Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think I can see why iPhone users spend ridiculous amounts of money to upgrade their phones every year... Since I got my iPod Touch for Christmas I have gotten so much use out of this thing (at least 2 hours every day on the train ride to work), that I might just jump at a new one if it comes with a camera and some new neat features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Wedemeyer posted:

No, just with nike. It's not possible to use BT headsets with itouchs, just iphones.
This is completely false. With the 3.0 update you can use Stereo A2DP Bluetooth Headsets with the iPod Touch 2nd gen. I do it on a daily basis. I have it synced with my car and a couple pairs of headphones. Works great. Awesome range, too. I set my ipod down on the table in the kitchen and can move all around making meals and cleaning up and go outside to the grill. No wires to get caught up in anything and great for when you're wearing shorts without any pockets.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

^^Really? As far as I knew from people asking on various itouch forums bluetooth wasn't something available for the itouch. Thanks for updating me about that!

Though to me it makes more sense to get a phone to use bluetooth with then a music player V:)V

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wedemeyer posted:

^^Really? As far as I knew from people asking on various itouch forums bluetooth wasn't something available for the itouch. Thanks for updating me about that!

Though to me it makes more sense to get a phone to use bluetooth with then a music player V:)V

The first-gen Touch doesn't have Bluetooth, but the second-gen Touch has Bluetooth hardware that was activated with the 3.0 update.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I seem to recall it only handles audio though, right? Not remote control or file transfers.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I seem to recall it only handles audio though, right? Not remote control or file transfers.

Yes. It ONLY supports the AD2P profile, nothing else, not even AVRC. But support A2DP it does quite well.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Apple has sent out invites for the September 9th iPod event.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there any way I can make it so that the touch will show the remaining amount of time a song will play for? I have not been able to find an option to turn this on and it is incredibly frustrating. Any jailbroken apps/plugins I can put on that will allow me to do this?

Also, in some apps I have downloaded (mainly VLC4iPhone) there are adds that show up. Is there any way to get rid of these?

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 2, 2009

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Massasoit posted:

Is there any way I can make it so that the touch will show the remaining amount of time a song will play for? I have not been able to find an option to turn this on and it is incredibly frustrating. Any jailbroken apps/plugins I can put on that will allow me to do this?

Not sure if you're looking for something more than this, but while you are playing a song if you just tap once on the album artwork (so don't be in track listing) it brings up an extra window that shows the current track time on the left, the skip bar in the middle, and the remaining track time on the right.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

xamphear posted:

This is completely false. With the 3.0 update you can use Stereo A2DP Bluetooth Headsets with the iPod Touch 2nd gen. I do it on a daily basis. I have it synced with my car and a couple pairs of headphones. Works great. Awesome range, too. I set my ipod down on the table in the kitchen and can move all around making meals and cleaning up and go outside to the grill. No wires to get caught up in anything and great for when you're wearing shorts without any pockets.

What kind of Bluetooth car stereo and headphones do you have? I'm in the market for both and didn't even realize my 2nd gen can do Bluetooth audio now.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

plester1 posted:

What kind of Bluetooth car stereo and headphones do you have? I'm in the market for both and didn't even realize my 2nd gen can do Bluetooth audio now.
I picked up these headphones and really like them:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-906-BackBeat-Headphone/dp/B001TK3ACA/

The sound quality is good and the battery life is excellent. They look dorky but so do all bluetooth headphones, really.

In my car, the stock deck has an aux-in port so I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-LiquidAUX-Bluetooth-Remote-Phones/dp/B0011UIX2K

I don't even have to take my ipod touch out of my backpack or pocket. Turning the car on starts up the bluetooth, the ipod syncs automatically, and I use the play button on the tiny remote thing. It's a lazy person's dream.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Protip posted:

Not sure if you're looking for something more than this, but while you are playing a song if you just tap once on the album artwork (so don't be in track listing) it brings up an extra window that shows the current track time on the left, the skip bar in the middle, and the remaining track time on the right.

