! I think I am becoming a sock knitting addict...

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Longpig posted:

Thanks! I think I am becoming a sock knitting addict...

I can think of far, far, far worse addictions. And more expensive ones, to boot.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

madlilnerd posted:

Or knit it twice as wide and fold it together. Sometimes I just knitting spazz and forget all that though. I don't know why.

I wanted to try some easy colour work so I looked into using slipped stitches. The whole scarf uses slipped stitches so in each row you're only knitting with one colour. This created some really nice texture which unfortunately got hosed when I viciously attacked the acrylic scarf with an iron in a vague attempt to flatten it. The whole thing is worked with two rows of grey and then two rows of black, slipping any grey stitches you want to show up and vice versa.

I started out with a brickwork pattern which goes like this:
[work over a multiple of 6, minus 1 e.g 23]
G= Grey B= Black
Repeat the instruction inside the stars
Row 1-G Knit
Row 2-G Purl
Row 3-B K3 *Sl1 K5*
Row 4-B *P5 Sl1* P3
Rows 5&6 are the same are 1 and 2
Row 7-B K6 *Sl1 K5*
Row 8-B *P5 Sl1* P6

The other patterns on the scarf are just straight rows with slipped stitches or a variation of the brickwork, apart from the squares, which can be found at:
http://www.smart-knit-crocheting.com/mosaic-knitting.html

I hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for writing that out, I fall more in love with this pattern the more I look at it. I'd never even heard of this technique before, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Thank you so much for writing that out, I fall more in love with this pattern the more I look at it. I'd never even heard of this technique before, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

No worries, I look forward to seeing what you do with it! It's super easy to do because you don't have to swap strands of yarns every few stitches like you do with fair isle. I get so frustrated doing colour work when I have to stop every few rows and untangle everything.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
It is eight thousand degrees right now and I don't even have air conditioning and I'm knitting 100% wool socks. I'm even wearing the finished one on one foot because I always do that while I knit the mate.

This is a special kind of insanity.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I don't know if I missed it or not, but I just remembered about Freecycle, and hopefully just snagged myself a bag of misc. yarn for free. Just waiting to hear back from the lady. If anyone else out there is as dirt poor as I am right now, can't hurt to take a look, or maybe give out some yarn you got as gifts that you just hate to other folks who could use it :)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

zamiel posted:

I don't know if I missed it or not, but I just remembered about Freecycle, and hopefully just snagged myself a bag of misc. yarn for free. Just waiting to hear back from the lady. If anyone else out there is as dirt poor as I am right now, can't hurt to take a look, or maybe give out some yarn you got as gifts that you just hate to other folks who could use it :)

Another good way to get lots of yarn for pretty cheap is to buy a decent sweater from goodwill and rip it up. Just make sure the seams are stitched up, not cut and sewn.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I'm having a lot of trouble getting gauge on this particular project, and I'd really like some advice.

The gauge is supposed to be "10.5 sts/15 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch [with size 13 needles] UNWASHED AND UNFELTED", but I'm getting closer to 15 sts to 4 inches even after going up to size 17 needles (the largest I have) and knitting loosely. I get about the same gauge if I knit it straight or in the round, and the first part of the pattern calls for two strands of worsted yarn held together so that's how I've been making the gauge swatches. Is there anything else I can try with what I have, or do I have to go out and buy bigger needles? Here's a link to the pattern, in case I am missing something in there.

It's also my first time felting anything, so if you have any beginner's tips for that I'd appreciate it.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

Z Is Overrated posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting gauge on this particular project, and I'd really like some advice.

The gauge is supposed to be "10.5 sts/15 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch [with size 13 needles] UNWASHED AND UNFELTED", but I'm getting closer to 15 sts to 4 inches even after going up to size 17 needles (the largest I have) and knitting loosely. I get about the same gauge if I knit it straight or in the round, and the first part of the pattern calls for two strands of worsted yarn held together so that's how I've been making the gauge swatches. Is there anything else I can try with what I have, or do I have to go out and buy bigger needles? Here's a link to the pattern, in case I am missing something in there.

It's also my first time felting anything, so if you have any beginner's tips for that I'd appreciate it.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you should try using smaller needles, like a size 11 or 10.5. As for felting, be sure to keep an eye on it if you are machine felting. (I find hand-felting a bitch, so I usually machine felt.)

