Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aussie Crawl posted:

That'd totally be worth it if the medal was actually done in metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of Disc merch, is the game Thud! actually good?

A Disc-based card game could be hilarious fun. Something like a cross between Magic and Illuminatus!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Aussie Crawl posted:

On the one hand these look kick arse (Anhk Morpork Watch badge emblem for those without magic zoom eyes) but on the other hand with shipping its close to $100 Australian... I can't work out if i want it badly enough or not.

This is the kind of nerdy stuff that i can get behind, Nerd-joke shirts and stuff like that make me cringe, but the brass emblem looks great against the charcoal background and to people who don't read the books it just looks like a cool emblem while pratchett fans can have a little smile about it and go on with their day

That's pretty awesome. But 77 USD?

I like that sort of "in universe" stuff. Like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

precision posted:

Speaking of Disc merch, is the game Thud! actually good?

A Disc-based card game could be hilarious fun. Something like a cross between Magic and Illuminatus!

Not quite that, but there are rules out there for Cripple Mr. Onion.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I read "Maskerade" as my first intro to Terry Pratchett, and while it was a quick read, it wasn't anything I'd read again.

Are there better out there? It had a few parts I laughed at, but it wasn't quite the "laughing until I cry" I imagined it would be. More just mild amusement.

The story itself was quickly forgettable, and kind of annoying. I literally didn't give a drat if the characters lived or died. Is his writing mostly about the jokes or is there some plot tension too?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So I read "Maskerade" as my first intro to Terry Pratchett, and while it was a quick read, it wasn't anything I'd read again.

Are there better out there? It had a few parts I laughed at, but it wasn't quite the "laughing until I cry" I imagined it would be. More just mild amusement.

The story itself was quickly forgettable, and kind of annoying. I literally didn't give a drat if the characters lived or died. Is his writing mostly about the jokes or is there some plot tension too?

Maskerade is one of my least favorites (which is to say I like it but just not as much as most Discworld); obviously the whole thing is a direct parody of Phantom of the Opera, and I imagine might be more enjoyable if you actually like the original material. If you want to read one with the same characters that is better (in my opinion), read Lords and Ladies, the one that comes directly before it in the series. If you just want to read the best of Pratchett, pick up a copy of Small Gods; it is one of the first chronologically, is standalone, and is probably the best book Pratchett has written.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maskerade is a really tough sell as an intro to Pratchett. I loved it, but most of my love for it was based on already being familiar with the characters and universe of it.

Definitely, absolutely give Small Gods a try. It's a very intelligent and reasonably objective commentary on religion. It also has jokes in.

I am really getting impatient for Unseen Academicals, even though the premise of it seems like the worst premise for a Disc book in quite some time.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Maskerade is one of my least favorites (which is to say I like it but just not as much as most Discworld); obviously the whole thing is a direct parody of Phantom of the Opera, and I imagine might be more enjoyable if you actually like the original material.

Or if you really, really hate it. I first read Maskerade about 10 years ago, while I was working in the box office of a theatre where Phantom of the Opera was having a 4 month run. I despised the play with a burning hatred that glowed in the night, and I really enjoyed the book. I tried reading it again a few months ago, and I didn't even finish it.

I personally think that the Watch books, starting with Guards! Guards!, are a good place to start.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Possible good news? Not suggesting that Terry has the disease for any particular reason but at the end of the article it is suggested there is a possibility the disease might be reversible. Lots of maybe's but well any step forward is still progress. Is it too late or not though, that's the question. I mean the guy has to retire sometime but it'd be nice to think he retires when he chooses to and then live the rest of his days at least in happiness.

From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/04/2676540.htm?section=justin

Fatty foods linked to Alzheimer's

Posted 59 minutes ago
Updated 24 minutes ago
MRI scans of a brain

Researchers found a specific protein in the brain could increase the risk of Alzheimer's.

Researchers at Curtin University in Western Australia say they are a step closer to finding a way to slow or prevent Alzheimer's disease.

A new study has found that foods high in saturated fats damage the membrane that regulates what is allowed into the brain.