Exactly what I was looking for.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

xamphear posted:

I picked up these headphones and really like them:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-906-BackBeat-Headphone/dp/B001TK3ACA/

The sound quality is good and the battery life is excellent. They look dorky but so do all bluetooth headphones, really.

In my car, the stock deck has an aux-in port so I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-LiquidAUX-Bluetooth-Remote-Phones/dp/B0011UIX2K

I don't even have to take my ipod touch out of my backpack or pocket. Turning the car on starts up the bluetooth, the ipod syncs automatically, and I use the play button on the tiny remote thing. It's a lazy person's dream.

Wow, I was about to ask about bluetooth headset options, awesome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Does redsn0w not work with Vista 64? I get some USB error when it gets it past the DFU enabler mode.

EDIT: NVM, got it working when I switched to a different port. :D

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 5, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Er, I bought an 8GB Touch today (free with computer deal) and it comes with OS 2.2.1 - and they want me to pay for the upgrade to 3.0? That seems pretty shady.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Er, I bought an 8GB Touch today (free with computer deal) and it comes with OS 2.2.1 - and they want me to pay for the upgrade to 3.0? That seems pretty shady.
Sell it on SA Mart before next Wednesday, then use the money to pick up the Touch 3G.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Eh, don't think I'll bother to spend more money on something like that

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, that's how it's been since 3.0 was released, and it happened the same way when 2.0 was released as well. Some retailers lowered the price of the touch by however much the OS cost, but I haven't heard anything about it happening this time.

The price adjustment may have been after it was released to get rid of 1st gen stock, I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is 3.1 firmware suppose to come out with the 3.0 touch?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This is more of a general iPod question.

So I synched/loaded a bunch of video onto my iPod Touch through my laptop with the video on an external hard drive. Well now I have my laptop with me on vacation, but my external hard drive with all the actual video files is back at home, and I want to put some more video onto the iPod.

If I sync my iPod w/ iTunes, will it delete the video off my iPod because the video cannot be found? Or will the video stay synced on my iPod as long as I don't remove the items from my iTunes library?

I don't really want to test this and find out for myself, as I have a 6 hour Amtrak ride tomorrow and don't want to lose all the video I put on there for the trip.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Trying to update to 3.0 and for some reason I cannot figure this out. I click the Update button in Itunes and it asks if I want to learn more but when I click it nothing happens. Also, trying this link (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html) to update also fails. Any suggestions?

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.

wandler20 posted:

Trying to update to 3.0 and for some reason I cannot figure this out. I click the Update button in Itunes and it asks if I want to learn more but when I click it nothing happens. Also, trying this link (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html) to update also fails. Any suggestions?

Are you connected to the internet and also signed into the store? I know I had that happen because I needed to update some of my info on the store, and then things all worked fine.

It'll take a couple minutes to download the update before it starts updating the iPod.

Prior to the event today, the prices have been slashed. Don't know what that means for the announcements later today.

Store is currently down actually, but:

8g:$189 16g:$249 32g:$279

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm sure any big news will get cross-posted, but here's the thread for today's Apple event.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

It's also getting a speed bump (probably to match the 3Gs, but I don't think they gave numbers on it) and that's it so far.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Welp... the Touch isn't getting a video camera. It did get the iPhone GS graphics and CPU, I just hope the new Touch doesn't melt and burn people. The Nano is strangely the iPod getting video. I think Apple wanted to differentiate the Touch and iPhone more. Way to neuter the video capability.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Lame update. Prices drop accordingly and you get the 64GB for $399 now. The specs now match with a 3GS so it's faster as a gaming machine but really, you won't miss anything if you've got a 2G right now. Also, no camera, which really surprises me.

Oh well, just got my 2G in March so by next year's update when the camera is probably a lock to be added, I'll be ready for a new one.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well, while the announcement was sort of disappointing in a way with no major new feature on the new iPod Touch, the good news is that I don't have the buyers remorse!

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
So what is actually upgraded in the new 8gb iTouches? Is the voice stuff the only bonus that 32/64gb ones have? I'm very inclined to just get an 8gb refurbished one now that so little seems to have changed in the new generation.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Crotch Bat posted:

Oh well, just got my 2G in March so by next year's update when the camera is probably a lock to be added, I'll be ready for a new one.

