Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salsa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZT5-uGn9uk

As I said in the video, I have the nerdiest voice in the world, and I'm by no means the best player, but this pedal is great.

If you liked it/think you'll like it, you should totally shoot Burt an email at dr.booger at gorillasalsa.com

I don't receive any money for this, I simply want to show gratitude to him because he went far out of his way to help me out.

Just curious, but what kinda cost was having that made? I was on strike for 6 weeks, and when I get back on my feet, that'd be something I'd be interested in, if the price wasn't ridiculous. Just a ballpark would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

EvilBeard posted:

Just curious, but what kinda cost was having that made? I was on strike for 6 weeks, and when I get back on my feet, that'd be something I'd be interested in, if the price wasn't ridiculous. Just a ballpark would be nice.

You should shoot Burt an email, like I said, I don't want to misquote the price and put him in an awkward situation. If you're asking how much it cost to paint it, then it was like $15 plus a few days waiting for paint to dry.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

So I lost my job a couple of days ago. :smith:

I've been moping around my apartment for a couple of days so to cheer me up my girlfriend surprised me with this yesterday:

It's an Epiphone Hummingbird Artist and, even though it isn't worth much monetarily, it means the world to me. :unsmith:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Side Effects posted:

It's an Epiphone Hummingbird Artist and, even though it isn't worth much monetarily, it means the world to me. :unsmith:
This post reads like something from GivesMeHope. Congrats on the guitar and good luck on the job hunt.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Roflex posted:

Just received my M-Audio KeyStudio from Woot. It's on the desk behind the typing keyboard:

First impressions are that it's rather flimsy, when you press a key it's got as much horizontal freedom as vertical. Then again it's hard to expect a ton for $60, but it'll be interesting to see what I can do now that I have proper midi controls (all I had before was the PSR-275 on the right, which does nothing but play notes).

What up woot buddy :hfive:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Using an old laptop to read sheet music while I try and remember piano lessons from elementary school. Built a new table for it (pictured) because I've run out of space on my current computer table....

edit: yours has wobbly feeling keys? Maybe I haven't been around keyboards lately, but other than the lack of weighted keys, they feel pretty good to me

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 6, 2009

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right thread but I was interested in buying some pedals; more specifically a reverb and a chorus pedal. I'm looking for some recommendations. For reverb, I want something that can rich up my tone and give me extra feeling for pretty much everything. I want to use it for cleans and lightly overdriven stuff all the way into metal solos, so preferably something pretty versatile. For chorus, I'll probably mainly use it to spice up my cleans and such, maybe for some distorted lead stuff as well, but I probably won't be using it as much as the reverb, so I don't really need anything superspecial. Keep in mind I live in Sweden, so I likely won't have access to the more obscure stuff. I've been looking around and Digitech seems pretty decent, anyone know anything about them? Any recommendations on what I should be looking for, or pedals that you know sound good? Thanks.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Using an old laptop to read sheet music while I try and remember piano lessons from elementary school. Built a new table for it (pictured) because I've run out of space on my current computer table....

Hah, I did exactly the same thing for my old Radium61. Built a desk two metres long :monocle:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What up two meter, self built desk for a keyboard buddy :monocle::hf::cool:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 6, 2009

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Hadlock posted:

edit: yours has wobbly feeling keys? Maybe I haven't been around keyboards lately, but other than the lack of weighted keys, they feel pretty good to me

Compared to the PSR (which is also synth-action) these feel held-in by jelly. Although the action in the PSR is a bit firmer overall so maybe I'm just not used to it yet.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Bought some more poo poo. Namely:

As well as a longer daisy chain for my 1Spot. Going to buy 2 15ft right angle SnapJack cables on Tuesday.

EDIT: Bought a Small Clone, not a Small Stone. I have a small stone.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 7, 2009

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Hey, apparently I could use an attenuator for my AC30. I just played a show at a smaller club and, since I'm using a reissue with a pretty old-style circuit, it has no master volume of any kind and the channel volume has to be pretty drat high since I use the driven clean channel for overdrive, not a pedal. Long story short, it's too loud at the gain level I like. I have absolutely no idea where to begin with this sort of thing, so can anyone recommend me anything?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone have a Hot Hand controller? Seems pretty badass...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBzNGOZ_X-U

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That's always struck me as something that is way cooler on paper than in execution. I mean, for someone with a synth or whatever who has the freedom to wave their hand around like a nutter it's a different story. Someone with four Hot Hands rings could do some really cool stuff in the context of a synth performance. But for guitar, it seems like it would be difficult to accommodate in your playing.

