Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

etard knievel posted:

Ken Burns' documentary about Jazz, called Jazz - it has some flaws (noticeably that it focuses heavily on roots and swing and very little on free jazz, fusion or any other style that's been relevant in the last 50 years) but is a great introduction to a ton of canonical artists and classic styles. If you're interested in the newer stuff some classic staples worth getting are Bitches Brew by Miles Davis, Karma by Pharaoh Sanders, Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus and The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra.

I'd recommend John Coltrane's A Love Supreme and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue before Sun Ra, or Pharoah Sanders. I guess Mingus Ah Um wouldn't be too bad a starting point but A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue are considerably more popular and accessible. But I do agree with you on the Ken Burns doc.

Farts Domino posted:

I think you're both barking up the wrong tree. If he was in New Orleans I doubt that was the sort of jazz he heard, though that Jazz documentary might be good to figure out what he really wants to hear.

Yeah, I got so carried away with what etard said that I forgot about the context of the original request.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I think you're both barking up the wrong tree. If he was in New Orleans I doubt that was the sort of jazz he heard, though that Jazz documentary might be good to figure out what he really wants to hear. As far as New Orleans goes, Preservation Hall Jazz Band has been doing traditional dixieland jazz for a while and New Orleans Moonshiners or Panorama Jazz Band might do it for you too, and historically you could look to Kid Ory, King Oliver, Sidney Bechet.

Brass Bands often get lumped into jazz as well. If you want something traditional in the style, Treme Brass Band is great and Olympia will work too. When you go more Funk infused it's all about Rebirth Brass Band, with Dirty Dozen right behind it and Trombone Shorty is a far cry from Jazz but still gets lumped in through Brass instrument usage.

Unless you went and saw Ellis Marsalis at Snug Harbor or something in which case errrrugh just listen to his kids but ignore most of what Wynton or Ellis will say.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Kind of Blue is completely different from what I heard, actually It's completely different from almost anything I've heard. But its awesome. Preservation Hall Jazz band is a bit more like what I experienced in the city. Thanks for all the recommendations, I'm goign to try and find that Jazz Miniseries. Hopefully the library will have it.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

mcvey posted:

How about Mogwai? Where would I start with them?
Boards of Canada and GY!BE are some of my favorite bands so... I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

I would say Mr. Beast is a good entry point. They're a bit "heavier" than the bands you mentioned though.

(With your tastes I would also check out the bands A Silver Mt. Zion and other bands from Constellation records. Also, if you like Mogwai, try (pretty much anything from) Explotions in the Sky.)

OrganicRobot posted:

How do I get into Current 93? I've listened to some of their stuff and it just seems like crazy poetry set against medieval music. Is that the point or something?

Not that into him, heard he put out quite a variety of different albums, but I would say All The Pretty Little Horses is a nice album to start with.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
meant the recommendation thread

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 5, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Uncle Meat posted:

OrganicRobot posted:

How do I get into Current 93? I've listened to some of their stuff and it just seems like crazy poetry set against medieval music. Is that the point or something?

Not that into him, heard he put out quite a variety of different albums, but I would say All The Pretty Little Horses is a nice album to start with.

I would recommend Thunder Perfect Mind, although AtPLH is pretty good too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I recently watched Harold and Maude which features a soundtrack composed entirely of Cat Steven's music. I was wondering where you guys would recommend I start in his discography because from what I heard, I instantly fell in love with it all.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Wilco, anyone?

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I recently watched Harold and Maude which features a soundtrack composed entirely of Cat Steven's music. I was wondering where you guys would recommend I start in his discography because from what I heard, I instantly fell in love with it all.

Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Wilco, anyone?

Well, the place I personally started in their discography was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but honestly I think you can't go wrong starting with Summerteeth either. Stuff before Summerteeth tends to be a lot more alt-country (which I like) and stuff after, say, A Ghost is Born starts getting progressively more boring (which I obviously don't like). edit: except for Kicking Television, which is great.

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 18, 2009

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

TheNintenGenius posted:

Well, the place I personally started in their discography was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but honestly I think you can't go wrong starting with Summerteeth either. Stuff before Summerteeth tends to be a lot more alt-country (which I like) and stuff after, say, A Ghost is Born starts getting progressively more boring (which I obviously don't like). edit: except for Kicking Television, which is great.

I like Wilco best as alt-country so Being There is my go-to. But YHF is probably their best.