Yeah I'm in the same boat actually, on one hand it was a lame update but on the other hand I guess it's good there's nothing for me to be really jealous over, I manage my 16gigs well and I don't play games so I'm solid

I want 3.1 to hurry and update for me, I hope it fixes the wifi thing

E: Wait, 3.1 is a 5 dollar upgrade for touch users? fffffffffffffff

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 9, 2009

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

WDIIA posted:

Oh, great. What does it have over 3.0 (besides a .1 bump)?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WDIIA posted:

This better not be so for people with 3.0. I paid $10 to upgrade to that, and then another $5 to get better genius results? That's loving bullshit.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Kreeblah posted:

Oh, great. What does it have over 3.0 (besides a .1 bump)?

Well here's the webpage, who knows how much will be useful

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/software-update.html

I don't think it's asked for my password yet, maybe after I finish downloading. Still: "Download the Software Update. Only $4.95."

E: Like I said, I really just want my wifi to be fixed

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 9, 2009

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I guess when you go through it all it's free if you've got 3.0, but it's still mad retarded to go BUY NOW without any sort of fine print

~~Sorry for the false alarm~~

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Just to clear up any confusion, the 8GB touch is the same thing as the OLD 8GB touch. The only thing different is that it ships with the 3.1 firmware.

The only touch updates we saw today were the 32GB and 64GB models, which got the same CPU and RAM as the iPhone 3GS, and now comes with a mic on the earbuds. No camera, no GPS, no word on whether or not it has an oleophobic screen.

I'm pretty disappointed. I was expecting to spend $199-229 for a 16gb touch with a camera today.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Kreeblah posted:

It's also getting a speed bump (probably to match the 3Gs, but I don't think they gave numbers on it) and that's it so far.

According to the website, it only says "Faster Performance" and "Earphones with Remote and Mic" for the 32 and 64gb models. It would appear as though the 8GB is the same, just $30 cheaper now. How much of a difference can this new processor make? I too feel a little ripped off. I have no idea what to get now.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Maybe I'm just being cynical, but doesn't it seem a little sleazy for Apple to drop the 8GB touch's price by $30, and eliminate the 16GB touch entirely to force people who need more than 8GB (or who want the updated CPU) to buy the $299 32GB?

The 16GB touch has been the best selling touch model since its initial release, and Apple went and got rid of it and are now trying to sell last year's 8GB touch for $30 less.

This whole update is a slap in the face to touch owners (and potential new touch owners).

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I was pretty excited to try out organizing my applications through iTunes, but of course it turns out I'd have to buy the 3.0 update first. I really don't want to update to the 3.x firmwares until all the issues many touch owners complain about with the firmware are resolved.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Still can't get my Touch to update to 3.0. Update 3.1.1 shows up but for some reason it still won't allow me to update. Looks like I may need to restore my Touch, not sure what else to try.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

wandler20 posted:

Still can't get my Touch to update to 3.0. Update 3.1.1 shows up but for some reason it still won't allow me to update. Looks like I may need to restore my Touch, not sure what else to try.

I think with some mp3 player forums like for my Cowon A3 they keep back ups of older firmwares [2.X, etc], so maybe you can find what you're looking for there? I know with my itouch, since I bought it used, I had to find* a firmware for redsnow to jailbreak through. Unless there was an easier way I didn't know of.

*:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

toxick posted:

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but doesn't it seem a little sleazy for Apple to drop the 8GB touch's price by $30, and eliminate the 16GB touch entirely to force people who need more than 8GB (or who want the updated CPU) to buy the $299 32GB?

Before today, the 16Gb Touch was retailing for $299, wasn't it?

Although it seems odd at first that they dropped the 16Gb model, working under the assumption that they wanted to introduce a 64Gb model what else would you rather they did?

Having four models of Touch seems like overkill to me. Heck, three is even pushing it, but I can understand the thinking behind "budget", "mainstream", and "gotta have the best no matter what price premium I have to pay" models.

• Locked thread