Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.
So here's my very first song! I've been working on this piece all week and it finally came together tonight.

I don't think it's anything special, but mostly I just wanted to put this here since this thread helped me a lot in getting started, and it's been so much fun finally getting down to business~

I'd be so thankful for critiques and criticisms. As a first try I know it won't be the prettiest thing you've ever heard, but hopefully you can get through it without getting a headache or something aweful like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

goatmouth posted:

So here's my very first song! I've been working on this piece all week and it finally came together tonight.

http://tindeck.com/listen/clfs

For a first track, this is pretty good. :)

I noticed your bass doesn't have much bass in it. Have you high-pass filtered it? If so, you might wanna lower the cutoff, transpose it down or add an unfiltered suboscillator or something like that.

There doesn't seem to be much high-end either- have you considered adding some hi-hats?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

ZeldaLeft - this is what you're after:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Dicky B posted:

ZeldaLeft - this is what you're after:

You can also select the Main Automation pattern (or any pattern, really, as long as you remember which ones have the automation), then hit record, and it'll record all your knob tweaks as the track plays.

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

Computer Jones posted:

For a first track, this is pretty good. :)

I noticed your bass doesn't have much bass in it. Have you high-pass filtered it? If so, you might wanna lower the cutoff, transpose it down or add an unfiltered suboscillator or something like that.

There doesn't seem to be much high-end either- have you considered adding some hi-hats?

Thanks for the kind words and the great advice.

I made those changes, and increasing the low end on the bass made a world of difference! It's amazing. I'm not so sure about the high hats, but I just don't think I know how to use them well. I think my pattern is just too simple so it makes the song sound a little worse. Any opinions? I tried mixing up the high hats but then I thought it put too much emphasis on that little detail. Feh~I'm not sure what to do about it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Been working on some lower tempo/8-bit-ish tracks lately.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 31, 2009

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Thanks! Here's a better version.

I cleared up the bass a little bit.

I like your track, it's very Aphex Twin.

This is really cool (only drawback is that some parts loop too much without variations I guess). Could you send me the mp3?

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Hey goatmouth, in response to your question about combinators, a better way than using splitters in my opinion is to just drop another mixer in as the first device in the combinator, then hook up the other devices to that so you can mix the individual devices, but play them all with one note by creating a track for the combinator (as you wanted!)

ANYWAY! Listen to this bros:

Just started some relaxable drum n bass, lemme know what you think

Blinn fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 2, 2009

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Just finsihed up these two:

http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/not-her-anyway
Think the beat's fun in this one.

http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/absence-stranger-song-dub
I tried really hard to make this danceable too, but I don't think I managed.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Computer Jones posted:

You can also select the Main Automation pattern (or any pattern, really, as long as you remember which ones have the automation), then hit record, and it'll record all your knob tweaks as the track plays.
also, you can automate in the piano roll which is a godsend sometimes

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

Blinn posted:

Hey goatmouth, in response to your question about combinators, a better way than using splitters in my opinion is to just drop another mixer in as the first device in the combinator, then hook up the other devices to that so you can mix the individual devices, but play them all with one note by creating a track for the combinator (as you wanted!)

ANYWAY! Listen to this bros:

Just started some relaxable drum n bass, lemme know what you think

Thanks, that does sound like a better option so you can work with each mixer line individually.

I liked your tune's melody a lottt. My one nitpick is that at least on my crappy speakers the snare hits very loudly(and the kick to a lesser degree). Maybe turn down the percussion so the tune stays relaxing? I like it a lot though!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
That snare IS really really loud. Distractingly so.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
A track I've been working on. Tips/suggestions appreciated etc.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Okay, I posted some pages ago saying about keyboards and midi controllers, and thanks to everyone who replied. I've tried a few things with my current set up, and it's time to invest in a decent midi controller with plenty of controls, and an audio interface. The yahama shs I have isn't cutting it, and I don't have any real way of connecting into the mixer.

So, what would people recommend for a decent midi controller? I'm looking at about £200, in the used department as well. The only one that I've been impressed by, and bear in mind that I have no knowledge of how good midi controllers can be, is the Axiom 61. It has a lot of keys, they are weighted, and the controls on it seem like more than anyone could ask for. Anyone able to give me some recommendations? What are the flat buttons used for, sequencers? Is this simply overboard, is there a cheaper alternative to something like this?