Now, I've just started on Eels and I thought Beautiful Freak was OK and Electro-Shock Blues was fantastic, is anything else worth it?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

shpladoinkle posted:

Now, I've just started on Eels and I thought Beautiful Freak was OK and Electro-Shock Blues was fantastic, is anything else worth it?

Get Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. Every album is good in its own way to me, but that one is my favorite

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

shpladoinkle posted:

Echoing 'Blinking Lights...' but 'Daisies of the Galaxy' is also well worth a look. It's a bit hit-and-miss but when E nails it, it's just awesome.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
BLaOR disc 1 was pretty good, only two really slow boring songs on it. Gonna listen through the second half today, thanks for the tips all.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I hear nothing but great things about Minus the Bear and I want to give them a fair shot.

Someone drop me some knowledge.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

-Atom- posted:

I hear nothing but great things about Minus the Bear and I want to give them a fair shot.

Someone drop me some knowledge.

As far as the studio albums go, start with Highly Refined Pirates, then go forward.

Also, listen to This Is What I Know About Being Gigantic somewhere in there. You can probably skip Bands Like It When You Yell Yar At Them altogether because it's just a couple tracks from HRP and an original which isn't very good.

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!
After loving music produced by Brian Eno, I got curious about his own music, and, was immediately overwhelmed upon looking at his catalogue. Any tips?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I'd check out Here Comes The Warm Jets and Another Green World

Both are great albums

piss poor
May 6, 2007
Where do I start with Joan of Arc, mathcore and math metal, and hardcore punk? Thank you.

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

piss poor posted:

Where do I start with Joan of Arc, mathcore and math metal, and hardcore punk? Thank you.

Dillinger Escape Plan is pretty good for mathcore/math metal, especially their first LP, Calculating Infinity. Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv8b6RPbnAc

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

piss poor posted:

This is by no means a comprehensive introduction, but for hardcore punk, you need to at least check out Black Flag (Damaged), the Dead Kennedys (Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables), Sick of it All (Blood, Sweat & No Tears) and Minor Threat (The Complete Discography).

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

As far as the studio albums go, start with Highly Refined Pirates, then go forward.

I listened through this album twice now and I find myself putting Spritz!!! Spritz!!! on repeat.

Thanks a ton.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Kinda digging on some NEW ORDER lately. Blue Monday is a classic, and I really like True Faith. These are the only two songs I really know by them. Where should I go from here?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bean_ posted:

Kinda digging on some NEW ORDER lately. Blue Monday is a classic, and I really like True Faith. These are the only two songs I really know by them. Where should I go from here?

Pick up Substance. It's a singles collection, but there's no overlap with the albums... most of the songs don't appear on the albums, or are 12" remixes of the album versions.

After that, Power, Corruption and Lies which is one of my all-time favorites. (note: CD versions include "Blue Monday" and "The Beach", which are on Substance, but were not originally part of PCL).

If you're interested in going further, everything up through Technique is great, and Republic has some good stuff too.

EDIT: fun fact - Substance was the first compact disc I ever bought (back when they came in longboxes)

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 26, 2009

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Bean_ posted:

Pick up Substance and you'll be hooked hard. It's their two-disc compilation of all the singles they released through 1987. "Blue Monday" and "True Faith" are both on there. Those two songs were basically all I knew about New Order when I got it, but I discovered that almost all of the songs on disc one are as classic and incredible. "Ceremony" is a beautiful relic from the band's Joy Division era, "Temptation" is an instant favorite with many who have heard it, and on and on. The second disc has a lot of instrumentals, remixes and B-sides.

The only downside with Substance is that many of the songs are around 6 of 7 minutes long, so listening to it all can be sort of tedious. Regardless, it's got the most hits in one place, spans a good part of their career, and contains the least amount of questionable later material.

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

piss poor posted:

Joan of Arc: I'd probably start from Boo Human then go to Joan of Arc, Dick Cheney, Mark Twain. If you like the former more then work backwards from there, if the latter strikes you more try out The Gap which is probably their most experimental album and go forwards. In Rape Fantasy and Terror Sex We Trust is probably their strongest album though.