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Z Is Overrated posted:

I hate matching my gauge to that called for in the pattern (if I'm wildly off, that is)... so I usually do it the other way (which requires more work, possibly): figure out my gauge and then recalculate the pattern (increasing or decreasing the number of stitches) to fit my gauge. I did this with a bunch of hats, for example. The pattern called for something like 80 stitches, but my hats were about three inches too small (in circumference) and my gauge was around 5.5 sts/in so I bumped up to about 100 stitches, give or take. Worked out well. Granted, you have to do more math when it comes to decreases or whatnot, and that can be a bitch depending on the pattern.

Edit: Those slippers are frickin' adorable, btw! I am now jealous and want a pair.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

RubySprinkles posted:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you should try using smaller needles, like a size 11 or 10.5. As for felting, be sure to keep an eye on it if you are machine felting. (I find hand-felting a bitch, so I usually machine felt.)

Right now the gauge she's getting is 15 stitches=4 inches - that's more stitches to the inch. She wants less stitches to the inch, so bigger stitches, bigger needles.

That said, 10.5 stitches/4 inches is less than 3 stitches to the inch - that's REALLY big to me. I can't imagine getting that with two strands of worsted. Most big bulky yarns are 3 or 4 to the inch. Maybe it's a mistake?

Felted patterns are really forgiving anyway, I'd just go with it. Maybe look it up on ravelry and see if anyone else mentions this same issue.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Right now the gauge she's getting is 15 stitches=4 inches - that's more stitches to the inch. She wants less stitches to the inch, so bigger stitches, bigger needles.

Hell, that's right. I don't know what's wrong with me as of late. Need to start knitting more I guess...

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
Yarn question.

I started a pair of socks with Noro Silk Garden Sock yesterday. I've heard about vegetable matter being in Noro, which is no bigs, but the variations in thickness are making it an absolute chore to work with. It varies from laceweight to practically worsted. Is this the norm with Noro sock yarns? The colorway (292) is gorgeous but I might steer clear in the future if it's always going to be this frustrating to work with.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

justFaye posted:

I hate matching my gauge to that called for in the pattern (if I'm wildly off, that is)... so I usually do it the other way (which requires more work, possibly): figure out my gauge and then recalculate the pattern (increasing or decreasing the number of stitches) to fit my gauge. I did this with a bunch of hats, for example. The pattern called for something like 80 stitches, but my hats were about three inches too small (in circumference) and my gauge was around 5.5 sts/in so I bumped up to about 100 stitches, give or take. Worked out well. Granted, you have to do more math when it comes to decreases or whatnot, and that can be a bitch depending on the pattern.

Edit: Those slippers are frickin' adorable, btw! I am now jealous and want a pair.

I don't mind recalculating patterns like this, it's just that I'm always worried about running out of yarn and then having to get yarn from a different dye lot whenever I do. But now that I think about it, any weird color changes that come from adding yarn would be covered up by the "hair", so I think I'm gonna do this.

That said, 10.5 stitches/4 inches is less than 3 stitches to the inch - that's REALLY big to me. I can't imagine getting that with two strands of worsted. Most big bulky yarns are 3 or 4 to the inch. Maybe it's a mistake?

Felted patterns are really forgiving anyway, I'd just go with it. Maybe look it up on ravelry and see if anyone else mentions this same issue.

I did look it up on Ravelry before, but I didn't see anybody mention having any problems with it, so I just assumed I was making the mistake here. It's good to hear that it should be forgiving though.

Thanks a lot, I'll start it again tomorrow.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Z Is Overrated posted:

I don't mind recalculating patterns like this, it's just that I'm always worried about running out of yarn and then having to get yarn from a different dye lot whenever I do. But now that I think about it, any weird color changes that come from adding yarn would be covered up by the "hair", so I think I'm gonna do this.

I did look it up on Ravelry before, but I didn't see anybody mention having any problems with it, so I just assumed I was making the mistake here. It's good to hear that it should be forgiving though.

Thanks a lot, I'll start it again tomorrow.

I found one person who had the same problem you did. I'm really surprised though, I can't imagine getting less than three stitches to the inch with two strands of worsted. Maybe I just knit tight (I don't think so though? I usually have to go down a needle size or so).