The university's John Mamo says stopping deposits of the protein amyloid from forming is the key to slowing the disease.

"If we can understand the mechanisms behind how diet influences risk for Alzheimer's disease then it becomes possible for us to think of what type of intervention strategy we might have," he said.

Professor Mamo says it could also be possible to reverse it.

"This isn't just simply about providing prevention opportunities that are available to us but maybe we can take it one step further," he said.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Moggity posted:

:science:

Sadly, this kind of research takes decades to come to fruition.

What Pterry really needs is some good ol' headology. He just needs to convince his brain that it's fine.

:smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Small Gods is so good that Pratchett gets happy fanmail from people from pretty much every religious and nonreligious persuasion. It's got strong characters, a good plot, and lots of interesting ideas. If you only ever read one Discworld book, it should probably be Small Gods.

(Though reading Small Gods has, in my experience, the effect of causing a person to read more Discworld books.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Small Gods is so good that Pratchett gets happy fanmail from people from pretty much every religious and nonreligious persuasion. It's got strong characters, a good plot, and lots of interesting ideas. If you only ever read one Discworld book, it should probably be Small Gods.

(Though reading Small Gods has, in my experience, the effect of causing a person to read more Discworld books.)

Its the best intro book because its the most self contained. The only thing you wouldn't get is why the Librarian shows up at a certain point in the story.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Going Postal is another good starter book. The only major character from earlier books is Vetinari and he is introduced very well. It gives a good view about how things work on the Disc, and all the characters are very fleshed out. I think it's the best Discworld book to date.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Konstantin posted:

Going Postal is another good starter book. The only major character from earlier books is Vetinari and he is introduced very well. It gives a good view about how things work on the Disc, and all the characters are very fleshed out. I think it's the best Discworld book to date.

Absolutely seconded. Making Money didn't really live up to it, though.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Absolutely seconded. Making Money didn't really live up to it, though.

Agreed, the idea was good, but the execution left a lot to be desired. The way he describes the currency makes it difficult to understand for Americans who probably don't know what the hell half those terms even mean. I had to look them up on Wikipedia and even then I wasn't sure exactly how the different kinds of money related to each other. Also, the whole golem storyline could have been cut out altogether, I felt it distracted from the main plot too much and the resolution was tacked on at the end.

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm glad Small Gods was the first Pratchett book I read. I picked it up purely by chance in the library, and after that I had to read all the rest.

Moggity posted:

The university's John Mamo says stopping deposits of the protein amyloid from forming is the key to slowing the disease.
Robert Jordan died from amyloid deposits in the heart. :tinfoil:

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I wish I could remember what or who made me start reading Terry Pratchett long ago because I wish I could thank it. He's the author I look forward to the most and the one that I reread most frequently.

My battered copy of Small Gods has been making the rounds to people I know for quite some time. The other one I usually give people is Thief of Time, which is also fairly standalone and the subject matter being satirized is pretty universal to people in my generation (i.e. ones who have seen the Karate Kid.) It's my second favorite book after Small Gods. Third is reading all of the books about the Night Watch. :)

I also gave my younger cousin all of the Wee Free Men books. He thought they were funny and now says "Crivens" to me quite frequently.

I've been picking up ones that I know I didn't like much during the first read-through (Eric, Sourcery, Maskerade, Moving Pictures) and while I still know why I didn't like them the first time, the fact that I haven't read them in so many years means that they're still making me laugh. Quite an impressive skill he has.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sophia posted:

I wish I could remember what or who made me start reading Terry Pratchett

I started reading Pratchett because I saw The Light Fantastic in a K-Mart a few months after it was published and for some fated reason, bought it. Reading it before CoM is one of only three times I read the books out of order; the other two being not reading Equal Rites until I was well into the series (I don't remember why; I think I just couldn't find it) and not reading Eric until long after it was written because I didn't realize it was (barely) more than a short story, based on seeing the illustrated version which I really didn't want to pay for.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

creamyhorror posted:

I'm glad Small Gods was the first Pratchett book I read. I picked it up purely by chance in the library, and after that I had to read all the rest.