I haven't made my mind up on it, but consider me skeptical.

Edit: Listening to that video, it's pretty much what I expected from it. Unless your songs include a lot of droning, extended notes and chords where you've got the freedom to take your hand off the guitar and wave it around for effect, then you're limited mostly to sort of chirpy noises, at least with a filter/wah. I really like how that guy uses it, but it could get really gimmicky really quick.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 7, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

I really like how that guy uses it, but it could get really gimmicky really quick.

Well the same can be said for any effect to be honest.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

A given effect can get gimmicky (though wah is pretty damned versatile when you're not using it with a Hot Hands), but do you want your controller itself to be gimmicky?

Edit: Here's another video demo of it:

Hot Hand Guitar Solo

Pretty much the same thing going on, isn't it? If you want to be able to do THAT, then it would be a good thing to buy. But in the context of wearing one on your hand while playing guitar it seems like that's about what it's got to offer.

Edit 2: I might get one of these anyway, though. In my studio I could just use it as a regular MIDI controller, and without the constraint of trying to play guitar at the same time, I bet I could get some really cool sounds with it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 7, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

Anyone have a Hot Hand controller? Seems pretty badass...

Someone here was doing a setup like that IIRC...can't remember dude's name but he had the jaguar with the q-tuner pickups...

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Finished adjusting the trimpots and painted the enclosure of my DIY pedal. Not the cleanest job in the world, but it'll do. I also added a toggle switch to adjust the range of the tone knob, since the stock LTD Silver tone sweep is pretty subtle.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bisticles posted:

that is an awesome name for a pedal

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

warwick5s posted:

Someone here was doing a setup like that IIRC...can't remember dude's name but he had the jaguar with the q-tuner pickups...

It was Handen/Hayden (can't remember the exact spelling.)

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)
It's me again, and I've found a reverb pedal that seems good: The Line6 VerbZilla.
edit: Picture for the lazy

I just wanted to double-check something before I buy it, in case anyone here knows. I assume it doesn't come with a power supply and the manual gives the following stats:
pre:
Power requirements
		Min	Nominal	Max
Supply voltage	6 VDC	9.6 VDC	16 VDC
Supply current	40mADC	60mADC	100mADC
(@ 9.6 VDC)
Power		0.4 W	0.6 W	1 W
(@ 9.6 VDC)
Then I was looking at a power supply with these stats: 9V, 300mA, and 2.7VA. Now I don't know much about electronics so maybe this is a dumb question but would one of these power supplies work to power the VerbZilla? The power supply says it's compatible with Boss, Fab, Zoom, T-Rex, EBS pedals among others.

Also, opinions on the VerbZilla are welcome.

Sprenk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 8, 2009

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can you put a nine volt battery in that pedal? If so, I would think any power supply that works with a boss or other pedals would work fine for this as the power supply just replaces the battery.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

Cojawfee posted:

Can you put a nine volt battery in that pedal? If so, I would think any power supply that works with a boss or other pedals would work fine for this as the power supply just replaces the battery.

Yeah, 9V battery. Should work fine then. I guess that was a pretty dumb question. It just confused me with the different Ampère values and stuff and I figured I'd double-check. Oh well, thanks for the quick response :)
Guess that's my next gear purchase then!

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Midget Gems posted:

Obviously, with no sound hole it's not particularly loud, so I was thinking about fitting a pickup. I have no experience with acoustic pickups, so can anyone tell me what my best options are for fitting a pickup / getting more noise out of it

Unfortunately, ukes are pretty hard to put pickups in. One, there's not a huge market for it and thus not a lot of options. Two, you're dealing with nylon strings, so a magnetized coil pickup isn't an option (which really limits you). You have two options, either spend some solid money to get a sort of saddle system (which my girlfriend uses, and sounds really nice through one of those Baggs acoustic direct boxes), or a piezo pickup that you paste to it to pick up the vibrations. This one (http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=30&categoryId=2) is pretty popular and effective, but is not very aesthetically pleasing (it's a wooden block you paste on to the front of the uke with a quarter inch cable coming out of it).

Edit: She uses this one, specifically, it's active, lasts for like 30 hours after being charged for sixty seconds, and can be charged (I guess) 50,000 times before it starts to wear out. Nothing but praise for it so far.

Los Padre fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 8, 2009

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

brute_force posted:

Then I was looking at a power supply with these stats: 9V, 300mA, and 2.7VA.

You can use a power supply with a higher rated amperage, the pedal will only draw what it needs.

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

theflyingexecutive posted:

You can use a power supply with a higher rated amperage, the pedal will only draw what it needs.