Also thanks a lot for making me want to knit those too. Goddamn adorable.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

justFaye posted:

Also thanks a lot for making me want to knit those too. Goddamn adorable.

Make them, we can be slipper buddies!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

hollaback grandma posted:

Yarn question.

I started a pair of socks with Noro Silk Garden Sock yesterday. I've heard about vegetable matter being in Noro, which is no bigs, but the variations in thickness are making it an absolute chore to work with. It varies from laceweight to practically worsted. Is this the norm with Noro sock yarns? The colorway (292) is gorgeous but I might steer clear in the future if it's always going to be this frustrating to work with.

I recently made a pair of socks out of Noro Kureyon Sock which was the same deal, so I'm guessing yes. I honestly didn't give a second thought to the variations in thickness and completely ignored it, paying no attention to what difference it made in gauge whatsoever, but it worked itself out pretty well in the end. Maybe I was just lucky, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Z Is Overrated posted:

Make them, we can be slipper buddies!

But I have seven hundred projects on the needles right now!

(Ok, this has never stopped me before...)

Hmm. Planning a trip to WEBS soon anyway...

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Genpei Turtle posted:

I recently made a pair of socks out of Noro Kureyon Sock which was the same deal, so I'm guessing yes. I honestly didn't give a second thought to the variations in thickness and completely ignored it, paying no attention to what difference it made in gauge whatsoever, but it worked itself out pretty well in the end. Maybe I was just lucky, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The more I'm knitting with it the more I'm realizing that no matter how fiddly it is, I'll HAVE to use it again sometime. The colors are irresistible.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I am having a bad knitting week.

First I spent hours casting on for two socks at a time - the Dancing Sock from New Pathways for Sock knitters - which has a really tricky cast on - and knit on them for ages after doing all the math to make them work with that yarn because my gauge was different AND I needed a different size for my foot and then tonight I realized the two balls of yarn I bought are different. I thought they were just slightly different because of handpainted yarn, but one has green in it and the other totally, completely DOESN'T. They're different. Or one is wildly wrong. I bought that yarn like a year ago and wound it into balls in December and never freaking noticed this?

THEN I got so mad about that I immediately put the socks away and cast on for another sock and then I knit for a bit and then I took the dog out, and when we came back I stupidly left him downstairs while I ran upstairs to change my clothes and when I got back all but 3 of the dpns were missing. What the HELL could he have done with them? He couldn't have eaten them, that makes no sense. They're gone!

ARGH.

Thank GOD I bought a bottle of wine on the way home today.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
So, I'm usually an avid crocheter, but last night I learned something new in my dreams. I had gone to sleep right after looking at this thread, and I dreamed that I knitted a scarf fair isle that had little sugar skulls and a vine and flower trellis on the bottom.
It was loving awesome.
So I got up this morning and picked up my needles, and winged out a pretty decent little fair isle square with my initials on it! I think its one of the best looking things I've knitting, not including the poo poo ton of hats I've done in garter stitch.
I just wanted to thank the people in this thread for inspiring my dreams to teach me to knit better. I would post a picture but I'm a lazy rear end and don't wanna go get my camera.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Couple days ago I finally cashed in my large container of change and headed to my LYS for the first time! My poor boyfriend had to deal with me going around oohing and ahhing and feeling up yarn for a whole hour. Especially the cashmere, oh my. Had such a hard time choosing what to get in my budget for my next project, but settled on 4 hanks of Cascade, 2 grey and 2 stripped pink. Planning to do that Harry Potter scarf posted a page back.

Also picked up some ring stitch markers and a Susan Bates knit check tool. And got to watch a few ladies sitting around the table working on projects and harassing the owner about her 4 bubble hat while she made the hanks into center pull balls for me on the winder.

But first I have to finish this washcloth I started and frogged a few times as I was figuring out what I was doing wrong. Then I want to try to get my knitting looser before I go doing something that large. Just hope I can get it finished before the cold weather sets in considering how slow I've been going lately.

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.

hollaback grandma posted:

The more I'm knitting with it the more I'm realizing that no matter how fiddly it is, I'll HAVE to use it again sometime. The colors are irresistible.