If you want some similar bands, pretty much anything Tim Kinsella has been in is golden. In particular Owls (one eponymous album, a bit punkier but shares the similar jagged rhythms) and Cap'n Jazz (one anthology released, analphabetapolothology, more hardcore/emo). Also you might want to check out the band American Football (I think they've only released one album) which was formed by Mike Kinsella, Tim's brother and bassist/drummer for most of the aforementioned projects.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

piss poor posted:

Where do I start with mathcore and math metal

Meshuggah!

Their most accessible album is probably Destroy, Erase, Improve (my favorite), but if you're looking for crazy-rear end poo poo check out Catch-33.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Drive-By Truckers' cover of "Play It All Night Long" on their new rarities compilation The Fine Print (excellent, highly recommended for fans) reminds me that I never gave Warren Zevon a fair shot. I love Randy Newman's '70s work so Zevon's been recommended to me often but I gave his self-titled a cursory listen a while ago and it didn't immediately click for me. Back to that or should I start somewhere else?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Bump. I finally got myself into Talking Heads via Speaking In Tongues, and I know I have Remain in Light somewhere around. Anyone recommend and order to acquire the rest of their stuff in? What's worth it?

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

shpladoinkle posted:

Bump. I finally got myself into Talking Heads via Speaking In Tongues, and I know I have Remain in Light somewhere around. Anyone recommend and order to acquire the rest of their stuff in? What's worth it?

Start at the beginning for best results. Talking Heads: 77, More Songs About Buildings and Food, and Fear of Music are all new wave masterpieces. It's likely you'll be turned off at first; very little of this music bears any resemblance to the afro-rhythms and pulses of Remain In Light or Speaking In Tongues, but it's very quickly evident that David Byrne is a master of songwriting, and the tunes are catchy as hell too.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

shpladoinkle posted:

Everything but True Stories.

But seriously, if you have Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues, go this route:

Talking Heads '77
Fear of Music
More Songs About Buildings and Food
Naked
Little Creatures
True Stories

Alternately, seek out The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads (the newest release of it). It's a live album that's a much better listen than Stop Making Sense, which I think works better as a movie than just the soundtrack. TNOTBITH will take you all the way through Remain In Light so you can get a feel for what it all sounds like, plus it's got an amazing song called "A Clean Break" that only exists in live versions.

Edit: beaten by the slimmest of margins.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Ok. Whoa I found a copy of Little Creatures in my basement as well, must have been a relic of my parents. neato. Thanks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Everything but True Stories.

I really didn't like True Stories at first, but it became one of my favorite albums after I saw the movie.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

ultrafilter posted:

I really didn't like True Stories at first, but it became one of my favorite albums after I saw the movie.

I only watch the movie :)

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
I've just recently gotten into Placebo's album Sleeping with Ghosts, and am wondering which one I should get next.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

azechiel posted:

I've just recently gotten into Placebo's album Sleeping with Ghosts, and am wondering which one I should get next.

You should probably get Without You I'm Nothing next, in my opinion

Chexmix
Dec 10, 2006

Looks like you'll have to go handle this yourself.
Anyone know what a good starting point with Fela Kuti would be? I got interested because of K'naan and J. Period's "The Messengers" mixtape and really liked what I heard there.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

A Violence Gang posted:

I love Randy Newman's '70s work so Zevon's been recommended to me often but I gave his self-titled a cursory listen a while ago and it didn't immediately click for me. Back to that or should I start somewhere else?

To me, Zevon's studio albums are remarkably consistent in tone and quality, which is amazing to me, considering the vast amount of depravity that surrounds him - you can't really go wrong.

That said, I think his strongest albums are Exciteable Boy, Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School and Sentimental Hygiene. Everybody raved over The Wnd because he poor bastard was dying as he made it, but I think it's not as strong as most of his other work.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Chexmix posted:

Anyone know what a good starting point with Fela Kuti would be? I got interested because of K'naan and J. Period's "The Messengers" mixtape and really liked what I heard there.

He never released a bad or even a mediocre album so you can't really go wrong. Expensive poo poo is the most famous album for some reason but I don't think it's in his top 5. I'd say my favourites are Shakara/Lady, Roforofo Fight and Beasts of No Nation but 'tis all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I've got all of his Velvet Underground stuff, what do I do after if I want some more Lou Reed?

edit: And, while I'm in the mood, how about where to start for The Rolling Stones? Just a Greatest Hits thing, or do I need any particular album?

edit2: I've been really deprived. I'm gonna add David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys and New Order to my list of poo poo I need to listen to.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 12, 2009