Oh. I thought it might overload it and make it blow up in a shower of sparks or something (I'm not being sarcastic I actually thought this). Thanks, that's good to know. As you can tell, I know pretty much nothing about electronics :)

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
Just got my last pedal of the summer - Danelectro Chicken Salad:

I was looking into a Lovepedal Pickle Vibe ($120 New), Fulltone Deja Vibe ($200 Used), and Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe ($300 New), and someone suggested I grab one of these. MusicToyz was (and still is) blowing out Danelectro pedals at $9.95, so for about $15 shipped, I finished off my board for now, and got a stupidly good for the money pedal. It's retarded how nice this sounds for how much I payed for it.

Besides the Timmy I'm on the waiting list for, and maybe a fuzz to replace the Octafuzz, I'm done with my effects for a while.

royalejest fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 8, 2009

DrChu
May 14, 2002

royalejest posted:

How's that Memory Boy treating you?

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

DrChu posted:

How's that Memory Boy treating you?

I like it, but it's really hard to dial in a good delay. The modulation is nice though, I'm using it more as a chorus than a delay, generally. I may be someone who should stick to digital delays, but for $98, I don't regret it.

royalejest fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 9, 2009

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I've finally bought myself a decent acoustic.

It's a Taylor 510, and I'm very much in love with it right now. I've wanted a Taylor for years, and I'm very happy with this one.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I picked up a Line6 Constrictor (compressor) pedal over the weekend. I haven't gotten a chance to use it much yet, but I'm looking forward to experimenting. I think some fuzz is in the cards next.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I started off with this mim Tele, bought in January this year,

And ended up trading it for a Schecter C1+ a few months later after wanting to get a guitar with humbuckers.

This was a nice guitar and all, but I found myself tuning lower and lower, and I started wanting something to match my 7 string bass a little bit. I found a black Ibanez RG7620 on my local craigslist for $225 with a nice gigbag. I sold the Schecter for that in a day, and picked the 7620 up. It's so much fun to play, a 7 feels absolutely natural and I love the low B. Needs some new strings and a setup, but that is tomorrows job, Ill post some picks up after getting all that done!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Thorpe posted:

This was a nice guitar and all, but I found myself tuning lower and lower, and I started wanting something to match my 7 string bass a little bit. I found a black Ibanez RG7620 on my local craigslist for $225 with a nice gigbag. I sold the Schecter for that in a day, and picked the 7620 up. It's so much fun to play, a 7 feels absolutely natural and I love the low B. Needs some new strings and a setup, but that is tomorrows job, Ill post some picks up after getting all that done!
You'll be an 8-stringer soon :smug:

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Gorilla Salsa posted:

You'll be an 8-stringer soon :smug:

Haha, thats later october. drat agiles are just too affordable to say no. Of course, Ill have to find a 35" scale bass to tune to F# too...

Dang music stuff

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm still easing myself into the world of electric after a few years playing classical. I just got my first effects pedal, no prizes for guessing what it is Boss DS-1.

Unfortunately the cable I bought with it was hosed straight out of the packet so I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just shove a coat hanger in there and piss off all your audiophile friends.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Well it's not new, but it's been broken for a while and I finally got it back from the repair guy, so it's new all over again to me! Enjoy a terribly blurry pic of my reissue Vibrolux Reverb 2x10!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Carbohydrates posted:

Well it's not new, but it's been broken for a while and I finally got it back from the repair guy, so it's new all over again to me! Enjoy a terribly blurry pic of my reissue Vibrolux Reverb 2x10!

What kind of guitar is that?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

nolen posted:

What kind of guitar is that?
Eastwood Airline Map. Mine's set up with single coils disguised as humbuckers. Neck position is an old Valco/Supro dummy, bridge is one I made myself out of an old humbucker and a Melody Maker single coil.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
Yes, the nut and bridge are made from eyebolts.

I just finished building a cigar box guitar. Poplar neck made out of a 1x2 and some cheap old Harmony tuners I had in a box. Plenty of rasping and filing and hacksawing and there we have it. Tuned up to an open G at the moment. Sounds about as dirty as it looks.

Especially with some slide.

Now I just have to figure out where the frets markers go so I can play with any semblance of tuning. Also hooked up a piezo pickup in there so I can plug it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Very cool!

If you haven't glued the bridge down yet, you can adjust it so the your guitar has a standard 24.5" or 25.5" scale length, then just hold it up against a commercially made guitar and literally pencil in the fret markers. That's what I've done, and never had the need to improve upon that for general slide play.