I need an audio interface as well, and I am completely lost as to which one to buy. From what I've read, it's advisable to get an audio interface over a soundcard due to cables and the quality of the device. I'm using Vista on a pretty powerful laptop, and I'll be using Cubase and Reason. I'm not sure about my budget on this, as I don't know what exactly I need from an audio interface. I'm playing synths in a metal band, and I would be connecting into a mixer.

Other than that, what hard synths would people recommend? All I want is decent choirs and subtle sounds which I can customise, so I can pull off things like Fear Factory - Drones and Strapping Young Lad - Wrong Side.

Thanks for any help, I'm a bass player as well and synths are certainly a lot more confusing to get into!

Mr.Tophat fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 4, 2009

LowFatCannibal
Nov 23, 2007

by The Finn

< latest

I really need to learn about :

-Good EQing/mastering
-How to "fill" the track
-How to make drums that dont sound awful
etc

I usually don't make d&b, but I wanted to try something different. This is about 3 days of evening toying.

Everything is sequenced, only a MIDI keyboard as hardware.

I would kill for advice. :(

LowFatCannibal fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 4, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
study hard, dont give up

this will take years.

All those things you mention are simply things that come with experience.

shoot me some form of IM contact at kai at phear dot com and I'll push you in the right direction. Hard to do with a forumpost.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New track!

http://soundcloud.com/kevinrothi/expansion-2

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Don't know why I did this, but I know someone who'll probably play it v:)v

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

mezzir posted:

I like your track.

LowFatCannibal
Nov 23, 2007

by The Finn

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New track!

http://soundcloud.com/kevinrothi/expansion-2

Needs a better snare!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Mr. Tophat: Axiom is fine, not overkill - especially not in a band. The square, flat buttons on the right are drumpads. They send MIDI notes, just like the keyboard. You could use them to trigger sound effects if you split the keyboard - i.e. use your DAW to reroute the highest or lowest notes to not play an instrument but a sampler with effects. It depends on your sequencing software. If the Axiom can be set up to have the keyboard play on channel 1 and the drumpads on 2, even better. Don't know if that is possible.

Choosing an audio interface - well, you already have two facts to work with. Your budget and your laptop which means USB or Firewire. How many inputs do you need - is anyone with a guitar going to plug it in or are you going to sample the singer so (s)he can sing counterpoint? How many outputs do you need? Since you mention the band 4 outputs are probably good - 2 for the mixer an 2 for your own monitors though any dirt cheap mixer - Behringer 1002fx - has dual outputs for main and control room.

As for hardware synths check out if you can score one of the lower end Korg modules - 05RW or stuff. Compact and with a nice array of chords, organs and leads.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

Okay, I posted some pages ago saying about keyboards and midi controllers, and thanks to everyone who replied. I've tried a few things with my current set up, and it's time to invest in a decent midi controller with plenty of controls, and an audio interface. The yahama shs I have isn't cutting it, and I don't have any real way of connecting into the mixer.

So, what would people recommend for a decent midi controller? I'm looking at about £200, in the used department as well. The only one that I've been impressed by, and bear in mind that I have no knowledge of how good midi controllers can be, is the Axiom 61. It has a lot of keys, they are weighted, and the controls on it seem like more than anyone could ask for. Anyone able to give me some recommendations? What are the flat buttons used for, sequencers? Is this simply overboard, is there a cheaper alternative to something like this?

I need an audio interface as well, and I am completely lost as to which one to buy. From what I've read, it's advisable to get an audio interface over a soundcard due to cables and the quality of the device. I'm using Vista on a pretty powerful laptop, and I'll be using Cubase and Reason. I'm not sure about my budget on this, as I don't know what exactly I need from an audio interface. I'm playing synths in a metal band, and I would be connecting into a mixer.

Other than that, what hard synths would people recommend? All I want is decent choirs and subtle sounds which I can customise, so I can pull off things like Fear Factory - Drones and Strapping Young Lad - Wrong Side.

Thanks for any help, I'm a bass player as well and synths are certainly a lot more confusing to get into!

axiom keys are about as far from weighted as you can get. not that it matters to much for synths, but i thought id point that out.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Yeah, semi-weighted is even stretching it. The fact that they look like piano keys (straight) instead of regular synth keys (hollow) doesn't mean much.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Yoozer posted:

Yeah, semi-weighted is even stretching it. The fact that they look like piano keys (straight) instead of regular synth keys (hollow) doesn't mean much.

Yeah I went to the website when I read his post. I was like cheapest hammer action ever. Then I saw semi-weighted. Its synth keys with end caps.

