Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks to the games recommendation thread, I got myself a copy of Arcanum. I've heard that the official patch doesn't actually fix all that much so I'm downloading the unofficial one but I've checked out the character creation in the meantime and all these backgrounds are confusing. If there any particular one that will really gently caress up my chances for the rest of the game? I tend to have a habit of picking those ones if left to my own devices. I'm also playing a female since that seems to actually matter in this game as far as stats go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

Thanks to the games recommendation thread, I got myself a copy of Arcanum. I've heard that the official patch doesn't actually fix all that much so I'm downloading the unofficial one but I've checked out the character creation in the meantime and all these backgrounds are confusing. If there any particular one that will really gently caress up my chances for the rest of the game? I tend to have a habit of picking those ones if left to my own devices. I'm also playing a female since that seems to actually matter in this game as far as stats go.

Regardless of character type, don't skimp out on intelligence. Your initial reaction modifier has some effect on quests but intelligence actually determines the better dialog options. For combat oriented characters, dexterity is infinitely better than than strength even if you plan on specializing in melee weapons. Finally, magic is extremely overpowered. If you want to breeze through the game then build a mage type character.

Other than that character creation is rather flexible and unless you try to be a jack-of-all-trades you can't really build yourself into a corner.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can cheese through most merchants with a decent Barter skill so that you can empty their inventory by trading cheap goods for slightly more expensive ones.

Killing people in some towns could make recruitable NPC's angry. One will try to kill you after you recruit him and then harm some citizen. Tycho will attack you during every map change.

Reading books on higher difficulty (lower stats) will give you better returns when you switch to lower difficulty (higher stats).

Difficulty? Books giving different returns? I've played through Fallout a few times and don't really understand this. Can you explain it to me?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

al-azad posted:

You still need to pick a lock and grab the plastic explosives and several enemies are in your way while doing so. You're going to get attacked no matter what and you'll likely get hit several times. Finally there's that guard at the end of the temple you have to fight unless you have a high speech and at least 6 intelligence to get the option to convince him not to fight.

The temple is completely retarded and even the developers said so. Download the mod and get rid of it.

Or just suffer through it? It takes 30 minutes tops and is pretty easy. It sucks, but it's over fast and you can get on with the rest of the game after.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Maybe I'm just terrible at Fallout (I gave up on it because of the interface), but that temple went like this for me, playing a character specializing in guns:

Encounter scorpion; stab at scorpion with stick; miss; run away with remaining action points so scorpion can't hit me; scorpion comes up next to me but lacks AP to attack; stab at scorpion with stick; miss; repeat until I hit it 2-3 times with my 30% chance to hit.

If that's how the temple is supposed to be played I wouldn't mind a mod to skip it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nickoten posted:

Difficulty? Books giving different returns? I've played through Fallout a few times and don't really understand this. Can you explain it to me?
Books give diminishing returns the higher your skills are and hard difficulty lowers your skills by a large enough amount, so you can eke out several more points. Set it back down to easy and you have increased your skills further than what would have been one or two extra points at 80% or so.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Faerie Fortune posted:

If there any particular one that will really gently caress up my chances for the rest of the game? I tend to have a habit of picking those ones if left to my own devices. I'm also playing a female since that seems to actually matter in this game as far as stats go.

Never pick a background that gives you gold or an item. They'll both quickly become useless.

When selecting a background with serious penalties to an attribute, make sure you know exactly how that penalty will affect you. For instance, your Charisma governs how many followers you can have, and your perception will affect your marksmanship. I've screwed myself over many times by forgetting things like that.

Other than that, just figure out how you want to play the game and pick a background that offers bonuses to that style of play.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

About to play Mass Effect. Tried it for 30 minutes before but now I have serious time to sit down and finish it. Thinking about playing that engineer/psion mix class because playing straight up warrior characters in RPGs is super boring to me.

Tips?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

al-azad posted:

About to play Mass Effect. Tried it for 30 minutes before but now I have serious time to sit down and finish it. Thinking about playing that engineer/psion mix class because playing straight up warrior characters in RPGs is super boring to me.

Tips?

Try to get over a million credits ASAP. Since it gives you access to Spectre weapons. You don't really have to rush it due to the way loot scales with your level but once you get a high enough level, it will be easy to get money.

Do the Dig Site, Feros and the Noveria, since Noveria has a pretty difficult boss battle.

Always zoom when using the Mako. It allows you to aim the turret lower than you normally would be able to.

Also, Make sure you either max out either the paragon or renegade skill for speech. Don't mix and match them. Do one or the other. Also, if Wrex ever gives a quest to find something from his family, do it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

al-azad posted:

Tips?