I've only used their Worsted Weight, but I'd suggest you try Wisdom Yarns' Poems Sock instead. No, they don't have the exact same colors, but it's like Noro without some of its less desirable traits. It's machine washable, softer (Noro always felt itchy to me, even Silk Garden) and without some of the more extreme idiosyncrasies of spinning that plague Noro.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
So, after that dream I had about Fair Isle Knitting, I realized I could make something really cool with it!

Here is my chart for the alphabet, drew it out last night, and then gave in to exhaustion.

And this is what came of it. I started working on it around 6pm this evening, and just finished about 15 minutes ago, its midnight.

I feel as though this is the most bad-rear end thing I can do in knitting, and I want to make the whole alphabet into a scarf! I have the feeling I'll need some pretty serious circulars though, not sure if I can do it like that, I had some tension problems here, any tips?

Also, can you block acrylic yarn? I've never blocked anything in my life, can someone give me a general idea on how to get started?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Why don't you knit the letters sideways, instead of right-side up? That way, you could still use the straights.

Here's a picture, because it's late and my head wouldn't let me think of a way to explain this coherently.

You'd have to redraw the chart, though.

As for blocking acrylic, this page does a good job of showing how you would do it, but I'd be a little afraid of letting an iron get too close to it.

Gently Used Coat fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 23, 2009

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
Should I wait to block it until I have knitted out the back and sewn it on? Or should I knit out the back, block it, and then sew it together? I have honestly never used the steam setting on my iron, so I don't know how well it works.

I pondered knitting it that way, but I wondered if it would give the letters a wonky edge, I'll give it a try later though, going to be busy for today.

CureMinorWounds fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 23, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

CureMinorWounds posted:

Should I wait to block it until I have knitted out the back and sewn it on? Or should I knit out the back, block it, and then sew it together? I have honestly never used the steam setting on my iron, so I don't know how well it works.

I pondered knitting it that way, but I wondered if it would give the letters a wonky edge, I'll give it a try later though, going to be busy for today.

The usual advice is to block the pieces separately to the same size - you might use a mat with grid lines on it to help with that - and then sew them together. That way you're sure they're exactly the same size. And it's easier to sew things together that have been blocked already, they're not so unwieldy and curly and stuff.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

Z Is Overrated posted:

Why don't you knit the letters sideways, instead of right-side up? That way, you could still use the straights.

Here's a picture, because it's late and my head wouldn't let me think of a way to explain this coherently.

You'd have to redraw the chart, though.

As for blocking acrylic, this page does a good job of showing how you would do it, but I'd be a little afraid of letting an iron get too close to it.

I think I'm going to do that, but the other way, so the letters are up and down instead of sideways. I started charting it out on my big graph paper, its going to take me a while.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Just finished this yesterday.

It's "Miralda's Triangular Shawl" from Knitted Lace of Estonia. It normally knits up into a typical triangle shawl shape, but you cast on from the bottom edge of both sides, (normally the bind off edge on a regular triangle shawl, and as you knit the pattern, it closes up the "V" to form a triangle. I re-wrote it to knit in the round from the outside edge to the middle. Into a square. My niece is going to have the best baby blanket ever!

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009
I've always been a bit scared of real knitting, wearable socks and scarves and such. Think I might have to give it a go now after finding a cute li'l dolly I made when I was a kid :)

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img75/9976/dsc00076w.jpg

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Amykinz posted:

Purdy shawl

That's gorgeous! I love the pattern and the color. One of these days I'll move beyond scarves and accomplish something like that.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ma_NiC posted:

One of these days I'll move beyond scarves and accomplish something like that.
Thank you!

But,
really, it's not that bad. This is all yarn overs, and K2tog and SSK, and such. the pattern changes often enough that it didn't get me bored. Scarves drive me nuts, the same thing FOREVER. I can't finish 'em.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I finished one today!

I'll have to take a better pic tomorrow; the light's not good enough for me to be bothered getting my actual camera out right now. But it's done!

Now I get to start another one for my dad's Christmas present. And a merino Irish hiking scarf for Mom. And a ribbed alpaca/silk one for my sister. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Gorgeous scarf Sex Hobbit! I loooooove the look of the Noro scarf, but don't think I could handle that much k1,p1 ribbing, unless I gave it long breaks inbetween. :) But is that all the scarf four balls of Silk Garden makes? It seems so much larger in the pics I've seen... granted, they're all gorgeous, but that's a wee scarf for $40 (or more!).