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

Mr.Tophat posted:

So, what would people recommend for a decent midi controller? I'm looking at about £200, in the used department as well.

I almost got the Axiom but the knobs are "zippery" and aren't smooth when you turn them. I went with the EMU X-Board 61 which was cheaper and has a great feeling keybed. No sliders or trigger pads though. :\

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

pelswick posted:

I almost got the Axiom but the knobs are "zippery" and aren't smooth when you turn them. I went with the EMU X-Board 61 which was cheaper and has a great feeling keybed. No sliders or trigger pads though. :\

I have the x-board 61 as well, and it's been great for me so far. I can't speak to its longevity but it's been fun all summer. I don't miss the trigger pads or sliders *yet* but I'm still a beginner. Get it cheap and it's great bang for your buck.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't know if they still make them but I have an Edirol PCR and it has excellent knobs. It has a bunch of tiny drum pads that suck for playing drums but are great for triggering ableton clips. And it has a xfader so you can use it for djing with traktor if you want.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't know if they still make them but I have an Edirol PCR and it has excellent knobs. It has a bunch of tiny drum pads that suck for playing drums but are great for triggering ableton clips. And it has a xfader so you can use it for djing with traktor if you want.
Yeah I've got the Edirol PCR-300 and it's dope as hell for Traktor once i spent some time tweaking my layout. I put the FX Wet/Dry on the Y axis of the joystick and Parameter 3 on the X axis and throw the LFO or Delay on with it during breakdowns. Sick.

I almost bought an Axiom but I hated the clicky knobs and I'm really glad I didn't because the Edirol is pretty much perfect for my needs.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

more pop remix dickery

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

mezzir posted:

more pop remix dickery

Sounds really good, but I found that the kick not coming in after the first buildup is really confusing. Specially if you leave that one-shot kick in there. I'd either take out that single kick and empty out the first verse (hi-passing the gently caress out of everything until the kick finally comes in) or I'd just bring in the kick right after the buildup. It's more obvious that way but sometimes obvious works better on the dancefloor.

Sounds fantastic otherwise, though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've been producing drum and bass and related genres for about 12 years now, on and off. I'm just now getting back into it after about a five-year hiatus from dnb. here's something I slapped together over the weekend. You'll smell lots of neurofunk and atmospheric in my tracks. It's longer than Vietnam because I focus on DJ-friendly material.

Apps: Renoise 2.0, couple of VSTi's.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 7, 2009

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

I've been producing drum and bass and related genres for about 12 years now, on and off. I'm just now getting back into it after about a five-year hiatus from dnb. here's something I slapped together over the weekend. You'll smell lots of neurofunk and atmospheric in my tracks. It's longer than Vietnam because I focus on DJ-friendly material.

Apps: Renoise 2.0, couple of VSTi's.

This was pretty good, but if I could make a single suggestion, I'd say get rid of the FaLiLV samples. That movie's been sampled to death for a decade now and I cringe whenever someone does it again anyway.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I may. It sounds "cool", but to be honest I didn't spend enough time finding some good vocal stuff to throw on top. Appreciate the comment.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

mezzir posted:

whats the base beat/song to that? Its in a snowboard video and I need to know?

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

RizieN posted:

whats the base beat/song to that? Its in a snowboard video and I need to know?

M83 - We Own the Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzge5vY72hE

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Tokit posted:

M83 - We Own the Sky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzge5vY72hE

Plus a bit of m83 - can't stop in there as well, but we own the sky's the main one, yeah.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
just finished workin on this remix. let me know what you guys think.

oredun fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 8, 2009

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Okay, pitched up the snare and made it quieter, added some more drums. Be aware there's still a big hole in this song where I'm gonna play some nice reverby clean guitar and that most of these other instruments will just be taking a back seat.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Can anyone tell me if they'd dance to this? Samples a Chopin Interlude for the intro. Needs arrangement fixups over-all, but I like it.

This is more of a techno (?) 2-step thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
Hi guys: I want to use low pitched vocal samples, kind of the ones that sound in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy2FGsMTTCU (At 4.47)

Or in this track (it's all over the track saying "Let's get deeper" etc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEyN6hYJJ-E

The thing is that, when I repitch vocal samples, they sound like monster growlings, slow and unnatural, instead of deep and groovy like those ones.

Thanks in advance.

PS: btw Yoozer, your tips about white noise are much appreciatted, thanks!

• Locked thread