This has actually been covered rather thoroughly. To spare you the time digging through the thread, here's a link to the Mass Effect page on 'What Should I Know?'.

The Wiki doesn't get enough love. Whoever made the Wiki, you don't get enough love.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

al-azad posted:

Tips?

Wrex; Just get wrex. Even if he would not match your class at all he is worth it to have in your party. That said try having somebody with decryption or have it yourself.
For a first class I would go with something like a Vanguard or a Sentinal myself but anything really works.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

This has actually been covered rather thoroughly. To spare you the time digging through the thread, here's a link to the Mass Effect page on 'What Should I Know?'.

The Wiki doesn't get enough love. Whoever made the Wiki, you don't get enough love.

This link should be edited into the first post to save on redundant questions tia.

edit: I noticed there's no mention of a male or female character. Do the quests or story change or is it easier for one gender over the other? The only difference I know of is a lesbian sex scene. I'm ok with that.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 7, 2009

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

al-azad posted:

This link should be edited into the first post to save on redundant questions tia.

edit: I noticed there's no mention of a male or female character. Do the quests or story change or is it easier for one gender over the other? The only difference I know of is a lesbian sex scene. I'm ok with that.

No difference, but go as a female, her voice actor is much much better than the male one.

Plus there's lesbian sex scene.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
You want someone in your party that has electronics and decryption to unlock various chests and lockers. I don't think this will be a problem since you're gonna be a Sentinel. I think they get both but I can't remember. You get more xp if you kill something on foot rather than in the Mako. If you get a chance to be interviewed by a reporter, make sure to take it and then as it's underway shut her up you won't regret it :v:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Question about the wiki:
do I need to go in and edit in my answers or did they not pass some vetting process or am I missing something here? Not complaining, just wondering.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone post some tips for Red Faction: Guerrilla? I bought this game thinking it would be another Call of Duty/Halo sort of game, but instead its more of an open-world GTA sandbox. I'm having a hard time getting anywhere, since I can't seem to collect more than 20-30 salvage from blowing up buildings before the ever-present EDF arrive in large enough numbers to kill me. I've been incredibly poor, salvage-wise, all game so far--I had to grind for two hours so I could afford the rocket launcher, and I have no idea how I'll ever make enough to buy the upgrades for it. I'm also stumped on an early mission, because after blowing up 4 loudspeakers, I have to chase down a fleeing commander, and I have no idea how to stop someone in a fast vehicle unless I can get ahead of them enough to lay a bunch of charges.

The dynamic world thing is kinda pissing me off, too. I would have thought an explodable city would lend itself to large-scale set piece battles, not random EDF chaos.

Set the difficulty to casual, it really improves the game and is still challenging.

You get salvage rewards for completing missions plus whatever you find on the mission. I rarely had to farm salvage.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Going to dust off my copy of Grandia and I'm looking for advice, on levelling in particular. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong last time I played the game.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Going to dust off my copy of Grandia and I'm looking for advice, on levelling in particular. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong last time I played the game.
It's actually pretty forgiving and it'll reveal requirements for magic and skills you're close to learning anyway. IP denial through crits and other cancels is a very powerful tactic that makes level differences less of a big deal.

Remember to buy a massive stockpile of power mushrooms when they come up if you're at all interested in them. There are also enough mana eggs to make sure your endgame team has every element if you feel they need them, but take it easy on the non-permanent party members if you're not in the mood to hunt all the eggs down. Also keep weapons that can be used as items like a hail bow and the wrecking axe if you want to cut down on even more grinding.

I'm hoping I haven't completely misunderstood you.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Sentient Toaster posted:

It's actually pretty forgiving and it'll reveal requirements for magic and skills you're close to learning anyway. IP denial through crits and other cancels is a very powerful tactic that makes level differences less of a big deal.

Remember to buy a massive stockpile of power mushrooms when they come up if you're at all interested in them. There are also enough mana eggs to make sure your endgame team has every element if you feel they need them, but take it easy on the non-permanent party members if you're not in the mood to hunt all the eggs down. Also keep weapons that can be used as items like a hail bow and the wrecking axe if you want to cut down on even more grinding.

I'm hoping I haven't completely misunderstood you.

Right... what are power mushrooms again?

Don't get me wrong I got pretty far in my last play but it was like six or more years ago. So I don't remember a huge amount of the game.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Chinook posted:

To whomever made the Wiki here (http://drumandface.info/wsik/index.php/Main_Page), thanks for putting the time in. It doesn't seem as if it incorporates everything quite yet, but when it does, it'll be just plain terrific. A new thread could be put together at some point, and people could even edit their own stuff into that when posting it here.