I started with Men at Arms, which wasn't too bad of a start either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

I started with Men at Arms, which wasn't too bad of a start either.

I started with Night Watch, which was.

Ulstan
Apr 29, 2008

LICENSED SARAH PALIN WHITE KNIGHT

MikeJF posted:

I started with Night Watch, which was.

I started with Guards, Guards, which I thought was absolutely awesome and hooked me on his books.

I think I then read Light Fantastic and Color of Magic, which didn't impress me very much.

The rest of the Guards series, and Going Postal, I consider to be rock solid and excellent material.

I liked Small Gods, but I didn't think it was the best one ever. Seeing the high opinion many of you have for it makes me want to re-read and see what I missed. I personally would pick Guards, Guards or Going Postal as books to introduce people to Pratchett.

I wouldn't use any of the books in the witch arc.

Ulstan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 10, 2009

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America
I like Small Gods because it's conceptual in a very focused way, unlike some of the more plot-oriented outings in the series. The idea of gods growing and dying based on followers lies in every strand of the book. It was an absurdly attractive description of the rise and fall of religions to my young mind.

For some reason, unlike with you guys, the Rincewind/magic/witchery books appeal more to me than the Watch ones. Maybe I just like my heroes with fancy and goofy powers :v:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

creamyhorror posted:

Maybe I just like my heroes with fancy and goofy powers :v:

Vimes has fancy and goofy powers. For example, he can say "Come in, Fred" before Fred knocks on his office door. He wields the magic of dark sarcasm. For god's sake, he has the ability to tell his way around the city just by feeling the ground with his feet. If that's not a fancy and goofy power, then I don't know what is.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Rincewind books have always been disappointing to me - the only two I really like are Lost Continent and Interesting Times. I do, however, enjoy the other wizards far too much. Archancellor / Dean / Bursar / Senior Wrangler / Chair of Indefinite Studies tangents never fail to slay me.

The witches I love, though. Usually they come with a nice Shakespearean satire which is always a winner for me, and Granny and Nanny are fabulous characters. Granny has my favorite speech of any book in the book about Vampyres (I can't remember the name) when she lectures the Omnian priest on what belief means.

Edit: Going Postal isn't the best introductory book simply because he started writing in chapters in that book, which is really different from most of his other books (certainly all of his other good ones). I think it would be weird to read that one and then the other ones and be like "wait, where did all of the chapters go?" Though maybe I'm the only one who is distracted by such things.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 10, 2009

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Vimes has fancy and goofy powers. For example, he can say "Come in, Fred" before Fred knocks on his office door. He wields the magic of dark sarcasm. For god's sake, he has the ability to tell his way around the city just by feeling the ground with his feet. If that's not a fancy and goofy power, then I don't know what is.

And Detritus too!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

precision posted:

I started reading Pratchett because I saw The Light Fantastic in a K-Mart a few months after it was published and for some fated reason, bought it. Reading it before CoM is one of only three times I read the books out of order...

I read TLF before TCoM as well! When I was 10. In 1991.

God, I'm old.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Dead Alice posted:

And Detritus too!

Detritus gets smarter when it's colder, and wields a siege bow. Angua is a werewolf. Carrot's got krisma. Fancy and goofy powers all around!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I started out with Sourcery on the way home from my school's German Exchange, rapidly followed by Equal Rites (which I retain a significant soft spot for so LAY OFF IT). Wasn't addicted until I got Men At Arms for Christmas a 18 months later.

I think new readers are best off starting with Mort or Small Gods since Mort doesn't reach too deeply into the pool of regular story-leading characters apart from Death or Rincewind's cameo, and Small Gods is a genuine stand-alone novel. Guards Guards could also be a worthwhile starting point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

creamyhorror posted:

For some reason, unlike with you guys, the Rincewind/magic/witchery books appeal more to me than the Watch ones. Maybe I just like my heroes with fancy and goofy powers

Actually I'm with you on that. I've never really understood why fans of the Watch books sometimes talk as if they're obviously/unanimously better. The Witch and Lipwig books are my favourites, and I've also never understood all the hate for Equal Rites.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Guards! Guards! is a phenomenal place to start reading, and I generally hate fantasy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glasnost toyboy posted:

Guards! Guards! is a phenomenal place to start reading, and I generally hate fantasy.