Hopefully. I hope work on it hasn't been suspended entirely.

I only think it's incomplete, as I think I saw some Skies of Arcadia: Legends stuff in this thread, and can't find it on there at all.

Sorry, I've been really busy with another project. I meant to do it over the weekend, but I blew it off and read comic books instead.

I'll get it up to date in the next couple of days, promises. Thanks for reminding me, haha.

projecthalaxy posted:

Question about the wiki:
do I need to go in and edit in my answers or did they not pass some vetting process or am I missing something here? Not complaining, just wondering.

Nope, at the moment it's completely free-form, I haven't bothered locking it up yet because there aren't many contributions besides me and a couple of other kind souls. When I get it more fully completed (to date) I'll probably have people register for accounts like in other goon-based projects, but for now you can feel free to just look at the standard method of posting and add anything you want.

Also, if anyone comes up with a better way to display everything, I'm all ears. It was just the first format I could think of that made sense.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Thanks yo!

apekillape fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 8, 2009

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'm currently downloading X3: Terran Conflict based on the first post of the thread and the trailer (also, i hate myself and don't want to allow myself any sleep).

I would like some basic, general tips without spoilers or too much detail. Just enough info to keep me from loving myself too badly. What do you guys think?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I'm not quite sure if this is the right place, but is there something horribly wrong with Resident Evil 5? I noticed that the price for it dropped almost as fast as Haze, which can't be a good sign. I was about to get it from Gamefly, but I'm a bit concerned given the price dropped in half within 2 months of release.

And if there is nothing glaringly wrong with it, feel free to let me know if there's anything else I should know about it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just picked up Fallout Tactics, Sacrifice, and Giant Citizen Kabuto off of GoG. Any good tips for the games.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson

Palleon posted:

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place, but is there something horribly wrong with Resident Evil 5? I noticed that the price for it dropped almost as fast as Haze, which can't be a good sign. I was about to get it from Gamefly, but I'm a bit concerned given the price dropped in half within 2 months of release.

And if there is nothing glaringly wrong with it, feel free to let me know if there's anything else I should know about it.

I've played through it on every difficulty multiple times and i can tell you there isnt anything wrong with it besides the completly spastic story.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Palleon posted:

Yeah, it's totally fun. If you liked RE4, you'll like RE5. Make sure to abuse the 'rotten egg trick' to get money (to upgrade weapons) after you beat it once. "Grinding" for cash in a Resident Evil game is stupid. :)

apekillape posted:

Sorry, I've been really busy with another project. I meant to do it over the weekend, but I blew it off and read comic books instead.

I'll get it up to date in the next couple of days, promises. Thanks for reminding me, haha.

Thanks a lot!

I'm just glad it's getting updated, because it's just plain great. I'm surprised that someone hasn't done something like this before, either. A fairly spoiler-free website where you can get critical info you won't find in the manual OR on gamefaqs. Well, you might get some of it on Gamefaqs, but not without plenty of spoilers, idiocy, and digging.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dr Snofeld posted:

You will want to hunt down those alligator (maybe called chameleon) looking things that teleport all over the place when they see you. There are two types in forest areas and they probably give you full experience for magic and weapons to 99. Be sure to leave the area and come back to make them respawn.
Enemies don't really give much experience until the end and then there is a bonus dungeon with flying brains that give about 800. It will still take at least a month to reach 99 at that spot.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 8, 2009

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm thinking of trying out Planetscape: Torment; any pointers before i install that one?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

I'm thinking of trying out Planetscape: Torment; any pointers before i install that one?

The most important stat in the game is wisdom regardless of what class you're planning on taking. Wisdom gives you a boost to experience, the best dialog options, at least 23 is required to get the best ending, and you get an "inner voice" which warns you against making stupid dialog decisions like pissing characters off.

Intelligence and charisma are tied for the 2nd most important stat. You need at least a 23 charisma (plus the 23 wisdom) to get the best ending but intelligence affects dialog options in scholarly pursuits like when you're solving riddles at a very important plot event midway through the game.

Constitution comes above the rest of the physical skills. Don't quote me on this, but I believe once you get your con above 17 the main character starts regenerating health.

Planescape isn't a combat game like Baldur's Gate is. There are areas with some required fights (and a super difficult fight towards the last stretch of the game but you can easily win it if you let the character in question waste his buff/area spells) but the difficulty of the fights is generally easy if you keep the rest of your party, who will likely be doing most of the work, leveled up. I actually melee'd Glabrezu's with a mage character so my recommended class is definitely mage (you can become a fighter, mage, and thief by speaking to different people). However, keep in mind that every class levels up on its own. You can be a level 5 fighter and a level 8 mage but your stats gain the bonus from your highest class thus leveling up to 6 fighter 8 mage means you won't gain anything beneficial. Thus it's best to pick a class early (before visiting Pharod IMO) and sticking with it through the end.