You probably like the Disc books because they're not really fantasy.

Has anyone linked this yet?

http://www.ansible.co.uk/misc/tpspeech.html

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

precision posted:

You probably like the Disc books because they're not really fantasy.

I like the Disc books because they're funny and intelligent enough to overcome my general suspicion of anything to do with dragons and magic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glasnost toyboy posted:

I like the Disc books because they're funny and intelligent enough to overcome my general suspicion of anything to do with dragons and magic.

Exactly. Setting =/= Genre. The Disc books, at least after the first few, are pure satire, not fantasy. I share your distaste for fantasy; the only "fantasy" novels I've read in the past 14 years are the works of Michael Swanwick, who I think redefines the genre even more radically than Pratchett.[1]

[1]: OK, I've kept reading the Wheel of Time books, but that's just because I liked the first few when I was a teenager and I simply cannot resist finishing a series of any sort until I get some loving answers.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aussie Crawl posted:

Too bad the Post Office one doesn't have the logo on it, despite it being used on the website. The text that is on the Post Office bag instead is about as subtle as a brick to the face.

Anyway, I've read through most of this thread over the past months, and while I'm trying to read as much of the Discworld books as possible in a logical order, my library has a really scattered collection, and that is already after searching the provincial catalogue :(

Right now I'm trying to track down Witches Abroad, which only exists in the library collection in a trilogy book together with Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters (which I've already read) and it's either unavailable, or it's over two weeks overdue.

Read so far:

Color of Magic
Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Wyrd Sisters
Pyramids
Going Postal
Making Money

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 13, 2009

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Might be a good chance to repost the link to the reader's guide:
http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/

This mostly just groups the stories chronologically by main-story focus, but there's plenty of crossover characters and cameos throughout. There isn't a way to go too wrong, since most of the books stand alone plotwise with the important background details regularly reintroduced. It doesn't address his non-Disc books though.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Another way to do it is just to read them in published order, since it seems to me that published order and chronological order are exactly the same. However, this means not reading each series in a row, but that's not necessarily a bad thing; it might be better to jump back and forth along the different storylines so that it's always fresh. The bad part about this is that someone new to Terry Pratchett ends up reading a few of the worse ones first (in my opinion), and might not get hooked like they should be. But then again, a bad Pratchett book is still so much better than pretty much every other book that it's probably OK.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yaffle posted:

Except that in feet of clay there are constant references to his food and a description of his food tasters and I believe that Dragon king of arms says that arsenic in the candles wouldn't work against a Vampire and it does against Vetinari.

Just to briefly resurrect this, the arsenic doesn't work against Vetinari, he's faking. There's a bit where he lights the poison candles for a brief moment, then cuts off most of it, making it look like it's been burnt down.

Of course, he probably isn't a vampire because let's face it, it's less cool if he's supernatural.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend
Arsenic works against Vetinari, but plots don't work against Vetinari's brain.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Penguingo posted:

Just to briefly resurrect this, the arsenic doesn't work against Vetinari, he's faking. There's a bit where he lights the poison candles for a brief moment, then cuts off most of it, making it look like it's been burnt down.

Of course, he probably isn't a vampire because let's face it, it's less cool if he's supernatural.

No, he's definitely ill at first; he faints a couple times & in a rare example of a Vetinari-inner-monologue, he states he feels dreadful.

He figured it out long before Vimes did, but he didn't know at first. Otherwise he would never have let the maid take the candle ends home to her family (where it kills the granny and the baby). Vetinari is a bastard, but he wouldn't have let innocent folk be killed off for no reason (if only because it leads to two less productive workers for the city)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would hardly call Vetinari a "bastard". He's just ruthlessly efficient.