Speak to every named NPC as they usually have a quest or butt ton of experience to give you or may trigger a memory if your wisdom is high enough (in which case you'll get a butt ton of experience!). In some situations you'll even get a stat increase or a special ability. Speak to every character in your party after every major quest. There are certain points in the game where plot points are revealed and when you bring them up with a character you'll unlock their special ability.

Finally, there are a few items you should not throw away. I bold this because they're seemingly useless items that are required later. Off the top of my head, this includes your intestines, a negative token, the blade of torment, and a bronze sphere (you get these about 1/4 into the game). Don't throw out the bronze sphere, your intestines are used three times throughout the game, the negative token protects you against some hard rear end enemies towards the end, and the blade is used towards the end of the game if you want to achieve a certain ending.

Finally, finally... You may end up buying the Modron Cube (do this). Inside is a long rear end dungeon that leads to my favorite fighter in the game. Because you likely have a full party, leave Ignus in the cube (but not before doing his background quest). Ignus isn't an important character. There's another character, this black knight guy, who can join your team but you get him super late in the game and he immediately betrays you if you choose pretty much 90% of his dialog choices + he automatically kills an important character who you could save and get a butt ton of experience from.

I know this is a lot to process at once but P:T is one of the richest RPGs I've played and the only way to truly experience the game is by playing a scholarly (high wisdom/int/cha) character. It's possible to get most of the storyline playing a straight up fighter but trust me when I say that the single greatest moment in P:T is when you discover how the entire in-game universe ties to the player character.

I sound like a mega nerd here but I about poo poo my pants once the gears in my head started turning.

edit: I forgot to mention, after every major quest be sure to speak to Fell (he's a dabus that sells tattoos). Tattoos are your primary source of stat boosts (only two characters I can recall actually wear armor and there's like 3 sets for each of them period). After certain quests, even seemingly minor ones, you can talk to Fell for an experience boost + a new tattoo. You also get tattoos for reaching certain levels in your classes, for completing one of the character's personal quests, and other random story events.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 9, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Just picked up Fallout Tactics, Sacrifice, and Giants: Citizen Kabuto off of GoG. Any good tips for the games.

As for Giants: Citizen Kabuto, just have fun. That game is hilarious and I can't believe it didn't get more attention in its time. It's a pretty lax game most of the time, so enjoy it. Oh, and do yourself a favor and play it on a sound system that has a subwoofer (if you can) and turn that bad boy all the way up. Those little fuckers that dig (I forget what they're called; I haven't played the game in ages) have a wonderful sound effect as they burrow toward you that sounds fan-loving-tastic with a woofer. It's kind of hard to explain, but you'll know what I'm talking about when it happens.

I know we've already discussed Mass Effect, and I'm reading the "What Should I Know?" link, but I can't seem to find any info on a patch that removes Seth Green from the game. Is Bioware planning on releasing something like that soon, or is that a third-party fix?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GeneralFai posted:

I know we've already discussed Mass Effect, and I'm reading the "What Should I Know?" link, but I can't seem to find any info on a patch that removes Seth Green from the game. Is Bioware planning on releasing something like that soon, or is that a third-party fix?

What? Seth Green isn't a superstar by any accounts, but he's a decent voice actor and has a whole lot of lines in the game. Why would he be removed?

VVVV :argh:

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 9, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Morpheus posted:

What? Seth Green isn't a superstar by any accounts, but he's a decent voice actor and has a whole lot of lines in the game. Why would he be removed?

it was a joke :ssh:

Nepalese Robot
Feb 14, 2009
I think I'm the only one who thought Seth Green actually did well in Mass Effect.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson

Nepalese Robot posted:

I think I'm the only one who thought Seth Green actually did well in Mass Effect.

No you aren't.

Although he didn't change his voice much i thought he gave a decent performance.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nepalese Robot posted:

I've found that lots of people agree with you. I think he irritates the people he does because to most of us, he always sounds the same. It's not that he's a bad voice actor per se, I just find his voice to be annoying and it doesn't help that he does little to change it between roles.

Then again, I'm not of the "Adult Swim Generation," so maybe his voice is an acquired taste or a "ya just had to be there" kind of deal.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

GeneralFai posted:

I've found that lots of people agree with you. I think he irritates the people he does because to most of us, he always sounds the same. It's not that he's a bad voice actor per se, I just find his voice to be annoying and it doesn't help that he does little to change it between roles.

Then again, I'm not of the "Adult Swim Generation," so maybe his voice is an acquired taste or a "ya just had to be there" kind of deal.

He doesn't always sound the same. For most of his roles he does, but I don't think I could identify him as the voice Chris in Family Guy without being told or looking it up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gooch181 posted:

Cool, thanks. Would I be allright sticking with the premade one, or better off changing stats around manually? It looks pretty daunting but as long as the premade class is good enough, I'd like to avoid it. I'd just hate to get hours into the game and find out I didn't put enough points in tree knowledge or some poo poo and be stuck.

It really seems like everyone who plays Drakensang firmly believes that you will simply fail to win the game if you do not have a properly balanced party of "some sort of excellent mage, two heavy hitters, and a fancy rogue lad." However, my standard strategy in every game, "have everyone hit things with the biggest weapons available," is working just fine even in this supposedly melee-unfriendly game; I am already past two or three of the legendary mega-fights in the game I just killed the dragon last night without having anyone go down, and did not even use the heat resistant stuff, and have thus far seen no weaknesses to the "tough PC and Rhulana/Forgrimm/Traldar" championship tactic.

Honestly, that mother rat in the brewery is the toughest fight I have seen in the entire game so far, extra-hilarious given that it is basically a newbie quest.

Drakensang is one of the best CRPGs in years, and everyone complaining about how it is just "same old same old" is ignoring the facts that it is absolutely gorgeous, that it has fantastic music and voice acting, and that it actually breaks fantasy gaming cliché territory left and right despite on paper having a semi-standard plot (do you KNOW how long it takes before you encounter a dwarf with a Scottish accent? AGES!).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Need some advice on Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1. Just finished Persona 3 FES last night, and want to play through one of these games, but besides the general tips, which one is better start with. Personally leaning toward Nocturne, as it older, and I don't have to be committed to play DDS2 (which I do have) right away.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Need some advice on Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1. Just finished Persona 3 FES last night, and want to play through one of these games, but besides the general tips, which one is better start with. Personally leaning toward Nocturne, as it older, and I don't have to be committed to play DDS2 (which I do have) right away.

I would start with Nocturne personally, I liked DDS1, but 2 was pretty bad in my opinion, the plot falls apart, and it's just not as good of a game, but Nocturne is very good.

You won't have to grind for much of it if you only play the main part, with a few exceptions, such as the Matador fight, although if you want to do all the optional stuff, it does become a grindfest (but worth it I think). Save often, and whatever you do, don't ever get rid of the first demon that joins you (a pixie), you'll be given a choice whether or not to keep her at some point, keep her, and make sure you don't ever discard her. You can fuse her into other demons, but make sure you don't ever discard the demons created from her, keep it with you throughout the entire game.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Quarex posted:

Honestly, that mother rat in the brewery is the toughest fight I have seen in the entire game so far, extra-hilarious given that it is basically a newbie quest.

gently caress that rat right up the arse! That fight was an unwelcome surprise after a well fought battle through hordes of regular rats. Who thought a boss that could 2-shot your guys that early on was a good idea? :argh: I still had trouble with her on my return trip 5 chapters later!

But yea, Drakensang was a sleeper hit for me. I'd avoided it due to past experiences with lovely German RPGs (Two Worlds stands out in the shittiness stakes), but after someone posted some screenshots in the Dragon Age thread I tried the demo and bought it the next day. Good game, and a hearty recommendation for any RPG fan.

Advice eh? Like Quarex, I went with a 3-melee party, adding the red-headed rogue-caster so she could pick locks and cast healing spells. I personally found mages less then stellar because of the long cast times and the AI's habit of bum-rushing anyone who starts casting. Hard-hitting spells don't mean much when you're constantly interrupted. However, the healing spells are a godsend for after-battle treatment because of the way the wound system works (suffer 5 wounds and it's an instant knockout, regardless of health. The evil mother rat was a bitch because she could cause 3 wounds per hit to newbie characters :wth:). Plus I could happily throw her into melee combat because of a long-term buff spells which eventually increased her armour levels beyond that the plate-wearing fighters! And since most of her combat abilities cause wounds, she can bring down tough guys with lots of health.

As for pre-made vs stat-fiddling, I would at least choose one weapon to focus on and strip points from any others, as well as unarmed. Magic weapons are few and far between, so by focusing on one weapon type you won't miss out on a Weapon of Uber Death Kill +9000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

DDS is a lot easier but its also not quite the same as the persona games and nocturne. That is to say that you only have a few party members and they all have the same demon throughout the whole game. This means that its a lot more like say FFX than a SMT game but that's not a bad thing because the story is actually quite good.